• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Jauron's Post-Game "Freudian Slip" About JP

Unless JP Losman absolutely falls apart or gets injured during the course of this season, forget about anyone else seeing much playing time as the Bills starting QB.

If you listen closely to HC Dick Jauron's comments about JP Losman during his post-game press conference (I have problems with the videos on BB.com, so I don't know about the video of the press conference because I listened to the podcast--URL: http://www.buffalobills.com/podcast/index.xml -slide down the page and click on 9.10 POSTGAME: Head Coach Dick Jauron to open the podcast), you will note that, at one point, in responding to a question about JP, Jauron made a very revealing "Freudian Slip" before catching himself and answering the question in a different, less revealing manner.

As he starts answering the question about Losman's performance and mistakes in the game, Jauron praises JP and then--and this is the key part--says "we're just going to have to live...." At that point Jauron catches himself before finishing the line ("...and die with him") and starts to address the subject again. It is a classic "Freudian Slip" that reveals Jauron's uncensored feelings about his young QB that any psychologist with any professional experience would immediately jump on and interpret in this manner (I say that based on my own experience in the profession).

Listen to it yourself and see if you don't come up with the same conclusion that I did: that Jauron has made a committment to Losman as his QB and, because he likes what JP can do and knows that JP is inexperienced and still has a lot to learn, is willing to "live" and "die" with him as his QB, knowing that he is going to make some mistakes, like allowing himself to get tackled for a safety by the Pats, etc. If that's the case, Nall and Holcomb are unlikely to see much playing time, let alone time as the starting QB, this season unless JP's game falls apart completely or he gets injured.

And, that, IMHO, will probably be a great bit of news and a comfort to most Bills fans. Especially those who don't want to see a repeat of last year's disastrous handling of the Bills' QB situation by the now-departed coaching staff.

P.S.: For the uninitiated: in the early days of the study of psychology, Dr. Sigmund Freud correctly pointed out that, in responding to a question, at times an individual will unintentionally say something or start to say something without thinking or censoring it first and then, hearing it as he/she is saying it, stop and answer the question in a different, more calculated manner--Freud theorized and years of testing his idea has proved that the comment that the individual began to make and then stopped was more revealing of the individual's true, inner thoughts, feelings and/or beliefs than anything else that the individual said in response to that question. As a result, listening for a "Freudian Slip" has become one of the first techniques that a psychologist-in-training learns. Most psychologists, even many who do not agree with Freud on many other things, give a great deal of weight to a "Freudian Slip" whenever they hear one from a client.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Jauron's Post-Game "Freudian Slip" About JP

cool becuase this is what needs to happen. JP needs the entire season (if he remains healthy) to develope.

Last year he got his 1st real taste of NFL football, and this year he has shown dramatic improvement. Enough improvement IMO that demonstrates there is more improvement coming.

I am very content with what I see from JP this year, and I hope the team around him improves right along with him.

Comment

Working...
    X