PDA

View Full Version : Tim Anderson #1 on the depth chart

BILLSROCK1212
08-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Never really thought Kyle Williams would stay up there on the depth chart but he could get the spot back sometime this season.

Billsrock4life
08-28-2006, 06:30 PM
according to billsdigest kyle williams has really impressed thus far

John Doe
08-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Other items on the depth chart were also very interesting today:

Keith Ellison has moved ahead of Stamer to be the back-up for Crowell. It looks like Stamer has to fight it out with Haggan and Joe Odom for the last linebacker spot.

Greg Jerman is the main backup at both left and right tackle postions. He will make the team based on his versatility if nothing else. Both of the rookie tackles (Pennington and Butler) may not make the team.

Justin Geisinger is now the backup to Duke Preston at Center and right guard - it looks like he might make make the team.

Jason Thomas is the backup left guard. This guy has really been under the radar so far.

BILLSROCK1212
08-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Justin Geisinger is now the backup to Duke Preston at Center and right guard - it looks like he might make make the team.

Jason Thomas is the backup left guard. This guy has really been under the radar so far.

Justing Geisinger is the third string C and RG because Duke is backing up Melvin Fowler and Chris Villarial and Jason Thomas? a waist of a roster spot

HHURRICANE
08-28-2006, 07:24 PM
I thought Aaron Gibson was making the team. So much for that!! Man you must suck if you can't make it on our OL!!!

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 08:04 PM
the title of this thread just gave me a sinking feeling. Anderson sucks- if Williams and McCargo couldn't beat him out, that doesn't bode well for our DL this season.

Tatonka
08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
the title of this thread just gave me a sinking feeling. Anderson sucks- if Williams and McCargo couldn't beat him out, that doesn't bode well for our DL this season.

you get a sinking feeling just from realizing your alive every morning.. the status of the bills dline has nothing to do with it.

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 08:14 PM
you get a sinking feeling just from realizing your alive every morning.. the status of the bills dline has nothing to do with it.

right, because how I feel about a consistently disappointing football season is how I feel about everything in life :rolleyes:

Oh, wait, didn't I say that to you yesterday, and you totally ignored it? Since my posts seem to bother you so much, you should just ignore all of them.

But, if a starting DL that includes Tim Anderson is satisfactory to you, you either don't know very much about football or don't care how well this team does.

BILLSROCK1212
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
the title of this thread just gave me a sinking feeling. Anderson sucks- if Williams and McCargo couldn't beat him out, that doesn't bode well for our DL this season.McCargo was never competing with Anderson or Williams for that position

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 08:25 PM
McCargo was never competing with Anderson or Williams for that position

I see, so we spent a first and third round draft pick on a position where we already have a solid starter. Great move, Marv.

BILLSROCK1212
08-28-2006, 08:26 PM
I see, so we spent a first and third round draft pick on a position where we already have a solid starter. Great move, Marv.

McCargo doesnt play RDT only LDT Williams still has a shot at the job and just so you know Williams was a 5th rounder

John Doe
08-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I like the 4 player rotation that Marv and Jauron have set up.

It should keep them fresh.

G. Host
08-28-2006, 08:28 PM

Bills will be rotating DTs all game so whether he is a starter or not may not make a big difference in number of downs.

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 08:30 PM
McCargo doesnt play RDT only LDT Williams still has a shot at the job and just so you know Williams was a 5th rounder

Ok, let me slow down so you can comprehend.

McCargo plays LDT. Larry Tripplett is the starter at LDT. In order to get McCargo, we had to trade a 3rd round draft pick, then select him with the first round draft pick.

So, rather than getting a guy via FA, draft or trade who can start next to Tripplett, we spend 2 draft picks on Tripplett's back up and end up with a starting lineup that includes Tim Anderson.

If Williams beats out Anderson, he might be the steal of the draft. But the McCargo pick has me scratching my head.

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Bills will be rotating DTs all game so whether he is a starter or not may not make a big difference in number of downs.

it'll make a differerence when McCargo is on the field at the same time as Tim Anderson or the guy who couldn't beat out Tim Anderson.

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 08:33 PM
I like the 4 player rotation that Marv and Jauron have set up.

It should keep them fresh.

Good- at least when Tim Anderson gets blown off the ball on a running play, he won't be out of breath. I don't have a problem with a 4 man rotation, as long as there are 4 guys worthy of rotating.

John Doe
08-28-2006, 08:41 PM
I think that Anderson is going to have a solid year.

The new defense seems to suit him better than last year's.

OpIv37
08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I think that Anderson is going to have a solid year.

The new defense seems to suit him better than last year's.

I hope you're right because I don't have any confidence in him. The only thing he did well last year was bat down passes, and if a DT is batting down passes it means he's too far from the QB to attempt a tackle.

John Doe
08-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Anderson is know for his uncanny ability to knock down passes.

Not everyone can do that - its a real knack.

YardRat
08-28-2006, 08:48 PM
I hope you're right because I don't have any confidence in him. The only thing he did well last year was bat down passes, and if a DT is batting down passes it means he's too far from the QB to attempt a tackle.

That may be the design of the defense, though, not an inadequacy on the part of Anderson.

Goobylal
08-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Other items on the depth chart were also very interesting today:

Keith Ellison has moved ahead of Stamer to be the back-up for Crowell. It looks like Stamer has to fight it out with Haggan and Joe Odom for the last linebacker spot.

Greg Jerman is the main backup at both left and right tackle postions. He will make the team based on his versatility if nothing else. Both of the rookie tackles (Pennington and Butler) may not make the team.

Actually I think it's the starting 5, then Preston, Jerman, Thomas (since he's the only backup LG), and Butler. I don't see them keeping 10, but if they do, then I see Geisinger sticking but being placed on the PS if they don't.

John Doe
08-28-2006, 09:00 PM
Actually I think it's the starting 5, then Preston, Jerman, Thomas (since he's the only backup LG), and Butler. I don't see them keeping 10, but if they do, then I see Geisinger sticking but being placed on the PS if they don't.

That is certainly possible.

It could also be the starting 5 plus Jerman at flip tackle (left and right side), Preston, Geisinger, and Thomas. That is actually the most flexible set. If Preston has to fill in at either guard or center he has a built-in backup at either spot. the only problem is that it leaves only 3 true tackles on the squad. But, if you try to keep both rookie tackles on the practice squad, it is likely that at least one of them is going to be there when times get tough.

I agree that they will not keep 10.

I really could go either way.

Goobylal
08-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Butler shows a lot of potential and would probably get scooped-up if cut. Pennington is worth developing, but will probably make it to the PS. I just think that Geisinger being demoted to 3rd string means kaputsville for him, especially with Thomas, a failed LT, being moved to 2nd string LG. I don't know, anything is possible.

BILLSROCK1212
08-28-2006, 09:15 PM

McCargo plays LDT. Larry Tripplett is the starter at LDT. In order to get McCargo, we had to trade a 3rd round draft pick, then select him with the first round draft pick.

So, rather than getting a guy via FA, draft or trade who can start next to Tripplett, we spend 2 draft picks on Tripplett's back up and end up with a starting lineup that includes Tim Anderson.

If Williams beats out Anderson, he might be the steal of the draft. But the McCargo pick has me scratching my head.

Don't forget Tripplett wasn't a fulltime player in Indy and may share time with McCargo in Buffalo.

John Doe
08-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Butler shows a lot of potential and would probably get scooped-up if cut. Pennington is worth developing, but will probably make it to the PS. I just think that Geisinger being demoted to 3rd string means kaputsville for him, especially with Thomas, a failed LT, being moved to 2nd string LG. I don't know, anything is possible.

You're right that it would certainly be tough to part with Butler - it is likely that someone would like to take a look at him. But, he really is in the same boat as Geisinger (third string).

It is really going to be a tough cut. Does Geisinger have any practice squad eligibility left?

BILLSROCK1212
08-28-2006, 09:22 PM
You're right that it would certainly be tough to part with Butler - it is likely that someone would like to take a look at him. But, he really is in the same boat as Geisinger (third string).

It is really going to be a tough cut. Does Geisinger have any practice squad eligibility left?this year and next bro

John Doe
08-28-2006, 09:28 PM
this year and next bro

Maybe that is the way to go then.

HHURRICANE
08-28-2006, 09:28 PM

Yeah I never understood the McCrago pick and I still don't. We drafted a backup in the first round. Someone explain that one to me!!!

John Doe
08-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah I never understood the McCrago pick and I still don't. We drafted a backup in the first round. Someone explain that one to me!!!

Jauron has said that the only way that this pursuit defense works is with quality depth at tackle. You have to have a good rotation and at least two really quick guys.

Goobylal
08-28-2006, 10:29 PM
JD: Yep, Geisinger has eligibility and no one's seen enough of him to want to pick him up. Butler OTOH is a guy full of promise. Personally if given the choice, I'd keep Butler and let Geisinger walk. But I hope both stick.

HH: McCargo was a late-1st round pick. Better to work him in slowly than have to rely on him like the Ravens are doing with Ngata or the Eagles are doing with Bunckley, and not getting much in return.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-28-2006, 10:48 PM

They will not keep that many offensive linemen on the active roster this season. Jauron mentioned in one of his interviews this past week that the offensive linemen need to be versatile because they only have seven available on game day. I'm assuming that he means only 7 active offensive linemen, plus one or at most two inactives. That would mean a maximum of 8 or at most 9 offensive linemen on the roster, not counting the practice squad.

As I see it, with Jerman # 2 at both OT positions now and Preston able to back up at all of the interior positions, those two plus the five starters are the seven actives. If they keep just one additional lineman as an inactive roster player, Geissinger gives them the most flexibility and IMHO would be the most likely to be kept. If they keep two additional linemen, I think Butler has a shot to make the squad.

In my opinion, everyone else gets cut, but Pennington and perhaps Merz could be brought back on the practice squad. I would not be surprised if they look to pick up an offensive lineman off of waivers if one that they really like gets cut from another team.

I don't like Jerman, but, with Morgan having a serious injury and Pennington still being very raw and needing time to develop, he's the only backup tackle who can play on the left side of the line, so the Bills are almost forced to keep him by default. The Bills really need to have Pennington come on fast on the PS or pick up someone better than Jerman off of waivers if they want to go with only seven active offensive linemen and still have a competent backup for both of the OT positions.

John Doe
08-29-2006, 08:02 AM
If they keep just one additional lineman as an inactive roster player, Geissinger gives them the most flexibility and IMHO would be the most likely to be kept. If they keep two additional linemen, I think Butler has a shot to make the squad.

Another reason why Geisinger is an important backup is the fragility of Villarial. Preston may be called to replace him full time at any moment.

THATHURMANATOR
08-29-2006, 08:20 AM
In this Defense it is important to have 3 to 4 solid Dlineman rotating in and out. We have 3 and Anderson. I don't even think I have noticed Anderson play yet this preseason.

OpIv37
08-29-2006, 08:30 AM
In this Defense it is important to have 3 to 4 solid Dlineman rotating in and out. We have 3 and Anderson. I don't even think I have noticed Anderson play yet this preseason.

he's been on the field a lot with the starting D.

THATHURMANATOR
08-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Has he been terrible?

mysticsoto
08-29-2006, 08:34 AM

Anderson was credited with a sack last game in the 1st half (against starters).

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 08:44 AM
:rofl:

Goobylal
08-29-2006, 08:51 AM
They will not keep that many offensive linemen on the active roster this season. Jauron mentioned in one of his interviews this past week that the offensive linemen need to be versatile because they only have seven available on game day. I'm assuming that he means only 7 active offensive linemen, plus one or at most two inactives. That would mean a maximum of 8 or at most 9 offensive linemen on the roster, not counting the practice squad.
Yes only 7 will be activated on gameday, but teams usually carry 9 OL on the roster, with usually one of them being inactive and the other usually not playing.

As I see it, with Jerman # 2 at both OT positions now and Preston able to back up at all of the interior positions, those two plus the five starters are the seven actives. If they keep just one additional lineman as an inactive roster player, Geissinger gives them the most flexibility and IMHO would be the most likely to be kept. If they keep two additional linemen, I think Butler has a shot to make the squad.
You could very well be right. But I just find it strange that Thomas is the only backup listed at LG. I would say that Geisinger is a lock to be one of the other linemen kept IF he listed as the primary backup at LG, along with 3rd backup at OC and RG. Maybe the Bills plan on keeping the starters, Jerman, Preston, Geisinger, and Thomas, and PS'ing Pennington, Merz, and Butler (which IMHO would be a risky move)?

OpIv37
08-29-2006, 08:57 AM
Has he been terrible?

IMO he looked like Tim Anderson- pretty bad. Yeah, he got credit for a sack, but if I remember that play correctly, it was a clean up sack- someone else forced the QB to tuck the ball and run in Anderson's direction.

HHURRICANE
08-29-2006, 09:01 AM
HH: McCargo was a late-1st round pick. Better to work him in slowly than have to rely on him like the Ravens are doing with Ngata or the Eagles are doing with Bunckley, and not getting much in return.

We gave away a pick to get a projected 2nd rounder in the first round. I was hoping for a little more. Plus he hasn't impressed me so far.

mysticsoto
08-29-2006, 10:29 AM
IMO he looked like Tim Anderson- pretty bad. Yeah, he got credit for a sack, but if I remember that play correctly, it was a clean up sack- someone else forced the QB to tuck the ball and run in Anderson's direction.

It wasn't exactly a clean up sack, but someone else did contribute to it. I believe the call was initially a blitz either by a LB or a CB. Their RB came out and the blitzer broke off the blitz to cover the RB. Their QB was caught by surprise - thinking that he was going to have the RB open and hesitated. As a result, he had to change up and start looking across the field for open WRs. Anderson subsequently broke into the backfield and sacked him. So in a way, it was more of a coverage sack, but the blitzer should really get 1/2 credit for breaking off the blitz and covering the RB - something DiGiorgio didn't do toward the end of the game to prevent a long run from the backup RB!

I can look it up to see who broke off the blitz if you like...

OpIv37
08-29-2006, 10:51 AM
It wasn't exactly a clean up sack, but someone else did contribute to it. I believe the call was initially a blitz either by a LB or a CB. Their RB came out and the blitzer broke off the blitz to cover the RB. Their QB was caught by surprise - thinking that he was going to have the RB open and hesitated. As a result, he had to change up and start looking across the field for open WRs. Anderson subsequently broke into the backfield and sacked him. So in a way, it was more of a coverage sack, but the blitzer should really get 1/2 credit for breaking off the blitz and covering the RB - something DiGiorgio didn't do toward the end of the game to prevent a long run from the backup RB!

I can look it up to see who broke off the blitz if you like...

no need- thanks for the info.