X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

JP Losman - Star or Bust

That's just my gut feeling about this guy.

He has the personality of of those cocky stars like Kelly and utter busts like Leaf. He'll get better at how to deal with others as he gets older, like he's shown so far this year. But he does go about in his own beat - like his college coached said of him, and he followed that up in actions like choosing to live in downtown Buffalo.

As a football player, he can rival physically with just about any QB in terms of arm strength, agility, speed, and a sense of pressure. And he has a penchant for big plays, unbelievably plays that make every NFL coach drools.

The problem, as I see it, is about his head, football head. If he had Brady's head whom I consider the best in NFL dialing into what the defense is doing quickly, JP would probably be the best QB in NFL history. I attribute his inconsistency to his reading of the game. When he gets it, he makes plays, unbelievable plays when the opportunity presents. When he does not get it, he looks dumb, lost, whatever you want to call. That's why everyone calls him a project and some great offensive coaches would like to get hands on him to turn this fine raw material into the next big star in NFL.

JP does not need Brady's brain to be a star because of his other abilities. With his personality, if he does not develop a competent NFL QB brain, he won't make it in NFL at all; but if he does, he'll not be just a capable one - he'll be a star that every defensive coordinator fears because every time he drops back, no matter which part of the field, no matter what kind of rush they call, there is a good possibility of a big scoring play.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: JP Losman - Star or Bust

Star.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

It depends, what type of team are they going to put around him?

Comment

• Philagape
        WIN NOW
        • Jul 2002

That's a dead-on analysis; if his head catches up to his body, he'll be a star.

The trend so far is improvement. We already know he's a playmaker who can ignite a TD at anytime. He just needs to cut down on the mistakes. He's shown tireless dedication to learn, and that plus experience should reduce his gaffes.
        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ublinkwescore
          Sab and TD are insignificant
          • Sep 2002

I'm gonna go with Star - and it will be this season.

but he's gonna need that help from McGahee and the O line - it looks like he might just get it this year too.
          www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
            That's a dead-on analysis; if his head catches up to his body, he'll be a star.

The trend so far is improvement. We already know he's a playmaker who can ignite a TD at anytime. He just needs to cut down on the mistakes. He's shown tireless dedication to learn, and that plus experience should reduce his gaffes.
            He is heading the right way!

Comment

• Inetpub
              i'm a tool
              • Aug 2006

Im leaning towards a Rob Johnson clone. RJ had all those physical attributes also. I know Im going to get booed for that but me typing this is already going to get booed anyways. I love the Bills no matter whos at QB. Personally I'd like a QB that can think on his feet and win games by time management and knowing what the right throws are and what to do at certain times in the game.

Although I really think JP has the physical attributes, I get the feeling his heads been played with too much already. I would like to see him succeed but it wouldnt be a surprise if he pulls an RJ in 2 years time. Dont take this as a final word though as the question was asked if he is going to be a star or bust. I might be playing devils advocate but someone has too.

Verdict: Bust
              That proves NOTHING about Losman

Comment

• BillsNick
                • Jul 2003

There are some things that I cannot ignore when it comes to JP. There have been flashes of brilliance that I've seen every so often. I mean utter heroic brilliance. I never got that with RJ. I'm talking Flutie type stuff (dodging a sure sack and throwing of his back foot for a first down, or a last second scramble that saves the drive). I see something special coming together in him, and I don't know if it's just the homer in me, or reality. I hesitate in saying he is a star, because we simply don't know, but I will not call him a bust until he acts like one. Let's watch the kid play for while and then decide.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

RJ is a nerd in terms of a football player. JP is a street smart player.

For example, when RJ drops back, you count 2001, 2002, 2003, ... as he goes through his reads 1,2,3 ... and Wham he gets sacked because he has no sense of pressure.

When JP drops back, you count 2001, 2002, 2003, ... as he goes through his reads 1,2,3 and off he goes to dodge the first guy who'd sacked him. In his college days and last year, he'd go wildly and totally on his own after that. This preseason, he seemed to just step up/side a bit and continued his progression of reads.

When Brady drops back, you count 1,2,3 (not the 2001, 2002, 2003 pace) ... as he goes through his reads 1, 2, 3 and boom the ball is out his hand, oftenly he throws the ball to a place where he anticipate his receivers to be.

Losman at this point, does not do the anticipation very well, particularly in those short/middle routes that are Brady's picnic area.

When Favre (in his prime) drops back, you count 2001, 2002, 2003, ... as he goes through his reads 1,2,3, he could let go of the ball as he feels the pressure and has a place to go with the ball, but he dodges the pass rusher because he sees something developing further down the field and then launches a laser for that play.

There is a reason people compare JP to Favre because JP has exactly the same mentality as Favre in terms of penchant for big plays.

Comment

• Inetpub
                    i'm a tool
                    • Aug 2006

Inetpub

Im leaning towards a Rob Johnson clone. RJ had all those physical attributes also. I know Im going to get booed for that but me typing this is already going to get booed anyways. I love the Bills no matter whos at QB. Personally I'd like a QB that can think on his feet and win games by time management and knowing what the right throws are and what to do at certain times in the game.

Although I really think JP has the physical attributes, I get the feeling his heads been played with too much already. I would like to see him succeed but it wouldnt be a surprise if he pulls an RJ in 2 years time. Dont take this as a final word though as the question was asked if he is going to be a star or bust. I might be playing devils advocate but someone has too.

Verdict: Bust

ZoneBux: 161.27
                    ZoneBux Details
                    Available: 161.27
                    Banked: 0.00
                    Donate ZoneBux
                    Spend ZoneBux

Warn: (0%)

Power to Give Rep: 0

Groans: 3 ; Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts

Inetpub
                    View Public Profile
                    Send a private message to Inetpub
                    Find More Posts by Inetpub
                    Add Inetpub to Your Buddy List

Post groaned at by: baalworship (Today), Mikey82 (Today)
                    I dont understand how I can get 2 groans from people when the question asks if JP will be a Star or Bust? Do people expect me to come in here and say hes the second coming of Jesus or Kelly? JP is still young in the league and I hope his star does rise!

But there are some GLARING facts about him that can sway you either way. My knock on him is his learning curve is bigger than a highway turn. Although I am the first to admit he played well and is learning from the preseason games and the competition. If you dont like what I said, post why you think he'll be a star. Dont groan me because Im playing devils advocate and not being JP nuthugger! Bandwagons arent fun things to jump on!

Comment

• jmb1099
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Inetpub
                      I dont understand how I can get 2 groans from people when the question asks if JP will be a Star or Bust? Do people expect me to come in here and say hes the second coming of Jesus or Kelly? JP is still young in the league and I hope his star does rise!

But there are some GLARING facts about him that can sway you either way. My knock on him is his learning curve is bigger than a highway turn. Although I am the first to admit he played well and is learning from the preseason games and the competition. If you dont like what I said, post why you think he'll be a star. Dont groan me because Im playing devils advocate and not being JP nuthugger! Bandwagons arent fun things to jump on!
                      Don't you dare equate Jesus with Kelly...everyone knows that's a comparison reserved only for Ted Bruschi

Comment

• Inetpub
                        i'm a tool
                        • Aug 2006

Sorry. I meant Jim Kelly. Not the Holcrumb.

LOL.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

I think JP has every chance to be a star. From all indications, his maturity level and grasp of the pro game are catching up with his physical talent, which ought to be a helluva combination.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Inetpub

Actually three.
                            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• jmb1099
                              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                              I think JP has every chance to be a star. From all indications, his maturity level and grasp of the pro game are catching up with his physical talent, which ought to be a helluva combination.
                              If his mind and body fully connect he is going to be a star. All indications right now show he is starting to figure it out

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍