X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gil
    • Mar 2005

Jauron on George Wilson

this is some pretty effusive praise coming from Jauron - maybe his odds of making the team are improving:

On George Wilson

"He sure looked good at the end of that game the other night. It’s kind of what he does in practice, its how he works. When he caught the ball, you certainly weren’t surprised because he catches almost every ball. When he broke the tackle, you weren’t (surprised), because you know he’s not going to fall down unless you knock him down. And then at the end of the run, you just had a sense that he would straight arm this guy and he did. George is a football player and he likes the game and I think it shows on the field that he likes it. He’s done a real nice job."
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Jauron on George Wilson

i am pulling for him.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I'm always saying "don't root for the player, root for the laundry" because I don't believe in falling in love with individual players...but I will say this...

I've been to multiple sessions of camp the last 2 summers. This guy made the team last year because he caught EVERYTHING and ran perfect,crisp routes. Now, he's doing it all over again.

Something is seriously wrong if he gets cut, because more well known guys aren't doing nearly as well as him. He reminds me of guys like Bill Brooks, Frank Lewis, Bob Chandler etc....you could throw a crappy ball anywhere within 5 yards of these guys and they'd somehow make the catch.

Those guys NEVER get cut. They're too clutch.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

He better make the team, or I will have my 1st beef with this coaching staff!!!

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

I guess he'll be the #6 ahead of Fast Freddie.
          Last edited by Michael82; 08-28-2006, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
            • Jul 2005

That was about the most effusive praise I've heard Jauron give about anybody all camp. GW ain't getting cut.
            Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I think Josh Reed is about the biggest dilemma the Bills have right now. You pretty much know Lee Evans and Peerless Price are going to make the regular season roster. It's tough to imagine Buffalo cutting Sam Aiken who finally showed he need not just be a special teamer. Roscoe Parrish is a role player in the WR position because of his size, but he's a second round draft choice with blazing speed and the potential to do what Peerless did in the Cleveland game. That's 4 roster spots. You've got Jonathon Smith who 's useful as a special teamer and can make an important punt return from time to time. And you've got George Wilson who catches everything thrown his way. That's 6 guys who would make a nice receiving corps.

Then you've got Josh Reed. He's OK as a receiver, but drops too many balls and can't really play special teams. He can't do anything that George Wilson can't do, or Sam Aiken or anyone else among the WRs. In other words, he's really very ordinary except that he just signed a contract and got a 2 million dollar signing bonus. The question with Reed is not, "Is he worth it?" It's, "Can we afford to cut him?" That's the only reason that it could be hard for the Bills to keep Wilson. I guess my thinking is that Reed's bonus would be prorated over 2 years as a post June 1 cut. That one million per year is probably going to be less that what Reed's cap liability is if he plays, while George Wilson is going to be playing for peanuts in NFL scale salaries. Thus the Bills probably can afford to cut Reed if they want to.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                Roways rooking ahread!
                • Sep 2005

He made the squad with those DJ words.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                  I think Josh Reed is about the biggest dilemma the Bills have right now. You pretty much know Lee Evans and Peerless Price are going to make the regular season roster. It's tough to imagine Buffalo cutting Sam Aiken who finally showed he need not just be a special teamer. Roscoe Parrish is a role player in the WR position because of his size, but he's a second round draft choice with blazing speed and the potential to do what Peerless did in the Cleveland game. That's 4 roster spots. You've got Jonathon Smith who 's useful as a special teamer and can make an important punt return from time to time. And you've got George Wilson who catches everything thrown his way. That's 6 guys who would make a nice receiving corps.

Then you've got Josh Reed. He's OK as a receiver, but drops too many balls and can't really play special teams. He can't do anything that George Wilson can't do, or Sam Aiken or anyone else among the WRs. In other words, he's really very ordinary except that he just signed a contract and got a 2 million dollar signing bonus. The question with Reed is not, "Is he worth it?" It's, "Can we afford to cut him?" That's the only reason that it could be hard for the Bills to keep Wilson. I guess my thinking is that Reed's bonus would be prorated over 2 years as a post June 1 cut. That one million per year is probably going to be less that what Reed's cap liability is if he plays, while George Wilson is going to be playing for peanuts in NFL scale salaries. Thus the Bills probably can afford to cut Reed if they want to.
                  There are 2 things that save Josh Reed....

1. His contract
                  2. His blocking ability

Comment

• G. Host
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                    There are 2 things that save Josh Reed....

1. His contract
                    2. His blocking ability
                    3. His ability to break tackles - he did so yet again last night - which shows why he is converted RB.
                    on the other hand falls down if wind is going wrong direction.

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
                      3. His ability to break tackles - he did so yet again last night - which shows why he is converted RB.
                      on the other hand falls down if wind is going wrong direction.
                      good point. I forgot about his ability to break tackles. I still love watching the replay of his run after the catch against the Patriots last year.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        good point. I forgot about his ability to break tackles. I still love watching the replay of his run after the catch against the Patriots last year.
                        Easily one of the top 5 offensive hi lights of last year.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Night Train
                          I'm always saying "don't root for the player, root for the laundry" because I don't believe in falling in love with individual players...but I will say this...

I've been to multiple sessions of camp the last 2 summers. This guy made the team last year because he caught EVERYTHING and ran perfect,crisp routes. Now, he's doing it all over again.

Something is seriously wrong if he gets cut, because more well known guys aren't doing nearly as well as him. He reminds me of guys like Bill Brooks, Frank Lewis, Bob Chandler etc....you could throw a crappy ball anywhere within 5 yards of these guys and they'd somehow make the catch.

Those guys NEVER get cut. They're too clutch.
                          My feelings precisely.

I was not a Wilson fan, but he has earned my respect over the past two training camps and I am hoping that he makes the team.

While I am disappointed in Josh Reed, Jauron has also spoken highly of his blocking ability and he does seem to be able to get open often enough to get not only the catches he makes, but the drops he has as well. So, I can still see him making the team this year.

The guy that I don't see making it is J.Smith. He has already been passed on the depth charts by Shaud Williams on special teams and he just doesn't bring enough in the passing game. With Nance cut--I really hope that they sign him to the practice squad before Roethlisberger has the Steelers scoop him up--here's how I see the Bills WR corps:

Evans and Price
                          Parrish and Reed
                          Wilson and Aiken
                          with Davis as a possibility if they keep 7 WRs
                          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Why does Reed's contract protect him? It was only a $2 million signing bonus......if released, he would count $500,000 on 2006 and $1.5 million on 2007.......peanuts compared to some of the players the Bills have released in recent yrs.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2006, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• ~CHIEF~
                              ~ I'm A Hustler ~
                              • Aug 2006

I bet all my ZB's he makes the team, any takers?

Comment

Working...
                              X