PDA

View Full Version : I still can't believe Martin Nance got cut

Mr. Miyagi
08-29-2006, 10:13 PM
I thought he was doing some good things in camp, and that he's the steal of the undrafted pool, etc. What the heck happened? Does he have a hidden issue that we don't know of?

THATHURMANATOR
08-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Did he even have any catches in the preseason?

Mr. Miyagi
08-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Doesn't look like it. But I was eating up all the hype on this board!

Devin
08-29-2006, 10:49 PM
I am not surprised but I am a little dissapointed thought he had some pretty solid talent given our dismal WR's.

G. Host
08-29-2006, 11:12 PM
When they are trying to slip a player past waivers onto PS they often release him after 3rd game. He may be back.

ublinkwescore
08-30-2006, 01:00 AM
I hope so.

ddaryl
08-30-2006, 01:06 AM
practice squad if he doesn't get picked up.

Mr. Miyagi
08-30-2006, 02:34 AM
If I were Pittsburgh I'd jump all over this guy. He and Big Ben have chemistry together!

Ebenezer
08-30-2006, 02:40 AM
I still can't believe Martin Nance got cut

you might be the only one.

Mr. Miyagi
08-30-2006, 02:42 AM
you might be the only one.
No way. I bet Martin Nance can't believe it either.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-30-2006, 04:42 AM
I also think that he is a candidate for the PS, if someone else doesn't pick him up first.

With all of the WRs from the middle to the bottom of the depth chart performing about the same, I think that special teams play has become a big factor in the coaches' thinking about who to keep on the roster and who to cut. In Nance's case, he didn't seem to be much of a factor on special teams--certainly not as much as Davis, Aiken or Smith. As well as Nance performed in OTAs and training camp, he still had a number of things to learn and, since he wasn't going to offer as much as some of the other WRs on special teams, he was a much better candidate for the practice squad, where he could continue to work on those things he needs to improve on, than for a roster spot.

Many of us who thought that he was a great addition to the team as a UDFA nevertheless felt that he needed time to develop and might be a candidate for the PS--I know I did (although there were some who felt that if put on the PS, he would be stolen by some other team)--if he did not make the roster this season. Nance still has the potential to be a pretty good WR in the NFL, but he's going to need time to develop and was never going to be a candidate to step in as a starter or even a # 3 WR this season (there were at best only 3-4 WRs in this whole draft with the potential to do that and I don't know of anyone who said that Nance was in that category). Hopefully, the Bills will be able to sign him to their PS and he will continue to develop there and, if he does, the Bills will be able to keep him as they have been able to keep Wilson.

Jan Reimers
08-30-2006, 05:00 AM
I think they measure his 40 time with a sun dial.

YardRat
08-30-2006, 06:19 AM
There must be something undesirable about the guy...Why didn't Pitts pick him up after the draft?

ghz in pittsburgh
08-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Dick Jauron said it - "unless you are head and shoulder above everyone else, you'd better be able to do other things well" in order to be considered for a spot. Belichick said similar things, as is Cowher. Is Nance that good a receiver who's better than most of Bills receivers? Heck the guy won't get off the line fighting off NFL caliber CBs. At this point, Nance is a project, destined for PS for ANYONE in NFL, much like Peters was in his first year. Peters pan out for the Bills. I bet you 90% of the PS guys don't mount to a thing in NFL.

Remember Peters was able to play ST and was good at it. Nance could not do anything in ST.

theBlackBear
08-30-2006, 08:59 AM
When they are trying to slip a player past waivers onto PS they often release him after 3rd game. He may be back.

I think that is how they did it with Jason Peters.

Bert102176
08-30-2006, 10:06 AM
the Steelers grabbed him so no way does he come back now, but I liked him and thought he would be really good now watch him come out and kick butt with big ben

ghz in pittsburgh
08-30-2006, 10:13 AM
Where did you get the information on Martin signed with the Steelers?

bigbub2352
08-30-2006, 10:35 AM
hopefully we got a nother jason peters situation going on

Saratoga Slim
08-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Where did you get the information on Martin signed with the Steelers?

yeah, news to me. Is that true? Link?

Devin
08-30-2006, 01:59 PM
I saw it on another forum as well, Steelers signed him.

WOuldnt shock me at all if he ended up a solid WR there.

ParanoidAndroid
08-30-2006, 02:37 PM
I think they measure his 40 time with a sun dial.

:rofl:

Jan Reimers
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
I had a feeling he would catch on somewhere. I think that he's a really good posession/red zone receiving prospect, even though he is somewhat slow.