PDA

View Full Version : Pats claims Freddy Smith

ghz in pittsburgh
09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
http://fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=xrk9376jpw5276w&Title=Pats%20claim%20WR%20Smith%20off%20waivers,%20release%20WR%20childress

And my next claim is that he will return punts against the Bills next week.

The Bills punt coverage guys better get their super glue on their gloves because while Fast Freddy really is not that fast, but he's very slippery and he knows our coverage scheme.

Night Train
09-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Quick ! Claim Bam Childress.

We'll show them !

Jan Reimers
09-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Good. We grabbed Lawyer Milloy - a much better player - a few years ago. That really turned the tables, didn't it?

The_Philster
09-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Good. We grabbed Lawyer Milloy - a much better player - a few years ago. That really turned the tables, didn't it?
31-0 the first time we played them with him on the roster...but I don't see Fast Freddie having that kind of impact

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM
besides we signed Andre Davis away from them in FA so it evens out that's the way I look at it.

Jan Reimers
09-03-2006, 06:25 PM
31-0 the first time we played them with him on the roster...but I don't see Fast Freddie having that kind of impact
Oh, I remember! But I think that the rest of the season, and the next, showed they had a lot more talent, despite our "stealing" Milloy.

justasportsfan
09-03-2006, 06:37 PM
A qb like Brady could make a wr like Smith look better than any of our qb could . He doesn't need a so called go to guy. If youre open whether you're a rookie or vet, he'll you that ball.

Drive 4 Five
09-03-2006, 06:38 PM
http://fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=xrk9376jpw5276w&Title=Pats%20claim%20WR%20Smith%20off%20waivers,%20release%20WR%20childress

The Bills punt coverage guys better get their super glue on their gloves because while Fast Freddy really is not that fast, but he's very slippery and he knows our coverage scheme.

:rolleyes:

Bummer...

Mitchy moo
09-03-2006, 06:57 PM
They signed him out of fear of us.

Ickybaluky
09-03-2006, 07:25 PM
A qb like Brady could make a wr like Smith look better than any of our qb could . He doesn't need a so called go to guy. If youre open whether you're a rookie or vet, he'll you that ball.

I doubt he plays much WR, at least initially. He does fit the profile of their WR, though. The Patriots system favors smaller WR who change direction quickly more than guys with flat out speed. Guys like Deion Branch, David Patten, Troy Brown, etc. Smith fits that profile, but he will have to learn a Pats offense that relies heavily on option routes and requires the WR to make a proper read of the coverage he is facing. Smith probably will take some time to adjust.

The reason they signed Smith was ST, however. The Pats kick return game is strong with Maroney and Andrews, but they haven't been as happy with punt returns. Andrews worked there but, while he has quick return moves, I don't think they trust his decision-making (when to call fair-catch, etc.). They have been using Kevin Faulk, but Smith represents an upgrade.

To make room for Smith the Pats had to release Bam Childress, which is too bad. Childress had a strong preseason and has been on their PS for a couple years. He is one of those try-hard players you root for as a fan. Unfortunately he is probably limited to being a reserve WR talent-wise, and while he showed promise as a receiver his ST skills don't measure up as highly.

justasportsfan
09-03-2006, 07:32 PM
I doubt he plays much WR, at least initially. He does fit the profile of their WR, though. The Patriots system favors smaller WR who change direction quickly more than guys with flat out speed. Guys like Deion Branch, David Patten, Troy Brown, etc. Smith fits that profile, but he will have to learn a Pats offense that relies heavily on option routes and requires the WR to make a proper read of the coverage he is facing. Smith probably will take some time to adjust.

The reason they signed Smith was ST, however. The Pats kick return game is strong with Maroney and Andrews, but they haven't been as happy with punt returns. Andrews worked there but, while he has quick return moves, I don't think they trust his decision-making (when to call fair-catch, etc.). They have been using Kevin Faulk, but Smith represents an upgrade.

To make room for Smith the Pats had to release Bam Childress, which is too bad. Childress had a strong preseason and has been on their PS for a couple years. He is one of those try-hard players you root for as a fan. Unfortunately he is probably limited to being a reserve WR talent-wise, and while he showed promise as a receiver his ST skills don't measure up as highly.

Kinda like getting rid of Baker to make room for Wire on ST?

Ickybaluky
09-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Kinda like getting rid of Baker to make room for Wire on ST?

I think NFL teams pay much more attention to the importance of ST than fans do. If a player is not starting in the NFL, he better have tremendous potential to get better or he isn't going to make a team without a significant impact as a ST'er.

The funny part is a lot of Pats fans are up-n-arms about Childress being released, because he was a fan favorite and the WR depth chart looks thin. However, the bottom line is Childress was probably not even going to be active on game day, because he wasn't going to start and his ST contribution wasn't enough. Smith will actually dress and return punts, and has a chance to help the team in that area.

YardRat
09-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Good signing by NE, IMO. He'll be decent on returns, and may catch a few balls at wide-out.

Not surprising...we all guessed that the Bills were going to have to cut someone at wide-out that would get picked up by another team.

G. Host
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Patriots probably signed him because they play the Bills in opener and he is not a vested veteran so they are not obliigated to pay his entire salary if they cut him after the opener. They probably do not need inside info but it does not hurt.

Goobylal
09-03-2006, 09:27 PM
He'll help them on punt returns, but he's not much of a WR. And Brady, despite claims otherwise, CANNOT make WR's better than they are. The Pats haven't had a non-drafted (by them) WR since Patten in 2001 do anything for them, not even Brady's old college WR and former high pick David Terrell.

And as for KO returns NE39, I wouldn't exactly call Andrews and Maroney good kick returners just yet. Andrews averaged 22.8 yards per KO return on 5 returns, which would have put him at 20th in the NFL last year. And Maroney had 1 KO return for 36 yards, which is hardly statistically significant (not that 5 returns for Andrews is either). And I don't think they want to expose Maroney to injury, seeing as he's the future at RB, if not the present.

BTW, has Maroney returned to practice yet?

mysticsoto
09-03-2006, 09:36 PM

Please. The last thing we need to do is be worried about Fast Freddie. He never got much yardage on punt returns and one good strong hit makes him cough up the ball. It's no big loss for us and only a minimal gain for the Pats b'cse they are desperate at the position...

Goobylal
09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Actually Smith had a great punt return average in 2004 (17.4), but that included 2-50+ yard returns thanks in large part to the Bills' great ST's. Last year he averaged a bad 6.8 yards per return. And the Pats' ST's aren't as good as the Bills' are.

billsburgh
09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
and that was the same score the last game of the season too, only the Bills were on the wrong end of it.

Ickybaluky
09-03-2006, 11:32 PM
And as for KO returns NE39, I wouldn't exactly call Andrews and Maroney good kick returners just yet. Andrews averaged 22.8 yards per KO return on 5 returns, which would have put him at 20th in the NFL last year.

Andrews and Maroney both showed the talent. The Pats coaching staff reportedly really likes Andrews, who they have working on ST, at S and at WR. He is a very good athlete and really versatile.

I think the only hesitancy is they feel the #1 job of a punt returner is to field the ball cleanly. Andrews tries to return every punt, instead of sometimes taking the wise course of calling a fair catch. I think he was a little too aggressive for them, and they want somebody sure-handed back there.

And Maroney had 1 KO return for 36 yards, which is hardly statistically significant (not that 5 returns for Andrews is either). And I don't think they want to expose Maroney to injury, seeing as he's the future at RB, if not the present.

The Pats do not distinguish between any down, so 4th down is as important as 1st. They play many regulars on ST, including mainstays like Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi. They don't worry about guys getting injured on ST, despite getting criticized for it occasionally in the press.

Maroney will play some ST as long as he looks to be the best doing it. He is only a rookie, but he looks like he will be a real good player.

BTW, has Maroney returned to practice yet?

No he hasn't. Nobody has, as they haven't had a practice yet this week.

~CHIEF~
09-03-2006, 11:36 PM
1. "Fast Freddie" isn't fast!
2. We have 3 Great Returners!
3. What did he ever do?

Mitchy moo
09-03-2006, 11:40 PM
1. "Fast Freddie" isn't fast!
2. We have 3 Great Returners!
3. What did he ever do?

Hopefully cough upa ball or two to us, Double spy stuff.

Goobylal
09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
NE: The Pats haven't practiced since before the Redskins game?

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 09:16 AM
NE: The Pats haven't practiced since before the Redskins game?

I'm sure they have had meetings and players have come in to practice and review tape, but nothing that he media would cover or report on (they are allowed in for the first 10 minutes of practice, which usually is when guys stretch).

The first official practice of the week is on Wednesday during the season.

EDIT: With this being the first week and the 10 days between games, the Pats will practice today (Monday). We may hear something on Maroney at that point, although the first injury report is not due out until Wednesday.

Mr. Miyagi
09-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Guys - The Patriots didn't sign Fast Freddie for his skills.

They signed him for our playbook.

@#@$ Bellichick :curse:

HHURRICANE
09-04-2006, 10:09 AM
Guys - The Patriots didn't sign Fast Freddie for his skills.

They signed him for our playbook.

@#@$ Bellichick :curse:

Yep.

Jan Reimers
09-04-2006, 10:11 AM
More Belichick mind games. I hope the Bills are not as distracted by Smith's signing as we are.

Captain gameboy
09-04-2006, 10:12 AM
The Bills will not have to punt on Sunday.

Goobylal
09-04-2006, 10:21 AM
I doubt Smith remembers the playbook from memory. And if he's seen talking with the defensive coaches on the sidelines while the Bills are on offense, AND he returns punts, he'll be dead.

NE: Word is Maroney is out for the Bills game with a knee injury. That was from ESPN radio.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 11:03 AM
ESPN is reporting Maroney is out for week 1. That hasn't been confirmed locally and Belichick didn't mention anything in his press conference today. I'm not sure of the source of the report.

I doubt the Pats picked up Smith just because he knows something about Buffalo, I think that stuff is way overblown. It is true that there is uncertainty with this game because Buffalo has a new coach and coordinators, but I doubt anything Smith tells them will make a huge difference.

I honestly think Smith was claimed because they wanted to see him on punt returns, an area they aren't completely happy with.

Goobylal
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM
I'm not surprised Belichick didn't talk about Maroney. He NEVER divulges information about injuries. Probably an inside leak job. But it goes along with everything I've been saying.

As for Smith, yeah I agree he'll primarily be a punt returner and fill the last WR spot. I can't see him doing or revealing much given his short time with the Pats before the Bills game.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Here is the only local report (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/) on Maroney to date:

<b>Rookie running back Laurence Maroney walked through the locker room at a brisk pace and smiled as reporters approached him. He declined interview requests.</b>

That was from media access in the lockerroom right after Belichick's press conference.

It wouldn't surprise me if they were cautious with him because he is a rookie, but from seeing him on the sidelines after he reportedly was banged up against Washington, he looked fine.

BTW, that link is Mike Reiss' excellent blog on boston.com. The guy does a great job, and if you want to be updated on what is going on with the Pats this week, check it out.

Also, practice on Monday starts at 12:45 PM, so there should be an update on who is dressed for practice on the blog.

The Boston Herald blog (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/) is pretty good as well. They had this to say:

<b>ESPN is reporting that rookie RB Laurence Maroney will miss this Sunday’s opener against Buffalo with a knee injury. The severity of the injury is still not known and Maroney was seen walking without a limp through the locker room today.</b>

~CHIEF~
09-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Hell Yeah!

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 12:25 PM
According to the Globe's blog (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/), Maroney practiced in full pads today.

Sounds like ESPN is full of crap.

He still could miss the game, as he was wearing a brace on his left knee. However, the fact he is practicing gives him a shot to play. At the very least, he hasn't been ruled out.

LB Tedy Bruschi, DE Ty Warren and WR Chad Jackson didn't practice.

Yasgur's Farm
09-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Smith had 2 drops today in practice... KFFL. (http://www.kffl.com/player/9367/nfl)

Goobylal
09-04-2006, 05:56 PM
NE: Yeah I saw that. Friggin' ESPN with their sham breaking news. But as I said, he was injured, and while he probably won't miss the game, will be limited somewhat.

It sounds though like Warren and Bruschi will miss the game. Jackson must have a torn hammy or something.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 06:04 PM
NE: Yeah I saw that. Friggin' ESPN with their sham breaking news. But as I said, he was injured, and while he probably won't miss the game, will be limited somewhat.

He may be effected or even still miss the game, but the chance of his playing can't be categorically dismissed if he practices in full pads with no contact restrictions the Monday before the game.

It sounds though like Warren and Bruschi will miss the game. Jackson must have a torn hammy or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bruschi misses this game. In fact, he may miss the first few.

I'd bet Warren plays. He is a tough kid and isn't supposed to be seriously hurt. I think he is one to monitor to see if he returns to practice later this week, because if he does I'd bet he plays.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Jackson. He first injured the hammy in offseason workouts and then aggravated it early in camp. His agent claims it isn't torn or anything and he will be back soon. He has been running routes on the side and rehabbing, but hasn't actually practiced.

Either way, I'm not looking for much of an impact from Jackson anytime soon. He is already way behind, and there is talk he may have some maturity issues. He was very much hyped in minicamp because he looked good in front of the reporters, but I'm not counting on anything from him until I see him in a game.

Goobylal
09-04-2006, 06:17 PM
NE: WRT Maroney, again I said initially that he was injured based on what I'd heard. I didn't think he'd miss the first game...until the ESPN report came out. But apparently at least initially, the reporters were able to sniff-out that he WAS in-fact injured, hence the reason he missed practice and the pre-season game. If reports of him limping are true, it means he won't be 100%.

As for Warren, I don't know. From what I've heard, he's never missed even a practice before. I guess we'll know if he practices later in the week, but I'd think he'd have to have SOME PT in before the game. Bruschi I thought would have grown a new wrist by now.:lol:

And I've never been a fan of Florida WR's. I thought Jackson would be a bust by playing, not by NOT playing.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 08:31 PM
As for Warren, I don't know. From what I've heard, he's never missed even a practice before. I guess we'll know if he practices later in the week, but I'd think he'd have to have SOME PT in before the game. Bruschi I thought would have grown a new wrist by now.:lol:

Warren hurt his hip and played hurt through the entire second half of last season, missing practice time. He toughed it out and played well. He is a very underrated player, who has improved each year in the NFL. He is overshadowed by Seymour, but can be dominant himself at times.

And I've never been a fan of Florida WR's. I thought Jackson would be a bust by playing, not by NOT playing.

I'm not ready to term him a bust yet, although he is not off to a glorious start. I just hope he isn't a knucklehead.

patmoran2006
09-04-2006, 08:38 PM
hahahahhaha

Captain gameboy
09-04-2006, 08:50 PM
hahahahhaha

Just wath the jumbotron brotha.

Brian Moorman isn't even on the pax list.
Carrying liquids or some such nonsense.....But we all know.