PDA

View Full Version : Bills catching a break against Pats

HAMMER
09-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Maybe we are catching the Pats at the right time. Maroney will not play Sunday and I have to say I am relieved. I do like to beat teams at full strength but this week I make an exception. A win in NE will do wonders for the Bills psyche. What I have seen of Maroney leads me to believe he will be a big handful for years to come.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/injuries?teamId=17

Kenny
09-04-2006, 01:02 PM
dont forget though... isnt 'God' supposed to be making another 'comeback' against us? =)

OpIv37
09-04-2006, 01:55 PM
dont forget though... isnt 'God' supposed to be making another 'comeback' against us? =)

ESPN is already revising their scorecards in anticipation. New stat categories include "hits", "steps while on the field" and "Times he helps another player get up after the play"

Bufftp
09-04-2006, 01:58 PM
ESPN is already revising their scorecards in anticipation. New stat categories include "hits", "steps while on the field" and "Times he helps another player get up after the play"
:roflmao:

Mitchy moo
09-04-2006, 02:03 PM
:clap:

goodone.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Maroney practiced today in full pads, although he did wear a knee brace on his left knee. I'm not sure of ESPN's source, but I find it hard to believe Maroney has already been ruled out of the opener already. The injury report is due out Wednesday.

LB Tedy Bruschi, DE Ty Warren, OT Nick Kaczur and WR Chad Jackson were not at practice today nursing various injuries. Rookie TE Dave Thomas wore a red, non-contact jersey. Their situations should be monitored throughout the week.

Warren & Bruschi probably have a shot at playing, but could miss the game. Traditionally, veterans like them nursing injuries can miss practice during the week and still play. Players who miss during the week usually have to make it through practice on Friday to play. That is worth monitoring as both are starters. If Bruschi misses, Junior Seau and Mike Vrabel will start at ILB, but Tully Banta Cain and Rosevelt Colvin will start at OLB. If Warren misses, Jarvis Green will start in his place, and Mike Wright will see more time as well.

Kaczur is still recovering from a shoulder injury he suffered in the Jacksonville playoff game last year. He missed most of camp before returning to practice a couple weeks ago, and the team is easing him back into a full workload. Rookie OT Ryan O'Callaghan has started at RT throughout camp, and will probably be there for the opener. If Kaczur is dressed, he will likely be the 3rd OT.

Chad Jackson has been out since the first few practices of training camp with a hamstring injury. He is probably close to returning, but even if he does the rookie is so far behind he isn't likely to dress. I guess you never know, but I'd be surprised at this point if he plays.

Thomas missed the last couple games with an injury. He returned to practice last week and is probably questionable to play. He has looked strong in camp and if he plays he will be the 3rd TE/H-back. The Pats 3rd TE plays more than most (he basically will replace Christian Fauria's role).

Mitchy moo
09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Jesus, what a explanation. So the guy is day to day might of cut it.

!Papacrunk!
09-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Jesus, what a explanation. So the guy is day to day might of cut it. no offense, but I don't think NE39 will be taking posting tips from you

patmoran2006
09-04-2006, 03:54 PM
I'll be happy if Maroney doesnt play.

I remember what another rookie, Cadillac Williams did to use early in the year when we were on the road at TB.

thebuffalobills4
09-04-2006, 04:07 PM
hey don't forget he always gets player of the week or year from espn when he makes his return

ublinkwescore
09-04-2006, 04:13 PM

What about the whifs?

North_Coast
09-04-2006, 04:21 PM
What about the whifs?

C'mon, here, silly! We're talking about God here! Who counts God's whifs???

ublinkwescore
09-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Apparently ESPN and the rest of the Sports Media world that's got their noses clear up the Pats' @$$es.

Captain gameboy
09-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Maroney doesn't sce me at all.
Their defensive line does.

Kenny
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I'll be happy if Maroney doesnt play.

I remember what another rookie, Cadillac Williams did to use early in the year when we were on the road at TB.

yeah but then again, was there any RB that didnt run right through us last year?

TigerJ
09-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Whatever break we might catch against the Patriots, they will still be a very good team and very tough to beat. Still, our chances go up if those breaks do happen, versus what they would be if they didn't.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Whatever break we might catch against the Patriots, they will still be a very good team and very tough to beat. Still, our chances go up if those breaks do happen, versus what they would be if they didn't.

I think openers in general can be unpredictable. I remember last year Denver went into Miami heavy favorites and melted in the heat to the tune of 34-10. The 49ers, who were positively dreadful last year (especially offensively), upset the Rams 28-25.

You just never know.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Jesus, what a explanation. So the guy is day to day might of cut it.

I'm sorry, I thought you might be interested in the current status of the team the Bills were playing this week.

I forgot you are only interested in stuff that comes from rich friends.

BTW, the source of the ESPN report was Wendy Nix, who just started there after working in local television in Boston. They have since backed off the report since, you know, he practiced in full pads and all with no contact restrictions.

Captain gameboy
09-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Lets get serious here.

The guy had no real impact last year against UVA when he was playing for Minnesota.

Only on a Bills website do such worries occur.

Worry about Brady. Worry about their fronf four geting into Losman's face without blitzing.

Forget about Maroney for now.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 05:56 PM
The guy had no real impact last year against UVA when he was playing for Minnesota.

You are kidding, right? He has 26 rushes for 111 yards and 2 TD against UVA last year. That isn't an impact?

Have you seen him yet? He looks like a young Edgerrin James in the games. I realize he is only a rookie and he hasn't done anything yet, but he most certainly can impact the game. He brings an explosiveness to the run game that compliments Dillon's physical style. I'm real excited to see him play in a real game.

Tatonka
09-04-2006, 06:32 PM
i am happy branch isnt playing.

ben watson will have a monster game though.. because he is my starting te in all three of my fantasy leagues.

Captain gameboy
09-04-2006, 07:05 PM
You are kidding, right? He has 26 rushes for 111 yards and 2 TD against UVA last year. That isn't an impact?

Have you seen him yet? He looks like a young Edgerrin James in the games. I realize he is only a rookie and he hasn't done anything yet, but he most certainly can impact the game. He brings an explosiveness to the run game that compliments Dillon's physical style. I'm real excited to see him play in a real game.

I saw the game.
Where are the two TD's you credit him with?

The game stats had him 26 for a buck nine. No TD's. Long was a 22.
Not much.
Declared for the draft right after.

He looked overhyped to me.

When did he get those two TD's again?

Are you looking at a different game?

'Cause if not, it changes the outcome, and somebody ought to say something!

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
When did he get those two TD's again?

I looked HERE (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=428&player=22) and read the wrong column for TDs. My error (I didn't see the game). Nonetheless 26-109 isn't a bad game, especially since he was playing hurt late in the year.

I think some of his other games were impressive. He had 25-127-1 against an Ohio State team that led the nation in rush defense. He put up 46-234 against Purdue and 36-129-1 against Michigan.

None of that really matters, though, we are talking about him as a pro. In the preseason, he has shown the kind of ability he has, and the explosiveness is obvious. He runs hard and has tremendous speed. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out, but I think the kid has the look of a special player. Hopefully, you will see it as well this Sunday.

Captain gameboy
09-04-2006, 08:53 PM
I did....He sucked...

No problem.
Your previous history allows you one immunity card.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 08:58 PM
I did....He sucked...

No problem.
Your previous history allows you one immunity card.

But....Don't challenge me again.

Many have tried.
None succeed.

Admittedly, I'm not so infallible. However, I'm pretty sure from watching Maroney he is going to be a player.

HAMMER
09-04-2006, 08:58 PM
i am happy branch isnt playing.

ben watson will have a monster game though.. because he is my starting te in all three of my fantasy leagues.

You roto geeks kill me with this kind of crap, it ruins games.

Captain gameboy
09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Admittedly, I'm not so infallible. However, I'm pretty sure from watching Maroney he is going to be a player.

In 1968, H. Preston Ridelhuber was a player.

Who could forget?

But to credit the guy with two nonexistant TD's in a bowl game.....?

Oh well....I still like you.

Ickybaluky
09-04-2006, 10:52 PM
But to credit the guy with two nonexistant TD's in a bowl game.....?

It was a mistake, I think we can move past that.

Admittedly, I don't watch as much college football as pro (although I did just finish watching the 2nd half of Miami/Florida State tonight). I only saw Maroney a couple times over the years.

I do watch a lot of NFL football, however, and I've watched a ton of preseason games this year. Maroney, in his limited appearances, has looked great. You can tell when a guy has talent. You can see a guys ability.

You may not agree, and that is fine. Just promise to keep an eye on him this year and I'd bet you would see what I see.

!Papacrunk!
09-05-2006, 07:30 AM
Another thing to watch out about this game, is that the Patriots may be fitting the old cliche--"something to prove." A lot of media etc has put them out to pasture, so the 1st game may be their game to wake up the media.

mybills
09-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Another thing to watch out about this game, is that the Patriots may be fitting the old cliche--"something to prove." A lot of media etc has put them out to pasture, so the 1st game may be their game to wake up the media.
Not in RI. They're still saying they're the greatest. :rolleyes:

Ickybaluky
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM

The Patriots have rarely been a fast starting team under Belichick. They tend to be a team that gets better as the year progresses.

mybills
09-05-2006, 07:58 AM
just like Tiger Woods as the tourney progresses.

BillsNick
09-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Maroney is very scary. He is a big bruiser, with speed. He reminds me of Ricky williams circa 2,000 yard season. If you're not scared of him now, you will be later.

Saratoga Slim
09-05-2006, 12:47 PM
I think the Pats can get by fine with Corey Dillon at this stage in the season. Maroney's health will be more important a little further down the line, when Old Corey starts to get dinged up. I would not at all be surprised to see Maroney getting the majority of the carries by mid-season

~CHIEF~
09-05-2006, 12:50 PM
C'mon, here, silly! We're talking about God here! Who counts God's whifs???Exactly!

Mr. Cynical
09-06-2006, 12:20 AM
I want the Patsies to lose but Maroney to play. I need to know if I should start him next week. :snicker:

Ickybaluky
09-06-2006, 08:58 AM
I want the Patsies to lose but Maroney to play. I need to know if I should start him next week. :snicker:

He may be listed as questionable today, but he should play. Word is he was held out of the last preseason game just as a precaution. The fact he practiced on Monday without restriction means he is ready to go.

This whole thing came out of an ESPN report that they have since backed away from. Several other outlets have picked up on it and run with it.

There is another practice today and the injury report is due out by 4 PM.

Kelly The Dog
09-06-2006, 09:39 AM
Maroney scares the hell out of me and I think he will be a stud for years, baring injury. He looks really good. That said, on NFL Network yesterday they reported that Maroney practiced in pads but that he was wearing the red jerseys that QBs wear, meaning no one could hit him under any circumstance. That doesn't sound too encouraging. I wouldn't rule him out though, and won't until it's official. I predict, however, that he won't suit up.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2006, 10:28 AM
That said, on NFL Network yesterday they reported that Maroney practiced in pads but that he was wearing the red jerseys that QBs wear, meaning no one could hit him under any circumstance.

That isn't what was reported by the press covering the start of practice. He was reported to have no red contact jersey, but was wearing a brace on his left knee.

Rookie TE David Thomas was wearing a red, no-contact jersey.

Kelly The Dog
09-06-2006, 10:46 AM
You mean the report that said "don't expect him to play"?

Start with rookie running back Laurence Maroney. ESPN confirmed a Herald report from last week that Maroney has a knee injury, and the report went on to say Maroney would not play against Buffalo. Maroney participated at practice with a brace around his left knee, but without a red (non-contact) jersey. While he seemed to run well, don’t expect to see Maroney on Sunday.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=155958&srvc=sports

I saw another Boston paper that said he did indeed have the red jersey, but that isn't even worth quoting because it was unclear from the writer whether ESPN was the ones that reported the red jersey, and they aren't very reliable on this story.

Still it seems like more shenanigans (although I am not criticizing the Pats on this, they're good at it and it's all part of the game), but I don't expect to see them risk him. He's too good.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2006, 11:49 AM
You mean the report that said "don't expect him to play"?

Check out this report (http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2006/09/05/sports/sports04.txt):

<b>Laurence Maroney’s left knee might not be 100 percent, but he didn’t look impaired during yesterday’s practice.

New England Patriots fans who were fretting about the rookie running back’s availability for Sunday’s season opener would have been heartened to see Maroney zipping through drills and taking handoffs. He wore a light brace or wrap on his knee but didn’t look like a player bound for the inactive list for Week 1.</b>

And this report (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/):

<b>Laurence Maroney was back at practice for the Patriots today after missing last week's workouts, and Thursday's preseason finale.

The practice was in full pads and Maroney took reps behind Corey Dillon, Kevin Faulk and Heath Evans.</b>

And this report (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/index.php?paged=2):

<b>RB Laurence Maroney was back at practice today for the first time since the Redskins game. He wore a brace on his left knee and ran without a limp, though he did seem to be stretching it out quite a bit. So maybe, contradictory to the earlier report, he isn’t quite on the shelf yet.</b>

The Patriots started practice a little while ago, so we'll see how he is today.

Kelly The Dog
09-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Yep. Taking reps "behind Heath Evans" instills a lot of confidence in me in his availability. But then again, I root for the Bills.

Ickybaluky
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Yep. Taking reps "behind Heath Evans" instills a lot of confidence in me in his availability. But then again, I root for the Bills.

Where he runs in drills seems somewhat irrelevant to playing in the actual games. They weren't scrimmaging or anything, just running drills. The media only stays for the first 15 minutes of practice, so they don't see who is getting the reps in practice.

However, we do have these updates from today's practice:

Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/):

<b>RB Laurence Maroney wore a brace over his left knee but looked to be his explosive self while running through bag drills. He didn't look like a player who is going to miss the season opener.</b>

Herald (http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/):

<b>Like he was on Monday, RB Laurence Maroney was at practice with a brace wrapped around his left knee. He looked fine going through high-knee agilities.</b>

Ickybaluky
09-06-2006, 03:28 PM
It looks certain Maroney will play, as he isn't even listed on the injury report (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/):

<b>ILB Tedy Bruschi (wrist) -- questionable
WR Chad Jackson (hamstring) -- questionable
OT Nick Kaczur (shoulder) -- questionable
OG Stephen Neal (ankle) -- probable
WR Doug Gabriel (hamstring) -- probable</b>

Maroney isn't listed and neither is Ty Warren, who returned to practice today after missing Monday and sitting out the Giants game.

I think Bruschi sits out the game and Jackson as well (no surprise).

I bet everyone else plays.

jamze132
09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm just glad I will be in a sportsbar where I can't actually hear the "Bruschi Love Fest"

Ickybaluky
09-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Update today:

The whole team is back practicing, per the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/) and the Boston Herald (http://news.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/):

Tedy Bruschi is sporting a cast on his wrist.

This means pretty much anybody is available suit up for the game. Chad Jackson is probably the most likely to sit out, as he has a lot of ground to make up after missing all of camp.