PDA

View Full Version : SABRES sign 10 year pact with MSG

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-01-2006, 12:08 PM
The Buffalo Sabres today announced a 10-year extension with the Madison Square Garden Network (MSG) to annually televise about 74 games of the National Hockey League team in Western New York. The rights fee being paid for the deal, which runs through the 2016-17 season, was not disclosed.
Larry Quinn, the Sabres managing partner, said a confidentiality agreement prevents him from revealing the annual fee the team is receiving.

"The financial package is better than what we currently enjoy," said Quinn in a telephone interview. "Despite all the prediction of gloom and doom, we've put the issue to bed."

The failure to release the rights fee means Sabre fans will have to take Quinn's word on that. Quinn added that he believes MSG, a regional sports network based in New York City, will remain on basic cable on local systems that Time Warner operates.

"[MSG] has a multiyear agreement with Time Warner, and there is language in the agreement that gives us comfort," said Quinn.

The deal begins after the end of the upcoming 2006-07 season, the final year of the Sabres' lucrative $8 million to $9 million per season agreement with defunct Adelphia Cable. The Sabres paid what Quinn termed a minor fee to control advertising sales this season, revenue that Adelphia kept last season.

Under terms of the new MSG deal, Quinn said the Sabres will pay for production costs starting in 2007-08 - believed to be in the range of $2 million to $2.5 million a season - and will keep all the advertising revenue to offset the costs. Adelphia paid for production costs in the previous deal.

----------
Quinn also confirmed that there will be no announcing changes this season. Play-by-play man Rick Jeanneret, who had publicly stated that he was considering retirement, will be back, Quinn said.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060901/1022524.asp?tbd1022524.asp

JD
09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
:up:

But this means no Empire Sports Network, EVER :(

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
:up:

But this means no Empire Sports Network, EVER :(

I wouldn't say that why do you think they want to get rid of NFL Network:question::rrich:

BlackMetalNinja
09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
Thats great... if you're in Western NY that is :(

SabreEleven
09-01-2006, 05:14 PM
and it guarentee's that they'll be on Center Ice.

BlackMetalNinja
09-01-2006, 05:48 PM
and it guarentee's that they'll be on Center Ice.

In that case... woohoo!!! How the hell do I find out about ordering that where I am anyways?

Bill Brasky
09-01-2006, 06:50 PM
woohoo!!!

:rofl:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-01-2006, 06:56 PM
http://sabres.com/newsarchive.cfm?id=615

SkateZilla
09-02-2006, 10:58 AM
it also Raises Rumors than When Versus Airs Sabres Games, they'll have to use the MSG Feed.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-02-2006, 12:26 PM
In that case... woohoo!!! How the hell do I find out about ordering that where I am anyways?

go here: http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice/index.html

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-02-2006, 05:19 PM
it also Raises Rumors than When Versus Airs Sabres Games, they'll have to use the MSG Feed.

So let me get this straight, so this means when the Sabres play on Versus that Rick Jeanneret will be doing the play-by-play & Jim Lorentz doing the color commentary:question: not Doc Emmerick his voice is just irritating and John Davidson or some other bad versus announcer BULLSEYE! this is hockey not archery. :roflmao: Sabres fans who haven't ever heard Rick Jeanneret do play-by-play get ready you will be amazed! he is only the best hockey play-by-play announcer ever. POMINVILLE GOES AROUND ALFREDSSON, CUTS OUT IN FRONT TAKES A SHOT SCOOOORES!!! JASON POMINVILLE SHORTHANDED, OH NOW DO YOU BELIEVE:question:, NOW YOU BELIEVE:question: THESE GUYS ARE GOOD SCARY GOOD AND THEY WILL EITHER TAKE ON CAROLINA OR NJ, THE BUFFALO SABRES KNOCK OFF THE OTTAWA SENATORS IN OOOOOOOVERTIME.

SabreEleven
09-02-2006, 10:48 PM
What are you two idiots babbling about? Even if Verses uses the MSG feed that doesn't mean they'll use Rick and Jim, they'll have their own announcers. They'll use MSG's camera shot but not the same announcers. Plus when the game is on Verses, chances are it won't be on MSG.

PUCKER
09-02-2006, 11:20 PM
More MSG! :up:

JD
09-04-2006, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't say that why do you think they want to get rid of NFL Network:question::rrich:
The NFL Network doesnt show Bills games..its more for out of town football. Plus doesnt the NFL sell its games to CBS?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-04-2006, 02:10 AM
What are you two idiots babbling about? Even if Verses uses the MSG feed that doesn't mean they'll use Rick and Jim, they'll have their own announcers. They'll use MSG's camera shot but not the same announcers. Plus when the game is on Verses, chances are it won't be on MSG.

Really, Because I remember when the NHL used to be on Fox, We were playing Boston and RJ was doing the play-by-play. That's why I said maybe RJ will do play-by-play when the Sabres play on Versus.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Nhlonfox.jpg
Play-by-Play Men
1995-1996
Mike Emrick
Kenny Albert
Sam Rosen
Pat Foley
Jiggs McDonald
Randy Hahn
Dave Strader
Rick Jeanneret
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOX_NHL_Saturday#Play-by-Play_Men

kgun12
09-04-2006, 11:56 PM
This is good news!:bandwagon

Historian
09-05-2006, 03:27 AM
They need to dump the guy in the studio with Roby and Ray.

He stinks.

Hire back Blessing.

carybillsfan
09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
There are a number of things wrong with what guys are saying. This agreement does not take effect until "end of the upcoming 2006-07 season." RJ has been rumored to be retiring after this year. Secondly this is the last year of the deal between Vs and the NHL(there is an option for 07-08). Vs has exclusive rights to all games it televises, and they cannot be shown on regional broadcast in local markets, only on versus. Thus opening night will not be on MSG it will only air on Vs. (also that is why the future contract states about 74 games, leaving room for national TV coverage.) Finally, empire is not coming back....ever, TWC wants to get rid of NFL network because it is a draw for their Digital service...if you order Digital Cable you will keep NFL network. TWC has refused to pay for NFL network to be carried in all their markets on analog. Just another reason TWC sucks...get DirecTv and say good-bye to analog all together.

BlackMetalNinja
09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
There are a number of things wrong with what guys are saying. This agreement does not take effect until "end of the upcoming 2006-07 season." RJ has been rumored to be retiring after this year. Secondly this is the last year of the deal between Vs and the NHL(there is an option for 07-08). Vs has exclusive rights to all games it televises, and they cannot be shown on regional broadcast in local markets, only on versus. Thus opening night will not be on MSG it will only air on Vs. (also that is why the future contract states about 74 games, leaving room for national TV coverage.) Finally, empire is not coming back....ever, TWC wants to get rid of NFL network because it is a draw for their Digital service...if you order Digital Cable you will keep NFL network. TWC has refused to pay for NFL network to be carried in all their markets on analog. Just another reason TWC sucks...get DirecTv and say good-bye to analog all together.

Time Warner doesn't have NFL Network on Digital Cable either, at least not here, nor in Rochester...

carybillsfan
09-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Time Warner doesn't have NFL Network on Digital Cable either, at least not here, nor in Rochester...

Sorry then, I thought they were getting it down here, at least thats what the TWC salesman said in June when he stopped by my house and tried to get me to swtch from Directv. I told him to get a life, and call me when you guys get the Sunday Ticket.