PDA

View Full Version : Miami claims Suggs

!Papacrunk!
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Just some rival INFO for you guys:

Miami claimed Lee Suggs as well as Saints G Kendyl Jacox from the Saints, and TE Tim Massaquoi off waivers from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Miami also placed rookie G Joe Toledo on IR, and also signed the following to the practice squad: Wide receivers Marcus Vick and Fred Gibson, running backs Kay-Jay Harris and Gerald Riggs Jr., linebacker Matt Sinclair, tight end Keith Heinrich, tackle Orrin Thomspon and cornerback Shirdonya Mitchell.

Goobylal
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Suggs sucks. I don't get the hype on this guy. He had one decent season with 736 yards and a 3.7 average.

As for Jacox, he'll probably be starting for you guys at RG once he gets the playbook down.

patmoran2006
09-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Suggs aint much.. but either was Sammy Morris.

as long as Ronnie Brown dont get hurt, this is a so what move.

Goobylal
09-03-2006, 09:30 PM
The Dolphins better PRAY Ronnie stays healthy. Because he's the only man now. The other backup is Travis Minor, who got fewer touches than Morris these past 2 years, if that's any indication of things.

YardRat
09-03-2006, 09:32 PM
They needed somebody to fill the void left by Morris' suspension.

How the hell did Suggs fail the Jets physical?

patmoran2006
09-03-2006, 09:34 PM
They needed somebody to fill the void left by Morris' suspension.

How the hell did Suggs fail the Jets physical?

He failed the NEw York Jets "We're doing everything we can to land Brady QUinn next year" physical..

Get it?

!Papacrunk!
09-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Suggs, is "just a guy." No superstar.

Goob, before you changed your post, you made mention of Ronnie's injury problems. Are peeps comfortable with A-Train if Willis gets hurt, since Willis is a guy who has had injury problems in the past? You do have Shaud I guess.

Obviously when a star RB goes down a team may suffer. It's not all that complex of a statement or situation. When adversity happens you deal with it, no matter who is on the roster.

Samphin1
09-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Suggs is nothing more than a four week player I would imagine. If he impresses, he maybe stays on the team at the expense of Minor. However, Minor contributes greatly to special teams so who knows.

Suggs's job is to spell Ronnie for about 5-7 carries a game until Sammy comes back. They needed someone and Suggs is a someone.

I like the Jacox move. I didn't realize he was available to be honest. He gives us MUCH needed depth at both C and G positions. Toledo was playing well as a rookie but alas, his knee injury needed more time than we had to wait on.

I am ambivilant about the tight end move. Saban cut/released/waived the third string TE so many times last year that I have become numb to those moves. I have a feeling Rader will be back with us before it is all over with.

jmb1099
09-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Suggs is not a bad pick up...will fill a much needed void for the time being.

And yes if willis goes down I am comfortable with A-train.

Goobylal
09-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Suggs, is "just a guy." No superstar.

Goob, before you changed your post, you made mention of Ronnie's injury problems. Are peeps comfortable with A-Train if Willis gets hurt, since Willis is a guy who has had injury problems in the past? You do have Shaud I guess.
I changed my post because I believe I erred when talking about Brown's problems with injuries in college. If he DID have a history of injuries in college, then the Dols not having much in the way of backup RB's is a big problem. Even as it is, Brown will have to take the majority of snaps without much rest, which is a setup for injury. That's the difference I see between the 2 situations, since Thomas is a better RB than what the Dols currently have.

mysticsoto
09-04-2006, 06:50 AM
I thought there were many more RBs out there that the fins might prefer - even over Travis Minor too, but if they are happy with Suggs, so be it. If I'm them, I would have took Davenport and also taken a good look at Gates...

!Papacrunk!
09-04-2006, 07:44 AM
I thought there were many more RBs out there that the fins might prefer - even over Travis Minor too, but if they are happy with Suggs, so be it. If I'm them, I would have took Davenport and also taken a good look at Gates...
I was wondering if they were going to go the Davenport route, but it seems like Suggs, Davenport has had some bouts w/ he injury bug. I guess they had to see which history wasn't as bad, but I would imagine other factors were involved as well.

clumping platelets
09-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Suggs >>>> S. Williams

!Papacrunk!
09-04-2006, 07:51 AM
I changed my post because I believe I erred when talking about Brown's problems with injuries in college. If he DID have a history of injuries in college, then the Dols not having much in the way of backup RB's is a big problem. Even as it is, Brown will have to take the majority of snaps without much rest, which is a setup for injury. That's the difference I see between the 2 situations, since Thomas is a better RB than what the Dols currently have. When I doublechecked I think he had hurt his hammy, but what football player doesn't go through that type of thing at some point? If Suggs, who is just a guy, is the insurance policy, it will be for at least the 1st 4 games until Morris comes back. After the 4 games, having Morris and Suggs as depth wouldn't be too shabby IMO, behind Brown. IMO, I'm sorry to see Sammy not contributing to ST more than anything.

mysticsoto
09-04-2006, 10:17 PM
I was wondering if they were going to go the Davenport route, but it seems like Suggs, Davenport has had some bouts w/ he injury bug. I guess they had to see which history wasn't as bad, but I would imagine other factors were involved as well.

Perhaps, but that's not why Davenport was let go from GB. He was let go b'cse his style didn't fare well with the new zone blocking scheme they are trying to implement. Davenport is pretty tough which is what I would think Miami would want in backing up Brown. It is also why I thought Gates might have been a good fit for them. Too late, Gates signed with TB. I am glad that Fred Jackson made it into a PS. He could steal Shaud's place next year.

I think alot of people in our PS have great potential - I'm really happy at who's made it in. I expect atleast 2-3 of those in the PS to probably make it into the team next year...

!Papacrunk!
09-05-2006, 06:56 AM
I guess even after getting Suggs off of waivers, they still had Antwoin Smith in for a try out.

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 07:16 AM
He'll be good relief for Brown, but nothing more. I'd keep tabs on him night and day. Miami is not a great town for a kid that has a hard time staying out of trouble.

HHURRICANE
09-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Just some rival INFO for you guys:

Miami claimed Lee Suggs as well as Saints G Kendyl Jacox from the Saints, and TE Tim Massaquoi off waivers from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Miami also placed rookie G Joe Toledo on IR, and also signed the following to the practice squad: Wide receivers Marcus Vick and Fred Gibson, running backs Kay-Jay Harris and Gerald Riggs Jr., linebacker Matt Sinclair, tight end Keith Heinrich, tackle Orrin Thomspon and cornerback Shirdonya Mitchell.

Thanks for the post. Suggs failed his physical on the trade with the Jets. Most don't think a back-up RB is a big deal but during one game a guy is going to sit down a series for a rest, ding, etc. I wasn't sold on Miami's running game to begin with so I got to believe this further complicates things.
I would take Smith over Suggs.

Mr. Pink
09-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Suggs had problems staying out of trouble? Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Suggs is an extremely talented running back with no character problems. He was easily a better running back than Jason Wright who the Browns kept as the 3rd RB. Problem is this guy even back to college days could never stay healthy.

Go back to the year where Willis destroyed his knee, Suggs also got hurt that same year. Prior to either injury they were the top 2 talent backs in the NCAA. And he had just as much hype too. Difference is Willis has been able to stay healthy at the NFL level.

If Suggs stays healthy, highly unlikely, it's an awesome pickup for the Phins. The reason they still brought in Antowain afterwords is the fact that Suggs never has shown his body can hold up for a full season.

!Papacrunk!
09-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Suggs had problems staying out of trouble? Where do you people come up with this stuff?

Suggs is an extremely talented running back with no character problems. He was easily a better running back than Jason Wright who the Browns kept as the 3rd RB. Problem is this guy even back to college days could never stay healthy.

Go back to the year where Willis destroyed his knee, Suggs also got hurt that same year. Prior to either injury they were the top 2 talent backs in the NCAA. And he had just as much hype too. Difference is Willis has been able to stay healthy at the NFL level.

If Suggs stays healthy, highly unlikely, it's an awesome pickup for the Phins. The reason they still brought in Antowain afterwords is the fact that Suggs never has shown his body can hold up for a full season.

Great feedback! I've been going around a couple of Browns' boards (don't signup, just view some things,) and that seems like the same thing I see echoed (sp)--a quality back as far as talent and ability, just has those injury problems. Thanks for your two cents.

Also, if I named myself after a cartoon character, I'd make a new thread about this, but since it isn't necessary, I'll just add it to this thread. I guess Saban had recruited him back at Michigan State, but Miami may bring in Charles Rogers in for a visit. There'd be a lot of IFs on that one--if he can stay healthy, if he can stay out of trouble, and if he will come cheap, then it could be a low risk/decent payoff. I'm already quite happy with our current WR corp, but if the above was to happen, life's too short not to take chances and what not.

Dolphins | Team to meet with Rogers?
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 04:41:37 -0700
Brad Biggs (http://www.kffl.com/link/148), of the Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.kffl.com/link/149), reports the Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) apparently have a visit planned with free agent WR Charles Rogers (http://www.kffl.com/player/5911/nfl) (Lions). His agent, Kevin Poston, declined to talk specifically about his client's options. Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) head coach Nick Saban (http://www.kffl.com/player/9162/nfl) recruited him to Michigan State.

Dolphins | Saban comments on C. Rogers
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 06:29:28 -0700
Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports Miami Dolphins (http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl) head coach Nick Saban (http://www.kffl.com/player/9162/nfl) would not dismiss speculation that the team would work out free agent WR Charles Rogers (http://www.kffl.com/player/5911/nfl) (Lions). ''I know he worked very, very hard to get back from his first collarbone or shoulder injury, then [injured the collarbone] again,'' Saban said. "Things just haven't worked out for him there. . . . He has a lot of ability.''