PDA

View Full Version : Should The Bills Cut Holcomb?

Throne Logic
08-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Let's assume that JP is the starter on opening day.

What if Nall has a good day in the final preseason warmup? I believe that Nall has a legitimate shot at the backup job. A solid performance next week could solidify this.

Holcomb has flat out sucked since he started to fall out of the QB competition. I was expecting a strong rebound performance from him, which obviously never came. He's been sulking around and seems to be morphing into an emotional drain for this team. What if he doesn't snap out of his funk by the last warmup?

Why not cut Holcomb? This would kill any lingering QB contravercy yapping (not that I understand why anyone is behind Holcomb to start at this juncture). KH is too expensive to have as our #3 QB. Plus, it removes a potential cancer for this team. Not that I'm implying that KH will do or say anything bad about JP or this team - in fact, I firmly believe that he absolutely would not do this. However, an emotional black hole can be just as bad.

Put Kingsbury in at the #3 or sign some other QB who's cut next week. Basically, what does this team gain by having KH as our #3.

bills_7
08-28-2006, 02:17 AM
yes cut him now

YardRat
08-28-2006, 02:32 AM
I think experience keeps Holcomb on the team, unless the Rams cut a QB that Fairchild is familiar with and knows the system.

Meathead
08-28-2006, 03:43 AM
no

Historian
08-28-2006, 04:26 AM
I would cut him so he has a legit chance at a second somewhere else.

Give the clipboard to Kingsbury.

Clump, would it save us any cap $ ?

The_Philster
08-28-2006, 05:10 AM
I think they'll keep a close eye on the waiver wire for a replacement

LifetimeBillsFan
08-28-2006, 06:19 AM
Unless a young QB that the coaching staff really likes gets cut before the season starts I would say "No".

Cutting Holcomb would cost the team money that I would prefer that they hold onto for use at some other point. While the Bills still have plenty of cap room to sign a guy off of waivers, why pay two guys to fill one job if you don't have a clearly better alternative to the one you already have? IMHO, let Ralph keep that money in his pocket so that he can use it to pay a little more in signing bonus money for a key player next off-season.

Money aside, Holcomb has not looked very good at all recently, but, for the most part, he's a better option than a lot of the veteran third-string QBs floating around the league. There aren't many veteran third-stringers who you would even want, so, if you are going to replace Holcomb, it would have to be with a young, inexperienced guy. But, that would leave the Bills with three young, inexperienced QBs trying to find their way in the NFL without a veteran to help them along (and, even if Holcomb can't play well, he can be consulted and help Losman and Nall in that manner). If you are going to go that route, you would want to do it with a young guy who has already shown a little something or who you think at least has the potential to be a solid #2 QB in the near future (ie an A.Cassells type guy). Unfortunately, though, teams aren't likely to cut those kinds of young QBs, so at best only one or two might make it onto the waiver wire.

If the Bills could find a young QB that they like on the waiver wire, I would not be opposed to them grabbing him for their # 3 spot, but I just don't htink that it is likely that they will and Kingsbury is not a good enough fit in the Bills' offense to justify keeping him over Holcomb. Holcomb's going to cost the Bills money anyway, but at least he offers the young QBs ahead of him on the depth chart his experience--Kingsbury has an arm that is just as weak as Holcomb's without the experience. If we were talking about a healthy Ochs, after the way Ochs performed in NFLE, it might be a different story.

Let's face it, if the Bills end up having to rely on their 3rd string QB this season, they will be in pretty bad shape--so it doesn't matter whether their # 3 is a vet or a young, inexperienced guy. Right now they don't have a young guy worth holding onto, so unless they find a young guy that they really like, who has some potential, on the waiver wire, there is no reason for them to spend extra money signing someone else off of the waiver wire just to get rid of Holcomb or to make a change. It's not going to make the team better this year and it's not going to save them any money, so why do it?

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 06:30 AM
Keeping holcomb does more harm than good. Hopefully DJ wakes up and realises this

LtFinFan66
08-28-2006, 06:31 AM
Rob Johnson got cut by the giants:couch:

j/k....don't kill me please!!

PUCKER
08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Rob Johnson got cut by the giants:couch:

j/k....don't kill me please!!

*LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL*!!!!!!! Not surprised one bit. :snicker:

PUCKER
08-29-2006, 12:46 AM
I say dump him.

~CHIEF~
08-29-2006, 01:34 AM
I don't like him, but I say keep him (just incase!)

Michael82
08-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Cut his ass, now!

HHURRICANE
08-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Unless a young QB that the coaching staff really likes gets cut before the season starts I would say "No".

Money aside, Holcomb has not looked very good at all recently, but, for the most part, he's a better option than a lot of the veteran third-string QBs floating around the league. There aren't many veteran third-stringers who you would even want, so, if you are going to replace Holcomb, it would have to be with a young, inexperienced guy. But, that would leave the Bills with three young, inexperienced QBs trying to find their way in the NFL without a veteran to help them along (and, even if Holcomb can't play well, he can be consulted and help Losman and Nall in that manner). If you are going to go that route, you would want to do it with a young guy who has already shown a little something or who you think at least has the potential to be a solid #2 QB in the near future (ie an A.Cassells type guy). Unfortunately, though, teams aren't likely to cut those kinds of young QBs, so at best only one or two might make it onto the waiver wire.:posrep:

As long as he's holding the clipboard I completely agree with you! I think he has been successfully neutered. At #3 he can't create a QB contoversy and I'm sure Dick Jauron won't let it happen. I think Holcomb is better than the garbage that's going to get released.

Kenny
08-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Why cut him? From what I've seen, read, and heard, he hasnt done anything that warrants him a starting position.
Unless the guys on the team are seeing something that we all dont (which I highly doubt), I dont see how any one of them could possibly think they have a better chance of winning with KH than with JP (this isnt last season... JP has shown a huge improvement). That alone removes any locker room division/cancer.

JP, -though I love the kid... His play style (scrambling-type QB) plus our somewhat porous OL might lead to him being dinged up a bit this season. Unless you have better options for a backup (Nall certainly hasnt shown anything yet), we need KH as a backup.

BillsNick
08-29-2006, 10:38 AM

Cutting Holcomb would cost the team money that I would prefer that they hold onto for use at some other point. While the Bills still have plenty of cap room to sign a guy off of waivers, why pay two guys to fill one job if you don't have a clearly better alternative to the one you already have? IMHO, let Ralph keep that money in his pocket so that he can use it to pay a little more in signing bonus money for a key player next off-season.

Money aside, Holcomb has not looked very good at all recently, but, for the most part, he's a better option than a lot of the veteran third-string QBs floating around the league. There aren't many veteran third-stringers who you would even want, so, if you are going to replace Holcomb, it would have to be with a young, inexperienced guy. But, that would leave the Bills with three young, inexperienced QBs trying to find their way in the NFL without a veteran to help them along (and, even if Holcomb can't play well, he can be consulted and help Losman and Nall in that manner). If you are going to go that route, you would want to do it with a young guy who has already shown a little something or who you think at least has the potential to be a solid #2 QB in the near future (ie an A.Cassells type guy). Unfortunately, though, teams aren't likely to cut those kinds of young QBs, so at best only one or two might make it onto the waiver wire.

If the Bills could find a young QB that they like on the waiver wire, I would not be opposed to them grabbing him for their # 3 spot, but I just don't htink that it is likely that they will and Kingsbury is not a good enough fit in the Bills' offense to justify keeping him over Holcomb. Holcomb's going to cost the Bills money anyway, but at least he offers the young QBs ahead of him on the depth chart his experience--Kingsbury has an arm that is just as weak as Holcomb's without the experience. If we were talking about a healthy Ochs, after the way Ochs performed in NFLE, it might be a different story.

Let's face it, if the Bills end up having to rely on their 3rd string QB this season, they will be in pretty bad shape--so it doesn't matter whether their # 3 is a vet or a young, inexperienced guy. Right now they don't have a young guy worth holding onto, so unless they find a young guy that they really like, who has some potential, on the waiver wire, there is no reason for them to spend extra money signing someone else off of the waiver wire just to get rid of Holcomb or to make a change. It's not going to make the team better this year and it's not going to save them any money, so why do it?

:goodpost:

Dozerdog
08-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Keep Holcomb as a 3rd stringer- I don't want to be last year's Jets hoping Brooks Bollinger and a crusty old Vinny T can keep a score within 3 TDs

patmoran2006
08-29-2006, 10:49 AM
to the best of my knowledge, there is little if no signifcant cap saving by cutting Holcomb.. SO I wouldnt cut him.. Put him at #3 and let him rot, unless something crazy goes down.

I hate him, but if a couple injuries happened, Id rather have him than Klingsbury.

LtFinFan66
08-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Wasn't Klingsbury cut:idunno:

HHURRICANE
08-29-2006, 11:13 AM
Keep Holcomb as a 3rd stringer- I don't want to be last year's Jets hoping Brooks Bollinger and a crusty old Vinny T can keep a score within 3 TDs:bf1:

dugger
08-29-2006, 01:02 PM
I say keep him this year if we brought in another qb it would take him atleast 2 months to learn the offence.Next year pick up a young qb in the later rounds of the draft to back up jp.Personally i don't like the short dump off passes Holcomb does the defence can change there gameplan for that

ublinkwescore
08-29-2006, 02:35 PM
I vote yes.