Why does everyone think our D is so good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Why does everyone think our D is so good?

Ok, let me start off by saying there are some things I like about this D. TKO, if he stays healthy, is a beast. Crowell is up and coming. The depth and athleticism of the DB's (excluding Coy Wire) is good. And Kyle Williams may be the steal of the draft.

But that being said, I think this D is in trouble.

First, this is a new system, and while it seems to fit most of the personnel well, it's going to take time for the players to get used to it. In preseason, the starters looked confused and there were several blown coverages. There were numerous holes in the zone. I fully expect this to improve as the season goes on, but in the meantime, I also expect this D to get lit up on multiple occasions.

Second, TKO. His injury is perhaps the toughest one to recover from. Sam Cowart, who had the same injury a few years back, was cut this past week. If this guy is 100% or even 80%, no problem. But there's no guarantee that he will be.

Third: Kelsay, Tim Anderson and Coy Wire could be STARTERS- wtf? These guys are a bunch of career underacheivers. Wire is on the team for ST and is not a good fit for this D. Anderson got pushed around by Detroit's scrubs in the last preseason game.

Fourth, and this is somewhat redundant- the DL. Tripplett is solid and Schobel's definitely above average, but Anderson and Kelsay suck. I'm not sure on McCargo yet and I like Williams, but this is a sub-par unit. They tend to go backwards on running plays, and the athleticism of our DB's will be a non-factor if the front 4 can't generate pressure. In preseason, the first teamers weren't exactly getting stood up on passing plays, but they always seemed to be a step too slow.

Fifth, Linebackers. TKO (if healthy), Fletcher, and Crowell may be one of the best starting LB corps in the league. But behind them is guys like Hunter and Digiorgio. There is no depth here. If the starters stay healthy, no problem. But one injury and this unit is screwed.

Taken together, this D is still a stud DT, a decent DE and depth at LB away from being good. I expect this D to tighten up a little over the course of the season, but it ain't gonna be pretty. Don't expect them to be able to get off the field and definitely don't expect them to win games for us like they did in 03 and 04.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Why does everyone think our D is so good?

Get ready for the Homer brigade dude..

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      Get ready for the Homer brigade dude..
      yeah I know.

I don't want to get into that homer/realist thing though. I think these are legit concerns about this D, and I'd like to see how the people who think highly of this D answer them.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• M
        • Aug 2006

Great? I don't know ... I'm just hoping they are better than last year!
        Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by CTBills97
          Great? I don't know ... I'm just hoping they are better than last year!
          I don't think the run D will be any better than last year.

The Pass D could be if the DL can generate a pass rush, which means Kelsay and at least one of the 4 DT's in the rotation (Anderson, Williams, McCargo, Tripplett) will really have to step it up.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• L.A. Playa
            • Aug 2003

Op I think people are optimistic because outside of Fletcher and Vincent every starter is young and appears to have potential to get better

A new scheme and a new attitude maybe just what the doctor ordered for these guys, when they lost Spikes last year it just took the wind out of the sails of the defense, I think being humbled from the point of this time last year bragging they where the best defense ever to finishing as one of the worst will also motivate them to do better.

People have hope that a new scheme and a fresh approach to coaching may actually motivate players to play up to and some exceed what is their percieved potential

every team is 0-0 and every team is alive for the playoffs that is why there is optimism nobody not even the most knowledgable expert can predict what will really happen once the ball is kicked off

Comment

• SquishDaFish
              Lets GO BUFFALO!!
              • Jun 2005

Ill wait to see a few reg season games before I say how its going to be. I agree on the depth though. If there is any major injuries we are in trouble.

Comment

• Stewie
                Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                • Aug 2002

I personally don't think our D will be very good at all. I wouldn't be surprised if our O ranks higher than our D at the end of the season.
                Originally posted by Topdog
                Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                Originally posted by mercyrule
                I love Weiner.
                Originally posted by mercyrule
                also cheese

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

I think the structure for a future good D is being put into place. I see we drafted our 2 future starting safeties in Whitner and Simpson. McGee stays and Greer or Youboty will replace Nate. McCargo and Williams instantly play in a 4 man rotation. Triplett is OK and Anderson played very well in the last 4 games. But if you wish to keep ragging on him, have at it. It means little to me. I can see his play.
                  Schobel is decent and Kelsay/Denney share the other side until we draft their replacement next year. They still are good depth after that.

The talented Crowell will be playing LB for a while but I realize TKO and London Ginger Baker Fletcher need replacements to be identied soon, just in case. Isn't this the last year of Fletchers contract ? He'll be 32, I believe.
                  I sure like the blazing speed of Ellison, the 6th rounder who seems to fit this D. He could play outside.

If some here have stated the D's going to be good now, they're taking a huge leap of faith. It's still a year away but I do like what I see. But the names WILL change and people need to realize it's still a work until they can settle in all the positions with youth. That's what new staffs do. Saying it's good or bad now is silly. We won't know for at least a year, while some current starters are replaced and the scheme is executed correctly.

Just move it along in the right direction in 2006 . That's all.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                    I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                    • Sep 2004

I'm sure we are a better defense now, than we were last year. You like dumb reporter said it last year, before the season started. "The Buffalo Bills are a better defense than the 2004 season defense, on paper". So, let's be that "paper defense" again (j/k).

Remove the old, no goal, and unhappy veterans from last year (Adams, Posey, Miloy), and add the youth, pride and willingness to be the super nfl star and earn the big bucks. That my friend, it is enough for me.
                    The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

IMO our D is better and thats mostly what I've red around here. We've upgraded but I have yet to read that it's "so good"
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        I don't think the run D will be any better than last year.

First time I've heard/read you say that.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• John Doe
                          Florida Man
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37

Fourth, and this is somewhat redundant- the DL. Tripplett is solid and Schobel's definitely above average, but Anderson and Kelsay suck. I'm not sure on McCargo yet and I like Williams, but this is a sub-par unit. They tend to go backwards on running plays, and the athleticism of our DB's will be a non-factor if the front 4 can't generate pressure. In preseason, the first teamers weren't exactly getting stood up on passing plays, but they always seemed to be a step too slow.
                          Let me get this straight: You like Triplett, Schobel, and Williams - 75% of our starters - but the line sucks.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                            and Anderson played very well in the last 4 games. But if you wish to keep ragging on him, have at it. It means little to me. I can see his play.
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by John Doe
                              Let me get this straight: You like Triplett, Schobel, and Williams - 75% of our starters - but the line sucks.
                              I don't believe Williams has been confirmed as a starter. But even if he is, the DL will be a rotation and Tim Anderson will get significant playing time. That will make it easy for Schobel and the other DT (Tripplett or McCargo, most likely) to get double teamed.

I like Schobel against the pass- not so much against the run. Tripplett is good but not dominant- if he has to pick up the slack for Anderson and Kelsay, he won't be able to do it.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X