PDA

View Full Version : Final cuts made with a day to spare!

Ron Burgundy
08-28-2006, 10:05 AM
The Buffalo Bills made the required nine cuts they needed to a day before the league deadline of 4pm Tuesday. The coaching staff released cornerback James Bethea, defensive end Josh Cooper, wide receiver Chris Denney, offensive lineman Aaron Gibson, quarterback Kliff Kingsbury, safety Rob Lee, wide receiver Martin Nance and kicker Nick Setta. Offensive lineman Dylan McFarland was waived-injured.
All told the Bills released three defensive players, five offensive players and a kicker. The roster is now at the required 75 players.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4066

Now we're waiting for the trimdown to 53 players...still got a week to go, though.

Mitchy moo
08-28-2006, 10:06 AM
The Buffalo Bills made the required nine cuts they needed to a day before the league deadline of 4pm Tuesday. The coaching staff released cornerback James Bethea, defensive end Josh Cooper, wide receiver Chris Denney, offensive lineman Aaron Gibson, quarterback Kliff Kingsbury, safety Rob Lee, wide receiver Martin Nance and kicker Nick Setta. Offensive lineman Dylan McFarland was waived-injured.
All told the Bills released three defensive players, five offensive players and a kicker. The roster is now at the required 75 players.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4066

no suprises there.

L.A. Playa
but but Martin Nance was gonna be a Hall of Famer

Earthquake Enyart
So was Aaron Gibson. :::

Bill Cody
08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I thought Gibson was doing ok.

Dr. Lecter
08-28-2006, 10:10 AM
No surprises. Gibson hasd little PT and I thought of him going after our intial discussion.

It is a shame about McFarland, as he showed some ability but is injury prone.

I hope Setta catches on elsewhere.

As for Nance, I am not surprised although some were in love with the guy.

Nice work RB.

Bill Cody
08-28-2006, 10:11 AM

Should have kept him and cut Reed.

Dr. Lecter
08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Based on what?

Jan Reimers
08-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Actually, Gibson and Nance surprised me, particularly in this round of cuts. I'm not sure that Nance will make it to our PS - he just might sign on as some team's 5th or 6th receiver.

Bill Cody
08-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Based on what?

We know what Reed is. We don't know what Nance could be.

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
The only real talent in that group is Nick Setta, and we would have only needed him for kickoffs.

Apparently Aaron Gibson really is a poor man's Mike Williams.

justasportsfan
08-28-2006, 10:16 AM
I thought Gibson was doing ok.Wilson stepped up and so did Aiken to a certain degree.

Dr. Lecter
08-28-2006, 10:16 AM
We know what Reed is. We don't know what Nance could be.

Reed played well last year and had a good rapport with Losman.

Tatonka
08-28-2006, 10:18 AM
i thought gibson was doing ok.. i had not read anything at all that said that he was doing poorly..

what is the deal there?

i thought at worst he was our back up tackle.. you mean pennington and jerman are better options??

Kerr
08-28-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm a little dissapointed nance and gibson couldn't live up to their potential.

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Damn. It means we better hope a better talent comes available for the 3rd QB position. I will say right now...Holcomb will cause issues in the locker room for JP if he struggles.

Jan Reimers
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
i thought gibson was doing ok.. i had not read anything at all that said that he was doing poorly..

what is the deal there?

i thought at worst he was our back up tackle.. you mean pennington and jerman are better options??
I think Pennington and Jerman are quicker and more athletic, so are better run blockers.

Earthquake Enyart
08-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Nance isn't much of a special teamer. All the other WR's are.

Night Train
08-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Actually, Gibson and Nance surprised me, particularly in this round of cuts. I'm not sure that Nance will make it to our PS - he just might sign on as some team's 5th or 6th receiver.

I wasn't surprised at all. Nance has decent hands but was painfully slower than all the other WR's. Gibson looked out of gas during several of the practices I saw. Also too slow.

22 more players to kick off the active roster ( 75 to 53 in a week ) . Then the surprises will really roll in !

No loyalty by new staff to players on a 5 win team. Eyes wide open.

Tatonka
08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
good point nighttrain.. there is a very good possibility that there will be some huge surprises coming up.

bigbub2352
08-28-2006, 10:44 AM
I was not surprised about Nance he didnt do anything once the pads came on, but i do think Chris Denney will find himself on the PS, Nance too, Wgr 55 AM, was saying that they think the Bills might be trying to hide this guy given the talent and experience we have at WR, so they can develop him there, i dont think this is the case, but wouldnt mind 2 of the 8 spots on the PS going to WR, Gibson was just too slow

raphael120
08-28-2006, 11:06 AM
i dont think anyone is going to be clamoring for holcomb to come back into the game if JP screws up. unless they like to be saying expletives with holcombs name thrown in instead of JPs.

ryjam282
08-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Based on most of the reports from Mikey at camp I thought Nance was doing pretty well and was quite surprised that I didn't see him in any of the games so I can't say I am shocked he was let go. But, if he was doing as well as Mikey said, hopefully he will be on the PS so he can develop a little more and show what he can do next year.

Historian
08-28-2006, 11:18 AM
I think the coaches were afraid of Gibson, lol.

Earthquake Enyart
08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I think the coaches were afraid of Gibson, lol.
Ralph probably saves $500 a day in food alone in cutting him.

PromoTheRobot
08-28-2006, 01:48 PM
They will definitely add Nance to the PS, assuming his buddy Big Ben doesn't talk Coach Cowher into taking him.

PTR

Michael82
08-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Based on most of the reports from Mikey at camp I thought Nance was doing pretty well and was quite surprised that I didn't see him in any of the games so I can't say I am shocked he was let go. But, if he was doing as well as Mikey said, hopefully he will be on the PS so he can develop a little more and show what he can do next year.
He was doing well, but he wasn't getting much reps. I really believe that they intend to hide him on the PS and that's why they kept him off the radar with the preseason.

patmoran2006
08-28-2006, 06:40 PM
They will definitely add Nance to the PS, assuming his buddy Big Ben doesn't talk Coach Cowher into taking him.

PTR

If Big Ben wanted Nance he woulda signed with Pitt to begin with, especially since they are at thinner at WR..

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-28-2006, 09:21 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Aaron Gibson's attempt to revive his career with the Bills ended Monday when the mammoth offensive lineman was among nine players waived by Buffalo.

Gibson, drafted 27th overall in 1999 by the Detroit Lions, had been out of football for two years before signing with the Bills in April. The 6-foot-6, 375-pound guard, showed little progress in practice.

After seeing limited time in Buffalo's first two preseason games, Gibson did not play in a 20-17 preseason loss to Cleveland on Saturday.

Offensive tackle Dylan McFarland, the first of Buffalo's two 2004 seventh-round draft picks, was also released. He was placed on the waived-injured list after missing most of training camp with a knee injury.

The Bills also waived defensive end Joshua Cooper, defensive backs James Bethea and Rob Lee, kicker Nicholas Setta, receivers Chris Denney and Martin Nance, and fourth-string quarterback Kliff Kingsbury
http://wgrz.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=40781

Devin
08-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Gibson surprised me a little, Nance i would have liked to seen here but not really surprised.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-29-2006, 12:10 AM
He was doing well, but he wasn't getting much reps. I really believe that they intend to hide him on the PS and that's why they kept him off the radar with the preseason.

That's what I thought might be the case when he didn't get many reps in training camp after looking good in the OTAs. I do think that they have to be concerned about him hooking up again with his buddy Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh if they want to sign him to the practice squad, though. Nance was a longshot to make the roster, but a possible PS signing with future potential when the Bills signed him and Denney showed a lot more than anyone ever expected, which may land him a PS invite--especially if Nance goes elsewhere.

With Gibson, it was always about his weight and conditioning. At 371, he is just too heavy to be able to move as fast or far as they want the offensive linemen in this offense to move.

With the way that kickers can be inconsistent and get injured, Setta has a pretty good chance of catching on somewhere else during the course of the season given the way that he played this preseason, but there was little chance he could beat out Lindell, so his going is no surprise.

Too bad about McFarland: he was a project who needed time to develop, but injuries kept him from getting enough work in to develop and, at some point, a team simply can't keep waiting, especially when the guy might never get over the injuries completely.

BillsFever21
08-29-2006, 03:18 AM
ROFL @ those who said Gibson was a "great signing"

BillsFever21
08-29-2006, 03:21 AM
I remember stuff like "We helped fix our OL with signing people like Aaron Gibson. He will be good depth at the worst"

Some thought are tackle position was set now,lol

mysticsoto
08-29-2006, 08:06 AM
I remember stuff like "We helped fix our OL with signing people like Aaron Gibson. He will be good depth at the worst"

Some thought are tackle position was set now,lol

Why do you sound so smug and happy? It's a terrible thing for all Bills fans that this didn't work out and that Gibson couldn't keep up. That means we have Jerman as backup again. Did you see Jerman play last year? JP will have a concussion if we are forced to rely on Jerman again...

BillsFever21
08-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Thank you, LTFF for that rep. :up:

BillsFever21
08-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Why do you sound so smug and happy? It's a terrible thing for all Bills fans that this didn't work out and that Gibson couldn't keep up. That means we have Jerman as backup again. Did you see Jerman play last year? JP will have a concussion if we are forced to rely on Jerman again...

I'm not happy he sucked but I think it's funny how the overly optimistic people once again thought this was a great signing and our tackle position was set now and talked crap about everyone who didn't think it was a great signing when we were right. Some had him penciled in as the starter.

Their excuse was we fixed the line in FA with bringing in somebody like Gibson who has always been a bum.

Reyes doesn't look much better. He reminds me of Bennie Anderson with all the penalties he's had the last couple games.

I guess someone could've been worse then Jerman as backup...that's Gibson, seeing as he couldn't even beat him out of a roster spot.

Marv failed to neglect the position in FA and the draft this season. It's his fault we still have Jerman as our backup. He should've seen it as a bigger priority then to just rely on Aaron Gibson filling the spot and drafting somebody in the 6th round to fill the need too.

All the extra cap space we have and all the money we spent on some junk this offseason along with signing 3rd-4th option WR's and backup SS's for 2.5 million a year we could've gotten ourselves a better option for our backup position in FA or the draft instead of signing a loser like Gibson.

BillsFever21
08-29-2006, 08:17 AM

It's a terrible thing when Bills fans defended this signing and Marv for bringing in Gibson as the only option in FA. But he was re-born and re-dedicated to becoming a better player.

This is what blind faith will get you. Believing that signing Gibson as our only option in the offseason was gonna fill the needs on our OL and then crying when Jerman is our best option now.

mysticsoto
08-29-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm not happy he sucked but I think it's funny how the overly optimistic people once again thought this was a great signing and our tackle position was set now and talked crap about everyone who didn't think it was a great signing when we were right. Some had him penciled in as the starter.

Their excuse was we fixed the line in FA with bringing in somebody like Gibson who has always been a bum.

Reyes doesn't look much better. He reminds me of Bennie Anderson with all the penalties he's had the last couple games.

I guess someone could've been worse then Jerman as backup...that's Gibson, seeing as he couldn't even beat him out of a roster spot.

Marv failed to neglect the position in FA and the draft this season. It's his fault we still have Jerman as our backup. He should've seen it as a bigger priority then to just rely on Aaron Gibson filling the spot and drafting somebody in the 6th round to fill the need too.

All the extra cap space we have and all the money we spent on some junk this offseason along with signing 3rd-4th option WR's and backup SS's for 2.5 million a year we could've gotten ourselves a better option for our backup position in FA or the draft instead of signing a loser like Gibson.

You make it sound as if there was a free agent overflowing in the offseason. One of the Olinemen people were clamoring for the most was Bentley - and look at where he is now! Hutchinson was another and he just became too expensive for a Linemen.

I think Marv did what he was supposed to do. Find temporary FAs to replace the fodder we had last year, and that along with our own backups like McFarland were supposed to be a band-aid solution - with the more permanent solution being to draft and let McNally train new guys until they are ready to step in.

If you have another brilliant hindsight solution that he should of done, please list it.

As it is, there were slim pickings in FA but we drafted 3 potentials that will probably make the PS to mold. I really didn't see many alternatives to what was done...

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 08:53 AM
You make it sound as if there was a free agent overflowing in the offseason. One of the Olinemen people were clamoring for the most was Bentley - and look at where he is now! Hutchinson was another and he just became too expensive for a Linemen.

I think Marv did what he was supposed to do. Find temporary FAs to replace the fodder we had last year, and that along with our own backups like McFarland were supposed to be a band-aid solution - with the more permanent solution being to draft and let McNally train new guys until they are ready to step in.

If you have another brilliant hindsight solution that he should of done, please list it.

As it is, there were slim pickings in FA but we drafted 3 potentials that will probably make the PS to mold. I really didn't see many alternatives to what was done...
:bf1:

It was also MArv's fault that teams that were originally in cap trouble all of a sudden had cap to compete with us because of the CBA.