• Jul 2002

"I would like to have the decision back and kick it through."

case closed
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: "I would like to have the decision back and kick it through."

Considering they were on our 20 with two minutes left, they indeed would have beaten us with a FG.

And Dick seems to be going both ways: "It was the time of the game, how we'd taken it down the field, the down and distance ... I'd probably do it again," Jauron said. "I am sure I will do it again sometime, but hopefully it will work out better."
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

but meathead, wah wah wah, later he says:

"It was the time of the game, how we'd taken it down the field, the down and distance ... I'd probably do it again, I am sure I will do it again sometime, but hopefully it will work out better."

yeah right

you will never see him do it again in that spot. maybe outside the redzone. maybe within the three. but not at the seven with a long yard to go. it was the smart play to take the fg and it will always be the smart play. he will never do that again from that spot, guaranteed
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
        Considering they were on our 20 with two minutes left, they indeed would have beaten us with a FG.

And Dick seems to be going both ways: "It was the time of the game, how we'd taken it down the field, the down and distance ... I'd probably do it again," Jauron said. "I am sure I will do it again sometime, but hopefully it will work out better."
        You don't get it. Kicking the FG changes the rest of the game. Playcalling, momentum, emotion, etc.

It all changes.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

I feel it was the RIGHT Call. he was trying to show the OL he had faith in them. Too bad willis can't drive forward without falling over his own two feet.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
            • Sep 2003

What makes you think that New England wouldn't have gotten momentum from holding us to a FG down there? And that's assuming that we MAKE the FG - imagine the emotion if it was blocked?

No, when you have New England on the ropes, you go for the jugular. A TD gives you a three score lead. Game (a lot closer to being) over.
            "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              You don't get it. Kicking the FG changes the rest of the game. Playcalling, momentum, emotion, etc.

It all changes.
              Says who? Why? It's a measly Field goal. Three points. With 24:30 left to play, an eternity for the Pats. So what? Like that's gonna rattle the three-time champions. NE would not have had to do anything differently, and why should they? Momentum and emotion doesn't plug the run D, or keep us from getting torched by Watson and Faulk. All NE did was methodically exploit our weaknesses, and they would have done that FG or no FG. We had plenty of time to stop them, and failed. Momentum is a lame excuse for a breakdown on the D.

Only a TD would have "changed" the game, and maybe not even that.
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter

It all changes.
                ahh yes...the ripple effect.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

That is NOT what he was saying at all... Did you listen to the PC??

Even the article clearly explains it, did you bother to read the rest of the line you conveniently extracted your quote from?

Comment

• BAM
                    • Sep 2003

Too many what-ifs. Who cares we lost get over it people! Let's go beat the FINS.

Comment

• BAM
                      • Sep 2003

Says who? Why? It's a measly Field goal. Three points. With 24:30 left to play, an eternity for the Pats. So what? Like that's gonna rattle the three-time champions. NE would not have had to do anything differently, and why should they? Momentum and emotion doesn't plug the run D, or keep us from getting torched by Watson and Faulk. All NE did was methodically exploit our weaknesses, and they would have done that FG or no FG. We had plenty of time to stop them, and failed. Momentum is a lame excuse for a breakdown on the D.

Only a TD would have "changed" the game, and maybe not even that.
                      Good post right here!

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                        • Sep 2003

Does anyone remember last season? We were up 10 in the 4th quarter - and NE came down and scored 2 TDs to win. 13 points in the 3rd doesn't do squat, and you can't tell me that New England is going to get discouraged if we kick the FG. Holding us to a FG may have fired them up just as much.

A TD puts you three scores ahead - which makes it a ton harder.
                        "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

You can't get more momentum and emotion than what we got from the Brady fumble/TD on the very first play. And what does NE do? Come right back and march to a TD.

Momentum means jack squat against the Pats.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• mysticsoto
                            Too sober for this...
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by MikeInRoch
                            Does anyone remember last season? We were up 10 in the 4th quarter - and NE came down and scored 2 TDs to win. 13 points in the 3rd doesn't do squat, and you can't tell me that New England is going to get discouraged if we kick the FG. Holding us to a FG may have fired them up just as much.

A TD puts you three scores ahead - which makes it a ton harder.
                            You're assuming that the 4 and 1 would otherwise have led to a TD. We could have gotten the yard and then gone three and out and had to kick a field goal anyway. In no way does getting that 1 yard make an automatic TD.

I think we should have taken the FG. We were playing really well, and the momentum did change after this play and we were never able to get it back. I don't think the momentum would have changed if we had gotten 3 pts. It means we still scored something! Does this mean we win - No! We still had a quarter and a half to play or whatever. But the momentum swing may not have been there, and we might have been able to continue doing what we had been doing in the 1st half. Even if they had scored once they would be forced to score another TD. Is it beyond them - no. But we are not last years' team. Our Oline is better and perhaps we could have worked on the clock or done other things. Clearly, the momentum shift is what lost us the game...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

You can't get more momentum and emotion than what we got from the Brady fumble/TD on the very first play. And what does NE do? Come right back and march to a TD.

Momentum means jack squat against the Pats.
                              And yet, that's all they did for the rest of the 1st half...

Comment

Working...
                              X