PDA

View Full Version : If Price doesn't work out here's who I like to see as our 2nd WR

Tinboy
09-05-2006, 11:07 AM
First of all, I like Price very much and I am both glad and excited that he is back with the Bills. But if he does continue is slump (I hope not!) if think we should look for this guy:

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/1145/georgiatechcalvinjohnsonpe5.jpg
Calvin Johnson

* All-America, 2005 (AFCA, 1st team; AP, 2nd team; Walter Camp, 2nd team)

* ACC Rookie of the Year, 2004

* First-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference, 2004 and 2005

* First-team Freshman All-America, 2004

AT TECH: All-America wide receiver who is one of the nation's most talented and most exciting players . . . Has been called the best wide receiver in the nation by ESPN analysts Kirk Herbstreit, Lee Corso and Bob Davie, among others . . . Rare combination of size (6-4, 230), 4.4 speed, strength, leaping ability, body control and hand-eye coordination.

After just 24 games, he has 102 receptions for 1,725 yards and 13 touchdowns . . . Ranks seventh in Tech history in career receiving yards, 10th in receptions and tied for sixth in touchdown receptions . . . Over the last two seasons, he has been responsible for more than 40 percent of Tech's passing yards, despite constant double teams . . . In addition to his 102 catches, he has drawn 16 pass interference or defensive holding penalities . . . Career average of 16.9 yards per catch.

What do you guys think? And please no bashing.

L.A. Playa
09-05-2006, 11:09 AM
that would mean a 2-14 season he will be a top 3 pick

Night Train
09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
He'll be a Top 10 pick.

Meanwhile, we'll be picking a LT or DE in Round 1.

Tinboy
09-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Or a trade...

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 11:11 AM
that would mean a 2-14 season he will be a top 3 pick

You're right on. I don't know about top 3, but he's going to be plucked from the board quick. Especially after the list of WR that were not available this past year.

Jan Reimers
09-05-2006, 11:18 AM
I think we're deep at WR, but thin on the O and D lines, so I don't see us taking a receiver in the 1st round.

Tinboy
09-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Think he will go into the draft next year since his a junior?

Ickybaluky
09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm not completely sold on Calvin Johnson yet. He has a ton of talent, incredible size, great hands and does an amazing job of using his body to shield the defender to make the catch.

I just don't know if he is quick enough to be a superstar. I know they claim he has 4.4 speed, but watching him play he doesn't look that fast. He can run, but he seems slower changing directions.

He is obviously a great college player, but I wonder if he is almost too big to play WR. He looks more like a TE. He could be another Mike Williams.

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm not completely sold on Calvin Johnson yet. He has a ton of talent, incredible size, great hands and does an amazing job of using his body to shield the defender to make the catch.

I just don't know if he is quick enough to be a superstar. I know they claim he has 4.4 speed, but watching him play he doesn't look that fast. He can run, but he seems slower changing directions.

He is obviously a great college player, but I wonder if he is almost too big to play WR. He looks more like a TE. He could be another Mike Williams.

He is a bit slower changing directions, but the kid has definitly got break away speed. If he can master the Micheal Irvin "bump -and-run", he's going to be something special in the NFL.

RedEyE
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I'll be watching a good bit of Adrian Peterson this season as well.

Saratoga Slim
09-05-2006, 11:38 AM
AT THIS POINT, BEFORE THE SEASON ALLOWS US TO FULLY EVALUATE OUR FUTURE NEEDS, I'd kind of like to see next year's first rounder be a pas-rushing DE, or perhaps a franchise LT. I'm optimistically hoping that our 2nd-5th string receivers will be able to at least keep the defenses honest with their speed. if they can do that and give Lee a little room to work, I think we'll have higher priorities going into this next draft than WR.

Ickybaluky
09-05-2006, 11:40 AM
He is a bit slower changing directions, but the kid has definitly got break away speed. If he can master the Micheal Irvin "bump -and-run", he's going to be something special in the NFL.

Irvin wasn't that big. Maybe in the right system, but you can't be great in the NFL going deep all the time. WR are usually lankier and tighter in the hips than Johnson, because change of direction is so important in running routes.

I don't know, I would worry he looks too much like a TE and not enough like a WR. Of course, I'm no scout.

BuffaloBillsStampede
09-05-2006, 01:26 PM
That kid is amazing and would be real nice next to Evans, but I also feel like we need another DE especially because of the style of D we are running. If there are no quality DE's when we pick then I say tackle or guard. I hope we aren't picking high enough to get him either because he will go top 5 at least. I do think we need another reciever that is better than what we have.

Kenny
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
yeah, he'll be a top 5 (possibly a top 3) pick next year for sure (especially now that Bush broke his leg)

DraftBoy
09-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Calvin isnt 4.4 fast but he has a long stride which makes up for it. Kid is the real deal and if they threw to him in the 2nd half they would of upset the Irish.

mybills
09-05-2006, 02:15 PM
First of all, I like Price very much and I am both glad and excited that he is back with the Bills. But if he does continue is slump
slump? :scratch:

patmoran2006
09-05-2006, 02:47 PM
1- He's DEFINITELY a TOP FOUR PICK.

2- I will personally kick Marv in his cancer-free ass if he has a top four pick and doesnt take a DE or OT this year; unless JP ends up sucking and we can take Brady Quinn.

3- Marv did a great job of stocking up the defense and signing some "skill guys". Next offseason BETTER BE 95% about the lines.

TigerJ
09-05-2006, 05:05 PM
He's better than a top 5 pick. I hope Buffalo is not in a position to draft him. If it requires a trade, I would tend to be very cautious about making it because it can be so costly, both in terms of draft picks and in terms of he contract it would take to sign the guy. A great size/speed blend does not make for a can't miss prospect. Case in point: Tyrone Calico was drafted a few years ago. He was 6'3" 225 and ran a 4.34 40. Plus, he was thought to have good hands. The one knock was he came from a smaller school and was considered raw. After three years in the league, when he should be about ready to blossom, he was just cut. I can't remember by whom. Apparently no one thought he was good enough to pick up because he's still out there somewhere, maybe looking for a grocery store that tneeds a fast bagger.

I'm not comparing Calvin Johnson and Calico. They are two different players, and chances are Johnson will be a star in the league. I just think teams need to be careful trading up because the price is always steep, and there's no guarantee you won't end up with nothing.

Night Train
09-05-2006, 05:18 PM
He's better than a top 5 pick. I hope Buffalo is not in a position to draft him. If it requires a trade, I would tend to be very cautious about making it because it can be so costly, both in terms of draft picks and in terms of he contract it would take to sign the guy. A great size/speed blend does not make for a can't miss prospect. Case in point: Tyrone Calico was drafted a few years ago. He was 6'3" 225 and ran a 4.34 40. Plus, he was thought to have good hands. The one knock was he came from a smaller school and was considered raw. After three years in the league, when he should be about ready to blossom, he was just cut. I can't remember by whom. Apparently no one thought he was good enough to pick up because he's still out there somewhere, maybe looking for a grocery store that tneeds a fast bagger.

I'm not comparing Calvin Johnson and Calico. They are two different players, and chances are Johnson will be a star in the league. I just think teams need to be careful trading up because the price is always steep, and there's no guarantee you won't end up with nothing.

Well said, wise sage.

On top of that, we don't need another #1 WR. We have that in Evans. We need a good hands route runner to be the #2.

Vet WR's area a dime a dozen most off-seasons. Our crying need is OL and DE.