PDA

View Full Version : Donte Whitner is going to be tested

ghz in pittsburgh
09-01-2006, 10:54 AM
From the pre-season games, it looks like the Pats will rely on TEs a great deal for their passing game, and Watson has been tearing it up. I hate to say that he's Brady's new favorite receiver because Brady generally finds any open guys as his favorite receiver. So Whitner gets to cover Watson while keeping an eye on the backfield because he may have to fight off Watson for run support.

All this for a rookie playing his first ever NFL game. Then again, he's drafted 8th overall. We'll see.

bflojohn
09-01-2006, 01:20 PM
This logic is EXACTLY why Donte Whitner was the pick at #8. His speed and strength are a perfect match for the match-up problems posed by Graham and Watson. I will say that the Bills need an outstanding game from Troy Vincent, because his coverage responsibilities will be tested. The OLB's, Crowell and Spikes need a watchful eye on Kevin Faulk this week, IMO!!

TigerJ
09-01-2006, 06:41 PM
This logic is EXACTLY why Donte Whitner was the pick at #8. His speed and strength are a perfect match for the match-up problems posed by Graham and Watson. I will say that the Bills need an outstanding game from Troy Vincent, because his coverage responsibilities will be tested. The OLB's, Crowell and Spikes need a watchful eye on Kevin Faulk this week, IMO!!I wouldn't say he matches perfectly. Donte would have to be 4 inches taller, 15 lbs heavier, and just as fast to be a perfect match, but he does have enough speed. I think Brady is using his tight ends a lot because his receivers are so so without Deion Branch.

!Papacrunk!
09-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I hate Tom Brady. I hate him because he is so good that even w/o an all star cast of receivers, he is still able to get the ball to all of his receivers and make them seem like all stars. He better be good for at least 10 games or so, since he's one of my FFL QBs, lol.

HHURRICANE
09-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I hate Tom Brady. I hate him because he is so good that even w/o an all star cast of receivers, he is still able to get the ball to all of his receivers and make them seem like all stars. He better be good for at least 10 games or so, since he's one of my FFL QBs, lol.

Yeah, we have watched Brady just pick us apart. Do you Blitz like crazy and get burned or do you back in coverage and give him time to burn you.

I am relying on our offense, not our defense, to win this game.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Better chance in coverage. Instead of allowing Brady beat blitz by throwing to wide open guys, you kind of force the receivers run better routes and Brady throw into tighter coverage, giving yourself a better chance to play on the receivers particularly IF they are not well seasoned.

Blitz puts more pressure on the QB whereas good coverage puts equal pressure on the QB and receivers.

Unfortunately for the Bills so far, they showed to have a lot of holes in their first go around with the cover 2.

Richard Gozinya
09-01-2006, 09:56 PM
http://longsessions.com/img/dpz/Edgrimley.jpghttp://bentley.umich.edu/athdept/images/bradyt.jpg