PDA

View Full Version : Blank Wants new Stadium for Falcons (Dome only 14 yrs old)

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 07:19 AM
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- It is only 14 years old and has played host to two Super Bowl games, the Olympics and multiple NCAA Final Fours, but in the estimation of Atlanta Falcons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=atl) owner Arthur Blank, the Georgia Dome is a facility fast becoming obsolete.

That's especially true in a league where owners have relied increasingly on stadium-generated revenues to fund fat free agent contracts and to maintain competitive balance. And so Blank, who first addressed his concerns about the Georgia Dome with an Atlanta Journal-Constitution columnist earlier this week, elaborated further with ESPN.com on Thursday, and confirmed that he feels a new venue is ultimately necessary for him to keep pace with his NFL brethren

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp06/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2532580

jamze132
09-07-2006, 07:54 AM
Well since we need a new stadium, can they pull the roof off and ship it to Buffalo?

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 08:02 AM
New Bills Stadium Downtown Buffalo!!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 08:02 AM

MAKE IT HAPPEN

I'm all over that idea. Right next to the lake.

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Yes but then Mike will complain he has to wait in traffic... :puke:

So help me god RED if we build that Bills mobile and they move I will be beyond PISSED!!!!

HHURRICANE
09-07-2006, 08:48 AM
My daughter is a huge football fan. I took her to the Falcons as a Christmas gift and to the season opener in Buffalo 9 months later. She couldn't believe the difference. It was like going to a Rock concert vs. the symphony. Basically the Georgia Dome blows compared to Rich Stadium. If I were Arthur Blank I'd be asking for a new stadium.

As far as Buffalo, it's time to put the stadium in dowtown Buffalo. Saving the City needs to start becoming a reality.

ICE74129
09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I can tell you right now, If the city and county officials are smart....they won't do a thing until they know who the new owner will be.

There is no reason for them to FURTHER tax the hard working citizens for a bond issue to fund a stadium if When ralph dies, the family sells the team to an owner that will move them. I feel that may be the main reason this hasn't started happening already.

Its also why I wish Ralph would quit being so selfish. And thats what it is, EGO and selfishness. Sell the damn team already. Ralph you aren't going to be able to run it (even if alive) in about 5 years anyway. If you are truely its biggest fan, then do the right thing. Put out a search for potential new owners. Pick a guy to sell it to, make him get with the state, county and city to make arrangements to STAY IN BUFFALO.

blackonyx89
09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
It should be like Dallas's Texas Stadium with the open hole and the rest is covered. I want to keep the winter factor for the Bills. Or make it retractable. That would work too.

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 09:15 AM
I can tell you right now, If the city and county officials are smart....they won't do a thing until they know who the new owner will be.

There is no reason for them to FURTHER tax the hard working citizens for a bond issue to fund a stadium if When ralph dies, the family sells the team to an owner that will move them. I feel that may be the main reason this hasn't started happening already.

Its also why I wish Ralph would quit being so selfish. And thats what it is, EGO and selfishness. Sell the damn team already. Ralph you aren't going to be able to run it (even if alive) in about 5 years anyway. If you are truely its biggest fan, then do the right thing. Put out a search for potential new owners. Pick a guy to sell it to, make him get with the state, county and city to make arrangements to STAY IN BUFFALO.
Agreed but wouldn't a new stadium make it more attractive for the team to stay? I suppose they don't have to build it before anything happens but at least have the funds in place to say "Hey if you keep the team here we are going to build you a new Stadium!"

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 09:17 AM
It should be like Dallas's Texas Stadium with the open hole and the rest is covered. I want to keep the winter factor for the Bills. Or make it retractable. That would work too.
I like this!

Dr. Lecter
09-07-2006, 09:17 AM

MAKE IT HAPPEN

The clean-up in the area would be expensive (Bethlehem Steel left a big huge mess), but if the infrastructure could be improved it would be a good idea. Right now that does not exists.

It would make my trip home shorter!

Dr. Lecter
09-07-2006, 09:18 AM

No dome or any part of a dome, retractable or not.

ICE74129
09-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Agreed but wouldn't a new stadium make it more attractive for the team to stay? I suppose they don't have to build it before anything happens but at least have the funds in place to say "Hey if you keep the team here we are going to build you a new Stadium!"

Exactly. I would have the process in the works to help a new owner want to keep the team here. You know how bad it would be if a new stadium started being built and a the new owner take the team elsewhere.

Start the process, start getting the property ready, Have Bids being taken to build the thing, start the process of raising funds, but DO NOT finallise anything nor start building until we know the new owner will stay.

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 09:49 AM
Blank is funding most of the money to build the stadium.

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Exactly. I would have the process in the works to help a new owner want to keep the team here. You know how bad it would be if a new stadium started being built and a the new owner take the team elsewhere.

Start the process, start getting the property ready, Have Bids being taken to build the thing, start the process of raising funds, but DO NOT finallise anything nor start building until we know the new owner will stay.
Perfect Plan!

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 10:54 AM
The Ralph is an antique. It either needs serious updates or a rebuild.

Did you know that the first game ever played at Ralph Wilson Stadium (RICH Stadium) was on the day I was born? Of course you didn't. I am legitamately as old as the Ralph. 33 years and counting.....

THATHURMANATOR
09-07-2006, 11:06 AM
It just received over a 120 million in renovations in like 99. I think it is a great stadium honestly. The whole key is if it has enough luxury boxes as the NFL no longer cares about the everyday fan. If they are going to invest on a stadium I say build a new one. NYS should help fund it and help Buffalo out for once.

RedEyE
09-07-2006, 11:19 AM
It just received over a 120 million in renovations in like 99. I think it is a great stadium honestly. The whole key is if it has enough luxury boxes as the NFL no longer cares about the everyday fan. If they are going to invest on a stadium I say build a new one. NYS should help fund it and help Buffalo out for once.

:bf1: