PDA

View Full Version : SI Bills Analysis

Gunzlingr
08-29-2006, 04:07 PM
While quarterbacking remains the talk of the town, it's the high-impact special teams that could spark a resurgence
THE BELIEF If the Bills can get third-year quarterback J.P. Losman playing like an All-Pro, many of their problems will be solved. No one was handing him the job, mind you -- there'd be actual competition for the position.
THE REALITY The competition was supposed to come from veteran Kelly Holcomb, who stepped in after Losman faltered early last season. Holcomb averaged 9.7 yards per completion, a dink-dunk number, and who can forget the hitch he completed to Eric Moulds for zero yards on fourth-and-eight when Buffalo had a chance to upset New England? It's not the kind of passing offense you want when you've got downfield threats such as Lee Evans and Peerless Price, the latter back with the club for a second tour.
That's why everyone's happy that Losman, who averaged 11.9 yards per completion, won the job. "Did I lose faith last year?" says Losman, who got a few more starts midway through the season. "I'd get in bad situations and not know how to get out of them. Now I think I know."
A deep passing game would be a nice grace note in the Bills' operation but not its defining element. Ever since they stopped running the K-Gun with Jim Kelly, they've been a blue-collar team -- not much pizzazz but lots of tough running and defense. New coach Dick Jauron is a defense guy who believes in a trimmer playbook and a lot of effort.
Buffalo was at its best last year when it was controlling the ball with tireless running back Willis McGahee and letting the superior defense supply the finishing touches. And there are some fine athletes on that unit: Nate Clements and Terrence McGee, as good a pair of cover corners as there is in the league; free safety Troy Vincent; Aaron Schobel, a high-energy pass rusher; an excellent and swift linebacking corps. "Our basic defense will be the Tampa 2," Vincent says. "A Cover 2 zone, but the twist is the linebackers will be given freedom to get downfield."
But it's the special teams outfit that sets the tone and makes the Bills unique. McGee led the NFL in kickoff-return average (30.2), and little Roscoe Parrish had the highest punt-return average (13.3 yards, though too few to qualify). Punter Brian Moorman was tied for No. 1 in gross average and second in net -- in one of the league's worst wind tunnels. Kicker Rian Lindell was 3 for 3 from 50 and beyond.

More (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/scout.report/bills.html)

shelby
08-29-2006, 05:24 PM
:up: Nice to see other facets of the team getting recognition.
i hope Nate steps it up for us this year.

Mitchy moo
08-29-2006, 05:28 PM
The press is starting to come along.

Mr. Cynical
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
I prefer grape Kool Aid over cherry myself.

!Papacrunk!
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
The press is starting to come along.

I thought the press/media was wrong, and was constituted of idiots that shouldn't be writing anything--not your words, just the general feeling I've gotten from others in the past. So does it depend on the ratio of positive to negative press that results in their (the media's) aptitude?

ParanoidAndroid
08-29-2006, 06:43 PM
I thought the press/media was wrong, and was constituted of idiots that shouldn't be writing anything--not your words, just the general feeling I've gotten from others in the past. So does it depend on the ratio of positive to negative press that results in their (the media's) aptitude?

When you're a fan? Yes. Fans don't want to hear anyone running their team down no matter how true it is.

!Papacrunk!
08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
When you're a fan? Yes. Fans don't want to hear anyone running their team down no matter how true it is.
Great, honest anwser, I agree completely.

Mitchy moo
08-29-2006, 08:58 PM

I can name a few "fans" here that are more than suspect. Preach to the choir, not the band.

HHURRICANE
08-29-2006, 09:15 PM

Dude, it's football not philosophy at Princeton. We'll take good press especially when everyone looked at our record and didn't watch the games.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-30-2006, 03:52 AM
What's interesting is that Zimmerman has not been very kind to the Bills in recent years and, unlike many of his colleagues in the media, it appears that he has actually been paying some attention to what the Bills have been doing in the preseason. We're still seeing more than a few assessments of the Bills that are based on how Losman played last season and the fact that the Bills no longer have some of the big-name players that they have had in the past, like S.Adams, L.Milloy, E.Moulds, etc. This article at least features the fact that A.Crowell is going to be a starting LB after having a good season last year, etc. He still has the Bills finishing 3rd in the AFCE, but points out some of the team's positives that others in the media are still ignoring.

ICE74129
08-30-2006, 06:39 AM
Uh....I'm sorry. Was that a (GASP) Positive review of this team?