PDA

View Full Version : Add Clemons to the solid group of FA linebackers...

Tatonka
02-25-2003, 10:07 AM
Saints | Clemons To Void Out - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
7:20 PT: The Times Picayune reports New Orleans Saints LB Charlie Clemons said he will exercise his right to void the last year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent by Friday. Saints officials said they don't plan to re-sign Clemons. He rejected a multi-year offer from Saints officials in mid-season, 2002. "You hate to leave money on the table," Clemons' co-agent Brooks Henderson said Monday. "But we had concerns about the structure of the deal."

he is a good player.. not sure if he would fit our scheme, but it is still one more good lb.. the more their are.. the less they can command.:squish:

colin
02-25-2003, 11:08 AM
We are gonna get some freaking bargains. Jerky Cincy better let Spikes go to us, his value is dropping.

clumping platelets
02-25-2003, 11:48 AM
Clemons is more an inside player I believe. If he can play WOLB.....great :)

TigerJ
02-25-2003, 11:52 AM
I don't think TD is that likely to make a play for Spikes as long as he wears the transition tag. TD himself pointed out the risk. Once an offer is tendered to Cincinnati, the Bungles have a full week to decide whether or not to match. Cincinnati would almost certainly wait the full seven days. If Buffalo tendered an offer, then they would have to wait before they could resume any significant FA activity. If the Bungles then match after a week, Buffalo has lost that time, and quite possibly the chance to sign several good free agents. It's a risky way to go when you don't need to even if Spikes is the best LB out there.

don137
02-25-2003, 12:08 PM
The best part about this is that even though he may or may not fit into our scheme it adds talent to the FA pool. The more talent there is at certain positions will bring down the value of some players because there is more supply so players might not get the money they demand especially after a few players are signed. For example, there may be 3 or 4 good players left at a position but only one or two teams left competing for these players so they can be had for cheaper.

WG
02-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Great points Tiger and 137!!

Also, don't forget that LBs values were way down over the past year or two. Other than the top couple of guys, they generally got little compared to CBs and DL-men. The big money goes to DEs, DTs, and good cover CBs. Teams know that the DL is the key to a good D, not LBs.

Tatonka
02-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by don137
The best part about this is that even though he may or may not fit into our scheme it adds talent to the FA pool. The more talent there is at certain positions will bring down the value of some players because there is more supply so players might not get the money they demand especially after a few players are signed. For example, there may be 3 or 4 good players left at a position but only one or two teams left competing for these players so they can be had for cheaper.

that was the point i was trying to make too..

don137
02-26-2003, 10:05 AM
I read that that Browns might not pay Earl Holmes his roster bonus thus cutting th player. Add in Jamir Miller and his bum knee and there are two more linebackers for free agancy. If I recall there was a plethora of good linebackers last year for FA.