PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one thing about professional football...

RedEyE
08-31-2006, 11:51 AM
..what would that be.

I have 2 things, actually.

1) I would have "drops" by receivers added to stat sheets and those types of incompletions would not count against a QBs rating.

2) All incoming rookies (drafted or undrafted) must go through a 3 year contract trial period . During that time, all contracts are performance based. The more productive you are throughout the season the more money you make. Contracts can be renegotiatied before the end of 3 year trial period only if the player has reached specific team milestones.

I don't have this laid out perfectly, but incentives are different per position.

Mitchy moo
08-31-2006, 11:56 AM
..what would that be.

1) I would have "drops" by receivers added to stat sheets and those types of incompletions would not count against a QBs rating.

2) All incoming rookies (drafted or undrafted) most go through a 3 year contract trial period . During that time, all contracts are performance based. The more productive you are throughout the season the more money you make. Contracts can be renegotiatied before the end of 3 year trial period only if the player has reached specific team milestones.

I don't have this laid out perfectly, but incentives are different per position.

This is hows it's done in Baseball with errors instead of hits and fielder's choices / walks. Also baseball players normally make little or nothing the first 3-4 years and then get their money. So I am down with what you are saying.

OpIv37
08-31-2006, 11:58 AM
I would make incomplete passes and "down by contact" into challengable plays. They're some of the most controversial plays but there is no way for the refs to correct them.

Also, I would knock two games off the pre-season and add them to the regular season so the games could start on either Labor Day or the week before. That will never happen because of Gene Upshaw and Troy Vincent, though.

Jimbuktu
08-31-2006, 12:02 PM
make sure teams stick with their classic uniforms instead of constantly changing to dog **** outfits

OpIv37
08-31-2006, 12:04 PM
..what would that be.

2) All incoming rookies (drafted or undrafted) must go through a 3 year contract trial period . During that time, all contracts are performance based. The more productive you are throughout the season the more money you make. Contracts can be renegotiatied before the end of 3 year trial period only if the player has reached specific team milestones.

both excellent ideas. I'm sick of these rookies getting huge contracts before even playing a down in the NFL.

OpIv37
08-31-2006, 12:04 PM
make sure teams stick with their classic uniforms instead of constantly changing to dog **** outfits

good thought, but there is too much money to be made by changing uniforms.

RedEyE
08-31-2006, 12:05 PM
I would make incomplete passes and "down by contact" into challengable plays. They're some of the most controversial plays but there is no way for the refs to correct them.

Also, I would knock two games off the pre-season and add them to the regular season so the games could start on either Labor Day or the week before. That will never happen because of Gene Upshaw and Troy Vincent, though.

I have to think about the first idea, but I'm all over the 2nd.

RedEyE
08-31-2006, 12:06 PM
both excellent ideas. I'm sick of these rookies getting huge contracts before even playing a down in the NFL.

Read this Op:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060831/1000443.asp

ublinkwescore
08-31-2006, 12:10 PM

I couldn't have put it better myself - there have been so many instances where the guy wasn't down yet, and the ball came loose and the other team recovered it, but it doesn't stand because of that one stupid rule.

ublinkwescore
08-31-2006, 12:12 PM
They should also put a panel of (3) refs in the review booth that have the power to call the game and relay that call down to the ref on the field - 2 votes for a certain call makes that the right call.

RedEyE
08-31-2006, 12:30 PM
After further review....Now that I think about it, I'm all over Op's idea about reviewing those plays. My hesitations at first were about prolonging the game. But as long as the rules that are currently in effect for review stay in place, then there should be no problem adding incompletions and down by contact to the review list. It's at the coaches discretion.

LtBillsFan66
08-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I would simplify the rules. No more of this football motion, tuck rule, and the ton of other bs rules put in place the last few years.

RedEyE
08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I would simplify the rules. No more of this football motion, tuck rule, and the ton of other bs rules put in place the last few years.

The tuck rule is A1 ******ed. It's either a fumble or it's not. No in between.

LtBillsFan66
08-31-2006, 12:35 PM
College football is so much better.

RedEyE
08-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I like the atmoshpere of college ball, but I like the higher level of talent in pro ball. And I am not at all crazy about the way college ball deterines their championship.

L.A. Playa
08-31-2006, 12:48 PM
nude cheerleaders

M
08-31-2006, 01:15 PM

AMEN!

And the whole free agency is getting out of control. Back in the day, you didn't see people jumping from team to team like you see today.

mysticsoto
08-31-2006, 01:42 PM
I like most of the ideas presented so far:

1. More plays reviewable
2. Less preseason games
3. Rookie limitations on their contracts

I'd add:

4. Superbowl to be played in any stadium - not just "warm" areas.

5. This is more media related, but the NFL ticket and NFL network should be available on any satellite or cable provider. Hell, even sell it through a streaming interface on a computer. Anybody who wants access should be able to get it!!! And maybe more exhibition games in other countries - show the world that football is an order of magnitude better and more exciting than a soccer game!

6. Shorten the distance of the blackout rule - for example, in our case, Syracuse should not be blacked out if a Billsgame doesn't sell out...

7. Better replays. I like the camera the floats on top of the players and moves around. I think you should have more. In fact, I told people last year that in the future, I could see cameras strategically placed all over the place (some with zoom lenses) that would allow you to do Matrix-like replays - this might also better help officials in making/reversing calls. Perhaps the refs should have cameras in their hats also so we can see what they were looking at (angle-wise, etc) when they make calls.

8. With the money we pay...stadiums, jumbotrons, etc should be updated. We pay alot and should get something in return. Even though I don't own one, I think it is so wrong that people are paying a high premium for those heated red seats in the stadium...and now they are being told that 40% of them don't work and that they can't fix them b'cse the company that did them no longer does and so there are no plans...but that they shouuld remain content that they have their own concession stand and bathrooms. If I owned one of those seats, I'd be pretty pissed!

9. Refs should have some accountability. I know most of the time, they are doing their best, but sometimes (like our last superbowl) the refs wearing yellow and black was an understatement. Perhaps there can be more refs in the booth that could override an on field ref, but maybe...the ref that gets the most calls wrong (since they do review them afterward) or over a certain threshold - should get fired the following year...or something like that.

T-Long
08-31-2006, 01:53 PM
I agree with a trial period for rookies. They make WAY too much money without ever stepping on an NFL field. I doubt it will ever happen though. Players association will never go with it.

Captain gameboy
08-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Get realistic about pass interference.
It is now a common strategy to try to get a call instead of play the game-the intentionally underthrown ball comes to mind.
Give the DB's more leeway.

Second, speed the game up by not making the referee do everything on a challenge.
First he goes over and acknowleges the challenge...Tick...Tick... Tick
Next he runs to the middle of the field to announce the challenge...Tick....Tick....Tick....
Next he runs to the camera and gets his headphones on Tick....Tick....Tick.
Then he reviews the play. Tick...Tick...Tick...
Then he runs to the middle of the field to announce the decision.

Can anybody else possibly do some of this stuff? Like announce the challenge and announce the decision. Wire 'one guy up for Chrissakes.
Its absolutely stupid.

Earthquake Enyart
08-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Go to the college football overtime rules.

Les Nessman
08-31-2006, 02:43 PM

Boy can I relate to that.

Historian
08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
I would eliminate the antiquated blackout rule.

The reason I follow the Yankees...is because they're on TV.

Historian
08-31-2006, 02:51 PM

Remember the Clean Hands rule?

Even Marv didn't know wtf that was.

What about the Pats game a few years ago, where our guy recovered the fumble, but part of his foot was out of bounds, so they give the ball back to New England?

I swear they make this crap up for when the Bills play.

CuseJetsFan83
08-31-2006, 02:51 PM

i agree fully, which is why im glad the mets have their own channel (sportsnet nY)
which they share wtih the jets

you would think the bills could start something somewhat similar, or would you still count msg-buffalo as that to a certain extent?

as much as i hate the yankees, its not a hard reason to see how they can get revenue......... besides the fact that mr. moneybags himself pours alot into it, good ole steinbrenner, people at games, people watching it on tv..... people watching the games at the opponents stadiums, etc.

i think each team should have their own cable network, especially since the NFLN is too biased towards teams that are hot at that point.... and if its not their own cable network, maybe even like a cable home that already exists.... like an MSG, or a foxsports maybe getting added to buffalo, or hell maybe a canadian station that buffalonians get?......... kinda like how you have the bills radio network.... and you have affiliates in syracuse, etc.

Historian
08-31-2006, 04:49 PM

Put the wide receivers back down in a three point stance.

LtBillsFan66
08-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Get realistic about pass interference.
It is now a common strategy to try to get a call instead of play the game-the intentionally underthrown ball comes to mind.

Second, speed the game up by not making the referee do everything on a challenge.
First he goes over and acknowleges the challenge...Tick...Tick... Tick
Next he runs to the middle of the field to announce the challenge...Tick....Tick....Tick....
Next he runs to the camera and gets his headphones on Tick....Tick....Tick.
Then he reviews the play. Tick...Tick...Tick...
Then he runs to the middle of the field to announce the decision.

Can anybody else possibly do some of this stuff? Like announce the challenge and announce the decision. Wire 'one guy up for Chrissakes.
Its absolutely stupid.
Nothing angers me more than the underthrown ball pass interference call.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
08-31-2006, 05:03 PM
The one thing that I would change and I think you guys will agree with me here THE COMMERCIAL BREAKS! they seem to be getting longer and longer evey dang year and I'm getting sick of it. I was at the BILLS VS. Browns game I counted 7 commercials 7! No other professional sports runs longer commercials than the NFL does. They gotta speed up the game!

MTBillsFan
08-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Ticket Prices!
Rookie salary cap
kick some annoucers out of the booth

Al13
08-31-2006, 05:49 PM
let them celebrate a TD how they want, players risk their health every sunday, they have to deal with torn ligaments, broken bones, concussions etc. but they can not celebrate a TD that suckz

RedEyE
09-01-2006, 09:49 AM
The one thing that I would change and I think you guys will agree with me here THE COMMERCIAL BREAKS! they seem to be getting longer and longer evey dang year and I'm getting sick of it. I was at the BILLS VS. Browns game I counted 7 commercials 7! No other professional sports runs longer commercials than the NFL does. They gotta speed up the game!

That's always fun when the Bills are building momentum.

RedEyE
09-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Put the wide receivers back down in a three point stance.

I like this idea but how do you think it would effect the big play? It would certainly raise sack stats.

Jan Reimers
09-01-2006, 10:19 AM
The rule that allows a reception IF - in the official's JUDGMENT - the receiver WOULD have had both feet in bounds BUT he was pushed out in midair by the defender.

That's ridiculous. There are too many ifs and buts. If he's pushed out, he's out, and there should be no catch.

RedEyE
09-01-2006, 10:22 AM
The rule that allows a reception IF - in the official's JUDGMENT - the receiver WOULD have had both feet in bounds BUT he was pushed out in midair by the defender.

That's ridiculous. There are too many ifs and buts. If he's pushed out, he's out, and there should be no catch.

I agree Jan. There are too many rules that give power to the officials and it upsets the balance of the game.

Kerr
09-01-2006, 12:56 PM
The cheerleaders would be stripped down to bikinis as new uniforms.

bflojohn
09-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Good ideas abound, however, as a Bills fan, total revenue sharing will keep the Buffalo Bills viable and where they belong! I can take bad calls, LONG commercial breaks and just about anything else, but just leave the Bills in Buffalo! Share owners, SHARE!!

jmb1099
09-01-2006, 02:22 PM

Yes! (no pun intended)

I live a substantial distance out of town, if I want to watch the Bills I have one option Directv. I don't have a problem with Directv, but we have the Opt triple play package and quite honestly its great so I don't want to change. So here's what I wish they would do.
Alow out of town fans to buy a season pass for television for the team you want to follow. With the technology we have today there is no reason this couldn't be done. This way no matter where you go you can follow your team and the NFL would make a ton of money.
So you call or log on to nfl.com, buy your season pass. When you fill in the personal information one of the questions they would ask is who is your cable/satellite provider?
You fill in the credit card information and your cable provider send you an updated card for your receiver that unlocks every game for your team. Everyone makes money, everyone wins.

Michael82
09-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Quit adding more rules to make it impossible to go after the QB. i mean, come on! All you gotta do is breathe on Michael Vick, or Tom Brady and you will get a flag. And they added another rule this year because of Carson Palmer's injury. It's getting ridiculous!

YardRat
09-01-2006, 06:15 PM
On the field - pass interference = 15 yards, no more.

Off the field - rookie salary cap, increased revenue sharing.

Michael82
09-01-2006, 06:50 PM

:bf1:

Historian
09-02-2006, 07:31 AM
I like this idea but how do you think it would effect the big play? It would certainly raise sack stats.

I don't think so.

See, I'm for tweeking the game, not overhauling it.

Back in the day, receivers had to be in a 3 pt stance, and the DBs could bump and run until the ball was in the air.

Robert James from the Bills (Wall of Fame 1998) was a master at it.

Then, as passing and scoring made the game more popular, the league in it's infinite wisdom, slanted the rules towards the offense. They took away the bump and run, they stood the receivers upright, they instituted the five yard chuck rule, etc...

I would like to see (and apparently Gameboy would too) a reversal of that trend, and perhaps a better emphasis on the run game.

I think the first step is to knock a half a second off the WRs speed, by making him line up in a 3 pt stance.

And Yardrat is onto something with making pass interference a 15 yard penalty. The Hail Mary is now thrown in hopes of a flag as opposed to in hopes of a score. That affects the integrity of the game, IMO.

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 08:49 AM

My only problem with this is if QB finds an open man 20, 30, 40+ yards downfield and the receiver is clearly beating out the defender, the defender would purposely hack the WR as a last effort in order to break up the big pass play, settling for the 15 yard penalty. But I definitly see the positive side to that as well.

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 08:50 AM
I don't think so.

See, I'm for tweeking the game, not overhauling it.

Back in the day, receivers had to be in a 3 pt stance, and the DBs could bump and run until the ball was in the air.

Robert James from the Bills (Wall of Fame 1998) was a master at it.

Then, as passing and scoring made the game more popular, the league in it's infinite wisdom, slanted the rules towards the offense. They took away the bump and run, they stood the receivers upright, they instituted the five yard chuck rule, etc...

I would like to see (and apparently Gameboy would too) a reversal of that trend, and perhaps a better emphasis on the run game.

I think the first step is to knock a half a second off the WRs speed, by making him line up in a 3 pt stance.

And Yardrat is onto something with making pass interference a 15 yard penalty. The Hail Mary is now thrown in hopes of a flag as opposed to in hopes of a score. That affects the integrity of the game, IMO.

:hail:

X-Era
09-02-2006, 09:22 AM
..what would that be.

Id like to see real farm teams with summer leagues, not NFL Europe, but real farm squads playing lots of x-college or signed players. Id love to have football be on all year.

Id like to see us fix the mess that they call defensive pass interference. Its simply ridiculous. Its actually possible to have a 99 yard penalty, thats simply ridiculous. These are guys wearing pads, but the D has to treat them like they are porcelain. Let em fight for the ball. You beat a guy or make a grab OVER him, it will be even better. Now its like they are untouchable. At least change the pass interference from spot of foul to say 10 or 15 yards. QB's are picking up 40-50 yards sometimes with this crap. But your taking away what would have been a 50 yard play....BS! Then a face mask with one guy to beat on a KR or run should count as a TD.

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Id like to see real farm teams with summer leagues, not NFL Europe, but real farm squads playing lots of x-college or signed players. Id love to have football be on all year.

Id like to see us fix the mess that they call defensive pass interference. Its simply ridiculous. Its actually possible to have a 99 yard penalty, thats simply ridiculous. These are guys wearing pads, but the D has to treat them like they are porcelain. Let em fight for the ball. You beat a guy or make a grab OVER him, it will be even better. Now its like they are untouchable. At least change the pass interference from spot of foul to say 10 or 15 yards. QB's are picking up 40-50 yards sometimes with this crap. But your taking away what would have been a 50 yard play....BS! Then a face mask with one guy to beat on a KR or run should count as a TD.

Right. I here ya, but like I said before the only thing that concerns me about limiting the yardage on interference calls allows DBs to purposely hack receivers to negate the long ball. When they know they're about to get beat for a 40 or 50 yard TD, a 15 yard penalty doesn't sound so bad then. Kind of like the intentional foul in basketball nearing the end of a game.

The_Philster
09-02-2006, 06:42 PM
And Yardrat is onto something with making pass interference a 15 yard penalty. The Hail Mary is now thrown in hopes of a flag as opposed to in hopes of a score. That affects the integrity of the game, IMO.Thing is...I can only recall pass interference ever being called on a Hail Mary once...and of course it had to be against us :fit: How McAuley got promoted to refereee after that call, I'll never know. :grind:

Dantheman1280
09-02-2006, 07:40 PM
These guys are making way to much money to play a game. It is sick!!
1) Lower the salary cap. It's just plain stupid that guys get paid this much.
2) Lower ticket prices! ( I will say the Bills are very fair). But for a family of 4 to go to a game is gonna set them back at very least 400$. After parking, food. etc. It's just nuts.
3) More years of restricted free agency. I hate going year to year with so much roster turn over.

MikeInRoch
09-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I'd move the goal posts five feet to the right. Effective retro-actively.

Billscusey
09-03-2006, 04:51 PM

Please don't neg me for saying this but.......I actually like the new style uniforms! (Plus, I wasn't around for the "retro" uniform days, so I don't feel I've earned the right to wear one of those).

Mad Bomber
09-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I like most of the ideas presented so far:

1. More plays reviewable
2. Less preseason games
3. Rookie limitations on their contracts

I'd add:

4. Superbowl to be played in any stadium - not just "warm" areas.

5. This is more media related, but the NFL ticket and NFL network should be available on any satellite or cable provider. Hell, even sell it through a streaming interface on a computer. Anybody who wants access should be able to get it!!! And maybe more exhibition games in other countries - show the world that football is an order of magnitude better and more exciting than a soccer game!

6. Shorten the distance of the blackout rule - for example, in our case, Syracuse should not be blacked out if a Billsgame doesn't sell out...

7. Better replays. I like the camera the floats on top of the players and moves around. I think you should have more. In fact, I told people last year that in the future, I could see cameras strategically placed all over the place (some with zoom lenses) that would allow you to do Matrix-like replays - this might also better help officials in making/reversing calls. Perhaps the refs should have cameras in their hats also so we can see what they were looking at (angle-wise, etc) when they make calls.

8. With the money we pay...stadiums, jumbotrons, etc should be updated. We pay alot and should get something in return. Even though I don't own one, I think it is so wrong that people are paying a high premium for those heated red seats in the stadium...and now they are being told that 40% of them don't work and that they can't fix them b'cse the company that did them no longer does and so there are no plans...but that they shouuld remain content that they have their own concession stand and bathrooms. If I owned one of those seats, I'd be pretty pissed!

9. Refs should have some accountability. I know most of the time, they are doing their best, but sometimes (like our last superbowl) the refs wearing yellow and black was an understatement. Perhaps there can be more refs in the booth that could override an on field ref, but maybe...the ref that gets the most calls wrong (since they do review them afterward) or over a certain threshold - should get fired the following year...or something like that.
:bf1: