PDA

View Full Version : How are Notre Dame's opponents selected?

Billscusey
09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey college football fans. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on how Notre Dame's football opponents are selected each year, since they have no conference attachment. Thnaks!

DraftBoy
09-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey college football fans. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on how Notre Dame's football opponents are selected each year, since they have no conference attachment. Thnaks!

Lots are just based on tradition (michigan, navy, gt, psu, usc, mich st, purdue, stanford) some of those games arent every year (gt, psu) but very few open dates are ever on the ND schedule. Im not sure how the open date opponents are selected.

Dozerdog
09-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Just like everyone else who plays non conference games- they pick up the phone and call another team.

I can't figure out Navy- it's like they owe them a favor for keeping them on the schedule during WW2.

USC is a traditional game going back to Knute Rockne, and TV gives them a ton of money to keep it going.

Purdue make sense- interstate rival

The rest are set up either as cupcakes to pad a schedule, or set up by TV Sports directors at networks and school AD's.

Ebenezer
09-11-2006, 08:09 AM
those are mostly correct...

UM, MSU, Purdue and USC are always on the schedule. I think Stanford is always there too. They always play at least 2 of the armed forces (this year it is three). By contract with the Big East (where ND plays all the rest of its sports) it must play at least 1 team from that conference (I believe it is on a rotating basis amongst the teams of the conference and I think it rotates home and away). That leaves 2 or 3 other games to schedule. This year it was UNC, GT and UCLA (making a 12 game schedule this year). The games are scheduled some years in advance and are not reflective of the current teams as far as diffuculty. Those games are always against Div-1A schools and almost always a major university. I don't recall them playing a Div-1AA or lower team, ever. The chances of a team like UB getting a game against ND??? Incredibly slim.

R. Rich
09-11-2006, 11:22 AM
those are mostly correct...

UM, MSU, Purdue and USC are always on the schedule. I think Stanford is always there too. They always play at least 2 of the armed forces (this year it is three). By contract with the Big East (where ND plays all the rest of its sports) it must play at least 1 team from that conference (I believe it is on a rotating basis amongst the teams of the conference and I think it rotates home and away). That leaves 2 or 3 other games to schedule. This year it was UNC, GT and UCLA (making a 12 game schedule this year). The games are scheduled some years in advance and are not reflective of the current teams as far as diffuculty. Those games are always against Div-1A schools and almost always a major university. I don't recall them playing a Div-1AA or lower team, ever. The chances of a team like UB getting a game against ND??? Incredibly slim.

Your "formula" didn't take into account the Penn State game, Einstein. Guess you don't moonlight as either the president, SID, or AD of "that school" after all.

eyedog
09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
They are an independant and their AD can schedule a game with anyone they wish. I haven't heard of any contract obligation with the Big East. Yes they have certain teams on their schedule evey year and it is made 3-4 years in advanced.
A team like UB has absolutely no chance of playing ND. Money.

R. Rich, Youngstown St. ???? C'mon at least play a 1-A team.

DraftBoy
09-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Your "formula" didn't take into account the Penn State game, Einstein. Guess you don't moonlight as either the president, SID, or AD of "that school" after all.

Penn State and Georgia Tech are both games Notre Dame has played regularily and has mini rivalries with. Those are not just filler games.

Dozerdog
09-16-2006, 07:53 AM
When you schedule Army & Navy you don 't need to schedule Buffalo

DraftBoy
09-17-2006, 04:13 PM
When you schedule Army & Navy you don 't need to schedule Buffalo

While these are the cupcakes in Notre Dame's schedule they are also on a contractual base. And have been for many decades. When these teams first began playing both Army and Navy had formidable teams and they were decent games. Since then the programs have fallen flat and now its a charity game to get the armed service program TV money and exposure. It sure isnt scheduled because of a rivalry or because of competition.