PDA

View Full Version : The Cuts Are In

Romes
09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4091

Among the cuts: Lionel Gates, Rashad Baker, Wendel Hunter, Liam Ezekial, George Wilson, Jim Leonard

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, never expected to see Gates on that list!! hate to see Wilson go, but he may end up making the practice squad.

L.A. Playa
09-02-2006, 04:40 PM
who does Coy Wire blow to keep making the roster ???

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Good ****ing question.

Philagape
09-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Gates!?!?!!?!?!? :wtf:

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 04:42 PM
I'm going to start refering to Reed and Wire, as Kneel and Bob.

L.A. Playa
09-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Eric King is kinda suprising I guess they are cleaning house of the Donahoe era

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 04:45 PM

He had a really bad preseason.

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm also somewhat suprised to see Ezielkel on the list. He might be another practice squad eligible candidate. They had their heads up his ass all preseason.

Romes
09-02-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm going to start refering to Reed and Wire, as Kneel and Bob.

:lol:

Can we add a name for Shaud Williams for making it over Gates?

G. Host
09-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Cuts probably are not final since Bills will look at those other teams cut especially those by AFC East rivals who may have knowledge to bring.

None of the cuts advocated by rabid vocal posters who think they know more than professional football people got cut (i.e. Wire, Shaud, Holcomb).

Romes
09-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm also somewhat suprised to see Ezielkel on the list. He might be another practice squad eligible candidate. They had their heads up his ass all preseason.

Now, DiGiorgio is the backup to Fletcher. Was I not paying attention cause I didn't really see him do much all pre-season?

he must have photos of the coaching staff.

Voltron
No Gates Jersey for me :sad:

RedEyE
Did anyone happen to catch the note at the top of the link?

Joe Burns was placed on Reserve/Injured list.

OpIv37
I'm disappointed that King got cut, but not surprised. I liked what I saw from him but with Clements, Youboty and Whitner, he's expendable.

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Now, DiGiorgio is the backup to Fletcher. Was I not paying attention cause I didn't really see him do much all pre-season?

he must have photos of the coaching staff.

I think he had a sack or two against Detroit. Other than that :idunno:

I'll now refer to him as Pappa DiGiorgio.

Romes
09-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Gates!?!?!!?!?!? :wtf:

wtf is the right question. I don't get this move. the guy was 2nd best RB during pre-season.

only thing i can think of is maybe he isn't "versatile" enough...but still this suprises me.

bernielivsey_1
09-02-2006, 04:51 PM
If Shaud, Josh and Coy can make this team......maybe I should tryout next year.

Philagape
09-02-2006, 04:53 PM
wtf is the right question. I don't get this move. the guy was 2nd best RB during pre-season.

only thing i can think of is maybe he isn't "versatile" enough...but still this suprises me.

I'm wondering if Dick is playing favorites because Thomas was in Chicago. It's not like Thomas is versatile

Jan Reimers
09-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm surprised that Jerman and Geisinger are gone also, and that 3 rookie O- Linemen - Butler, Pennington and Merz - all made it. We're pretty green on the OL.

Dr. Lecter
09-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Hmm...

I guess Neufeld is the back-up FB.

I don't understand the Wire over Leonard/Bake thing.

bernielivsey_1
09-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Let us pray for that starting o-line to stay healthy. In the name of the father and the son..........................

Typ0
09-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Wilson will never get to our practice squad...heck he could be the missing link for a team like the Eagles.

OpIv37
Hmm...

I guess Neufeld is the back-up FB.

I don't understand the Wire over Leonard/Bake thing.

The Wire thing is even more confusing because Posey and Ezekiel were cut because they didn't have speed for the Cover 2, yet somehow Coy Wire makes it....

(I know, it's LB's vs Safety but still- if the safety's job is to cover half the field I'd like someone faster than Coy Wire doing it).

RedEyE
I'm wondering if Dick is playing favorites because Thomas was in Chicago. It's not like Thomas is versatile

I certainly hope not. While I like Thomas, Gates had more to offer IMO. He seemed to respond well in preseason and even made some very nice catches in the passing game. I didn't think he was even a question mark.

The thing is I guess the Bills felt that both Burns and Shaud Williams offered something more in versatility. I honeslty thought we would have seen either one of them cut, not Gates.

I'll be pissed if he gets picked up by the Jets.

Romes
09-02-2006, 05:03 PM
I think he had a sack or two against Detroit. Other than that :idunno:

I'll now refer to him as Pappa DiGiorgio.

Ok, that explains it. I didn't watch the second half of the Detroit game.

Good for him though coming in as a undrafted free agent from a DivII school and making an nfl team.

Romes
09-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I certainly hope not. While I like Thomas, Gates had more to offer IMO. He seemed to respond well in preseason and even made some very nice catches in the passing game. I didn't think he was even a question mark.

The thing is I guess the Bills felt that both Burns and Shaud Williams offered something more in versatility. I honeslty thought we would have seen either one of them cut, not Gates.

Burns is out for the year...they put him on IR.

G. Host
09-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm surprised that Jerman and Geisinger are gone also, and that 3 rookie O- Linemen - Butler, Pennington and Merz - all made it. We're pretty green on the OL.

Front office probably figures starters will last a couple of games and they can pick up someone else post game 1 and save some money.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
The cuts leave us pretty thin at CB (4, including the rookie Youboty who missed much of camp), no true backup for Shelton, the rookie Digiorgio backing up Fletcher, and 3 rooks and a 2nd year guy as the OL backups.

I'm surprised.

RedEyE
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Burns is out for the year...they put him on IR.

Hell, they should have cut Burns.

Philagape
09-02-2006, 05:11 PM

Or the Fins. They need a backup RB, at least for 4 games.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Notice that - due at least in part to Marv's influence - most of the Special Teams aces are still with us. Stamer, Haggan, Wire, Bowen, Aiken, et. al.

Mr. Pink
09-02-2006, 05:13 PM
Gates being cut didn't surprise me, as I posted in the "possible surprise cut" thread. And the Bills website used the same reasoning as me, Shaud more versatile lol

Seriously though, no one on the list is that big of a surprise, I woulda liked George Wilson being kept over Andre Davis. But Davis staying is a money thing, too much salary to eat if he was let go.

L.A. Playa
09-02-2006, 05:14 PM
The cuts leave us pretty thin at CB (4, including the rookie Youboty who missed much of camp), no true backup for Shelton, the rookie Digiorgio backing up Fletcher, and 3 rooks and a 2nd year guy as the OL backups.

I'm surprised.

didnt Kiwaukeauakaia Thomas make the team at CB ???

TigerJ
09-02-2006, 05:18 PM

Shelby's gonna get ya!

Thurmal
09-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Why is anyone surprised Wire made the team?

He is the captain of the special teams, which has finished #1 two years in a row.

Dr. Lecter
09-02-2006, 05:23 PM

It looks that way.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2006, 05:23 PM
You're right. I forgot all about him - probably because I can't spell his first name. He beat out King, which is kind of surprising

TigerJ
09-02-2006, 05:24 PM
The rationale for keeping only the 4 CBs could be the speed and coverage ability Buffalo has at safety. That does give Buffalo some flexibility there. Both Simpson and Whitner have cornerback speed and cover ability. We can also expect to see a CB or 2 on the practice squad.

On second thought, Kiwaukee Thomas is listed as a DB, but for all practical purposes he's a CB. That gives Buffalo 5 CBs. What I said about Simpson and Whitner are still true though.

Dr. Lecter
09-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Gates being cut didn't surprise me, as I posted in the "possible surprise cut" thread. And the Bills website used the same reasoning as me, Shaud more versatile lol

Seriously though, no one on the list is that big of a surprise, I woulda liked George Wilson being kept over Andre Davis. But Davis staying is a money thing, too much salary to eat if he was let go.

I don't know if Davis had much (if any) of a signing bonus.

G. Host
09-02-2006, 05:26 PM
You're right. I forgot all about him - probably because I can't spell his first name. He beat out King, which is kind of surprising

The rational is he has time to develop while others had chance to prove they were so good enough they should have been drafted.

L.A. Playa
09-02-2006, 05:29 PM
I think what you see is both the offense and defense philosophies are built with speed at WR and RB and LB and DB and those who may have had more speed but about equal in ability made the team those with less quickness and speed did not make the team

Dr. Lecter
09-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Except for Coy Wire........

L.A. Playa
09-02-2006, 05:32 PM
Except for Coy Wire........

hasnt he always been thought of as a guy with tremendous speed ??? I think he was kept over Baker because he plays SS and Bowen is still hurt and Baker plays FS

madness
09-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Notice that - due at least in part to Marv's influence - most of the Special Teams aces are still with us. Stamer, Haggan, Wire, Bowen, Aiken, et. al.

Not just Marv, this whole coaching staff is on the same page. That's why nobody should be surprised at any of these cuts or 'keeps'. Wire was the special teams captain and proved it by being a ST tackling machine on Sundays.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2006, 05:35 PM

He is the captain of the special teams, which has finished #1 two years in a row.
In addition to Wire, Stamer, Haggan, Aiken and Bowen, ST play may have had something to do with Neufeld, Davis, Shaud Williams and K. Thomas making it over Cieslak, Wilson, Gates and King, respectively. Fast Freddie was about the only special teamer of note to get the axe.

L.A. Playa
09-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Wilson must have been the last cut he is still on the depth chart

G. Host
09-02-2006, 05:37 PM
In addition to Wire, Stamer, Haggan, Aiken and Bowen, ST play may have had something to do with Neufeld, Davis, Shaud Williams and K. Thomas making it over Cieslak, Wilson, Gates and King, respectively. Fast Freddie was about the only special teamer of note to get the axe.

Fast Freddy was cut so they could keep http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/182-1152663523.JPG http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/user_pics/182-1152663298.JPG They will be able to sign him back after the mouse gets knocked out in a few weeks.

ublinkwescore
09-02-2006, 05:44 PM

I thought Fletcher was.

ublinkwescore
09-02-2006, 05:45 PM

I thought Eric King made a few nice plays on D - like those quick hitches that he came up and made the open field tackles on - one against Carolina and one against Cincy...

BillsFever21
09-02-2006, 05:51 PM
What did any of you guys find so special about Gates? And to think some of you thought we were so deep people would give us draft picks for Gates.

Gates is a dime a dozen. He isn't any big loss.

Philagape
09-02-2006, 05:55 PM
What did any of you guys find so special about Gates? And to think some of you thought we were so deep people would give us draft picks for Gates.

Gates is a dime a dozen. He isn't any big loss.

I liked him better than Thomas

Tinboy
09-02-2006, 06:05 PM
King well that's a surprise.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Same here. The two were fairly similar, but Gates was younger and faster.

BillsFever21
09-02-2006, 06:08 PM

Well the coaching staff must not have.

I don't think any of you need to worry. Lionel Gates will never be a huge force in this league.

Every year you have a player or two that some fans overrate and think they are better then they really are for whatever reasons and overreact when they are released and don't make the team. Them players never turn out for another team and slowly fade away out of existence.

Lionel Gates was that player this year. Next years player is TBD.

Nighthawk
09-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Cuts probably are not final since Bills will look at those other teams cut especially those by AFC East rivals who may have knowledge to bring.

None of the cuts advocated by rabid vocal posters who think they know more than professional football people got cut (i.e. Wire, Shaud, Holcomb).

Yeah, we're totally clueless fans! I do know that everytime I watch these specific players play the game, that I can see they aren't good enough to be 3rd stringers on other teams. But thanks for the lecture.

clumping platelets
09-02-2006, 06:19 PM
We REALLY need some veteran depth on the OL :scared:

Meathead
09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
this popped right out at me when i saw the cuts

i mean those ARE the st aces right there. guys like wire, stamer, haggan, aiken, and burns (inj/res) dont even contribute in their offensive or defensive units, and dont really even fit the schemes. the linebacker depth appears especially vulnerable

hey i know marv loves st and they did make a difference on his golden year teams so i will trust their judgment. i didnt think they would be keeping all their st guys. i mean who did they let go, freddie smith is about it and he was just a kr really

The_Philster
09-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Well the coaching staff must not have.

I don't think any of you need to worry. Lionel Gates will never be a huge force in this league.

Every year you have a player or two that some fans overrate and think they are better then they really are for whatever reasons and overreact when they are released and don't make the team. Them players never turn out for another team and slowly fade away out of existence.

Lionel Gates was that player this year. Next years player is TBD. Anthony Gray

Meathead
09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
the st units better be pwning teams to invest that heavily at the expense of the other units. i hope that works out

BAM
09-02-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm kinda glad that German fellow is gone. He rubbed me the wrong way.

OpIv37
09-02-2006, 06:31 PM

good point, but Wire is a poor man's Matt Bowen and we have Matt Bowen.

There are only so many slots on the roster, so you have to pick and choose guys who only contribute on ST carefully.

YardRat
09-02-2006, 06:32 PM
I really thought Ezekiel, Odom, and/or Hunter had a chance to unseat Stamer and Haggan.

OpIv37
09-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I really thought Ezekiel, Odom, and/or Hunter had a chance to unseat Stamer and Haggan.

agreed- I really thought Stamer was gone.

chernobylwraiths
09-02-2006, 06:34 PM
7 linebackers for 3 positions?

chernobylwraiths
09-02-2006, 06:36 PM
and 10 defensive backs?!!!

The_Philster
09-02-2006, 06:44 PM
two words:special teams
Jauron made it clear they were keeping the best 53 players...regardless of position

OpIv37
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
two words:special teams
Jauron made it clear they were keeping the best 53 players...regardless of position

well I'm sure that's true to a point, but you can't have 10 defensive backs for 4 positions, 7 lb's for 3 positions and only 8 OL for 5 positions.

Oh wait, we do. Dammit.

Meathead
09-02-2006, 06:45 PM
first official roster of the season fyi:

3 QB: Losman, Holcomb, Nall
3 RB: McGahee, Thomas, Williams
1 FB: Shelton, (Burns R/I)
3 WR1: Evans, Aiken, Parrish
3 WR2: Price, Reed, Davis
3 TE: Royal, Everett, Neufeld
2 LT: Gandy, Pennington
1 LG: Reyes
2 C: Fowler, (Preston), Merz
2 RG: Villarial, Preston
2 RT: Peters, Butler

2 LE: Kelsay, Denney
2 LT: Tripplett, McCargo
2 RT: Anderson, Williams
2 RE: Schobel, Powell
2 SLB: Spikes, Haggan
2 MLB: Fletcher, DiGiorgio
3 WLB: Crowell, Ellison, Stamer
3 LC: McGee, Greer, Youboty
2 RC: Clements, Thomas
2 FS: Vincent, Simpson
3 SS: Bowen, Whitner, Wire

1 P: Moorman
1 K: Lindell
1 LS: Schneck

SpillerThrills
09-02-2006, 06:46 PM

There are only so many slots on the roster, so you have to pick and choose guys who only contribute on ST carefully.

and Wire contributes every game on ST.... he's one of the better tacklers on the unit and has good speed to get downfield and make a quick tackle.

Meathead
09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
biggest dropoff on the team: spikes to haggan

i suppose they could try crowell over there and let ellison play

but lets not think about that

OpIv37
09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
first official roster of the season fyi:

3 QB: Losman, Holcomb, Nall
3 RB: McGahee, Thomas, Williams
1 FB: Shelton, (Burns R/I)
3 WR1: Evans, Aiken, Parrish
3 WR2: Price, Reed, Davis
3 TE: Royal, Everett, Neufeld
2 LT: Gandy, Pennington
1 LG: Reyes
2 C: Fowler, (Preston), Merz
2 RG: Villarial, Preston
2 RT: Peters, Butler

2 LE: Kelsay, Denney
2 LT: Tripplett, McCargo
2 RT: Anderson, Williams
2 RE: Schobel, Powell
2 SLB: Spikes, Haggan
2 MLB: Fletcher, DiGiorgio
3 WLB: Crowell, Ellison, Stamer
3 LC: McGee, Greer, Youboty
2 RC: Clements, Thomas
2 FS: Vincent, Simpson
3 SS: Bowen, Whitner, Wire

1 P: Moorman
1 K: Lindell
1 LS: Schneck

Only 4 DT's and one of them is Tim Anderson? One injury will completely hose the rotation.

Meathead
09-02-2006, 06:48 PM
hey its clear they went whole hog on the st

fast freddie is about the only st casualty really. they obviously want that unit to dominate again

OpIv37
biggest dropoff on the team: spikes to haggan

i suppose they could try crowell over there and let ellison play

but lets not think about that

damn, that is a scary thought. An injury to Spikes, Fletcher or any DT except Anderson, and this D is going to be horrendous.

YardRat
7 linebackers for 3 positions?

We kept five for two at safety.

YardRat
09-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Too few kept on the lines, IMO.

Meathead
09-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm kinda glad that German fellow is gone. He rubbed me the wrong way.
all germans are evil

Mitchy moo
09-02-2006, 06:55 PM

Really funny op.

Scumbag College
09-02-2006, 07:16 PM
This is a very thin team...

Just think, the Bills are one play away from having a Thomas/Anderson starting RB tandem...

Or a rookie 7th round draft pick starting at LT...

Or DiGiorgio starting at MLB.

:stretcher

Dantheman1280
09-02-2006, 07:27 PM
No exp. at the depth tackle positions!!! I hope we are waiting for a veteran to be cut. Because the thought of Brad Butler or Pennington starting is down right scary.

ryjam282
09-02-2006, 07:33 PM
I really believe Gates got cut cause he is the same type of runner as A-Train and both are the same type of runner as Willis. With Shaud, you get that change of pace type of back that pretty much every team has. That little guy that catches the ball out of the backfield.

That is only reason I believe he got cut. I think that his battle was for #2 or out and that's it.....I am surprised though, I thought he looked better then A-Train but he doesn't have the experience that Thomas has.

Scumbag College
09-02-2006, 07:36 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

Here's a link to ESPN's NFL transaction page. I know there are several threads devoted to "Don't bring up every player released as someone the Bills should sign," but I gotta think that with the lack of veterans on the OL and DL that the Bills are going to at least consider some of the players released.

ryjam282
09-02-2006, 07:52 PM
I was honestly suprised about Rashad Baker getting cut. I noticed he was playing quite a bit in the preseason and seemed to be doing OK. When they moved Vincent down to the slot it was Baker who was in there...That was a bit surprise too.

ShadowHawk7
09-02-2006, 08:35 PM
The depth at OL and LB really F***** scare me. Hopefully we sign some decent players, a la Milloy in 2003.

THATHURMANATOR
09-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I really believe Gates got cut cause he is the same type of runner as A-Train and both are the same type of runner as Willis. With Shaud, you get that change of pace type of back that pretty much every team has. That little guy that catches the ball out of the backfield.

That is only reason I believe he got cut. I think that his battle was for #2 or out and that's it.....I am surprised though, I thought he looked better then A-Train but he doesn't have the experience that Thomas has.
agreed. Gates never really impressed me all that much. I wasn't sure why everyone was all about him.

justasportsfan
09-02-2006, 09:24 PM

During his injury at camp......

Coy:" coach , what time you want your massage?"
DJ:" 9pm, does it come with a happy ending?"
Coy:" Sure, lotion or oil".

mysticsoto
09-02-2006, 09:34 PM

I disagree. Gates has done essentially nothing. Mybills, myself and a couple of others have mentioned it several times. I think people are upset b'cse of the potential that we thought Gates might have. But he had plenty of opportunity these preseason games to shine and he didn't look good even against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I think the right thing was to keep Shaud and I had been saying so all along.

Wire made it to the team b'cse Bowen got hurt. Otherwise he wouldn't have made it. He will not make the team next year and if Bowen makes a full recovery, he can always be waived if we need to get more depth in another position (in case of injury).

My surprise is for the Oline...I am actually happy that they chose to keep Butler and Merz over Jerman and Geisinger. I hated Jerman backing us up and Geisinger was also a huge liability. I hear people complaining that now we have hardly any veterans for depth, but you have to keep the best player. Just b'cse Jerman is a veteran doesn't mean he's better than Butler - we've seen what his "veteran" skills can add to the game - NOTHING! Atleast Butler and Merz will continue to get play time and work out with the team and hopefully improve as the season goes. Jerman was not going to improve. What we saw was his best and it was pathetic. Geisinger has had time to improve also and McNally has worked with him for some time. If McNally preferred to keep Merz over Geisinger, I'll support his decision. Geisinger has done nothing to impress me since he started and I was even surprised that he was kept last year.

DiGiorgio was kept - which surprised me also at LB. I would have expected Hunter to make it instead of him. I thought he did terrible in the preseason, but perhaps I just missed some plays he did.

I am disappointed but not shocked by them choosing Davis over Wilson. The only reason was b'cse Davis started stepping it up in ST. Wilson will be a fine receiver however, and I expect Philly, Detroit, or a host of teams to grab him quickly.

All in all, some good decisions made by the FO. Overall, I'm happy with their choices...

Michael82
09-02-2006, 09:36 PM
I guess my original thought was right....I couldn't see them axing all our top special teamers. I'm not surprised at all with Eric King getting cut. He sucked this summer. He's still looking for his jock at St John Fisher. :ill:

The Gates move shocks me a bit, and so does Rashad Baker. I hate keeping a Coy Wire over Baker, but Wire is a special teams DEMON.

Liam Ezekiel and Wendell Hunter surprised me too. I really liked what I saw from both at camp and figured both earned a spot. :(

None of the rest surprise me too much.

Michael82
09-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I hate keeping Shaud Williams. I don't know what the hell the coaches saw in him. :ill:

justasportsfan
09-02-2006, 09:41 PM
With Whitner and Bowens (once he heals) we won't have any need for Baker but Wire will still be important in the ST.

Michael82
09-02-2006, 09:42 PM
With Whitner and Bowens (once he heals) we won't have any need for Baker but Wire will still be important in the ST.
I wanted to keep Baker to be Ko Simpson's backup next year. I liked a lot of what I saw from Baker. I don't like losing him.

justasportsfan
I hate keeping Shaud Williams. I don't know what the hell the coaches saw in him. :ill: He blew during his last game against Detroit trying to return . Gates too had good hands coming from the backfield.

justasportsfan
I wanted to keep Baker to be Ko Simpson's backup next year. I liked a lot of what I saw from Baker. I don't like losing him.
SAme here, but Bowens made him expendable.

chernobylwraiths
09-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I disagree. Gates has done essentially nothing. Mybills, myself and a couple of others ...

I didn't read any further.

:D

billsburgh
09-02-2006, 11:28 PM
:pray:ing for NO injuries on the O-Line this year. we will be really screwed if there are any. except for Villareal. not that I'm wishing him to get hurt but we might be better off without him.

ShadowHawk7
09-02-2006, 11:45 PM
So wait. Is Aiken our #3 WR? It says so on the depth chart. Also, a recent article said that Wire may start over Whitner in the opener.

billsburgh
09-03-2006, 12:24 AM
So wait. Is Aiken our #3 WR? It says so on the depth chart. Also, a recent article said that Wire may start over Whitner in the opener.
there is no way that Wire should start over Whitner in the opener. Wire will be lucky to even see the field as a safety this year. If he does, we are in sad shape.

Kerr
09-03-2006, 01:04 AM

It was announced in TC that whitner would be the starting SS for this defense.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-03-2006, 01:18 AM
....Wire made it to the team b'cse Bowen got hurt. Otherwise he wouldn't have made it. He will not make the team next year and if Bowen makes a full recovery, he can always be waived if we need to get more depth in another position (in case of injury)....

I agree. Wire offers more than Leonard on STs until Bowen is ready to play and the Bills need to have someone behind Whitner at SS to start the season.

I also think that Kiwaukee Thomas made the team because Youboty missed so much time. They don't want to give up on Youboty, but needed another CB. Also, Thomas is bigger than King and other than Clements and Youboty, the Bills have no size at CB. Still, I could see Thomas being cut if Youboty comes on as the season progresses.

My surprise is for the Oline...I am actually happy that they chose to keep Butler and Merz over Jerman and Geisinger. I hated Jerman backing us up and Geisinger was also a huge liability. I hear people complaining that now we have hardly any veterans for depth, but you have to keep the best player. Just b'cse Jerman is a veteran doesn't mean he's better than Butler - we've seen what his "veteran" skills can add to the game - NOTHING! Atleast Butler and Merz will continue to get play time and work out with the team and hopefully improve as the season goes. Jerman was not going to improve. What we saw was his best and it was pathetic. Geisinger has had time to improve also and McNally has worked with him for some time. If McNally preferred to keep Merz over Geisinger, I'll support his decision. Geisinger has done nothing to impress me since he started and I was even surprised that he was kept last year....

I must admit that I was shocked, but pleased by this move. Jerman was horrible regardless of his experience and Geissinger showed nothing, so they might as well make a committment to their rookie O-linemen and see what happens. Although, I would not be surprised to see them pick up someone off of waivers.

When Gandy went down in practice the other day, Chris Brown reported in his blog on BB.com that Peters moved to LT until Gandy returned. That probably means that Butler will be the second o-lineman off the bench behind Preston. So, undoubtedly some will ask, why keep Pennington? Because you can't teach 38" arms and they may be afraid that some team will pick him up if they cut him or put him on the PS. Merz was actually the biggest surprise of all to make the team for me. Still, the signs were there that McNally really liked him, so now we'll see what happens with him.

DiGiorgio was kept - which surprised me also at LB. I would have expected Hunter to make it instead of him. I thought he did terrible in the preseason, but perhaps I just missed some plays he did....

This one baffles me. The only reason I can think of for DiGiorgio to make it over Ezekiel is that they may feel that DiGiorgio has more speed at MLB and offers more on STs.

I am disappointed but not shocked by them choosing Davis over Wilson. The only reason was b'cse Davis started stepping it up in ST. Wilson will be a fine receiver however, and I expect Philly, Detroit, or a host of teams to grab him quickly....

I think that wherever it was a close decision on a player at any given position, the coaching staff chose to keep the player who offered the most on special teams. I think that this was the case with Davis over Wilson and Smith at WR; with Haggan and Stamer over Hunter and Odom at OLB; with Wire over Leonard at safety; with Shaud Williams over Gates at RB; and perhaps also with Thomas over King at CB and DiGiorgio over Ezekiel at MLB. In addition, I think that the fact that Neufeld can play FB and is the back-up long-snapper gave him the edge over Cieslak at TE. While I think that a couple of guys who made the 53 man roster could still be replaced by waiver wire pickups or practice squaders during the course of the season, I believe that the coaching staff decided that with a lot of youth and questions still remaining on both sides of the ball, it would be a big help to both the offense and defense to try to maintain the top-level quality of the STs if the decisions on players at various positions was pretty close. Overall, it is hard to argue with that--especially if you really don't have a lot of depth players who are clearly better than the ones who excel on special teams.

All in all, some good decisions made by the FO. Overall, I'm happy with their choices...

For the most part, I am too.

The problem that the Bills have IMHO is that they lack quality depth in a lot of key areas. That is a problem that most rebuilding teams have and it certainly could come back to hurt them during the course of the season. The practice squad may help a little, but I expect that the Bills will be scouring the waiver wires to see if they can find some players who fit their system that they like to add to the roster for depth. I would be very surprised if the roster that they now have is still the same at the end of this season and perhaps a whole lot sooner. Still, you can see the framework of what they are trying to build as a team, even though they still have a long way to go in the process. This certainly is a very young team...and it's going to be interesting to see how these young players develop.

Historian
09-03-2006, 06:34 AM
the st units better be pwning teams to invest that heavily at the expense of the other units. i hope that works out

I agree wholeheartedly.

To me, you build your team from the defense out.

When you start making personnel decisions based on how a guy contributes on special teams, I think it speaks volumes as to the state of your team.

The Pats and the Steelers have that luxury.

The Bills don't.

mybills
09-03-2006, 07:20 AM
I disagree. Gates has done essentially nothing. Mybills, myself and a couple of others have mentioned it several times. I think people are upset b'cse of the potential that we thought Gates might have. But he had plenty of opportunity these preseason games to shine and he didn't look good even against 2nd and 3rd stringers. I think the right thing was to keep Shaud and I had been saying so all along.

Wire made it to the team b'cse Bowen got hurt. Otherwise he wouldn't have made it. He will not make the team next year and if Bowen makes a full recovery, he can always be waived if we need to get more depth in another position (in case of injury).

My surprise is for the Oline...I am actually happy that they chose to keep Butler and Merz over Jerman and Geisinger. I hated Jerman backing us up and Geisinger was also a huge liability. I hear people complaining that now we have hardly any veterans for depth, but you have to keep the best player. Just b'cse Jerman is a veteran doesn't mean he's better than Butler - we've seen what his "veteran" skills can add to the game - NOTHING! Atleast Butler and Merz will continue to get play time and work out with the team and hopefully improve as the season goes. Jerman was not going to improve. What we saw was his best and it was pathetic. Geisinger has had time to improve also and McNally has worked with him for some time. If McNally preferred to keep Merz over Geisinger, I'll support his decision. Geisinger has done nothing to impress me since he started and I was even surprised that he was kept last year.

DiGiorgio was kept - which surprised me also at LB. I would have expected Hunter to make it instead of him. I thought he did terrible in the preseason, but perhaps I just missed some plays he did.

I am disappointed but not shocked by them choosing Davis over Wilson. The only reason was b'cse Davis started stepping it up in ST. Wilson will be a fine receiver however, and I expect Philly, Detroit, or a host of teams to grab him quickly.

:10:

Billsrock4life
09-03-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm disappointed that King got cut, but not surprised. I liked what I saw from him but with Clements, Youboty and Whitner, he's expendable.

yeah I'm suprised king and gates got cut

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Reserves are kept with a heavy emphasis on ST since that is where they contribute. Out of the players they did cut, who will ever contribute at thei primary position? Wilson and Smith will never be great WR's. I don't like the Wire move either, but I wish Bowen was not hurt.

And they did clear some the 'dead wood' you talked about. Jerman, Geisinger, King, Baker are all by-products of the previous regime.

Historian
09-03-2006, 11:00 AM
And they did clear some the 'dead wood' you talked about. Jerman, Geisinger, King, Baker are all by-products of the previous regime.

That wasn't dead wood.

That was the fungus growing on the dead wood....know what I mean?

TedMock
09-03-2006, 11:37 AM

I'm surprised Wire made the team primarily because we brought in Bowen. Wire is a pretty good special teamer, but Bowen was a very good special teamer with Washington too and he's a much better SS than Wire. I figured with Whitner starting and Bowen being the backup, Wire could be expendable. I'm not shocked we kept Wire, just a little surpised. I think Bowen's injury was actually the deciding factor there.

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
That wasn't dead wood.

That was the fungus growing on the dead wood....know what I mean?

Understood.

But there are 20 new players on the roster this year. That is almost a 40% turnover, which is pretty big.

Now if we could only that kind of turnover/change in the Senate and House, I would be happier.

Meathead
09-03-2006, 12:54 PM
what backup linebacker do you have confidence in?

stamer - good hitter, coverage liability
haggan - see stamer
ellison - bright green
digeorgio - see ellison

YardRat
09-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Some of the dead wood was jettisoned long ago...Williams, Posey...

LifetimeBillsFan
09-04-2006, 04:19 AM
what backup linebacker do you have confidence in?

stamer - good hitter, coverage liability
haggan - see stamer
ellison - bright green
digeorgio - see ellison

Ellison.

Yes, he's still very green, but he was around the ball a lot in preseason, despite missing all of the OTAs, and seemed to show that the comparison to Indy's G.Brackett prior to the draft might well be apt. I can see him being the next Angelo Crowell--a backup who will develop into a quality starter in this defense. Despite his inexperience, I would not be surprised to see him quickly become the first LB off of the bench--by mid-season if not sooner.