Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

My thoughts on the game...

(In no particular order)

1. Initial Gameplan... perfect!
    2. Unfortunately, half time adjustments are still missing in Buffalo
    3. Gave up on run too quickly in 2nd half
    4. JP looked poised and solid most of the game. I'm not angry at him for taking the safety. He played better than I expected
    5. Not sure if this is good or bad, I felt they underutilized JP's athletic ability. I didn't notice many designed bootlegs/rollouts
    6. When on the road, ahead and running well, you RUN on first down!
    7. Lack of downfield throwing attempts/play calls
    8. Start Anthony Thomas next week. He ran harder than McGahee in the first half
    9. For god sakes, teach WR's not to block in the back!
    10. Dick Jauron's presence on the sideline was good. He was cool and collected everytime they showed him pacing the sidelines. That shows confidence in what he is doing.
    11. Special Teams kick/punt coverage needs to improve
    12. Rian Lindell - DAMN! Nice Job!
    13. Mooreman - I hope it was just an off day
    14. O Line - I thought they played pretty well overall... much better than expected for week 1.
    15. TKO - For all of your smack talk this offseason, you sure weren't on the field much!
    16. Nate Clements got schooled yesterday.
    17. I hope to god that we have no more injuries in the LB core... our backups suck!
    18. I was semi pleased with the rookie performances in the secondary. Its a building year, so I am cool with giving these guys experience
    19. I thought that Williams played well on the DL
    20. I am fine with teh 4th and 1 going for it... I was NOT however, happy about the play call.

Feel free to provide feedback
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: My thoughts on the game...

I pretty much agree with you. I don't think we sucked at all for a rebuilding team, and what we could've done better at, we will improve on. I'm happy overall.
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

That about covers it, Pridester.

Except the part about your absence at the first two tailgates.

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Good analysis. Spikes suffered a slight hamstring injury and I think Willis hurt his ankle a little, but I think they'll be OK for the Fins. Also, I didn't like the play call on JP's sack. Why not run it, and if you don't make it, hope for a decent punt from Moorman - he was due.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

I think the defense deserves a lot of credit for yesterdays performance. Brady did not have any kind of rythym what so ever, I have to credit the secondary for making him hold the ball longer than he wanted too also the DE's did a great job applying pressure from the outside. I think the biggest problem on defense was over persuing. Especially while Maroney was out there is almost like the "speed" hurt them there, it didnt seem like anyone had solid enough footing to wrap him up.

JP's perfomance was ok, he played better than Brady and Bledsoe yesterday so thats a plus. I think containing him between the tackles right now is a good thing, when he matures a bit let him run around. But I will say I think the coaching staff did show a bit of lack of confidence in JP, hopefully as the season moves on they will allow him to take a few more chances.

Overall I was suprised by their intesity, and impressed by the defense.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• BillsNick
              • Jul 2003

I pretty much hated the 2nd half play calling. There were a few awful calls by the refs as well, but what else is new.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                • Jul 2002

My view on the game could be summed up in one simple sentence.

The Bills look like a much better team than I thought they would be in week 1.

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

My only concern about that gameboy, is the fact that we had 6 months to prepare for that game! Not only that... we didn't exactly look GOOD in the first half! Between the 4 fumbles we had, the bad snaps, the penalties, the missed tackles...

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

How is it we had 6 months to prepare? They lost and gained players and we had 21 new guys, a new staff, two new systems, a QB competition etc.

No, we had maybe 2 weeks to prepare against one of the greatest minds in the game....and still played them tougher than they have been played in awhile.

Comment

• M
                      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by BillsNick
                      I pretty much hated the 2nd half play calling. There were a few awful calls by the refs as well, but what else is new.
                      Our whole 2nd half seemed a little suspect. What bothers me is that on 4th and 1, Magahee admitted that he thought it was 3rd down? I'm not sure that should have mattered ... would he have tried harder if he thought it was a 4th down? And WHY didn't he know what down he was on?!?!!??! Crowd noise or not, concentration is key!
                      Let's Go Bills ... B B B B B B Bills!

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
                        My only concern about that gameboy, is the fact that we had 6 months to prepare for that game! Not only that... we didn't exactly look GOOD in the first half! Between the 4 fumbles we had, the bad snaps, the penalties, the missed tackles...
                        I know what you mean, but this personnel package and this staff has really only been together for a few weeks.
                        I didn't see some of the out of control stuff from the last two regimes, like asinine wasting of timeouts. There was one, but nothing like the last four years.
                        I forgive one bad snap and a few fumbles.

New England did have six months, and almost had their Hall of Fame QB beheaded on the first play.

All in all, I thought we looked under control, poised and well schemed.
                        A good base to build on, I think.

What I do not like is losing Takeo to a hammy and the all too regular Willis injury.

If McGahee cannot get throught a game without getting nicked, I think his value should be questioned.

(I really hope nobody misstates this view on Willis. I don't want him gone, I'm just getting a bit tired of these nearly constant tweaks)

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
                          (In no particular order)

1. Initial Gameplan... perfect!
                          2. Unfortunately, half time adjustments are still missing in Buffalo
                          3. Gave up on run too quickly in 2nd half
                          4. JP looked poised and solid most of the game. I'm not angry at him for taking the safety. He played better than I expected
                          5. Not sure if this is good or bad, I felt they underutilized JP's athletic ability. I didn't notice many designed bootlegs/rollouts
                          6. When on the road, ahead and running well, you RUN on first down!
                          7. Lack of downfield throwing attempts/play calls
                          8. Start Anthony Thomas next week. He ran harder than McGahee in the first half
                          9. For god sakes, teach WR's not to block in the back!
                          10. Dick Jauron's presence on the sideline was good. He was cool and collected everytime they showed him pacing the sidelines. That shows confidence in what he is doing.
                          11. Special Teams kick/punt coverage needs to improve
                          12. Rian Lindell - DAMN! Nice Job!
                          13. Mooreman - I hope it was just an off day
                          14. O Line - I thought they played pretty well overall... much better than expected for week 1.
                          15. TKO - For all of your smack talk this offseason, you sure weren't on the field much!
                          16. Nate Clements got schooled yesterday.
                          17. I hope to god that we have no more injuries in the LB core... our backups suck!
                          18. I was semi pleased with the rookie performances in the secondary. Its a building year, so I am cool with giving these guys experience
                          19. I thought that Williams played well on the DL
                          20. I am fine with teh 4th and 1 going for it... I was NOT however, happy about the play call.

Feel free to provide feedback
                          I agree with everything except maybe #8 McGahee.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                            • Aug 2005

I agree with everything except the crack back on Takeo. 1st play back and he brings the noise as promised and then he unfortunately gets injured which obviously isn't his fault. If he had been out there I am confident he would have been great all day.
                            SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• BillsNick
                              • Jul 2003

I'm pretty happy with A-Train's effort. He was a good pickup for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X