PDA

View Full Version : Bills Add Leak to Practice Squad

G. Host
09-04-2006, 12:15 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4097
Last week he was an administrative assistant for University of Florida football under head coach Urban Meyer. Today C.J. Leak is the latest addition to the practice squad of the Buffalo Bills.

They need another TE with more updside than Ryan Neufeld.

Night Train
09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
So in reading his bio, he once played LB in high school, then switched to QB. He then played Safety at Tennessee and has never played TE.

An experiment but hardly a guy who will replace Neufeld, who can block and fill in as a backup blocking FB/H-Back.

Meathead
09-04-2006, 12:39 PM
so why wasnt he in camp?

gotta be an untold story here

pintonick96
09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
He was Tennesee's QB for like a day then moved to backup tight end for them when Ainge came in. His only notable stat is being Chris Leak's older brother.

Jan Reimers
09-04-2006, 02:44 PM
It's hard to believe that he's the best PS-eligible player out there. Aren't there some guys who actually started for their college team?

Jan Reimers
09-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to takin' a Leak.

Night Train
09-04-2006, 04:11 PM
It's hard to believe that he's the best PS-eligible player out there. Aren't there some guys who actually started for their college team?

The Antonio Gates experiment. A basketball player or great athlete with size.

" Steve Austin .. We will build him, make him better than he was ! "

Yet he'll probably play like Denise Austin...

North_Coast
09-04-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4097
Last week he was an administrative assistant for University of Florida football under head coach Urban Meyer. Today C.J. Leak is the latest addition to the practice squad of the Buffalo Bills.

They need another TE with more updside than Ryan Neufeld.

One reason that Neufeld sticks is because I think he also can be a long snapper.

G. Host
09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
More on CBS Sportsline.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9638304

John Doe
09-04-2006, 05:35 PM
so why wasnt he in camp?

gotta be an untold story here

Players are not always kept on the practice squad because of their prospects of becoming good NFL players.

I think this signing is all about being able to give a "good look" at a number of positions when imitating the opposing team in practice.

ShadowHawk7
09-04-2006, 09:30 PM
WTf is this? Can't we sign some decent players out there right now? It's not like we couldn't use some more talent.

Kerr
09-04-2006, 10:00 PM
If jp doesn't pan out, i'd I would like for the bills to draft his brother since drafting quinn would be difficult.

tampabay25690
09-04-2006, 11:18 PM
He was Tennesee's QB for like a day then moved to backup tight end for them when Ainge came in. His only notable stat is being Chris Leak's older brother.

If I remeber correctly being a GAOTOR fan..Leak was the starter at Tenn but got injured and lost his spot......

And Yes he is Chris Leaks older brother

tampabay25690
09-04-2006, 11:19 PM
If jp doesn't pan out, i'd I would like for the bills to draft his brother since drafting quinn would be difficult.

To be honest I dont want Quinn anyway..............System QB at best, and I think NOTRE DAME is the Most overrated team in the nation and it will show soon....

LifetimeBillsFan
09-05-2006, 12:46 AM
My first reaction to this signing was: WTF?

Then, it dawned on me that the Bills are playing NE this week, a team with two very athletic TEs in Watson and Graham and then Miami with McMichael. The PS and subs are the ones who play the role of the opposition on the scout team and there's no way that anyone is going to mistake Cieslak and Neufeld for Watson, Graham or McMichael. Since teams don't want use their starters or key players (in this case, Royal and Everett) on the scout team so that they don't get hurt, the Bills may have brought in Leak, an athlete trying to play TE, to mimick those athletic TEs that they are going to face. If Leak looks good doing that and shows some potential, what the heck, they might keep him, but, if not, at least he will have helped them to prepare for the TEs that they are going to have to face in their first couple of games.

It's not like having a guy on your practice squad guarantees that you are going to be able to keep him--last year the Bills had three players signed off of their practice squad by other teams during the course of the season--or that you can't go take a player that you like off of someone else's practice squad if you lose a player to injury during the season and need to replace him on your active roster. It just means that you can keep some players that you like working in your system and, hopefully, develop them into players for your team if some other team doesn't "steal" them first.

G. Host
09-05-2006, 07:27 PM
And the fact that he was an assistant to a college team does not hurt - it helps him pick up game plans quicker. He can also do the QB for some opponents.

TigerJ
09-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't mind a Leak on the practice squad, but if we have a leak in the defense, then there are problems.