PDA

View Full Version : On the Pats picking up Jonathan Smith....

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 09:52 AM
What do you guys think about Jonathan Smith signing with the Pats?
Could this hurt Buffalo's chances of winning against the Pats being that Smith obvioulsy knows a lot about the Bills offensive and return schemes?

mybills
09-05-2006, 09:58 AM
He can't even spell his name right on his jersey! :chuckle:

No, I'm not worried. We supposedly have some surprises up our sleeve, and another week without him knowing all of them. On a side note, I think the nickname "Fast" is overrated. JMO.

The King
09-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I dont think Smith knows jack. He was the 6th WR not the Captain of the Defense like Malloy was when we got him.

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I dont think Smith knows jack. He was the 6th WR not the Captain of the Defense like Malloy was when we got him.

He still has to know the plays. It's not as if they kept him in the dark and had him runninng routes that were drawn up in the dirt before breaking the huddle.

THATHURMANATOR
09-05-2006, 10:04 AM
**** fast fred.

The last buffalo fan
09-05-2006, 10:10 AM
One twist here, one twist there, and it could be worst for the Pats. I don't think so.

BillsNick
09-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, I don't think the staff got into to too much detail up to this point. Not really worried about Freddy, but it's no like the Pats need that anyways.

OpIv37
09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
as far as Smith's impact on the field, I doubt it will make much difference. He's not much of a receiving threat and the Bills' kickoff and punt coverage is too good to worry much about a huge return.

As far as teaching them the Bills' system, it probably helps somewhat but Belicheck is an excellent coach and probably had a good handle on it before Smith came over. The only difference is that with Smith's input, Belicheck may figure out how to beat our system halfway through the first quarter instead of halfway through the second.

Summary: Smith's presence improves NE slightly but doesn't really increase their chances of winning at all- they already had a good handle on it without him.

The King
09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
A route is a route its the same no matter what logo is on your jersey. I wouldnt worry about it. Any info he could give them they probably had already discovered on film.

Saratoga Slim
09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
while I trust Dick/Marv's judgment in letting Smith go, was all in favor of him getting cut, and agree that he probably got outclassed by the receivers we kept, somehow when Belichek picks someone up you just cut it makes you feel like you missed something.

After taking a deep breath however, I think it more accurately underscores the paucity of receivers currently on the NE roster. Gabriel was a great addition and should be a go-to guy for Brady. Otherwise, NE has Reche Caldwell, Troy Brown (35), and two rookies, one of whom (1st rounder Chad Jackson) has been out most of camp with a hammie issue . If Branch continues with his head up his ass, Freddie might actually see some passes.

Jan Reimers
09-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Are any team's plays really a big secret?

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Ask an opinion, receive an unwarranted course on the basics of football. :dizzy:

It's funny because when the Bills snagged Milloy and pulled off the monsterous upset in week 1, some people were saying that his knowledge of the Pats system proved beneficial. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the standard isn't upheld.

I am of the opinion that the Pats coaching staff will be spending more time getting Smith up to date with their system rather then worrying about picking his brain about the Bills system...

...BUT, Smith will know the holes and weakness of the Bills D. From practice and camp he knows who naps on what plays and what routes works best in order to expose those holes and weaknesses. While Belichick might not necessarily attempt to pull information from Smith, I imagine that the receivers will talk with one another about lineups on Sunday.

L.A. Playa
09-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Jonathon, I mean Freddie be running fast but Freddiee run without ball

OpIv37
09-05-2006, 10:41 AM
...BUT, Smith will know the holes and weakness of the Bills D. From practice and camp he knows who naps on what plays and what routes works best in order to expose those holes and weaknesses. While Belichick might not necessarily attempt to pull information from Smith, I imagine that the receivers will talk with one another about lineups on Sunday.

I think Belicheck knows that anyway, even without Smith. And if he doesn't know it now, he will by halftime.

The King
09-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Ask an opinion, receive an unwarranted course on the basics of football. :dizzy:

It's funny because when the Bills snagged Milloy and pulled off the monsterous upset in week 1, some people were saying that his knowledge of the Pats system proved beneficial. Now the shoe is on the other foot and the standard isn't upheld.

I am of the opinion that the Pats coaching staff will be spending more time getting Smith up to date with their system rather then worrying about picking his brain about the Bills system...

Its not an accurate comparisson. Malloy was a key factor in NE defense, Smith was a 6th WR.

Mr. Miyagi
09-05-2006, 10:43 AM
...BUT, Smith will know the holes and weakness of the Bills D. From practice and camp he knows who naps on what plays and what routes works best in order to expose those holes and weaknesses.
If Fast Freddie knew how to expose our D's weaknesses, he would've used that knowledge and made the team.

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 10:48 AM
Its not an accurate comparisson. Malloy was a key factor in NE defense, Smith was a 6th WR.

just becasue he was a 6th WR doesn't mean he was given a seperate playbook, nor does it mean he paid any less attention to defensive schemes. He was trying to make the team, probably trying harder than the starters.

C'mon man, you played ball. I don't have any idea what position you played, but you know which defenders you would prefer to go up against at practice.

For instance, McGee might be better covering the deep outs than he is covering the slants. Giving that information to his peers could prove beneficial. You can study film and study film, but things hardly come to fruition until you're on the field playing the game.

The King
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
C'mon man, you played ball. I don't have any idea what position you played, but you know which defenders you would prefer to go up against at practice.

I just dont consider any of that inside information. Certain players have certain tendencies, yes. But your comparing a guy who played with the 3rd team for 2 seasons to a guy who was starting in that Defense for about 6 years.

I honestly think everything Smith scouted were things BB already knew.

Coach Sal
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
The biggest way Smith can/will help the Pats regarding this issue is his knowledge of offensive audibles.

But, of course, the Bills could make some simple adjustments if they're concerned about it.

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I just dont consider any of that inside information. Certain players have certain tendencies, yes. But your comparing a guy who played with the 3rd team for 2 seasons to a guy who was starting in that Defense for about 6 years.

I honestly think everything Smith scouted were things BB already knew.

Point taken.

Ickybaluky
09-05-2006, 11:09 AM
The biggest way Smith can/will help the Pats regarding this issue is his knowledge of offensive audibles.

Do the Bills even employ an audible system? I'm not sure of Fairchild's view on this, but the St. Louis offense did not use audibles. They ran the play without regard for the defense they were playing against.

Saratoga Slim
09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
I'll give you this: it'd be better if Belichek did not have a recent Bills-cut to talk to. I'm sure BB will chat him up, and Smith might possibly provide some useful information. that said, I don't think it's going to make a noticeable difference. Note that we have Andre Davis now, who could be providing us with the same type of info about NE's defensive backs and system as Smith is about ours.

bflojohn
09-05-2006, 02:55 PM
One of the major contributing factors left out here is that Mr. Smith has NEVER been a Buffalo Bills player when Dick Jauron and crew have created a game plan! Old tapes of the St. Louis Rams with Steve Fairchild at the controls would aid Mr. Bill Bilichick much more than picking the brains of Jonathan Smith. I agree that he would hinder the Bills, maybe, just maybe, with the audiable packages.

Michael82
09-05-2006, 08:45 PM
I can't wait for the first time he catches the punt and Sam Aiken, Josh Stamer, and Coy Wire level his ass. :snicker:

ParanoidAndroid
09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
If Fast Freddie knew how to expose our D's weaknesses, he would've used that knowledge and made the team.

Nicely done!