On the Pats picking up Jonathan Smith....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedEyE
    • Jul 2002

On the Pats picking up Jonathan Smith....

What do you guys think about Jonathan Smith signing with the Pats?
    Could this hurt Buffalo's chances of winning against the Pats being that Smith obvioulsy knows a lot about the Bills offensive and return schemes?
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: On the Pats picking up Jonathan Smith....

He can't even spell his name right on his jersey!

No, I'm not worried. We supposedly have some surprises up our sleeve, and another week without him knowing all of them. On a side note, I think the nickname "Fast" is overrated. JMO.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

I dont think Smith knows jack. He was the 6th WR not the Captain of the Defense like Malloy was when we got him.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
        I dont think Smith knows jack. He was the 6th WR not the Captain of the Defense like Malloy was when we got him.
        He still has to know the plays. It's not as if they kept him in the dark and had him runninng routes that were drawn up in the dirt before breaking the huddle.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

**** fast fred.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
            I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
            • Sep 2004

One twist here, one twist there, and it could be worst for the Pats. I don't think so.
            The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• BillsNick
              • Jul 2003

Well, I don't think the staff got into to too much detail up to this point. Not really worried about Freddy, but it's no like the Pats need that anyways.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

as far as Smith's impact on the field, I doubt it will make much difference. He's not much of a receiving threat and the Bills' kickoff and punt coverage is too good to worry much about a huge return.

As far as teaching them the Bills' system, it probably helps somewhat but Belicheck is an excellent coach and probably had a good handle on it before Smith came over. The only difference is that with Smith's input, Belicheck may figure out how to beat our system halfway through the first quarter instead of halfway through the second.

Summary: Smith's presence improves NE slightly but doesn't really increase their chances of winning at all- they already had a good handle on it without him.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The King
                  • Jun 2004

A route is a route its the same no matter what logo is on your jersey. I wouldnt worry about it. Any info he could give them they probably had already discovered on film.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
                    • Jul 2005

while I trust Dick/Marv's judgment in letting Smith go, was all in favor of him getting cut, and agree that he probably got outclassed by the receivers we kept, somehow when Belichek picks someone up you just cut it makes you feel like you missed something.

After taking a deep breath however, I think it more accurately underscores the paucity of receivers currently on the NE roster. Gabriel was a great addition and should be a go-to guy for Brady. Otherwise, NE has Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown (35), and two rookies, one of whom (1st rounder Chad Jackson) has been out most of camp with a hammie issue . If Branch continues with his head up his ass, Freddie might actually see some passes.
                    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

Are any team's plays really a big secret?
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• RedEyE
                        • Jul 2002

Ask an opinion, receive an unwarranted course on the basics of football.

It's funny because when the Bills snagged Milloy and pulled off the monsterous upset in week 1, some people were saying that his knowledge of the Pats system proved beneficial. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the standard isn't upheld.

I am of the opinion that the Pats coaching staff will be spending more time getting Smith up to date with their system rather then worrying about picking his brain about the Bills system...

...BUT, Smith will know the holes and weakness of the Bills D. From practice and camp he knows who naps on what plays and what routes works best in order to expose those holes and weaknesses. While Belichick might not necessarily attempt to pull information from Smith, I imagine that the receivers will talk with one another about lineups on Sunday.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                          • Aug 2003

Jonathon, I mean Freddie be running fast but Freddiee run without ball

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by RedEyE
                            ...BUT, Smith will know the holes and weakness of the Bills D. From practice and camp he knows who naps on what plays and what routes works best in order to expose those holes and weaknesses. While Belichick might not necessarily attempt to pull information from Smith, I imagine that the receivers will talk with one another about lineups on Sunday.
                            I think Belicheck knows that anyway, even without Smith. And if he doesn't know it now, he will by halftime.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The King
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by RedEyE
                              Ask an opinion, receive an unwarranted course on the basics of football.

It's funny because when the Bills snagged Milloy and pulled off the monsterous upset in week 1, some people were saying that his knowledge of the Pats system proved beneficial. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the standard isn't upheld.

I am of the opinion that the Pats coaching staff will be spending more time getting Smith up to date with their system rather then worrying about picking his brain about the Bills system...

Its not an accurate comparisson. Malloy was a key factor in NE defense, Smith was a 6th WR.
                              It was all

Comment

Working...
                              X