PDA

View Full Version : Injury shelves Maroney: Rookie out with leg injury

Gunzlingr
09-01-2006, 11:43 AM
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - A number of Patriots starters sat out last night’s preseason finale as presumably healthy scratches - quarterback Tom Brady (http://www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Tom+Brady&mode=score&sorting=pubdate), defensive lineman Ty Warren, wide receiver Reche Caldwell.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> One player supposedly on that list was rookie running back Laurence Maroney (http://www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Laurence+Maroney&mode=score&sorting=pubdate). But it was learned last night that Maroney’s reasons for missing the game were anything but benign - he’s injured.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> The rookie running back and vital piece of the offense has a knee injury and didn’t make the trip to the Meadowlands, staying behind in Foxboro

It is believed that Maroney was hurt early in last Saturday’s victory over the Washington Redskins at Gillette Stadium. He carried on three straight plays in the first quarter, losing 2 yards off left tackle on his final run. He didn’t appear the rest of the game and then didn’t practice all week.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> The Patriots aren’t sure of the severity of the injury and it’s unknown if his status will be affected for the opener next weekend against Buffalo.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> If Maroney misses any length of time, it would be a blow to the offense. With No. 1 wide receiver Deion Branch (http://www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Deion+Branch&mode=score&sorting=pubdate) holding out and lead running back Corey Dillon (http://www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Corey+Dillon&mode=score&sorting=pubdate) appearing sluggish for much of the preseason, Maroney was being counted on to inject explosiveness into the attack.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> He has averaged more than 6 yards a carry in the preseason and took his one kickoff 36 yards before fumbling. One of the reasons the Patriots have moved the ball so effortlessly this preseason has been the running of Maroney, who showed an added dimension last week by knifing through traffic for a 5-yard touchdown run.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> Maroney, the 21st overall pick out of the University of Minnesota, was extremely durable in college, rushing for more than 1,100 yards in each of his three seasons and appearing in 36 games total.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> He was expected to carry a significant load this season, particularly if the injury problems that bit Dillon last year reappeared.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> Patriots coach Bill Belichick (http://www.bostonherald.com/search/?searchSite=true&keyword=Bill+Belichick&mode=score&sorting=pubdate) was asked earlier last week how he envisioned Dillon and Maroney splitting carries.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> “We’ll just see how it works out,” Belichick said. “It might change from week to week. I think all of our backs have shown some skill and some ability to make plays. How all of that works out, we’ll just have to see.”
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> Dillon declined comment last night. Belichick, when asked why Brady didn’t attend the game, said he wasn’t going to run down the inactives.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=8><SPACER type="block" height="8" width="8"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> “The players that were here tonight played and the ones that weren’t didn’t,” Belichick said. “We’re not going to do a player-by-player rundown.”

more (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=155448)

OpIv37
09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Our chances just got a little better.

But I still say Brady shreds our Cover 2.

Ickybaluky
09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
I'd be surprised if Maroney were hurt badly at all. I saw the play he reportedly got hurt on, and he showed no signs of injury. He got up and walked off the field without a limp, then took his helmet off on the sideline to talk with RB Coach Ivan Fears.

If he is hurt at all, I'd be surprised if it were anything that kept him from playing.

Gunzlingr
09-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I'd be surprised if Maroney were hurt badly at all. I saw the play he reportedly got hurt on, and he showed no signs of injury. He got up and walked off the field without a limp, then took his helmet off on the sideline to talk with RB Coach Ivan Fears.

If he is hurt at all, I'd be surprised if it were anything that kept him from playing.

Could be, Footballguys.com seemed a bit concerned, so I thought I would post it.

Jan Reimers
09-01-2006, 11:51 AM
It's Belichick playing his mind games again. The Bills should pay no attention to his phony injury reporting tactics, but prepare as if every Pat will be on the field.

OpIv37
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM

I hope the team is taking Jan's advice, but as for us fans- this game is a huge uphill battle for us. We're going to desperately cling to any piece of information that mildly increases our chances of winning.

OpIv37
09-01-2006, 11:57 AM
It's Belichick playing his mind games again. The Bills should pay no attention to his phony injury reporting tactics, but prepare as if every Pat will be on the field.

I think you're half right.

You're right about what the team should do.

You're right about mind games but wrong about the source- this is Footballguys.com trying to get some attention. If they're right, it will bring them additional credibility. If they're wrong, at least it will get them a lot of clicks from Bills fans, Pats fans and FF players between now and the opener.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
NO!!! I have Maroney as one of my backup fantasy RBs. Actually was thinking of starting him vs the Bills. :snicker:

Hey, money is money. The Bills can still win and he could have a good game at the same time.

SABURZFAN
09-01-2006, 02:06 PM
maroney is going to be something special for the Pats.he fits in bellycheck's system.

HAMMER
09-01-2006, 02:25 PM
maroney is going to be something special for the Pats.he fits in bellycheck's system.

What I saw of him, especially against the Falcons, was very impressive. While I never wish ill upon any team or player, I would not lose sleep if he missed the opener because our chances of victory would increase.

HAMMER
09-01-2006, 02:26 PM
NO!!! I have Maroney as one of my backup fantasy RBs. Actually was thinking of starting him vs the Bills. :snicker:

Hey, money is money. The Bills can still win and he could have a good game at the same time.

This is the only thing that bugs me about fantasy FB, I can't stand it when people root for players on opposing teams.

Mr. Cynical
09-01-2006, 02:47 PM
This is the only thing that bugs me about fantasy FB, I can't stand it when people root for players on opposing teams.

I agree. And it's not only when players are playing against your home team - I want the Patsies to lose every single game but I since I have Maroney, I am forced to root for him. But when you have $$$ on the line, business is business.

You really have to have two sets of emotions when playing FFB and watching as a fan.