If you could change one thing about professional football...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

If you could change one thing about professional football...

..what would that be.

I have 2 things, actually.

1) I would have "drops" by receivers added to stat sheets and those types of incompletions would not count against a QBs rating.

2) All incoming rookies (drafted or undrafted) must go through a 3 year contract trial period . During that time, all contracts are performance based. The more productive you are throughout the season the more money you make. Contracts can be renegotiatied before the end of 3 year trial period only if the player has reached specific team milestones.

I don't have this laid out perfectly, but incentives are different per position.
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: If you could change one thing about professional football...

Originally posted by RedEyE
    ..what would that be.

1) I would have "drops" by receivers added to stat sheets and those types of incompletions would not count against a QBs rating.

2) All incoming rookies (drafted or undrafted) most go through a 3 year contract trial period . During that time, all contracts are performance based. The more productive you are throughout the season the more money you make. Contracts can be renegotiatied before the end of 3 year trial period only if the player has reached specific team milestones.

I don't have this laid out perfectly, but incentives are different per position.
    This is hows it's done in Baseball with errors instead of hits and fielder's choices / walks. Also baseball players normally make little or nothing the first 3-4 years and then get their money. So I am down with what you are saying.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

I would make incomplete passes and "down by contact" into challengable plays. They're some of the most controversial plays but there is no way for the refs to correct them.

Also, I would knock two games off the pre-season and add them to the regular season so the games could start on either Labor Day or the week before. That will never happen because of Gene Upshaw and Troy Vincent, though.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jimbuktu
        • Oct 2004

make sure teams stick with their classic uniforms instead of constantly changing to dog **** outfits

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
          ..what would that be.

2) All incoming rookies (drafted or undrafted) must go through a 3 year contract trial period . During that time, all contracts are performance based. The more productive you are throughout the season the more money you make. Contracts can be renegotiatied before the end of 3 year trial period only if the player has reached specific team milestones.

both excellent ideas. I'm sick of these rookies getting huge contracts before even playing a down in the NFL.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jimbuktu
            make sure teams stick with their classic uniforms instead of constantly changing to dog **** outfits
            good thought, but there is too much money to be made by changing uniforms.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              I would make incomplete passes and "down by contact" into challengable plays. They're some of the most controversial plays but there is no way for the refs to correct them.

Also, I would knock two games off the pre-season and add them to the regular season so the games could start on either Labor Day or the week before. That will never happen because of Gene Upshaw and Troy Vincent, though.
              I have to think about the first idea, but I'm all over the 2nd.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

both excellent ideas. I'm sick of these rookies getting huge contracts before even playing a down in the NFL.
                Read this Op:

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

I couldn't have put it better myself - there have been so many instances where the guy wasn't down yet, and the ball came loose and the other team recovered it, but it doesn't stand because of that one stupid rule.
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                    Sab and TD are insignificant
                    • Sep 2002

They should also put a panel of (3) refs in the review booth that have the power to call the game and relay that call down to the ref on the field - 2 votes for a certain call makes that the right call.
                    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

After further review....Now that I think about it, I'm all over Op's idea about reviewing those plays. My hesitations at first were about prolonging the game. But as long as the rules that are currently in effect for review stay in place, then there should be no problem adding incompletions and down by contact to the review list. It's at the coaches discretion.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                        • Jul 2002

I would simplify the rules. No more of this football motion, tuck rule, and the ton of other bs rules put in place the last few years.

Comment

• RedEyE
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
                          I would simplify the rules. No more of this football motion, tuck rule, and the ton of other bs rules put in place the last few years.
                          The tuck rule is A1 ******ed. It's either a fumble or it's not. No in between.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                            • Jul 2002

College football is so much better.

Comment

• RedEyE
                              • Jul 2002

I like the atmoshpere of college ball, but I like the higher level of talent in pro ball. And I am not at all crazy about the way college ball deterines their championship.

Comment

Working...
                              X