PDA

View Full Version : Coy Wire to Start over Whitner?

gil
09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
I really hope this is just Jauron trying to play games with the Pats or something - from Chris Brown's blog:

STARTER AT STRONG SAFETY: Bills top pick Donte Whitner isn't a lock to start at strong safety Sunday. Veteran Coy Wire is a possibility to start.
"We're really not ready to say that Coy is the starter, but we like Coy," said Jauron. "He has the most experience of those guys and we're trying to bring Donte along. Whoever starts, Donte is going to play. If he doesn't start he's going to play a great deal in the game. Coy is coming back from injury so whoever is out there is going to need a blow at some time or another."

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

OpIv37
09-06-2006, 03:36 PM
oh hell no.

What about Bowen? I'd start him over Wire any day.

TedMock
09-06-2006, 03:37 PM
god, I hope not. Wire is solid in run support, but so far he has been the worst cover SS I've ever seen. Maybe he's improved in a 180 degree, drastic fashion? Doubt it, but if he's starting I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is indeed the case.

TedMock
09-06-2006, 03:39 PM

I agree 100%. I received a v-text earlier stating that Bowen is questionable this week. I'm assuming from the previous bone-bruise.

Not only can Bowen hit as well as Wire, but he is also faster. That should help in coverage.

OpIv37
09-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Please tell me Marv didn't spend a #8 pick on a guy who can't even beat out Coy Wire for the starting job.

Our starting D could potentially include Chris Kelsay, Tim Anderson and Coy Wire. Why do so many people think our D is so good? I just don't get it.

BillsNick
09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
It said "possible". Not for sure.

TedMock
09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I just assume let the young guys take their licks. Belichick and the Patriots in Foxboro is probably the toughest test they'll face all year. Let them go get beat up, and see how they respond; not only during this game, but as the year goes on. If they can take the beating and come back punching, we may have something to look forward to.

Nobody in the outside world expects us to win. Let's see if these kids have character, and maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Patrick76777
09-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Worst news EVER!

I ****** hate Coy Wire. I don't even know why he's on this team? Is it the fact that he's a terrible safety? Or maybe it's his ability on ST's to jump on every pile 2 seconds after every tackle.

This guy is useless. I can't believe we cut Eric King and Rashaad Baker and kept Coy Wire. And don't give me CB vs. S BS, DB's are DB's.

LtBillsFan66
09-06-2006, 04:12 PM
He can jump out of a swimming pool though.

Patrick76777
09-06-2006, 04:13 PM

I bet he can Suck D too. Who cares.

Risin
09-06-2006, 04:14 PM

:D :respect:

LtBillsFan66
09-06-2006, 04:14 PM
His parents are cool. They stopped by our tailgate at the Meadowlands.

Patrick76777
09-06-2006, 04:15 PM
His parents are cool. They stopped by our tailgate at the Meadowlands.

Jason Taylors parents parked next to us a few years back. Holy Rollers!

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Coy has experience. Whitner can actually play safety. Please, Dick, do the right thing.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Wire's been toasted more than Wonder Bread.

jamze132
09-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Once Dick sees Coy look like an idiot out there, Dick will feel like a Dick. If Donte was smart, he would say "not this time, coach" when Dick tells him to get in there. Teach Dick a little lesson in Coy's abilities any place othere than ST.

Night Train
09-06-2006, 04:22 PM
I have experience breathing air for 46 years.

I can't play Safety worth a damn, much like Wire.

Typ0
09-06-2006, 04:24 PM
This is either a joke...or all hope that DJ might be a better coach than we've had the past five years is gone. Coy Wire sucks.

Typ0
09-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I thought of a new recipe....it's called instant touchdown. Just add Coy Wire to the opposing defensive backfield and you get an instant TD.

LtBillsFan66
09-06-2006, 04:26 PM
He's half Asian.

L.A. Playa
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
oh hell no.

WHITNEY SAYS " HELL TO THA NO"

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2004/2004-03/25-whitney-inside.jpg

Typ0
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Maybe we're talking him up so we can trade him to the Pats or Fins...now that makes sense to me.

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 04:32 PM
He's half Asian.
Well then, just add a little Soy to Coy, and Typo's recipe will be complete.

Michael82
09-06-2006, 04:50 PM
What the **** is this!?!? I thought Wire stayed here just so he can be a backup and special teams demon. WTF is he starting? He better NOT start! Tom Brady will eat him alive. :ill: :puke:

Michael82
09-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I will say this, If this is true, it is exactly what I thought....they planned on having Matt Bowen start for a few games or so and then weaning Donte Whitner into it. If Bowen wasn't injured, he definitely would have started!

But if Bowen is not healthy enough to start, I don't want to see Wire start! He sucks! I'd take a rookie over him anyday of the week! :mad: :ill:

RockStar36
09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
If Wire starts, Brady will have a career day.

shelby
09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Y'all are such haters.
:D

ublinkwescore
09-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Coy Wire looks like he's got down syndrome...

Jan Reimers
09-06-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm down with that.

Sorry, I'm having a bad Punday, er. . . Wednesday.

Richard Gozinya
09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Coy Wire can turn a television into a watch.

gil
09-06-2006, 05:44 PM
well, like I said when I posted this - I think Jauron may be just playing games - unfortunately, what I don't think he's playing games about is that Wire will get significant PT,

and that does mean Brady's eyes are going to light up like he's watching St. Bruschi receive the commandments from the burning bush.

ParanoidAndroid
09-06-2006, 05:55 PM

Ha ha....man that is soooo uncool.

Michael82
09-06-2006, 06:49 PM
If Wire starts, Brady will have a career day.
Agreed. :ill:

Typ0
09-06-2006, 07:17 PM
This is bad...very bad. My worst fears have been realized. Not only has Coy Wire not been cut...he's going to be starting and giving up TDs left and right. I no longer have confidence in my team :(.

Mr. Cynical
09-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Please tell me Marv didn't spend a #8 pick on a guy who can't even beat out Coy Wire for the starting job..

If true, the evidence just keeps piling up...

YardRat
09-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Who says Jauron doesn't have a sense of humor? That's damn funny.

Meathead
09-06-2006, 10:14 PM
well the classic way to beat the c2 is to emphasize the tes because they can exploit the space underneath with the two safeties deep

combine that with the exceptional talent ne has at te and you can instantly see this is a big problem for the bills

and to top it off the guy who is best prepared to play the ss spot in this first game(bowen) is out with an injury

so what do you do?

play a guy who has struggled with tes every time hes on the field (wire)?

or the rookie who would be easily fooled and is just as much a liability?

i sure as hell hope they saw some significant improvement in wire to think he can get the job done cuz he sure hasnt in the past

makes the baker cut even more puzzling

but they certainly know this and had to have an excellent reason to make that decision so we will just have to wait and see what happens

~CHIEF~
09-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Coy's a ****ing ******!

Kerr
09-07-2006, 09:45 AM
this is probably some kind of chess game he's playing with NE.

bernielivsey_1
09-07-2006, 10:11 AM
Maybe....just maybe......Coy might fit this system better (Tampa 2) and he might be showing some signs to the coaching staff the he's getting it. Then he might be better than the past. Or I could be the anti Wys with rose colored glasses.

OpIv37
09-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Maybe....just maybe......Coy might fit this system better (Tampa 2) and he might be showing some signs to the coaching staff the he's getting it. Then he might be better than the past. Or I could be the anti Wys with rose colored glasses.

The thing is that we cut guys like Posey and Watson because they were too slow for the system, then they keep Coy Wire? I know it's a different position, but in the cover 2, each safety has to cover from the center of the field to the sideline, plus the distance to the goal line. We know Coy Wire is slow- it seems to me that he's not a good fit for the system.

M
09-07-2006, 10:27 AM
My worst nightmare is coming true ... Coy starting against the Pats. Please, someone wake me up!

Meathead
09-07-2006, 10:31 AM
you think coy is a nightmare get ready for what tom freddy kruger brady will do to a dinged up rookie who missed the start of camp in a contract holdout

Typ0
09-07-2006, 11:58 AM
We might as well face the facts...we passed up on picking one of two big time star QBs with a great deal of value for picking a defensive back who can't even play on opening day.

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
A couple of things guys.

1) Bowen is hurt and would probably start over Wire if not a gimp.

2) Whitner's agent and the Bills were too busy fussing over numbers instead of doing what's necessary to get this kid in camp. He could have used the extra weeks to learn the system, like Wire obviously did.

3) The Bills coaching staff would rather take their chances with a seasoned veteran (oy :ill: ) then just hand the position to a rookie who is wet behind the ears. In other words they want him to earn the position which is commendable.

OpIv37
09-07-2006, 12:31 PM
A couple of things guys.

1) Bowen is hurt and would probably start over Wire if not a gimp.

2) Whitner's agent and the Bills were too busy fussing over numbers instead of doing what's necessary to get this kid in camp. He could have used the extra weeks to learn the system, like Wire obviously did.

3) The Bills coaching staff would rather take their chances with a seasoned veteran (oy :ill: ) then just hand the position to a rookie who is wet behind the ears. In other words they want him to earn the position which is commendable.

that's all well and good, except none of those things make Wire any faster or better. I'd feel more comfortable with Whitner in there. Or an inanimate tackling dummy. Almost anything would be better than putting Wire up against Brady in a cover 2.

Patrick76777
09-07-2006, 12:34 PM
that's all well and good, except none of those things make Wire any faster or better. I'd feel more comfortable with Whitner in there. Or an inanimate tackling dummy. Almost anything would be better than putting Wire up against Brady in a cover 2.
I guess the only consolation is that the Pats don’t have any WR’s!

But look for D. Graham to have 15 catches for 200 yards.

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 12:35 PM

Just becasue he starts, doesn't mean he'll finish. We all know he won't last long. I expect Whitner to take over the starting role before the end of the game Sunday.

OpIv37
09-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Just becasue he starts, doesn't mean he'll finish. We all know he won't last long. I expect Whitner to take over the starting role before the end of the game Sunday.

quite possibly- the scary thought is what happens in that period after he starts and before he's pulled.

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 12:38 PM
quite possibly- the scary thought is what happens in that period after he starts and before he's pulled.

Well at least we know whay the guy wasn't one of the 22 cut. Actually.....no we don't.

Kerr
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Coy is nothing more than a 46D strong safety. I hope all this nonsense ends up with Whitner actually starting.

L.A. Playa
09-07-2006, 02:00 PM
so has it actually been stated that he is starting or is all this just speculation

shelby
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
It's all speculation.

bocephuz
09-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Perfect example of why Coy Wire is not a good fit in cover 2

If you remember, the Bills played Carolina last year and Jerry Gray went to a cover 2 kind of D to try and take away the passing game and Steve Smith. It actually worked pretty well as Smith was contained for the most part and Carolina couldn't really make any big plays... that is until 2 minutes left when Delhomme hit the tight end in the end zone for the winning TD. Guess who completely blew the coverage ( obvious on the replays) .. COY WIRE.

The only way the Bills survive this game against the Pats is if Willis chews up yards .. thus keeping Brady ( and Coy Wire) on the sidelines.. and the D Line has to come up big with pressure... otherwise Brady will dink and dunk all day and eventually hit the big one.

G. Host
09-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Jauron is making Whitner, the safety who held out of camp, EARN the safety spot rather than given to it on a golden platter (to be dropped and broken) like Losman was last year.