• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Breaking my Silence: My Bills Preseason Take

I wanted to watch more Bills camp and preseason before writing anything. So unfortunately for all of you, my silence is now officially broken.

* I said before training camp that I thought this was a team that would only win 2-4 games this year, and after more than a month of camp and preseason games I feel even stronger about that. I DONT think this team sucks, let me get that off my chest now. I actually like a lot of the young talent that we have, and I'm feeling pretty good about the future after seeing some of them play. I just dont think its going to take more than ONE camp for this team to develop chemistry, play as a complete unit and win games in the second half. We're going to lose a lot of close games this year. Next offseason this team needs to address BOTH sides of the line as priority number one, as I think we have plenty of "skill players."

* I think Lee Evans is already showing he's a legit #1 WR in this league. I love the rapport he and JP have built and its going to extend into some big games.

*Speaking of JP, he's going to give us all a heart attack this year. This guy can make some great plays, and he also is going to make plenty of ******ed plays. You gotta go with him though and hope as the season goes on the bonehead mistakes will minimize. Thank GOD that it looks like Holcomb is the odd man out. I'm also a fan of Nall, and he may end up getting a chance to start this season.. Not sure what it is, but there is something about him I really like.

* Offensive line = same old story. They are simply NOT good enough. Just "being improved" over last year's unit means nothing, because it cant get much worse than last year. JP HAS to be the starter because he's the most equipped of the three to run for his life.

* Josh Reed was a complete and utter waste of $10 million (including $2 mill up front) by Marv Levy. Because of that, someone deserving like George Wilson is going to get cut. Andre Davis looks like a crappy signing too (though it really didnt cost the Bills anything to give him a shot). Personally, I'm thinking Wilson is going to make the team over Davis (and I think Aiken is the 6th WR).

* NOBODY on this board is a bigger TKO fan than I am. And its impossible to judge someone after playing only 13 snaps. But I'm thinking he's not even CLOSE to being 100% and who knows if he ever will be. Thats a TOUGH injury to come back from. This defense absolutely NEEDS him being a monster and making plays all over the field.

* The way Jabrari Greer is looking, as well as King.. And given the other holes on this team.. We gave Nate Clements FRANCHISE money why? It's not that I dont think he's good.. but he's not THAT good and he sure as hell aint worth $7+ million to a team like this.. God, I wish we had a chance for a mulligan there, take some lumps and start Greer for a year with Youboty being groomed (and spend Nate's money on the OL).

* I am EXTREMELY impressed with our rookie class. Whitner is going to be VERY good, I like McCargo in the role he'll have.. Simpson always seems to be around the ball and he's got great size back there.. Youboty its hard to say but he's got a lot of talent. but I'm ESPECIALLY impressed with Kyle Williams. This guy WILL be the starter by mid-season and he's going to be VERY good in this league.. I LOVE the way Marv committed to defense in this draft, and by 2007 this unit will be GREATLY improved because of that. Great job on the draft, Marv.

* I dont hate jauron as our coach as much as I did when we first signed him, but I STILL dont like him. I think he's going to have Losman on a very short leash, and I dont like that at all. I DO like Fairchild and Fewel as our coordinators.

* By the end of this season, people will start to respect Tom Donahoe's more recent drafting.. Evans and Angelo Crowell are going to have break out years; and Roscoe Parrish is going to make some solid contributions. Donahoe will always be linked to that awful Mike Williams pick, but his overall drafting was better than people give credit for.

* Willis is going to be a Willis, although a slightly better version. He's going to have some 140 yard rushing games. .He's also going to have a full of games where he runs for less than 40 yards.

* At the end of the day, the defense is too young and inconsistent. The offense will look good at times but kill us with the most untimely of turnovers. What Bills fans can best hope for is the young guys develop and get better as the season goes on, so we can head into 2007 with the potential to contend for the division.
    2006 Prediction: 3-13.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: Breaking my Silence: My Bills Preseason Take

So unfortunately for all of you, my silence is now officially broken.

Greer and King looked awful at the end of the game.

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

Thanks Pat...now I officially need bifocals, lol.

I think they're better than 3-13, I think they have a lot of young talent. The question is how long does it take them to become a team?

I agree, I think this will end up going down as a very productive draft.

As for DJ, I'm sorry, I like him already. He's honest and forthright, he's insightful, and he's got the pedigree to go along with it.

I'm confident he will be the coach to bring us out of the abyss...eventually.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006
        I
        * Josh Reed was a complete and utter waste of $10 million (including $2 mill up front) by Marv Levy. Because of that, someone deserving like George Wilson is going to get cut. Andre Davis looks like a crappy signing too (though it really didnt cost the Bills anything to give him a shot). Personally, I'm thinking Wilson is going to make the team over Davis (and I think Aiken is the 6th WR).

I was wondering if anyone else noticed Wilson. I've been clamoring for him since last year. He was great last year and I kept yelling that he should make the team. This past game should have cemented the fact that he's a great WR that just needs to get more reps and on the field more. That one handed grab in the end zone that almost resulted in a TD should be a perfect reason why. He also made a fine catch later. He has an order of magnitude more upside than Reed does and needs to be kept on the team. My only hope is that Marv and Jauron agree and see his talent!!!

Comment

• BigZ
          • Sep 2003

Pat,

As usual, a very insightful post. I agree with most of what you say but I am starting to like Jauron and I think the OL will get better the more they play together. I think the record will be closer to even - say 6 and 10 - but that just could be wishful thinking.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
            Lets GO BUFFALO!!
            • Jun 2005

I knew it was awefully quiet around here lately. (J/K) I dont agree with some of what you said but I do agree with you like I said the day after draft is that this draft is going to be solid and some people media alike will be eating alot of CROW.

But I see this team being better then 3 wins sorry. I say 7-9 or 8-8 at worst.

Comment

• feelthepain
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Mar 2005

I also think the Bills are better then 3-13. As for Juron and the short leash on JP, this will be another HC that won't let him play through his growing pains. Most Bill fans want JP to play as long as it takes for him to work through the kinks, but HC's in the NFL don't have that luxury. It's a result oriented business and thats why it's hard to wait for players to develop, especially the QB. JP has shown flashes, but even Bill fans have to be concerned that JP will make one great play then three not so great plays. He has improved since his first season, question is, how long will it take him to get to the point where his mistakes don't equal or surpass his good plays.

Comment

• Kenny
                • Aug 2004

* I said before training camp that I thought this was a team that would only win 2-4 games this year, and after more than a month of camp and preseason games I feel even stronger about that. I DONT think this team sucks, let me get that off my chest now. I actually like a lot of the young talent that we have, and I'm feeling pretty good about the future after seeing some of them play. I just dont think its going to take more than ONE camp for this team to develop chemistry, play as a complete unit and win games in the second half. We're going to lose a lot of close games this year. Next offseason this team needs to address BOTH sides of the line as priority number one, as I think we have plenty of "skill players."

While I agree with practically all your points, I still think we'll get 4-6 wins this year. As bad as we are right now, I just cant see us being any worse than last year.

But then again, who knows? On any given Sunday right?
                Look at what happened with the Fins last year.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                  Roways rooking ahread!
                  • Sep 2005

Pat, we are playing 7 equally confused and less talented teams so we lose over half of those games and bring no game for the other supposed "better" teams? You really cannot say who will be good this year, via injuries and other variables. Look what happened when donovan went down last year, the eagles crashed. They we're picked to win the SB and they got to draft pretty high great D-fense and all. Tom Brady gets hurt / Daunte C. has complications or get's reinjured do you then toss the division towards them? I figure that either Miami or NE fall down and we start a winning trend here, maybe earlier than everybody thinks. I feel that 3 wins is basically you being, pat.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                    • Feb 2005

Pat good to hear from u, I agree especially with the oline comments, i have had a few threads posted that there is still room for a huge improvement, also i agree with about JP, but i think is upside is more than his downside, now he is actually starting to look like a compitent QB, but all in all the running game looks crappy and i also think our D will be better that it was, but i have not been impressed with Larry Tripplett he was getting pushed around in that game, i hope it is better in the reg season
                    XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                      Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                      • Jan 2004

* I DONT think this team sucks, let me get that off my chest now. I actually like a lot of the young talent that we have, and I'm feeling pretty good about the future after seeing some of them play. I just dont think its going to take more than ONE camp for this team to develop chemistry, play as a complete unit and win games in the second half. We're going to lose a lot of close games this year.

*Speaking of JP, he's going to give us all a heart attack this year. This guy can make some great plays, and he also is going to make plenty of ******ed plays.

* Offensive line = same old story.
                      all reasons why i see no more than 5 wins... with them losing at least 4 or 5 games by 7 or less - which is a good sign. i'd rather take 5 wins, and a handful of close losses instead of 5 wins and a ton of blow outs... it shows promise.

i just hope the fans don't give up on JP because he is going to struggle for the first half of the season and I don't think a lot of people will have the patience to deal with it. if he doesn't start to turn it around mid season then the writing is no doubt on the wall.

Comment

• raphael120
                        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                        • Oct 2005

All i know is I see us being the same team we've seen in preseason so far. Good...but just not quite good enough. we're losing games by small margins, and 1 or 2 bonehead plays. I think if we can actually pull it all together, we can go 8-8.

Comment

• BigGabes23
                          • Mar 2006

Anyone who defends Tom Donahoe should be asked to leave the zone.

Comment

• jmb1099
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by feelthepain
                            I also think the Bills are better then 3-13. As for Juron and the short leash on JP, this will be another HC that won't let him play through his growing pains. Most Bill fans want JP to play as long as it takes for him to work through the kinks, but HC's in the NFL don't have that luxury. It's a result oriented business and thats why it's hard to wait for players to develop, especially the QB. JP has shown flashes, but even Bill fans have to be concerned that JP will make one great play then three not so great plays. He has improved since his first season, question is, how long will it take him to get to the point where his mistakes don't equal or surpass his good plays.
                            Good points.
                            Here's what I see. In the areas he needed to improve Losman has. There were a million threads here about his new fumbling problem, but he said it would be corrected and it was. Yes he bobbled a snap, but he fell on the ball rather than turn it over. His pocket presence has improved. The 55 yard td bomb to Price came under pressure, he stepped into the pocket threw the ball and took a big hit. Last year he would have run or scrambled around. While its only preseason look at his stats, third in the NFL. All that said I do think he will struggle at times because every qb does. Will Jauron have the gahones to leave him in? I hope so, but time will tell.

Comment

• elltrain22
                              • Sep 2003

Very insightful post. I agree w/ most all of what you said. The main thing that holds this team back is both the o & the dee line. We can't control the line of scrimmage, and w/o that, your not going to be successful. I don't think we're so bad that we only get 3 wins though. I see us winning 5,6, maybe 7. It'll start out rough, but I believe this team will get better each game, even though the score may not say so. I totally agree w/ our rookie crop this year, especially Kyle Williams, love this guy. Whitner is going to be a pro bowler in a year or two, and Youboty & Simpson have alot of talent. I love Clements, but I gotta agree w/ your assessment about that.

nice post dogg.
                              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
                              X