PDA

View Full Version : So it's official that Jauron will hold off naming JP the starter

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2006, 03:05 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4070

My theory is that since it worked well after he named JP the frontrunning but not the starter -- seeing JP pushed himself and improved game after game, he chose to leave it that way.

That follows logically of this whole "QB competition" theme, which I have no doubt, is designed to push JP as much as they could in this camp. If it works now, why change anything?

But after Thursday, the uncertainty (if we can say it's an uncertainty) will serve no purpose and I expect Jauron to came out, even possibly after the game on Thursday, to name JP the starter.

For all intention and purpose, JP is getting the treatment of a starter. It's not like because of the still-going competition, he's not getting enough reps or time with the first team.

A side effect is that JP is earning some respect from important guys like Evans, McGahee, all speaking glowingly about him after the Cleveland game.

Coming to think about it, I may call Evans the most skilled offensive player of the Bills right now. McGahee may pass him if he goes out and perform like he said he would during the season. Ultimately, however, I hope JP takes this title by the end of the year.

Mitchy moo
08-28-2006, 03:06 PM
My theory is that since it worked well after he named JP the frontrunning but not the starter -- seeing JP pushed himself and improved game after game, he chose to leave it that way.

That follows logically of this whole "QB competition" theme, which I have no doubt, is designed to push JP as much as they could in this camp. If it works now, why change anything?

But after Thursday, the uncertainty (if we can say it's an uncertainty) will serve no purpose and I expect Jauron to came out, even possibly after the game on Thursday, to name JP the starter.

For all intention and purpose, JP is getting the treatment of a starter. It's not like because of the still-going competition, he's not getting enough reps or time with the first team.

A side effect is that JP is earning some respect from important guys like Evans, McGahee, all speaking glowingly about him after the Cleveland game.

Coming to think about it, I may call Evans the most skilled offensive player of the Bills right now. McGahee may pass him if he goes out and perform like he said he would during the season. Ultimately, however, I hope JP takes this title by the end of the year.

I could of sworn I had seen this somewhere else, hummmmm.

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Jauron is a joke of a coach. It would be nice to have a real HC for once.

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
what's the point of this? JP's performance in the preseason was significantly better than the other two- I don't know how anyone in their right mind could still think Nall or Holcomb has won the job.

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 03:48 PM
what's the point of this? JP's performance in the preseason was significantly better than the other two- I don't know how anyone in their right mind could still think Nall or Holcomb has won the job.

He is a weak HC.

John Doe
08-28-2006, 04:40 PM
People don't seem to understand that when Jauron labels someone a "frontrunner" at this point of the season it is the same as calling him the starter. Apparently, this is the way he does it. It implies a continuing competition - the basis of his attitude toward player motivation.

It has been been healthy to the cause so far, as "ghz" has correctly pointed out.

The players seem to understand it.

Risin
08-28-2006, 05:17 PM
People don't seem to understand that when Jauron labels someone a "frontrunner" at this point of the season is the same as calling him the starter. Apparently, this is the way he does it. It implies a continuing competition - the basis of his attitude toward player motivation.

It has been been healthy to the cause so far, as "ghz" has correctly pointed out.

That's how I see it too.

I was dead set against DJ being named Head Coach, but he's winning me over. (along with Marv)

We'll see when the bullets fly for real.

ibatiger
08-28-2006, 05:20 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4070

I don't think it's nearly that complicated. The simple fact is that even though it is a virtual lock that Losman will be the starter because of the way things have worked out, he has not done enough to give Jauron the total confidence that he needs to make it official. Neither has he proven that he is above a total flop Thursday night, no matter how many series he gets. Do I think that will happen? No. But I also don't think that when Jauron named Losman the front runner that he thought Nall had a prayer of coming back and doing anything worthwhile in any game except possibly the last game. Nall has shown him enough to validate the potential that he saw in him. Just enough to hedge his final bet all the way to the end. If he names Losman the starter now, what is the only thing that could happen to put egg on his face? Losman could melt down Thursday Night and Nall could continue to be productive, only without any mistakes and make his decision look premature at best and bad at worst. He's just taking the safe route. He's 99% sure how it will work out, but why take a chance? Of course, for him to do it this way he has to be prepared to change in mid-stream no matter how unlikely. His history tells me that he would do just that in the event that things don't work out the way he thinks they will.

Risin
08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't think it's nearly that complicated. The simple fact is that even though it is a virtual lock that Losman will be the starter because of the way things have worked out, he has not done enough to give Jauron the total confidence that he needs to make it official. Neither has he proven that he is above a total flop Thursday night, no matter how many series he gets. Do I think that will happen? No. But I also don't think that when Jauron named Losman the front runner that he thought Nall had a prayer of coming back and doing anything worthwhile in any game except possibly the last game. Nall has shown him enough to validate the potential that he saw in him. Just enough to hedge his final bet all the way to the end. If he names Losman the starter now, what is the only thing that could happen to put egg on his face? Losman could melt down Thursday Night and Nall could continue to be productive, only without any mistakes and make his decision look premature at best and bad at worst. He's just taking the safe route. He's 99% sure how it will work out, but why take a chance? Of course, for him to do it this way he has to be prepared to change in mid-stream no matter how unlikely. His history tells me that he would do just that in the event that things don't work out the way he thinks they will.

Please get it through your head.

Nall is not starter material.

After reading your posts, before seeing him play, I thought we had Jim Kelly Jr.

After watching him perform, I'm a little disappointed.

He has Bledsoe's feet, Rob Johnson's pocket awareness, and average accuracy.

The one big pass play he had was a 10 yard slant, other then that he was playing against a cover 3 or 4 zone, and had literally ALL DAY to throw.

When he was pressured, he forced bad passes, or fumbled.

He is a serviceable backup, who's only chance to start week one is if JP gets hurt.

I'm all for him being the #2, but if he EVER starts over a healthy Losman, I'll question Ralph, Marv, and Jauron's football knowledge.

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 06:21 PM
People don't seem to understand that when Jauron labels someone a "frontrunner" at this point of the season it is the same as calling him the starter. Apparently, this is the way he does it. It implies a continuing competition - the basis of his attitude toward player motivation.

I see it as being a chicken ****. Name the man the starter and stop being a moron about it

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 06:22 PM

Pure crap. Jauron is a wimp of a HC. It would be nice to see him act like a real HC and be a MAN And name the guy. Instead he is playing 5th grade games.

Yeah this team is in really good hands...

Typ0
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Jauron is a joke of a coach. It would be nice to have a real HC for once.

your posts are a joke...it would be nice if you would post something real for once.

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 06:48 PM
your posts are a joke...it would be nice if you would post something real for once.

I did. He is a wimp. Be a MAN, get his pair back from his old lady and start ACTING like a head coach. Playing games this late into the preseason is childish and the sign of a WEAK head coach

HHURRICANE
08-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Nall has shown him enough to validate the potential that he saw in him. Just enough to hedge his final bet all the way to the end. If he names Losman the starter now, what is the only thing that could happen to put egg on his face?

Nall sucks. He's #2 ar best. I'm not impressed.

John Doe
08-28-2006, 07:22 PM
It looks like Jauron knows what he is doing.

He just may turn out to be the right coach at the right time.

Michael82
08-28-2006, 07:58 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't like this "front runner" bull****. IMO, if he doesn't officially name JP Losman the starter right after this game on Thursday, I worry that Jauron will do the same **** that he did in Chicago with the QBs and the same **** that Mularkey did last year. What else does JP have to do to deserve the job? Get the ****ing balls and name him the starter and be done with it! Stick with him until the end of the season and if he doesn't improve, trade him or cut him. But he better not be yanked like last year or I will be on the "Fire the Coach" bandwagon soo fast! :mad:

shelby
08-28-2006, 08:20 PM
You people are way too :curse:ing hostile.
:calm:

ICE74129
08-28-2006, 09:01 PM
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't like this "front runner" bull****. IMO, if he doesn't officially name JP Losman the starter right after this game on Thursday, I worry that Jauron will do the same **** that he did in Chicago with the QBs and the same **** that Mularkey did last year. What else does JP have to do to deserve the job? Get the ****ing balls and name him the starter and be done with it! Stick with him until the end of the season and if he doesn't improve, trade him or cut him. But he better not be yanked like last year or I will be on the "Fire the Coach" bandwagon soo fast! :mad:

I see mikey gets it. Hey Mike..I say DJ's new name is Dick, but no balls, Jauron

John Doe
08-28-2006, 09:03 PM
I think that keeping Losman highly motivated is the way to go.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-29-2006, 01:22 AM

It's all about psychology.

Jauron took over a team with a lockerroom that was so fractured over who should be the starting QB that it imploded last season, where, despite the fact that several of the most vocal veterans in that lockerroom had been shipped out, as little as 2-3 weeks ago his two most productive defensive players (Spikes and Fletcher) were making noises again in the media about Holcomb giving the team its best chance to win. He also inherited a young, inexperienced "QB of the Future" who admittedly coasted some after being named the starting QB last season, who came into the league with a reputation for being immature and cocky, who incited resentment in his older teammates last season, who played poorly last season and was/is considered a "flop" by many observers even though he was not given a fair opportunity to develop by the previous coaching staff or many of his teammates.

In order to get this admittedly rebuilding team back on track, on the same page, and to avoid a repeat of last season's implosion--something that would undermine Jauron's program to rebuild the team before the process even gets started, Jauron was smart enough to recognize that he had to walk a fine line in dealing with his QB situation with this team in order to get them all moving in the right direction.

He would have to use psychology to motivate Losman to mature and improve on his performance of last season--by challenging him--and to get the rest of the team to his ultimate choice of starting QB--by making it appear that there was and would continue to be a competition for the starting QB job in the off-season and preseason.

While many may feel that the program that Jauron devised might not be the ideal way to select a starting QB for a young, rebuilding team, the fact is that it worked--it achieved the results that it was supposed to produce: Losman responded to the challenge by coming back to Buffalo with a more mature attitude, working hard, responding to the coaching that he has gotten, and playing better, which has earned the respect of most of his teammates--respect that he did not have from most of them last year--quieted his critics in the lockerroom and earned him the support of the team's top offensive players as well as the fans and, slowly, the media.

OK, so why not name Losman the starter now? Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! What Jauron has done so far, by not naming Losman the starter, but just the frontrunner, has been working--Losman has continued to improve his play throughout the preseason. He has not gotten complacent while growing in confidence. He has responded to being pushed, to the uncertainty, by continuing to work to get better. So, why should Jauron remove that pressure, why take away that challenge, any sooner than he has to? It's working. Why change things and take a chance that Losman will get complacent? Because the starter is supposed to be annointed two weeks before the start of the regular season? Why? Who says? While that may be the conventional wisdom, the way things are ideally done in most situations, this isn't the usual situation and what Jauron has been doing with Losman and his team has been working. Losman has been progressing and the team has been falling in behind him, supporting him. So, why should Jauron change that before he has to? Because it is conventional wisdom? That's not reason enough to abandon something that has been yielding positive results.

Just consider this: by holding off on naming Losman the starting QB, Jauron not only is continuing to motivate JP, but he virtually has the team's best offensive players begging him to name Losman the starter--this just a year after the team's best offensive player and many of the team's vets were complaining about Losman being named the team's starting QB. Quite a turnaround in attitudes, don'tcha think?

And, what's the difference between Losman being called the "frontrunner" or the starter when he's getting starter's reps? How much will it hurt to name him the starter after the Detroit game instead of five days earlier? Holding off on naming Losman the starter isn't going to hurt the team when JP is getting the starter's reps, but it could help to continue to motivate not just Losman, but Nall, who, believing that he still has a shot at starting, will be motivated to keep working hard enough to turn himself into a clearly better # 2 QB than Holcomb.

Again, it may not be the ideal way to do things, but, if Jauron's psychological games are working--and there is evidence that they are--why should he stop doing what he is doing before he absolutely has to do so?

~CHIEF~
08-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Same ****!

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2006, 02:20 AM

Don't worry Mikey, I've already got that Bandwagon ready to go with a full tank....

:redcar:

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Don't worry Mikey, I've already got that Bandwagon ready to go with a full tank....

:redcar:

I call shotgun!..and I'll bring one :bandwagon

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 08:53 AM
It's all about psychology.

Jauron took over a team with a lockerroom that was so fractured over who should be the starting QB that it imploded last season, where, despite the fact that several of the most vocal veterans in that lockerroom had been shipped out, as little as 2-3 weeks ago his two most productive defensive players (Spikes and Fletcher) were making noises again in the media about Holcomb giving the team its best chance to win. He also inherited a young, inexperienced "QB of the Future" who admittedly coasted some after being named the starting QB last season, who came into the league with a reputation for being immature and cocky, who incited resentment in his older teammates last season, who played poorly last season and was/is considered a "flop" by many observers even though he was not given a fair opportunity to develop by the previous coaching staff or many of his teammates.

In order to get this admittedly rebuilding team back on track, on the same page, and to avoid a repeat of last season's implosion--something that would undermine Jauron's program to rebuild the team before the process even gets started, Jauron was smart enough to recognize that he had to walk a fine line in dealing with his QB situation with this team in order to get them all moving in the right direction.

He would have to use psychology to motivate Losman to mature and improve on his performance of last season--by challenging him--and to get the rest of the team to his ultimate choice of starting QB--by making it appear that there was and would continue to be a competition for the starting QB job in the off-season and preseason.

While many may feel that the program that Jauron devised might not be the ideal way to select a starting QB for a young, rebuilding team, the fact is that it worked--it achieved the results that it was supposed to produce: Losman responded to the challenge by coming back to Buffalo with a more mature attitude, working hard, responding to the coaching that he has gotten, and playing better, which has earned the respect of most of his teammates--respect that he did not have from most of them last year--quieted his critics in the lockerroom and earned him the support of the team's top offensive players as well as the fans and, slowly, the media.

OK, so why not name Losman the starter now? Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! What Jauron has done so far, by not naming Losman the starter, but just the frontrunner, has been working--Losman has continued to improve his play throughout the preseason. He has not gotten complacent while growing in confidence. He has responded to being pushed, to the uncertainty, by continuing to work to get better. So, why should Jauron remove that pressure, why take away that challenge, any sooner than he has to? It's working. Why change things and take a chance that Losman will get complacent? Because the starter is supposed to be annointed two weeks before the start of the regular season? Why? Who says? While that may be the conventional wisdom, the way things are ideally done in most situations, this isn't the usual situation and what Jauron has been doing with Losman and his team has been working. Losman has been progressing and the team has been falling in behind him, supporting him. So, why should Jauron change that before he has to? Because it is conventional wisdom? That's not reason enough to abandon something that has been yielding positive results.

Just consider this: by holding off on naming Losman the starting QB, Jauron not only is continuing to motivate JP, but he virtually has the team's best offensive players begging him to name Losman the starter--this just a year after the team's best offensive player and many of the team's vets were complaining about Losman being named the team's starting QB. Quite a turnaround in attitudes, don'tcha think?

And, what's the difference between Losman being called the "frontrunner" or the starter when he's getting starter's reps? How much will it hurt to name him the starter after the Detroit game instead of five days earlier? Holding off on naming Losman the starter isn't going to hurt the team when JP is getting the starter's reps, but it could help to continue to motivate not just Losman, but Nall, who, believing that he still has a shot at starting, will be motivated to keep working hard enough to turn himself into a clearly better # 2 QB than Holcomb.

Again, it may not be the ideal way to do things, but, if Jauron's psychological games are working--and there is evidence that they are--why should he stop doing what he is doing before he absolutely has to do so?

It isn't Jaruons doing. MM Not being here to screw JP is one of the things that helped. Getting an OC with 1/2 a clue helped. JP did this ON HIS OWN. What part of the FACT The kid has been SELF MOTIVATED from day one is everyone still missing?

Maturity comes with time and age, not a coach with no balls playing head games.

DJ is a joke of a HC that is playing grade school games with his QB's and the team. A strong HC that actually had a clue would have named JP on monday at the very latest.

Most likely the fool told the QB's and the team already the QB comp is over and DJ is screwing with the media and fans. If so we ALL need to be worried. he is more concerned with playing games with the media than getting this team ready to win.

And let me add, there comes a point and time when this 'Motivation' of Jauron becomes detramental. It in fact does the opposite. At some point JP is going to say 'Hell, I can't do anything right and no matter what I do, I can't get this staff fully behind me'. Then what? Quit with the childish head games. Name the man the starter, put the team and media on notice he is our QB REGARDLESS of how he does and put it to bed.

EricStratton
08-29-2006, 09:04 AM
What’s the benefit of naming an official starter to the media this far before the season opener?

The team knows who will start and there is a good chance he’s already told the team and players (not everything is said in public) so I fail to see how this is a big deal.

The next time it matters who the official starter is when the players run out of the tunnel in Foxboro

John Doe
08-29-2006, 09:20 AM
It isn't Jaruons doing. MM Not being here to screw JP is one of the things that helped. Getting an OC with 1/2 a clue helped. JP did this ON HIS OWN. What part of the FACT The kid has been SELF MOTIVATED from day one is everyone still missing?

DJ is a joke of a HC that is playing grade school games with his QB's and the team. A strong HC that actually had a clue would have named JP on monday at the very latest.

Most likely the fool told the QB's and the team already the QB comp is over and DJ is screwing with the media and fans. If so we ALL need to be worried. he is more concerned with playing games with the media than getting this team ready to win.

And let me add, there comes a point and time when this 'Motivation' of Jauron becomes detramental. It in fact does the opposite. At some point JP is going to say 'Hell, I can't do anything right and no matter what I do, I can't get this staff fully behind me'. Then what? Quit with the childish head games. Name the man the starter, put the team and media on notice he is our QB REGARDLESS of how he does and put it to bed.

Jauron is doing a good job.

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Jauron is doing a good job.

On what basis?

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 02:14 PM
On what basis?Isn't JP improving or getting better?

John Doe
08-29-2006, 02:20 PM
On what basis?

That's not even a nice try.

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2006, 02:25 PM
That's not even a nice try.

Hehe....well at least now we know you have nothing to support your post.

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2006, 02:59 PM

Baseless speculation with NO foundation.

EricStratton
08-29-2006, 03:02 PM

So how does todays announcement change your view of the coach?