PDA

View Full Version : Have our drafts really been that bad?

BillsFever21
09-06-2006, 09:01 AM
For us to get guys like Schobel, Evans, McGahee, McGee, Crowell, Clements and maybe Losman and other role players who have been great and made the impact they did I feel we've done a pretty good job over the years. Donahoe gave us some great players through the draft and signed some good FA's. We had the team to contend. He just couldn't find the right coach to put it all together.

Hopefully Marv and Modrak will make a good team and do a good job in the draft. If we can get 5 impact players and a few decent role players that contribute good after the first round like Donahoe gave us over a few years then it will be a success.

In the 2003 draft Donahoe netted us McGahee, McGee and Crowell. That was a very good draft.

2002 didn't give us much but it was a terrible draft all together. Most of the players around Mike Williams turned out to be junk. And even though Reed hasn't been a great player he is decent and the guys drafted around him haven't been much better.

In 2001 he netted us Clements, Schobel, Henry(played good when here and got us the draft pick back), and Jonas Jennings who played good when he was here.

In 2004 he netted us Evans and Losman.

2005 and 2006 is still TBD.

Drafting in the Top 10 of the draft certaintly doesn't mean a player will pan out. Especially recently there have been a ton of busts. I got to thinking about this after Harrington, Rogers and Williams were all released this year.

The year we had a Top 5 pick was the worst possible time. All the highly touted guys who were supposed to be difference makers turned out to be losers in the 2002 draft.

For how many draft picks actually pan out to even be good players we have done a good job to not only get some good players but we got some impact players. Outside of the 2002 draft I give our organization high praises with the draft. You can't expect every player to pan out.

2002 Draft

This one turned out to be terrible at the top of the draft class.

1. David Carr- Granted he's on a terrible team but he hasn't helped the cause much. He's had a longer leash but so far it's been a wasted pick.

3. Joey Harrington- Was a worthless bust. We were gonna draft him. To think a lot of us were upset when Detroit took him and we missed out. It didn't matter because we ended up instead with...

4. Mike Williams- No need to mention anything with this bum.

5. Quentin Jammer- A decent player but not an impact CB that you would expect to get with the #5 pick.

6. Ryan Simms- This guy has been worthless. Always injured and hasn't performed when he was healthy. The Vikings were lucky they screwed up with the draft card or they would've ended up with this loser. Instead they got a great LT in McKinnie. Too bad we wouldn't have gotten McKinnie.

Out of the Top 6 only one guy in Julius Peppers has amounted to something.

There are 13 other players in the rest of the first round that never amounted to anything either, very little or not even starters. That's half the players that never made much of an impact or none at all.

Wendell Bryant, William Green, Phillip Buchanon, T.J. Duckett, Ashley Lelie, Dan Graham, Bryan Thomas, Napoleon Harris, Mike Rumph, Jerramy Stevens, Marc Colombo, Robert Thomas, Patrick Ramsey.

The 2nd round players wern't any better. These rookies should not be making as much as they do coming out of college.

Another alarming thing to see is look at all the DT's. Most of the highest regarded ones turned out to be crap.

2003 Draft

2. Charles Rogers- Would rather smoke weed and can't stay healthy. Still has the talent. Maybe he will turn it around.

4. Dewayne Robertson- Has been decent but hasn't made much of an impact with the Jets.

6. Jonathon Sullivan- Has done absolutely nothing.

That's 3 more major busts in the Top 6 of the draft. Other ones in the first round that either wern't worth that pick or has done nothing at all. Some the jury is still out on but doesn't look very good.

Jimmy Kennedy, Ty Warren, Michael Haynes, Jerome McDougle, Bryant Johnson, Calvin Pace, Kyle Boller, Jeff Faine, Rex Grossman, Kwame Harris, Andre Woolfolk, Sammy Davis, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tyler Brayton

You can't count on at least half of the first round players never amounting to anything. Most of the DT's turned out to be crap. The QB's and most of the Tackles haven't turned out to much either with the exception of a few.

The best success has been from the S, TE and G and LB positions where they have panned out the most.

If we ever have a chance to trade a draft pick for a good player it's well worth the asking price.

Guys like Javon Walker that was had for a 2nd round pick. Culpepper and others. If you can good a good player for that then it's well worth it. I hear people saying that players like that isn't worth a 2nd round pick.

Even with the injury concerns surrounding them it's worth it. You know what you have in them if they come back as the same player. Even if they don't then it's a risk worth taking and you might not be any worse off. You have a 60% chance of getting crap if you use that draft pick yourself.

It's worth giving up a draft pick or multiple draft picks to get a guranteed player instead of playing russian roulette and going into that crapshoot.

This is all the proof you need that you can't rely on draft picks to fill a major position of need if you have the opportunity to either trade for one or sign one in FA. You rely and expect that and pass on them and most likely you're not gonna end up with much in the draft.

For us to get guys like Schobel, Evans, McGahee, McGee, Crowell, Clements and maybe Losman and other role players who have been great and made the impact they did I feel we've done a pretty good job over the years. Donahoe gave us some great players through the draft and signed some good FA's. We had the team to contend. He just couldn't find the right coach to put it all together.

Hopefully Marv and Modrak will make a good team and do a good job in the draft. If we can get 5 impact players and a few decent role players that contribute good after the first round like Donahoe gave us over a few years then it will be a success.

In the 2003 draft Donahoe netted us McGahee, McGee and Crowell. That was a very good draft.

2002 didn't give us much but it was a terrible draft all together. Most of the players around Mike Williams turned out to be junk. And even though Reed hasn't been a great player he is decent and the guys drafted around him haven't been much better.

In 2001 he netted us Clements, Schobel, Henry(played good when here and got us the draft pick back), and Jonas Jennings who played good when he was here.

In 2004 he netted us Evans and Losman.

2005 and 2006 is still TBD.

ICE74129
09-06-2006, 09:33 AM
For us to get guys like Schobel, Evans, McGahee, McGee, Crowell, Clements and maybe Losman and other role players who have been great and made the impact they did I feel we've done a pretty good job over the years. .

Bottom line...NO OL WORTH A DAMN!

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 10:03 AM
As much as I dislike Donahoe, he did pretty well in the draft on D (where I have often criticized him) - I'd have to give him a "B." If Losman comes through, and we get something out of Parrish and Everett, I'd have to give him an "A" on the skill position players.

But I agree with ICE on the O-line. I'd give him an "F."

FinFaninBuffalo
09-06-2006, 10:16 AM

You are missing some important points:

1. Donahoe drafted some good players, but at what cost? He spent way too many high picks on positions that were not needed or where high picks had already been used. (3 WRs, 3 DEs, 2 RBs, 2 QBs (counting Bledsoe)). BTW, these came after using 1st round picks on Erik Flowers and Rob Johnson. Not TD's fault but they do add up.

2. As a result of point 1, he neglected (or picked badly) OL and DT. This has been the problem spot on the Bills for years.

3. As a result of 1 and 2, Donahoe went for low budget or short term FAs to shore up the OL and DT positions. This hasn't worked.

Blaming it all of coaching is ridiculous. If that were true, why would the new regime be rebuilding?

The problem with Donahoe is that his mistakes out weighed his correct decisions. The flubbing of the QB situation and (especially) the OL ruined the team's chances. Unlike some others, I put the Mike Williams pick on him. There was another option that draft that many, many people preferred. Donahoe screwed up. McKinnie is having a fine career in Minn. They also repeatedly signed FA lineman and put them in different positions on the line (Teague, Anderson, Gandy).

Finally, for all of the decent moves he made on defense, you cannot ignore the fact that he used three second round picks on DEs. Two of those have been below average players. The DT position has been a revolving door of players.

You also have to add up the number of high picks spent on the QB position (two 1sts, one 2nd), RB position (one 1st and one 2nd), WR (one 1st, two 2nds). That is 4 1st round and 4 2nd round picks to fill 4 positions on offense.

In an interesting twist of fate, the Bengals pulled out of the Bledsoe derby. They ended up going with John Kitna and Gus Frerotte instead. They sturggled that season. They changed coaches (got Marvin Lewis) and drafted Carson Palmer (who may be the best young QB in the NFL). How would the Bills look right now if they had Marvin Lewis and Carson Palmer, along with the extra players from a 2nd round pick in 2004 and 1st and 2nd round picks in 2005.

To add insult to injury, the Bengals drafted Levi Jones with the 10th overall pick in 2002, the same year that Mike Williams was drafted. He has started for the Bengals since his rookie year. Wow, have those two franchises taken different paths.

Carlton Bailey
09-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Donahoe did a really good job in terms of picking guys that weren't linemen, save for Schobel. I thank him for Losman, Willis, Evans, Crowell, McGee, Clements, etc. His real mistakes were the two coaches he hired and the lack of trench help.

mysticsoto
09-06-2006, 10:35 AM
Donahoe did a really good job in terms of picking guys that weren't linemen, save for Schobel. I thank him for Losman, Willis, Evans, Crowell, McGee, Clements, etc. His real mistakes were the two coaches he hired and the lack of trench help.

For the most part that is true although Peters is the only exception for linemen.

And I'd agree that TD's biggest faults were the coaches he hired more than his draft picks - although for 2002, he and all the scouts get an F!

Typ0
09-06-2006, 11:42 AM
TD did a lot of positive things and one has to wonder if a budget dictated his coaching hires not who he thought gave us the best opportunities. I'm one of the people that think GW is going to be a good head coach in the NFL someday but he was so green and needed to learn some hard lessons.

Ebenezer
09-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Good points on the coaching...he was afraid of creating another Cowher. He lost a power struggle once before and wasn't going to be burned again. He had to show it was him and not the coach so he went out and picked some guys who he thought he could mold and make them winners. Guys that would be beholding to him and wouldn't stab him in the back.

IF the Bills were to surprise the league this year and go 9-7 or better I think that will be shown that it was a coaching choice liability that was TD's downfall.