PDA

View Full Version : JP the Starter

oldno711
08-29-2006, 12:23 PM
SWEET!!!! :rockout:

BB.com:

"Head Coach Dick Jauron has officially announced J.P. Losman as the team's starting quarterback. Buffalobills.com will have Jauron's comments and reaction from J.P. shortly."

:beers:

gil
08-29-2006, 12:34 PM
good for JP - he seems to have worked his butt off - nice to see it rewarded with a vote of confidence

dolphinssuck
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
glad to see JPs starting hopefully he will be there all season and mature into a good QB.

BillsNick
08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
:bf1:

HHURRICANE
08-29-2006, 12:50 PM
This is the right call. Need to end any specualtion. When mcGahee and Evans are coming out and saying "we have our starter" it's time for the coach to give his vote of confidence!!

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 12:52 PM
SWEET!!!! :rockout:

BB.com:

"Head Coach Dick Jauron has officially announced J.P. Losman as the team's starting quarterback. Buffalobills.com will have Jauron's comments and reaction from J.P. shortly."

:beers:

Bout time he got a pair

HHURRICANE
08-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Bout time he got a pair

I'm glad just so I don't have to read one more post from you and your reference to "Dick" and his lack of body parts!!:respect:

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 01:04 PM
JP still needs to play with a chip on his shoulder and not slack off.

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm glad just so I don't have to read one more post from you and your reference to "Dick" and his lack of body parts!!:respect:haha! or that the competition was NEVER fair. :coocoo:

bigbub2352
08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
JP if anything has worked his ass off and given the competition and the fact that he is learning a new offense, he committed himself not only to the team but also the community and is very approachable and loyal, he has never said anything negative about the team, being benched, or the offense, or bledsoe, or anybody, i give props to DJ as well as JP good job, and hope he blossoms into something special

L.A. Playa
08-29-2006, 01:06 PM
Bout time he got a pair

did you lend him your spare pair ??

Kerr
08-29-2006, 01:08 PM
and nall is pissed right now. :lolpoint:nall

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 01:14 PM
JP still needs to play with a chip on his shoulder and not slack off.

Justa, in all seriousness....is there anything to make you think he ever hasn't played that way? His whole problem last year was he needed to calm down. It wasn't an effort or attitude (from a work ethic or seriousness standpoint) problem.

He just needed some more time to mature, needed a MUCH better OC and needed to get a few self centered vets out of that locker room.

Now here is where DJ Shows he has it as a HC and is in control of his team. Good, bad, great, horrible....JP gets all 16 games PERIOD! No fear of being pulled, and 100% support from the staff. He does that, I think the QB position is no longer a question mark. I might be wrong, but at least this way we find out.

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 01:15 PM
did you lend him your spare pair ??

1/2 of 1 of mine is all he would need :D

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Justa, in all seriousness....is there anything to make you think he ever hasn't played that way? .when he was handed the job last year, he was walking around like he was better than Jim Kelly. Once he got benched, his attitude changed. He needs to stay that way .

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 01:19 PM
when he was handed the job last year, he was walking around like he was better than Jim Kelly. Once he got benched, his attitude changed. He needs to stay that way .

I don't buy that. He is a cocky kid, so was Kelly, marino, Elway etc. They ALL Grew up to become great QB's. It took time, not benching and not QB competitions.

dugger
08-29-2006, 01:22 PM
It's too bad malarky didn't play him more last year.I wouldn't of cared if they lost every game just to get him the experience for the future.What a difference jp looks from a year ago though.He just needs some more seasoning and he will be fine

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
I don't buy that. .I watched him all the time at camp. His "swagger" was different. Putting his hand around Wyche like they were buddies and laughing while KH and SHane MAthews were all business.Why do you think the vets didn't respect him? He wasn't as hard on himself when he made mistakes then compared to the way he was at camp this year. I guess it's a matter of opinion. "I'm so ready for the season to start" .No he wasn't.

Again, it's no fault of his back then. Now he's earned it the right way. He needs to know that although Jauron realizes he's inexperienced, it isn't gonna be an excuse or tolerated if he doesn't continue to get better.

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 01:35 PM
I watched him all the time at camp. His "swagger" was different. Putting his hand around Wyche like they were buddies and laughing while KH and SHane MAthews were all business.Why do you think the vets didn't respect him? He wasn't as hard on himself when he made mistakes then compared to the way he was at camp this year. I guess it's a matter of opinion. "I'm so ready for the season to start" .No he wasn't.

Again, it's no fault of his back then. Now he's earned it the right way. He needs to know that although Jauron realizes he's inexperienced, it isn't gonna be an excuse or tolerated if he doesn't continue to get better.

LMAO 'continue to get better' To what point. You guys make it sound like you want a guy that never has an incomplete pass, throws for 600 yards, 10 TD's per season and goes 19-0. It doesn't happen.

JP to get to where he is a Good to GREAT NFL QB needs to know he won't be pulled. Ask ANY Good to great QB and they will agree. If he has it lingering over him he might be pulled then he is fighting an additional battle no QB needs.

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 01:46 PM
LMAO 'continue to get better' To what point. You guys make it sound like you want a guy that never has an incomplete pass, throws for 600 yards, 10 TD's per season and goes 19-0. It doesn't happen.

JP to get to where he is a Good to GREAT NFL QB needs to know he won't be pulled. Ask ANY Good to great QB and they will agree. If he has it lingering over him he might be pulled then he is fighting an additional battle no QB needs.
UNtil he becomes a franchise qb or at least a better than average qb. Are you implying JP does not need improvement in some areas his game? Is he perfect? If JP keeps throwing those INT's , Jauron and Marv will find someone who won't . It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that.

"JP has a long ways to go" Dick. Do you disagree?

He beat out a career back up. That doesn't mean he's our future qb, yet.

John Doe
08-29-2006, 01:49 PM
He just needed some more time to mature, needed a MUCH better OC and needed to get a few self centered vets out of that locker room.

What he needed was a smart coach like Jauron.

patmoran2006
08-29-2006, 01:49 PM
First off..

Before anyone on this board goes throwing down any praise at Jauron for "doing the right thing".. let me remind you that the first half of camp, Holcomb was CLEARLY the starter. It was HOLCOMB who went into the Carolina game with the first unit, not Losman.. Holcomb SUCKED and things changed from there. What if Holcomb made a couple of great (or even lucky) throws that game.. He would STILL be starting. So anyone who says this was Jauron's plan all along is totally full of ****, delusional, or both. Holcomb LOST the job more than Losman won the job.

Having said that, Im very HAPPY that Losman was named the starter. This team MUST find out what this kid has, because until this franchise has a quarterback who can play CONSISTENTLY we're going to really struggle (and that's putting it mildly). We all know that JP has a lot of physical skills, love him or hate him, you cant take away from that. A couple of these beautiful long balls he's thrown this fall already and a few scrambles leave no doubt in my mind he has the ABILITY to play.

What I'm DYING to see, and what this team NEEDS to find out, is if he has the MENTAL capacity to be a good quarterback, which is something I GREATLY question and I look forward to seeing. I want to see how he handles things AFTER things go bad. Like it or not, odds are Buffalo is going into home opener week three with an 0-2 mark, and odds are we're going to take a couple of beatings at NE and Miami (and lets not get off subject here). I want to see how he bounces back.

This is the right move.. If it aint Losman this year its never going to be him.. I'd give him the first 8-10 games UNCONDITIONALLY to see what he's made of, and if he doesnt work out I start Nall the rest of the season.. The Bills NEED a consistent QB/Leader by 2007 if they want to seriously contend.
I refuse to give Jauron praise for this decision because he started Holcomb first.. ANd I'll go one further, there's gonna be A LOT less Jauron fans in here as the season goes on, because I can already tell he won't hesitate to switch it up at QB if Losman isnt looking good that day.. And I HATE THAT.

ublinkwescore
08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Justa, in all seriousness....is there anything to make you think he ever hasn't played that way? His whole problem last year was he needed to calm down. It wasn't an effort or attitude (from a work ethic or seriousness standpoint) problem.

Now here is where DJ Shows he has it as a HC and is in control of his team. Good, bad, great, horrible....JP gets all 16 games PERIOD! No fear of being pulled, and 100% support from the staff. He does that, I think the QB position is no longer a question mark. I might be wrong, but at least this way we find out.

Speaking of self-centered vets, I can't wait to see JP Losman give Lee Evans a better game statwise (as well as beat) Eric moulds and the Texans.

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Speaking of self-centered vets, I can't wait to see JP Losman give Lee Evans a better game statwise (as well as beat) Eric moulds and the Texans.
No Joke

During the Denver, Houston game the announcers said something to the effect of Moulds didn't want to be backup to Evans. Before I could say a word my son says 'Yeah thats bright! So leave to go to a crapier team and be a backup anyway'.

Good son....good son...:bandwagon

ublinkwescore
08-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Here's a not-so-bold prediction - I say JP has back to back 300+ yard passing games this season!

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
No Joke

During the Denver, Houston game the announcers said something to the effect of Moulds didn't want to be backup to Evans. Before I could say a word my son says 'Yeah thats bright! So leave to go to a crapier team and be a backup anyway'.

Good son....good son...:bandwagon
Aren't we playing the texans? I would love for Whitner to lay one really good hit on Moulds ........ then run before he spits on Whitner.

John Doe
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
First off..

Before anyone on this board goes throwing down any praise at Jauron for "doing the right thing".. let me remind you that the first half of camp, Holcomb was CLEARLY the starter. It was HOLCOMB who went into the Carolina game with the first unit, not Losman.. Holcomb SUCKED and things changed from there. What if Holcomb made a couple of great (or even lucky) throws that game.. He would STILL be starting. So anyone who says this was Jauron's plan all along is totally full of ****, delusional, or both. Holcomb LOST the job more than Losman won the job.

Holcomb was not "clearly the starter" before the Carolina game - Losman was.

Jauron set Losman up to succeed the whole preseason and it worked like a charm.

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
What he needed was a smart coach like Jauron.

Well Dick is "book smart", I'll give him that. As for "coach smart", however, I don't see it. Nothing in his past (or present) supports that assertion yet IMO.

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
Aren't we playing the texans? I would love for Whitner to lay one really good hit on Moulds ........ then run before he spits on Whitner.

LMAO no joke. All the while JP goes off for 300 and Evans has 160 of it for 2 TD's

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 02:08 PM

Anyone who's been to camp could clearly see that JP was better.
He went by seniority. Best way to put it so that media couldn't read into it.

justasportsfan
08-29-2006, 02:10 PM
LMAO no joke. All the while JP goes off for 300 and Evans has 160 of it for 2 TD's
and then toss moulds a "sundowner" t-shirt to add insult to injury.

Saratoga Slim
08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
First off..

Having said that, Im very HAPPY that Losman was named the starter. This team MUST find out what this kid has, because until this franchise has a quarterback who can play CONSISTENTLY we're going to really struggle (and that's putting it mildly). We all know that JP has a lot of physical skills, love him or hate him, you cant take away from that. A couple of these beautiful long balls he's thrown this fall already and a few scrambles leave no doubt in my mind he has the ABILITY to play.

What I'm DYING to see, and what this team NEEDS to find out, is if he has the MENTAL capacity to be a good quarterback, which is something I GREATLY question and I look forward to seeing. I want to see how he handles things AFTER things go bad. Like it or not, odds are Buffalo is going into home opener week three with an 0-2 mark, and odds are we're going to take a couple of beatings at NE and Miami (and lets not get off subject here). I want to see how he bounces back.

This is the right move.. If it aint Losman this year its never going to be him.. I'd give him the first 8-10 games UNCONDITIONALLY to see what he's made of, and if he doesnt work out I start Nall the rest of the season.. The Bills NEED a consistent QB/Leader by 2007 if they want to seriously contend.
I refuse to give Jauron praise for this decision because he started Holcomb first.. ANd I'll go one further, there's gonna be A LOT less Jauron fans in here as the season goes on, because I can already tell he won't hesitate to switch it up at QB if Losman isnt looking good that day.. And I HATE THAT.

Agree on some of the above, but I don't think it's fair to say that Holcomb was "CLEARLY" the starter going in to the first preseason game. A) JP and KH evenly split reps in practice at that point, B) Whether truthful or not, Jauron said the decision to start Holcomb the first game was based on seniority, not a determination of who had the job, C) Holcomb didn't stay in there very long, he got yanked fairly quickly in favor of JP, who played better than KH, but not exceptionally better.

If you want to read between the lines, it may be fair to say that Holcomb was a half-step ahead of Losman going into the first preseason game, but I haven't seen any evidence to support the statement that Holcomb was "CLEARLY" the starter at that point. I mean, if Holcomb was "CLEARLY" the starter going in to Carolina, I don't think the tide would have turned as quickly as it did in JP's favor based on Holcomb's 3-4 bad drives in that single game against Carolina's first team defense. If anything, I thought that the fact that JP came out of that game as the frontrunner after playing pretty well against Carolina's scrubs showed that the coaches were leaning in JP's direction from the outset.

Thus I don't agree that Holcomb "Lost" a job that he had secured, so much as his bad play compared to JP's somewhat better (if not worldbeating) play resulted in JP being named the starter. It was either a fair competition that JP won, or JP had the edge from the start of the preseason games and held on to it when KH faltered.

Hence I do think its fair to give Jauron some credit for making a good decision at this stage. The fact that he started Holcomb first is either unimportant in light of the eventual decision to start losman based on game performance, or is a point in his favor, as it made JP's eventual success more credible. Whether Jauron will do the right things in the near future obviously remains to be seen, but for now let's give credit where credit is due.

ublinkwescore
08-29-2006, 02:17 PM

I'd like to see Whitner pick off the one pass that Moulds appeared open enough to get the ball thrown to him.

patmoran2006
08-29-2006, 02:45 PM

Set up Losman to suceed??

So your telling me that Holcomb starts the Carolina game, and lets say he goes 8-11 for 134 yards and a pair of TD's.. Thats setting up losman to suceed. No offense, but some of you guys will try to twist ANYTHING. By the end of this thread you guys will be saying Jauron told his OL not to block anyone and or the WR's to make sure they dont catch the ball if Holcomb throws it, cause losman was "set up to suceed"

EVERY practice and I do mean EVERY practice leading up to this game, even if they split reps, WHO ALWAYS took the first set of snaps with the first team?

Holcomb WAS the starter as of the Carolina game, and he blew it by doing what he's great at.. sucking.

Mitchy moo
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM

So your telling me that Holcomb starts the Carolina game, and lets say he goes 8-11 for 134 yards and a pair of TD's.. Thats setting up losman to suceed. No offense, but some of you guys will try to twist ANYTHING. By the end of this thread you guys will be saying Jauron told his OL not to block anyone and or the WR's to make sure they dont catch the ball if Holcomb throws it, cause losman was "set up to suceed"

EVERY practice and I do mean EVERY practice leading up to this game, even if they split reps, WHO ALWAYS took the first set of snaps with the first team?

Holcomb WAS the starter as of the Carolina game, and he blew it by doing what he's great at.. sucking.

Let's say JP then went 14-14, what's your point? It didn't happen and by saying what could of happened makes you look confused. If my grandma had a D, she'd be....................

John Doe
08-29-2006, 02:54 PM

Read JSF post above. JP was clearly the best QB for the majority of the camp, regardless of who took the first set of snaps in practice and who started the first preseason game.

Jauron put Holcomb in an untenable situation in the Carolina game. The first game for the o-line on the road against a tough defense. Then he pulls him before he can get his feet wet and puts in JP for most of the remainder against the second team.

He gave JP every chance under ideal conditions and did not give Holcomb a real chance to do anything significant.

It was shrewd planning from Jauron, and it worked perfectly.

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 02:56 PM
and then toss moulds a "sundowner" t-shirt to add insult to injury. And follows up with the word 'OWNED' :bandwagon

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Just looking at the quoted responses makes me thankful I can't see pat's stupid crap any longer.

Dr. Lecter
08-29-2006, 03:03 PM

The fact they split was the key, not who went first. Going first does not mean crap.

Philagape
08-29-2006, 03:09 PM

Dick doesn't have the creativity to dream up such a scheme. Here's a radical thought ... maybe they did exactly as they said. Open comp, JP won.

patmoran2006
08-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Dick doesn't have the creativity to dream up such a scheme. Here's a radical thought ... maybe they did exactly as they said. Open comp, JP won.
I buy that a hell of a lot more than the ridiculous notion Jauron set up Losman to win by making Holcomb start against Carolina because he knew that Holcomb would suck.. If THAT was the case Holcomb should have never played a down in the preseason and grabbed a clip board.

John Doe
08-29-2006, 03:16 PM

The open competition in camp set JP up to succeed.

I think that Jauron was convinced by what he saw that JP was his guy. I believe that Jauron wanted no doubts in anyone else's mind so he set JP up to succeed in preseason. If JP did not come through under the circumstances that Jauron set up, then he really would be a bust.

Philagape
08-29-2006, 03:19 PM
For that scheme to have worked, Dick would have needed to arrange the sked so we'd play a tough defense first. If it had been an easy opponent at home, he would have had to start JP first, and that would have blown his cover. :yikes:

Philagape
08-29-2006, 03:20 PM
The open competition in camp set JP up to succeed.

An open comp sets up the best QB to succeed.

In that sense, it worked.

John Doe
08-29-2006, 03:21 PM
An open comp sets up the best QB to succeed.

In that sense, it worked.

That is what I am saying.

Historian
08-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Well...now I can exhale.

John Doe
08-29-2006, 03:25 PM
For that scheme to have worked, Dick would have needed to arrange the sked so we'd play a tough defense first. If it had been an easy opponent at home, he would have had to start JP first, and that would have blown his cover.

I think that the consideration that Losman was the frontrunner before the preseaon games started had a lot to do with how things played out. I don't think this was a long range scheme that was hatched before the season.

The fact is that Holcomb really did not get much of a second chance after throwing only a handfull of passes the first game.

ICE74129
08-29-2006, 03:34 PM
I think that the consideration that Losman was the frontrunner before the preseaon games started had a lot to do with how things played out. I don't think this was a long range scheme that was hatched before the season.

The fact is that Holcomb really did not get much of a second chance after throwing only a handfull of passes the first game.

Because he sucks

John Doe
08-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Because he sucks

Because JP is a lot better.

bledslow
08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
This is FANTASTIC news--It's starting to trickle out to the pats boards on the jets/bills qb starters.

Here's some good news....(Losman & Pennington named starters) (merged) - New England Patriots Fans - PatsFans.com Messageboard
Address:http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=40072

ublinkwescore
08-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks for reminding us how gay pats fans are...

that site almost made me sick.

oldno711
08-30-2006, 08:09 AM
my two cents...

I do not care how or why JP became the starter. If Jauron set Losman up to succeed, then hats off to him...it was brilliant. If Losman won a fair QB competition by beating out noodle arm Holcomb and Craig Nall, great. Fact is, he is the better QB with the most upside and he is now the starting QB of the Buffalo Bills. We need to build this team around him and see what happens. I like what I see from JP and I think he's going to surprise a lot of doubters this year (especially the media who never have one good thing to say about the kid).

:monkeyp:JP Haters

Losman to Evans!!!
:gobills: