X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xXSpIkes5IXx
    • Mar 2006

We should have kicked that field goal

When you are on the road against a good team, keeping the momentum and keeping the crowd in their seats is key. On that 4th and 1 play, we had the momentum, and we would have kept it with that field goal. Instead, we went with a high risk high reward play, and we didnt make it. Swinging the momentum the opposite way, and giving the crowd something to cheer about. Granted if we had gotten the first down, we had a chance to go up 3 scores, but there was still a ton of time left for a patriot comeback anyway.

As soon as i saw that we were going for it, i got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Granted i wouldnt be *****ing about this had we gotten the first. I just say on the road against a good team you take your points when you can, and let the defense, who was playing very well at that point, do the work.
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: We should have kicked that field goal

I totally disagree. As an offense we should be able to squeeze out one friggin' yard especially with a so called elite RB. A team like New England you have to keep stabbing in the heart until you're sure their dead and not leave them any openings to come back. Dick showed he has a killer instinct as a coach and had we gotten that TD it would have been game over. (Barring the usual NE 4th quarter officiating help.) If Mularkey was still coaching we'd have kicked it but I believe going for the kill then on the road was the right thing to do.

Comment

• Marvelous
      • Feb 2004

I agree 100% !!!!

My wife pointed out right away that it's easy to say that when you don't get it, but WE both we're saying it before the attempt....The fact is it woulda put points on the board AND most importantly NE has such a diesel front 4. It's NO coincidence that NE had momentum from then on. That 3 points woulda changed the outcome of the game in some way..<
      BTW--I odnt't blame JP on the safety.Atleast not the key factor in the play.. Gandy got SO OWNED!! WTF was JP supposed to do? Atleast he held the ball. That 1st rusher came at him like a monster and almost killed the kid... The 0-LINE struggled today. I don't know right now who else strugled besides Gandy, but i'll focus when i rewatch....
      GO BILLS!!! NE
      Magical Trevor

Comment

• Meathead
        Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
        • Jul 2002

even if they had made the first down i would say its a mistake to take that chance

think about it: even if you make the first its only about 50/50 that you get a td, then youre right back at the fg. plus theres always the chance of a fumble or something, further lowering the odds from there

youve got about a 99% chance to get the fg from there, putting the pats down by 13

that extra three points CHANGES THE STRATEGY FOR THE FOURTH QUARTER

instead of playing for a fg now the pats have to take extra chances to go for the td

very very bad call
        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• odin
          • Aug 2006

Considering how well the offense was going, I thought it was the right call to go for it. You don't get it.. they are backed up... you make it, the game is over.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
            Maybe?
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Meathead
            very very bad call
            Nothing new ....

www.firedickjauron.com

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Marv
              It's NO coincidence that NE had momentum from then on.
              After the ref signaled first down New England, I turned to my brother in law and said, "Now watch them storm 90 yards down the field for a TD."

Sure enough, that's what happened.

It's the same as Mularkey throwing down in Miami last year.

You play it conservative on the road, you take your shots at home when you own the 12th man.

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by odin
                Considering how well the offense was going, I thought it was the right call to go for it. You don't get it.. they are backed up.
                That's key right there. Personally, I'm on the fence about the call..can see why they made the call...can see why they shouldn't. Thing is, even not making the call, we had them pinned back...should've stopped them...course we were missing some players...
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                  Maybe?
                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Billsology
                  After the ref signaled first down New England, I turned to my brother in law and said, "Now watch them storm 90 yards down the field for a TD."

Sure enough, that's what happened.

It's the same as Mularkey throwing down in Miami last year.

You play it conservative on the road, you take your shots at home when you own the 12th man.

Exactly.

Comment

• dplus47
                    • Sep 2005

i would only agree with going for it at home. on the road, it's too risky. i don't think it cost the bills the game, but it didn't help, and it did turn momentum. i assume jauron was thinking the players could turn it back around at some point, and they didn't.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                      • Mar 2005

Guys, 3 points was not going to win us the game. We needed 7. They had 5 at the end of the game. They just didn't kick the Field Goal because they didn't need to.

One other point. Up 10 or up 13 is still 2 possessions. We get 17 points and the game is over. It was the right call but poor execution. We went for the win. Better than MM going for the close loss. We played well. We can definately win this weekend against Miami and I think we will.

Comment

• Meathead
                        Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billsology
                        i swear to god i said it even before the bills snapped the ball
                        One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Billscusey
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by xXSpIkes5IXx
                          When you are on the road against a good team, keeping the momentum and keeping the crowd in their seats is key. On that 4th and 1 play, we had the momentum, and we would have kept it with that field goal. Instead, we went with a high risk high reward play, and we didnt make it. Swinging the momentum the opposite way, and giving the crowd something to cheer about. Granted if we had gotten the first down, we had a chance to go up 3 scores, but there was still a ton of time left for a patriot comeback anyway.

As soon as i saw that we were going for it, i got that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Granted i wouldnt be *****ing about this had we gotten the first. I just say on the road against a good team you take your points when you can, and let the defense, who was playing very well at that point, do the work.
                          I agree. I think we all got that "uh oh, the Bills are gonna do what they do best after this: blow it!" and that's exactly what happened. They needed to keep putting points on the board. They opened a small hole of doubt, and the Pats took advantage of it!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

If we had made it, no one would be talking about the decision at all. If our defense had stopped them, no one would be talking about this at all. If he would have kicked the field goal and we lost by 3, everyone would be talking about how he didn't have the balls to go for it on 4th and short.
                            Six of one, half a dozen of the other. It was his call and from there, it's all about execution. NE stopped it...barely...and it is what it is.
                            Dick Jauron had his team looking much more prepared in the first half than the great Belichick had his.

Comment

• jamze132
                              Don’t hate…
                              • Jun 2003

I agreed with the call as I was yelling at the tv to go for it. What pissed me the **** off more than anything was McGahee dancing around like he was in ****in "Grease" behind the line of scrimage. If he takes the ball and just charges forward, he gets the ONE YARD needed. Who knows if the Patsies would have pulled out the win then.

I am not going to blame Losman for anything that happened bad today, he played about as well as he could given the fact that the O-line kind of sucked today.

Once again, the Bills failed to make the necessary adjustments at halftime as NE relentlessly blitzed. Gandy looked silly.

And don't even get me started with Coy ****in Wire!

Comment

Working...
                              X