PDA

View Full Version : Huge Branch update!

BILLSROCK1212
09-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Seahawks | Team still pushing for Branch
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 19:37:56 -0700
John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports even though the deadline to trade for him has passed, the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/33/nfl">Seattle Seahawks are still pursuing New England Patriots (http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl) WR Deion Branch (http://www.kffl.com/player/1202/nfl). A source in Seattle said the Seahawks (http://www.kffl.com/team/33/nfl) believe they're very much in the mix and that the Patriots (http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl) told them, "They're going to continue to pursue this thing." Sources say the Patriots (http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl) have backed off requests for two first-round picks and would accept a first-round pick and a middle-round pick. Though the Seahawks (http://www.kffl.com/team/33/nfl) didn't offer higher than a second-round pick, a source they said they would be willing to trade their first-round pick, which would likely be low in the draft anyway.

If you selected Matt Haselbeck in your fantasy draft congrats you are in for a hell of a season. Wow!!!! Jakcson Branch Burrelson Engram amazing WRs! This trade will go through and will effect the division this season and the future of this division greatly!

~CHIEF~
09-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Get him out of the AFCE!

BADTHINGSMAN
09-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Id love to see Branch out of the AFCE, but lets not celebrate until its a done deal..

Goobylal
09-01-2006, 10:46 PM
It still won't happen.

Ickybaluky
09-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Right now, it looks like he will be traded at some point, probably in the next couple days.

Otherwise, he seems certain to sit up until November. The situation has really deteriorated, and it seems far-fetched to think it can be patched up.

Goobylal
09-01-2006, 10:54 PM
The relationship between Branch and the Pats is finished. If the Seahawks are smart, they'll sit tight, offer Branch a little more money (they already offer him a better situation than the Jets), and wait for the Pats to lower their demands to the 2nd rounder they were initially offering. It's either that or have a WR on their hands who will sit-out the first 10 games.

Ickybaluky
09-01-2006, 11:18 PM
It's either that or have a WR on their hands who will sit-out the first 10 games.

I don't think that would disturb the Pats as much as you think. They look at Branch being out in the same manner as missed time to injury. You move on.

However, I think the team would like some resolution, which is why they got involved in the whole process. Obviously, they have egg on their faces the way this thing has blown up, but they hadn't talked in month and they didn't want it to carry into the season.

That is why I think something happens soon. I think he gets dealt.

Throne Logic
09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
It's the Milloy situation all over again. Or Law, for that matter. Odds are, if there wasn't much trade interest, Branch would have been cut. Most of us all gasp and call that rediculous. But that's exactly what happened with Milloy.

Goobylal
09-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Branch has trade interest versus the other guys because he's young. However given his never having had a 1,000 yard season or more than 5 TD's, teams are balking at giving-up more than a 2nd rounder.

Ickybaluky
09-01-2006, 11:38 PM
It's the Milloy situation all over again. Or Law, for that matter. Odds are, if there wasn't much trade interest, Branch would have been cut. Most of us all gasp and call that rediculous. But that's exactly what happened with Milloy.

The Pats wanted to keep Milloy, but they wanted him to take a paycut. They were tight against the cap that year, and wanted him to give some money back. He refused and was cut. Law was similar, they would have liked to keep him but his salary was high. Since he wouldn't take a paycut, they had to cut him.

Branch is a completely different situation. He makes short money this year (a little over $1M) and he is played way beyond that. They aren't about to cut him, he is a bargain.

The big snafu with Branch is the Pats want to keep the current year salary and sign him to an extention for future years. Branch wants the Pats to tear up that last year. They can't get beyond that sticking point.

Goobylal
09-01-2006, 11:50 PM
The Pats are being silly. It's not like they are up against the cap. In fact, they're well UNDER the cap. But hey, I don't care how silly they're being, just as long as Branch isn't playing for them, be it on another team or the first 10 games (and then gone).

Mr. Cynical
09-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Hope BB doesnt' budge and Seattle says FU. That way Branch sits and the Pats get nothing.

CuseJetsFan83
09-02-2006, 02:31 AM
whether it ends up being the jets or the seahawks, it looks like an aribitrator is the only way that this will be resolved...... the contract isnt the problem its the compensation......

honestly i would love to have branch on the jets, being a jets fan, but he isnt worth 2 first rounds.... or even a 1st and a middle....

mybills
09-02-2006, 06:56 AM
And the saga continues till November.

don137
09-02-2006, 07:13 AM
I hope no trade is consumated and he sits 10 games. The Bills won't have to face him at all, the Patriots would be weakened without him in the lineup and they would lose Branch at the end of the year and get nothing in return...

Ickybaluky
09-02-2006, 07:18 AM
And the saga continues till November.

No necessarily. Branch's hearing must be heard within 7 days. It is likely the NFLPA will try to broker a deal before the hearing, like they did when TO was leaving SF. In that case, a ruling was never made because the various parties worked out a resolution before the ruling. I'd guess Branch ends up being traded, in which case the Pats miscalculated (I think think they wanted him back).

I will give Deion credit, he got his Reggie Wayne money. The reports are the contract is for 6 years/$36M-$39M, $13M SB and $23M over the first 3 years. If Deion ends up getting traded into that contract, the whole holdout would end up being worthwhile for him.

Deion is a good guy by all accounts, and a good player. If he does end up leaving, I'm glad he got his money. NFL players have a short window to make money, and Deion didn't make huge dollars on his rookie deal because he was a late 2nd round pick. If he ends up gone, I wish him well.

djjimkelly
09-02-2006, 08:27 AM
best case scenario for bills with branch would be he holds out until 6 games left then reports to pats to get his year service. then pats get no compenastion for him in the end!!!!!!!!!!!

patmoran2006
09-02-2006, 08:29 AM
This is going to hurt NE more than losing McGinest or Givens.

If they had known this, Im SURE they woulda gave Givens more bucks.

Good.. F them

Goobylal
09-02-2006, 09:59 AM
whether it ends up being the jets or the seahawks, it looks like an aribitrator is the only way that this will be resolved...... the contract isnt the problem its the compensation......

honestly i would love to have branch on the jets, being a jets fan, but he isnt worth 2 first rounds.... or even a 1st and a middle....
Would Branch be worth a high 1st rounder? Because the Jets still won't be a good team with Branch (given he'll have missed the entire off- and pre-season and won't know the offense for awhile), so the 1st rounder they'd end up giving-up is probably going to be in the top-10. I wouldn't want to give that up for a guy who's never caught more than 1,000 yards worth of passes or 5 TD's.

ParanoidAndroid
09-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I guess Burleson isn't quite living up to expectations. I suppose Jackson, Engram, Burleson, Warrick, and Hackett aren't getting the job done. Engram is getting up there and Jackson is having trouble with injuries. Branch and a healthy Jackson would be killer.
As long as I am pretty sure buffalo doesn't have a chance, I'd like to see Seattle win it all this year.

BILLSROCK1212
09-02-2006, 12:03 PM
I guess Burleson isn't quite living up to expectations. I suppose Jackson, Engram, Burleson, Warrick, and Hackett aren't getting the job done. Engram is getting up there and Jackson is having trouble with injuries. Branch and a healthy Jackson would be killer.
As long as I am pretty sure buffalo doesn't have a chance, I'd like to see Seattle win it all this year.Warrick is getting cut a

BILLSROCK1212
09-02-2006, 12:03 PM
As long as I am pretty sure buffalo doesn't have a chance, I'd like to see Seattle win it all this year.Warrick is getting cut also here is the lattest Branch news........
Patriots | Branch hearing to be held next week
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 09:59:21 -0700
John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl">New England Patriots WR Deion Branch (http://www.kffl.com/player/1202/nfl)'s grievance hearing is expected to be held Saturday, Sept. 9, in either New York or Foxboro, according to one of Branch's representatives, Jeffrey Kessler.