• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Busy week in Indy...

Just wanted to let you all know that I haven't dropped off the face of the planet, last week/weekend was fairly busy, with some of our staff in Indy, some working on tapes, ect... anyway there were few surprises to report, some rumors floating around about PP, and a few other tidbits.

Anyway, after a brief run thru the site it looks like most of what I heard or saw at the combine was reported here... for example, there was much "water cooler" speculation about the Bills and what they'll do with PP.

It still was nice to get to meet some of the players, and get a feel for their abilities...

a few small points...

Thanks to the Bucs win in the super bowl, a premium has been placed on DL play, and as a result we will see a heavy interest by NFL teams to strengthen their DLs.

While I know its been reported that DL is a strength in this draft, I just don't see it... The depth (amount of B grade players) at DE is deeper this year (last year's draft had little depth), however the DE quality (number of true blue chippers) doesn't match last years draft, which makes the two drafts a wash for comparison... meanwhile both the quality and quantity isn't there for the DT's this year. Last year we saw 4 DTs (and 6 DL total) go in the first 15 picks; we shouldn't see that this year.

As a result, the Bills may have a good find fall to them in the second round at DE... unfortunately I can read the winds fairly well, and I think there might be a run on DLmen of all shapes and sizes this year, causing many players to be picked well above their actual value... and leaving bare pickings when we get to the board.

Kyle Boller (QB) probably improved his lot the most with the combine, he wasn't even in my top 5 QBs going into Indy, but he showed so good (with the senior bowl and his physical workout at the combine) he might have eaked his way into the late first early second round. Personally, I wasn't that impressed as some appeared to be (I have him rated 4th on my list of QBs), but to each his own I guess…

The buzz for the week was supplied when Deon Sander's combine record (in the 40 yard dash) was broke by Justin Fargas (RB, USC) who ran a 4.28 40, and probably catapulted himself into contention for a first day selection.

The OLB position is full of fast/quick athletes, and Boss Bailey secured a first round selection at Indy (maybe a top 10)… he has run one of the fastest 40times (didn't run in Indy), and had a 48inch vertical leap (NBA quality, and if true is by far the best at the combine from what I could see) and to give you an idea what the league is saying about him, I’ve heard him compared favorably to Derrick Brooks… the MLB post on the other hand is a little disappointing as there is not much after Henderson.
    Last edited by Ingtar33; 02-26-2003, 12:20 AM.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!
  • Romes
    • Jul 2002

Thanks for the update Ing.

What where some of the rumors floating around about PP?
    Originally posted by paladin warrior
    RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

Same stuff that’s here... you know, Bills franchised him to be traded or signed... Atl being interested in trading for Price... I heard people speculate that the Bills wouldn't trade Price without a king’s ransom, and others say that there would be no king’s ransom because the draft and FA were thick with quality WR...

As I said, the same stuff that’s here.
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

oh yah... one small thing...

The guy Boller replaced in my top 5 QBs was Ken Dorsey... Dorsey, unfortunately for him, probably ruined his chance at getting drafted at all with his poor throwing display at the combine... and I must admit his throwing surprised me, because I had him pegged as a sure 3rd rounder and have seen him 5 times now in his career. This is one of the more egregious and embarrassing talent evaluating mistakes in my career, and I thank god it was one I never actually made (since my opinion hasn’t led to a bad draft pick)…

Personally, I still think he has what it takes to make it in the NFL (as a WCO QB), but when coupling his poor arm strength with poor accuracy... it will be hard for an NFL team to use a draft pick on him.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog
          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Knowing the Bills weaknesses on Dand knowing what value will probably be available- who do you see / hope the Bills have a shot at in Rd #2?

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

BTW- Nice report!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

Well, this is kinda a wild pick, but I don't think there will be a good enough DE or DT left on the board when the Bills pick to justify a second rounder... which leaves three possible positions OLB, FS, and TE...

OLB would be my first guess, and if he lasts this long I think the Bills could go for Bradie James (OLB, LSU), who has a fast lateral game, plays WLB, and sheds blockers... he reminds me of Sam Cowart (about the same size/speed, and block shedding ability). Furthermore he's a smart guy, and would be an asset. TD is known for taking smart good guys, and tends to shy from underclassmen, which makes a James selection a lock (if he lasts this long).

If James is gone, I can't see the Bills taking an OLB (as while I like the depth, I think a high/mid second might be too high for most of the rest of the OLBs as there are a lot of them who should go in the third round).

So that leaves FS and TE...
              I think the Bills would lean towards a FS, as I'm not a fan of this year's TE after Teyo Johnson (who wouldn't last till round two). That would leave a strange pick, Rashean Mathis (D1-AA) who I feel would be a sort of project FS... He's fast and ideal size for an NFL FS, can catch (had 14 INTs last season, a D1-AA record) was division 1-AA defensive player of the year, and is an amazing kick returner.

Of course this is all fortune teller stuff…
              Last edited by Ingtar33; 02-25-2003, 01:14 AM.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Romes
                • Jul 2002

Hey Ingtar,

I was talking with SoCal the other day and he was saying that if we pick a FS with our 2nd round pick that we take a look at Troy Paluamala. What are your assesments of him? Would he fit in our system?
                Originally posted by paladin warrior
                RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

IMHO: There is no way Troy would fall to the second round (and before you ask the same goes for Doss)

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• venis2k1
                    Youboty can hope
                    • Jul 2002

Where do you see Colin Cole going???

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                      Expert on Experts
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                      IMHO: There is no way Troy would fall to the second round
                      a guy can dream can't he?

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

Cole... oh you’re testing my memory now... Iowa right?

If I recall correctly, He's a classic tweener (DE/DT), small for an NFL DT, a bit big/slow for DE... he has struggled with injuries, and has a good first step. Probably late second day, as I don't think I remember anything remarkable about him.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

a guy can dream can't he?
                          sure can... hey, you're aren't wrong, he's a great player. The only knock on him is his size... I'm not sure what type of a fit he'd been here anyway as he is more of a SS.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• shelby
                            The Vanilla admin
                            • Jul 2002

Ingtar!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

What is the fascination with TE's ?

Comment