PDA

View Full Version : Aud to be torn down!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Memorial Auditorium will be torn down and a new Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World store will be built in its place, under the latest plan to lure the retailer to Buffalo's inner harbor.
The Buffalo News has learned a cost-benefit analysis of retrofitting the idle sports arena into a retail-hotel-museum complex has concluded it makes better economic sense to tear down the Aud and build from scratch.

"This is a major breakthrough that will allow a contract to be signed in a matter of weeks, if not days," said a source involved in the two-year-long effort to get Bass Pro to make a binding commitment to Buffalo.

"They were always out of their element with a retrofit. They build new stores all the time, so this puts them back in their comfort zone," he said.

The source, who requested anonymity, said physical factors, including serious mold and asbestos problems in the mothballed arena, would put renovation costs "tens of millions of dollars" above the price of building a new facility. No cost projections for the new plan were available.
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060903/1073970.asp

Now this is something we should petitioning, not some stupid logo!!! :mad:

FAREWELL OLD FRIEND~SEYMOUR KNOX III

http://classicbuffalo.com/images/TheAudFinal.jpg
1940-2006
HOME OF THE SABRES 1970-1996

SkateZilla
09-03-2006, 05:19 PM
RIP Aud.....
:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:
:respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect: :respect:

JD
09-03-2006, 10:07 PM
:sadwalk:

LtBillsFan66
09-03-2006, 10:11 PM
Out with the old, in with the new. This is how cities rebuild.

Bill Brasky
09-03-2006, 10:22 PM
it will be sad to see her go!

hammerbillsfan
09-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Another barn down. :(

RIP The Aud

Add it to the list (MLG, The Forum, Boston Garden, Chicago Stadium).

~CHIEF~
09-03-2006, 11:34 PM
It didn't bother me if they would have left the aud and put in the bass shop, but to tear it down for a fish shop.........**** THAT!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-04-2006, 12:19 AM
I blame the City of Buffalo, they board up these buildings and let them go to rot away or they demolish them. We have grain elevators from the 1800's & 1900's just sitting on the waterfront rusting away. The Lehigh Valley RR station that was built in 1940's out of solid marble...gone replaced by the Buffalo News building, the DL&W RR Terminal...gone demolished when they built the skyway only thing that remains is the trainshed that is owned by the NFTA MetroRail and now the Aud.

jamze132
09-04-2006, 12:40 AM
The Aud gave it a good run. But if the Bills are going to stay in Buffalo, we kind of need a better economy, and if tearing down the building where I saw my first hockey game over 20 years ago, helps keep the Bills, then by all means, go ahead and blow it up.

JD
09-04-2006, 01:33 AM
I wonder if we will ever put a Bills stadium in downtown Buffalo? That would get our economy booming!

SkateZilla
09-04-2006, 09:34 AM
The City Hoenstly Thinks a Bass Pro Shop is an Improvement.. ha :honda:

HHURRICANE
09-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Guys. Something is better than nothing.

If the corrupt gov't run by Pitts had ok'd the Aldephia building you would have had the tallest building built since the 70's. The stupid bridge to Canada isn't built either.

I run a successful business here in Atlanta. We pay great and I would love to move it to Buffalo but there is no way in hell it's going to happen because the city and NY state is such a mess. I have friends and family there and would love to come home. But I'm not taking a pay cut to do it. This is why the south has grown so much, by incentivising business to come down here!!

Tear down the Aud, it's a start.

Bill Brasky
09-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Guys. Something is better than nothing.

If the corrupt gov't run by Pitts had ok'd the Aldephia building you would have had the tallest building built since the 70's. The stupid bridge to Canada isn't built either.

I run a successful business here in Atlanta. We pay great and I would love to move it to Buffalo but there is no way in hell it's going to happen because the city and NY state is such a mess. I have friends and family there and would love to come home. But I'm not taking a pay cut to do it. This is why the south has grown so much, by incentivising business to come down here!!

Tear down the Aud, it's a start.

What is your business?

That sucks you can't move back, but NY is anti-business as you pointed out.

SABURZFAN
09-04-2006, 01:36 PM
lots of hockey and wrestling match memories in that place.hate to see her go.

kgun12
09-04-2006, 11:47 PM
:sadwalk:

I agree :sadwalk: I loved watching hockey there, it was almost like you were on the ice! We had season tickets for 6 years. 4 rows up at center ice in the orange seat, right behind Ted Darling and Rick Azar.

Historian
09-05-2006, 03:30 AM
I just want to know when the seats go up for sale.

I want a pair of Reds.

kgun12
09-05-2006, 04:05 AM

I want a pair of Reds.

I would love something from there! If you see or hear anything about an auction PLEASE PM me!

chernobylwraiths
09-05-2006, 06:09 AM
As much as I like nostalga, razing the Aud is a good idea. If a new Bass Pro was built inside the old Aud, it would look nothing like what everyone remembered. Only the outside would remain and I think everyone knows that the outside was nothing special. This is a great idea for the city if they can lure a Bass Pro here. It would remove a rat infested building that does nothing to help the area and be a huge beginning for the revitalization of downtown.

As Thurm has said, "Buffalo is on the way back!" Now if they can get rid of most of those grain mills and build up the waterfront by the Pier (maybe even tearing that down too) it would be a great start!

blackonyx89
09-05-2006, 06:36 AM
That store better be profitable. If not,I'll give it 6 years. Reason......not everyone's into fishing.

Earthquake Enyart
09-05-2006, 07:04 AM

I want a pair of Reds.
If you hear anything, let me know too.

THATHURMANATOR
09-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Who cares. The Aud is an old ****hole. This is part of the problem with this City no one is willing to let go!

THATHURMANATOR
09-05-2006, 09:19 AM
The City Hoenstly Thinks a Bass Pro Shop is an Improvement.. ha :honda:
Yeah how could one of the most profitable stores in the nation be an improvement over a decrepid, aebestous filled craphole??

Come on man.

HHURRICANE
09-05-2006, 09:50 AM
What is your business?

That sucks you can't move back, but NY is anti-business as you pointed out.

Plastics Raw Material. www.enpol.com (http://www.enpol.com)