PDA

View Full Version : The Whitner Interception

onceproudbillsfan
09-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Its funny ive watched espn and nfl network highlights last night and neither one shows Whitner intercepting Bradys pass. I dont know if they are trying to cover the refs ***es or if they just dont want to show that Brady isnt the best qb that makes no mistakes. This play could have been big without the controversial call.

ddaryl
09-11-2006, 05:33 AM
ESPN caters to big markets now, as it is the big markets that have the larger populations and in return give advertisers the a better opportunity to get there products seen. So when it's time to cut out the high lights you can bet small market teams that aren't bonafide playoff contenders get there highlights cut. Since ESPN is about 80% owned by Disney who is a public company traded on the stockmarket, it's there job to maximize shareholder value and profits, not be fair in there reporting and cater to smaller market needs IMO. Why do you think ESPN gives the NHL the major shaft?

then there is my 2nd theory that says big markets owners like Snyder, and Jones have it in for Buffalo and Ralph and are buttering up ESPN with incentives to play down anything Buffalo.

and of course since there were some questionable calls favoring NE they wouldn't want that to distract anyone from there love affair with Brady and Co.

All more reason to not really support ESPN if you can avoid it IMO.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Its funny ive watched espn and nfl network highlights last night and neither one shows Whitner intercepting Bradys pass. I dont know if they are trying to cover the refs ***es or if they just dont want to show that Brady isnt the best qb that makes no mistakes. This play could have been big without the controversial call.

I noticed this, too. Even on ESPN's NFL Blitz where they showed several highlights from all of the games, they chose to show Dillon's 4th down conversion that allowed the Pats to run out the clock without even a mention of the Whitner interception or the penalty that negated the TD that would have given the Bills the lead. The networks that cover the NFL are all very careful not to be too critical of the refs or show plays where the calls were controversial, but that was a HUGE play that impacted the score and perhaps the outcome of the game.

I think you have touched on both reasons for why we are not likely to see or hear any mention of that play, though.

LtBillsFan66
09-11-2006, 10:01 AM
How convenient. ESPN is an entertainment business with conflicts of interest, not a sports journalism channel.

L.A. Playa
09-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I had the Denver STL game in my market, I expected a highlight when the Bills scored their first TD, CBS didnt come wit ha Highlight of the Bills Pats game until the Pats scored and didnt even bother to show the TD the Bills scored just said the game was 7-7

kinigirly
09-11-2006, 10:05 AM
all i've seen on tv and read on the internet is "patriots handle the pressure better than jp losman" what?! every single story i read was 95% what the patriots did and the last 5% of the story was on the bills mistakes. people don't want to like us and never will

ublinkwescore
09-11-2006, 10:06 AM
You guys know what - it's truly TRULY tragic, but I don't see the Bills surviving in Buffalo too much longer - It's because of the NFL and it's interests and those of TV Networks that cover the NFL. they're all too busy going after the almighty dollar instead of what this sport should truely be about - fair competition and any given sunday and stuff like that - but that's all gone now.

ublinkwescore
09-11-2006, 10:07 AM
How convenient. ESPN is an entertainment business with conflicts of interest, not a sports journalism channel.

:posrep:

Jan Reimers
09-11-2006, 10:09 AM
We won't get any respect until we begin to win consistently again, and even then it will be minimal.

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe if the Bills had won more than 20 games total in the past 3 years, they'd get some media coverage. Until they stop sucking, nobody will care, besides Bills fans, what they do.

Devin
09-11-2006, 10:13 AM
I just wanted to see Ngata's 60 yard INT return, they still havent shown it on NFL network.

L.A. Playa
09-11-2006, 10:15 AM
It was on there on their highlight show

LtBillsFan66
09-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Maybe if the Bills had won more than 20 games total in the past 3 years, they'd get some media coverage. Until they stop sucking, nobody will care, besides Bills fans, what they do.
I agree, but it was a critical part of the game that should have been covered in the highlights.

ublinkwescore
09-11-2006, 10:26 AM
We won't get any respect until we begin to win consistently again, and even then it will be minimal.

It's gonna be really hard to do that with the refs in Bob Kraft's pockets.

BuffaloBillsStampede
09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
This league really is getting ridiculous at this point with media coverage, and how obviously they play favorites. It makes it very hard to pull that 50 bucks out of your pocket for each home game.

ICE74129
09-11-2006, 10:45 AM
Guys, where is ESPN located? Nuff said

Devin
09-11-2006, 10:57 AM
It was on there on their highlight show

Just saw :up:

"Rumblin....Bumblin......Stumblin.......I'm hungry"

:rofl: that Rich Eisen is so wacky.

Mr. Pink
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Maybe here's the reason the Whitner INT wasn't shown on highlights....It didn't have anything to do with the final score nor change anything of the outcome of the game. Just a thought. It ended up being a mere speed bump in the Pats attempt at running out clock.

LtBillsFan66
09-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Maybe here's the reason the Whitner INT wasn't shown on highlights....It didn't have anything to do with the final score nor change anything of the outcome of the game. Just a thought. It ended up being a mere speed bump in the Pats attempt at running out clock.
It had everything to do with the outcome of the game. The penalty too away a TD.

Historian
09-11-2006, 11:06 AM
I've grown weary with:

The Mannings.
Owens.
Brushci.
Is Brett Farve done?
The fish are goint to the Super Bowl.

It gets old really quick...game after game...season after season.

Mr. Pink
09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
It had everything to do with the outcome of the game. The penalty too away a TD.

Well generally when you push someone from behind so he can't make a square up tackle, it's a penalty. Without the illegal block to the back Whitner comes nowhere near scoring, considering he had to hurdle over the guy who was pushed to the ground.

Considering it was a blatant obvious call, you can't sit and say that should have been a TD. And since it wasn't a TD, it had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Hence why in a 2 minute or less highlight wrap up of the game, it's unimportant to show.

People need to get off this "we're a small market team so we get automatically get screwed" kick.

bledslow
09-11-2006, 11:31 AM
funtimesyay just layed down some MASSIZE OWNAGE to the completely clueless ones who only see what they want to see---i can think of a number of calls(or should i say non calls) that went completely against the pats and in favor of the bills

BillsOwnAll
09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
I seen it on Sportscenter. And they showed the INT and as whitner is runnign it back they say "oooh clements you cant do that" and it shows it real quick no slow mo or anything cuase he didnt even touch the guy. The guy was going to tackle whitner thats why he fell. BS

Jan Reimers
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Not to mention the inadvertant whistle when Whitner was a good two feet in bounds. How can you call a play dead when the guy is not even close to the sideline?

mybills
09-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Not to mention the inadvertant whistle when Whitner was a good two feet in bounds. How can you call a play dead when the guy is not even close to the sideline?
It's ok, the ref's actually confirm to every fan of every team, that we are NOT as BAD as the media originally thought when they do chit like this.
Thanks, refs! :up:

mysticsoto
09-11-2006, 12:13 PM

And this is a big deal that was glossed over. Had their been no foul...would the ref have admitted a mistake and allowed the TD to count? Or would they have said, sorry we made a mistake, but no TD for you??? This could have been a massive controversial mistake by the refs. Luckily, they got out of it by the bull***** penalty call...

ublinkwescore
09-11-2006, 12:27 PM
It's ok, the ref's actually confirm to every fan of every team, that we are NOT as BAD as the media originally thought when they do chit like this.
Thanks, refs! :up:

Could you please elaborate on this post - it's kinda vague...

TigerJ
09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
The Bills can get the national recognition back. But it will take time and may include having to overcome some bad calls on the way. If they win, the media will have to acknowledge it.

mybills
09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Could you please elaborate on this post - it's kinda vague...
sure...if you're serious.
anyone who knows football, knows it was bogus, and that we got screwed out of a potentially scoring drive, which could have made the 2 points a moot point. This team is better than all of those clowns thought, and the refs only helped confirm that.
:respect:

ublinkwescore
09-11-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree - I've been saying prior to the game that we were gonna be pleasantly surprised - well, I was even though we lost.

Especially since every one was so willing to call Brady the second coming of Joe Montana after his "great preseason".

I can't wait til they come to our house - I'll guarantee a win by more than 2 points.