PDA

View Full Version : NFL in Toronto?

hammerbillsfan
09-06-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1157493014459&call_pageid=970599119419

The men who own the Leafs and the Blue Jays have finally publicly admitted they want to work together to bring a National Football League team to Toronto.

"I'm highly interested in an NFL team and Ted is too," Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment, said yesterday. "We hope to pursue it more rigorously as soon as the NFL gives us the word."

Ted is Ted Rogers, owner of the Jays.The NFL has 32 teams and, if Toronto were to get one, it would likely be through a team relocating, rather than the league expanding. There has been speculation the Buffalo Bills could move if there is an ownership change, or the New Orleans Saints could move.
I hope the NFL never ever comes to Toronto. :down:

THATHURMANATOR
09-06-2006, 11:43 AM
It would be a travesty for them to steal the Bills from us.

justasportsfan
09-06-2006, 11:44 AM
they can't have a team with the bills close by. Maybe if they made it Montreal.

THATHURMANATOR
09-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Well the Idea is stealing the Bills! F ing A$$hole Ted Rogers!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

hammerbillsfan
09-06-2006, 11:46 AM
well said THURM, Rogers is a fool and his company stinks.

BAM
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
they can't have a team with the bills close by. Maybe if they made it Montreal.

Tell that to the Orioles owner! They fought hard to keep the Nationals away but in the end they failed.

THATHURMANATOR
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I hope he goes out of Business!

Jeff1220
09-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Tell that to the Orioles owner! They fought hard to keep the Nationals away but in the end they failed.

The DC Baltimore area can support 2 teams. I don't know if SE Ontario and UNY have the numbers or $$ to support 2 NFL teams

THATHURMANATOR
09-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Well if the Bills move to Toronto I hope that the team is totally boycotted by anyone in the Western NY area. I know they would instantly become my most hated team!

RedEyE
09-06-2006, 01:18 PM
This is the gayest idea ever.

hammerbillsfan
09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Well if the Bills move to Toronto I hope that the team is totally boycotted by anyone in the Western NY area. I know they would instantly become my most hated team!

This is the gayest idea ever.

:goodpost:

G. Host
09-06-2006, 01:37 PM
The more that Larry Tanenbaum and Ted Rogers talk about moving the Bills, the more Bills fans need to not support the Maple Leafs and the Blue Jays.

THATHURMANATOR
09-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Well I already support either teams with 0 contributions. I didn't even go to a Yanks game in Toronto. I went to Cleveland.

djjimkelly
09-06-2006, 01:45 PM
guys being from toronto i want bills to remain bills and be in buffalo and ill be a bills fan no matter what.

however toronto is the 4th biggest market in north america excluding mexico.

NYC
LA
HOUSTON
TORONTO

so to say southern ontario which has appoximately 15 million people cant support and nfl team is near laughable.

LIKE I SAID I PRAY BILLS NEVER MOVE but toronto is a HUGE market!!!!!!!

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Let's just wait for the next hurricane to turn New Orleans into a nice big bass lake, and the Saints can move to Toronto.

THATHURMANATOR
09-06-2006, 01:54 PM
guys being from toronto i want bills to remain bills and be in buffalo and ill be a bills fan no matter what.

NYC
LA
HOUSTON
TORONTO

so to say southern ontario which has appoximately 15 million people cant support and nfl team is near laughable.

Ok then how bout this. We buy all the season tickets and never go to the games! I would do this just out of spite!

G. Host
09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Ok then how bout this. We buy all the season tickets and never go to the games! I would do this just out of spite!
I don't think they would care - they just want the money. Redskins, etc don't care as long as they sell out.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Yeah, look at how the Toronto "fans" support Major League Baseball now that the Blue Jays suck.

Kenny
09-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, look at how the Toronto "fans" support Major League Baseball now that the Blue Jays suck.

It might not be a sell out, but what teams outside the Yankees, BoSox, etc... are?
I believe the Jays still have 20-25k in attendance most games. Isnt that in line with most other teams?

tat2dmike77
09-06-2006, 02:50 PM

If the bills ever move i would stop watching pro football that day and just concentrate on Ohio State Football

The_Philster
09-06-2006, 03:15 PM

NYC
LA
HOUSTON
TORONTO

No one is saying Toronto couldn't support an NFL franchise...but Toronto and Buffalo together would have a hard time supporting 2 NFL franchises

THATHURMANATOR
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
And guys I don't think DJJIM is arguing with us. He raises a very valid point.

bills_7
09-06-2006, 04:18 PM
If the bills moved anywhere i would be pissed... but if they went to Toronto i could deal with it and i could go watch more games live lol

Mr. Miyagi
09-06-2006, 04:33 PM
I want the Bills to stay where they are, and move one of the other crappy teams up to Toronto. Arizona would work since they don't support that team anyway.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 04:43 PM
I want the Bills to stay where they are, and move one of the other crappy teams up to Toronto. Arizona would work since they don't support that team anyway.
I think Arizona is building a new stadium as a way to lure fans. The team from the soon-to-be Lake New Orleans needs to go.

The_Philster
09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I think Arizona is building a new stadium as a way to lure fans. The team from the soon-to-be Lake New Orleans needs to go.
correction: built
http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/design.php

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 05:02 PM
correction: built
http://www.azcardinals.com/stadium/design.php
I guess the Cards are not moving anytime soon, then.

The last buffalo fan
09-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I could stop watching football, if the ****ing NFL moves the bills out of Buffalo........................................... ****ing NoFunLeague!!!!! :madmad:

ParanoidAndroid
09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
New Orleans has sold 65,000 season tickets! That's not a typo.

Like another poster has said...the Bills moving would make me sick to my stomach, but if they were to move anywhere, Toronto is nice and close.

HHURRICANE
09-06-2006, 07:53 PM
With the incredible success of the Toronto Blue Jays I can't imagine why there''s not an NFL team in Toronto already!!

Stewie
09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
F canada.

generalmills
09-06-2006, 10:45 PM
The debate over an NFL team here must consider the population demographics of the city of Toronto and the GTA as a whole.
While I do not have exact numbers, I have just been going through some statistics from census reports and some NFL demographic breakdowns and through this have found the following argument to be at least something that needs to be considered.
One of the main factors attempting to support Toronto as being a successful candidate is that of its large population which without further research leads one to believe that there exists a large market base for NFL football. But is this true?? The population of Toronto is almost 45% forgien born, second only to that of Miami/Dade (46%) when considering the break down of major metropolitan areas throughout the world. For further illustration consider that LA (major candidate for future expansion/ relocation) is just over 31% and New York sits at around 26%.
One might argue that Miami is able to succeed with its demographics and as a result ask: why can't Toronto??
The forgien born population of Miami is mostly made up of Hispanic immigrants arriving from nations close to the United States where they have been exposed to American football before movement. On the contrary, there is Toronto who's immigrants historically came for Europe particularly the UK but has undergone a major shift in immigration statistics. Presently 43% of Toronto's population identifies/reports themselves as being part of a visual minority. Further broken down, it is clear that this is not your "typical minority football fan" like that found in major US cities supporting NFL teams (Hispanic and African American). Toronto boasts 10.6% Chinese, 10.3% South Asian, 8.3% Black, and 3.5% Filipino. Furthermore the 8.3% black statistic is very much misleading because this is not the same as that of African Americans who statistically make up 12.8% of NFL viewership in the United States. The black population growth in Toronto has been a result of a boom of immigrants coming from Caribbean nations who's athletic allegiance have been historically to soccer, and cricket NOT AMERICAN FOOTBALL. Although we have seen a considerable amount of support for the NBA's Raptors from this demographic, there is no where near the same level of interest (percentage wise) for the CFL's Toronto Argo's.
The CBC has reported in the last year that by 2017, visual minorities will top 50% of Toronto's population. Therefore the population growth that Toronto is going to experience would not further cement a stable environment for NFL football but would rather further diversify the population pool and in turn strengthening pressure groups for other globalized sports (such as the MLS & Toronto FC which will debut in the 2007 season)
What does all this mean?? Basically the illusioned "huge market" that Toronto would provide is actually very much misunderstood in that the numbers do not support that of the NFL's typical and historic viewership.

just something to consider.

Mr. Miyagi
09-06-2006, 10:53 PM
F canada.
:rofl:

Kenny
09-07-2006, 07:38 AM
F canada.

F You

New Orleans has sold 65,000 season tickets! That's not a typo.

Like another poster has said...the Bills moving would make me sick to my stomach, but if they were to move anywhere, Toronto is nice and close.

That's just a response from last year. Lets see what happens next season after another losing season from the Saints.

jamze132
09-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Toronto is better than L.A.

However, neither are as good as BUFFALO!!!!!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 07:52 AM
If the bills moved anywhere i would be pissed... but if they went to Toronto i could deal with it and i could go watch more games live lol
Traitor! They would be my most hated team in sports and I would wish death to everyone involved(including the fans who support them and the players on the team)

Stewie
09-07-2006, 10:18 AM
F You

no thanks, eh?

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 12:46 PM
No I agree F Canada.

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 12:47 PM
That is if they try to steal the Bills though. Other wise I am a fan of Canada.