• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Who says the Fins looked bad?

Not me.

Dont get me wrong, I hate the Fins with a passion and will NEVER root for them to win anything other than a trip to the NFL cellar.

But, if you look at their performance with an unbiased view, they played pretty well as far as Im concerned.

Wes Welker was a one man highlight real. Looks alot like Steve Tasker to me.

The Fins D looked strong. Pitt has the best o-line in the league and a helluva young RB. Yet, the Fins pretty much shut them down on the run. Yes, Parker ripped off a few long runs, but a team with a OL that good and a RB that productive should have ran all over the field on them, they didnt.

The Fins put up plenty of 3 and outs.

Culpepper looked like typical Culpepper. He will drill some in there making you think they have grabbed a superstar, and then he throws some rookie throws for int's. He doesnt scare me at all.

Im saying it now, Ronnie Brown was the biggest bust in that draft.

Overall, thsi was a team that went into Pitt against the world champs and went toe to toe with them right up till the end. Furthermore, they showed great ST, and strong at times defense.

I cant agree with anyone saying they look like chumps (as long as I look at it unbiased). Now, if I look at it as a Bills fan, they are ALWAYS the leagues biggest chumps!!!

• THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Who says the Fins looked bad?

If this was an assesment of the first half I am totally with you. Also I am not one saying the Phins still can't be a division winner, but they collapsed in the second half!

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
      Registered Fish
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by jp-era
      Not me.

Dont get me wrong, I hate the Fins with a passion and will NEVER root for them to win anything other than a trip to the NFL cellar.

But, if you look at their performance with an unbiased view, they played pretty well as far as Im concerned.

Wes Welker was a one man highlight real. Looks alot like Steve Tasker to me.

The Fins D looked strong. Pitt has the best o-line in the league and a helluva young RB. Yet, the Fins pretty much shut them down on the run. Yes, Parker ripped off a few long runs, but a team with a OL that good and a RB that productive should have ran all over the field on them, they didnt.

The Fins put up plenty of 3 and outs.

Culpepper looked like typical Culpepper. He will drill some in there making you think they have grabbed a superstar, and then he throws some rookie throws for int's. He doesnt scare me at all.

Im saying it now, Ronnie Brown was the biggest bust in that draft.

Overall, thsi was a team that went into Pitt against the world champs and went toe to toe with them right up till the end. Furthermore, they showed great ST, and strong at times defense.

I cant agree with anyone saying they look like chumps (as long as I look at it unbiased). Now, if I look at it as a Bills fan, they are ALWAYS the leagues biggest chumps!!!
      Pretty much agree with you except for a few details:

1. The defense disappointed me a bit. They held up early but beginning late in the 2nd quarter, Parker had decent room to run. Also too many mistakes in the secondary. The 87 yard TD was a back breaker.

2. Culpepper was pretty solid. The first INT was a bad decision but Troy P. is a great player and made a play. If you noticed, Chambers was two steps past the CB and its a TD if Troy P. doesn't make the play. The 2nd INT was a great play by Porter. He lined up over McMichael looking like he was going to rush the passer. Instead he drops into coverage and looks to be covering McMichael. His first few steps, he is covering McMichael. McMichael breaks in and should draw Porter with him. Porter breaks out instead, right into the passing lane. Perhaps Culpepper is telegraphing his passes, but Porter made a heads up play. All in all, it was good to see Culpepper making throws and moving around well. I'm not concerned.

3. Ronnie Brown had little room to run but still showed some power and ellusiveness. If the OL improves (or faces weaker DLs), Brown will be fine. He does seem a bit tentative though.

With 6 minutes to go in the game, the Fins had traded punches with a very good team and were winning. At that point it could have gone either way. Pitt's key players made plays when they needed them (Troy P, Porter, Parker, Miller, Ward).

IMO, the Fins are not at the elite level yet, but we are closer than we were last season at this point in the season. I still see 10-6 or 11-5 this season.

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
        Registered Fish
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
        If this was an assesment of the first half I am totally with you. Also I am not one saying the Phins still can't be a division winner, but they collapsed in the second half!
        ?? they were losing at the half and took the lead in the 2nd half. They had the lead until a blown coverage allowed the 87 yard TD. They wore down in the 4th quarter but until then, they played the Steelers tough.

I dismiss any whining about the refs. The Steelers deserved to win.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FinFaninBuffalo
          ?? they were losing at the half and took the lead in the 2nd half. They had the lead until a blown coverage allowed the 87 yard TD. They wore down in the 4th quarter but until then, they played the Steelers tough.

I dismiss any whining about the refs. The Steelers deserved to win.
          I am aware of that but I felt is was a closely played first half. Both teams came out in the second chance with an equal chance to win. That is all you can ask for in a road game. Then the second half was a total collapse. Why the question marks? What don't you understand?

Comment

• L.A. Playa
            • Aug 2003

Miami looked good for 3 1/2 Qtrs defensively and in the passing game, they made too many mistakes down the stretch though

Comment

• FinFaninBuffalo
              Registered Fish
              • Aug 2006

I am aware of that but I felt is was a closely played first half. Both teams came out in the second chance with an equal chance to win. That is all you can ask for in a road game. Then the second half was a total collapse. Why the question marks? What don't you understand?
              I don't understand how you can claim that the seocnd have was a total collapse. They took the lead in the 3rd quarter with their best drive of the game. They had 3 drives of over 50 yards in the game. Two of those were in the 2nd half.

The problems started on defense mid-way through the 3rd quarter with the long drive that ended in the fumble. The offense had the chance to take control but the 3rd down and 2 play was terrible. If they score on that drive, Pitt is in trouble. 1 play later, Pitt is ahead.

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

I don't understand how you can claim that the seocnd have was a total collapse. They took the lead in the 3rd quarter with their best drive of the game. They had 3 drives of over 50 yards in the game. Two of those were in the 2nd half.

The problems started on defense mid-way through the 3rd quarter with the long drive that ended in the fumble. The offense had the chance to take control but the 3rd down and 2 play was terrible. If they score on that drive, Pitt is in trouble. 1 play later, Pitt is ahead.
                you answered your own question.

maybe not the second half, but certainly the 4th quarter.
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

I think teh Fins looked pretty good my self. And I hate tos ay that....The thing that I dont like at all is they have 9 days to prepare for Buffalo and we have to go down there in the 90+ degree heat. THATS SCARY
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                    • Jul 2002

Well I never said the entire second half was a collapse. I didn't think it needed to be spelled out, however the total collapse did occur in the second half.. Maybe I should have said 4th quarter. Sorry.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Well I never said the entire second half was a collapse. I didn't think it needed to be spelled out, however the total collapse did occur in the second half.. Maybe I should have said 4th quarter. Sorry.
                      Don't apologize. They sucked.

Comment

• carybillsfan
                        • Aug 2003

Let's see they let a backup Qb throw 3TD's, rushed for 38yards(2.1yd/rush avg) while allowing the Steelers to rush for 143(3.8yd/rush). Their Qb threw 2 picks at a crucial juncture, one directly resulting in a TD. Converted only 5-13 3rd downs. You're right they were freakin awesome!!!! Every team should be worried. Miami is an average team at best they do not belong in the same class as the elite teams. Oh yeah an let a TE catch an 87yd TD pass, great defensive playing on that won.

Comment

• carybillsfan
                          • Aug 2003

Oh I forgot one, their coach throws the replay flag like a girl. Damn sissy.

Comment

• bernielivsey_1
                            • Jul 2003

My opinion is blinded by my hate for the fins and Kaptain trick play. They looked horrible. Batch looked like a starter against that defence.
                            In Marv We Trust
                            The Past Is Now The Future

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                              short bus extraordinaire
                              • Jul 2002

the Fish didn't look bad overall.it was The Turnover Machine who had the meltdown in the 4th quarter.

Turnover Machine
                              Originally posted by yordad
                              Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

Working...
                              X