PDA

View Full Version : Comments on the safety..

RedEyE
09-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I want some of you to understand that the safety was not all Losman's fault. The Bills were backed deep in their territory but not too deep. The COACHES made the call for a 5 step drop. Losman saw that both Evans and Price had one on one coverage on opposite sides. This was to be a long pass downfield.

Losman did as instructed, and in order for that deep pass to develop, it requires more time than the OL gave him.

He took the snap, made the drop, avoided the first blitzing Patriot and came head on into another after coming out of the first missed tackle.

Bottom line is the OL didn't hold up their end of the bargain, and the coaching staff miscalculated when required a 5 yard step. With both Price and Evans in single coverage, Losman should have read the defense better and changed the quickness of the play.

I think Losman saw the Pats secondary exposed, got excited about the opportunity and thought the line could hold thier own. Everything broke down at one time on that play.

In retrospect, Losman should have instead called the audible or a TO. The situation should have been more thoroghly evaluated, but truth is if Losman gets 1.5 more seconds in the pocket, that might have been 7 pts Buffalo for a nasty burn downfield.

The mismatch was there, they just couldn't make it happen.

These types of things will happen with a young and inexperienced team. I guarantee this will be one play that the coaches will look at through and through, and Losman has already stated that he's eager to see the tape on the play.

This will be corrected and I bet we don't see this happen again this season.

Philagape
09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
You're right, the OL failed miserably. Warren ate Villarial alive on the play. I don't think that will be fixed anytime soon.

L.A. Playa
09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
:10:

Coach Sal
09-11-2006, 11:14 AM
There's lot of blame to go around on that lpay. It wasn't one person's fault.

But what seems to have been forgotten is that the only reason we were backed up so deep was that there was a penalty on the kickoff return right before that play. It took the drive start from the 17 to the 8.

The two "blocking in the back" penalties late were huge (on the first down and the INT), but this one on the KO return was just as big and - along with not moving it on 1st and 2nd downs - directly led to the situation setting up the safety.

G. Host
09-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Comments from Vic Carucci:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9652744
The decisive play in this game was J.P. Losman being sacked in the end zone for a safety. ... Losman also should have been more aware of his place on the field and avoided being brought down in the end zone.

I agree that coaching staff (Jauron and Fairchild) should have known that OL and Losman would not be able to handle the pressure and should have called a different play.

Typ0
09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Here are the facts.

JP is the QB.

JP is the one getting the ball snaped to him.

JP was the one holding the ball when he got sacked.

What is so difficult here? He is responsible for the safety. He needed to know where he was and get the ball out of there plain and simple. Any other logic is just butt kissing. The kid screwed up...get over it.

MikeInRoch
09-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I blame the playcalling as well. Run and bring in the Pro Bowl punter to make them go a long way to break the tie.

Typ0
09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Comments from Vic Carucci:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9652744
The decisive play in this game was J.P. Losman being sacked in the end zone for a safety. ... Losman also should have been more aware of his place on the field and avoided being brought down in the end zone.

I agree that coaching staff (Jauron and Fairchild) should have known that OL and Losman would not be able to handle the pressure and should have called a different play.

I disagree...if you don't call the play you don't give them the opportunity to succeed in that situation the way you want them to succeed. They are being good leaders and hopefully it will pay off as there will be successes in those situations and confidence will build. The end result will be a football team that knows how to win.

Typ0
09-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I blame the playcalling as well. Run and bring in the Pro Bowl punter to make them go a long way to break the tie.

yeah...the way the punt game was going they would have started on our 20.

L.A. Playa
09-11-2006, 11:21 AM
if there was indeed 1on 1 coverage a quick slant might have been a better call than a deep bomb if that indeed was the call

G. Host
09-11-2006, 11:26 AM
I disagree...if you don't call the play you don't give them the opportunity to succeed in that situation the way you want them to succeed. They are being good leaders and hopefully it will pay off as there will be successes in those situations and confidence will build. The end result will be a football team that knows how to win.

Giving an infant with baby teeth a steak makes no sense - it will not make the infant grow faster. Better to spoon feed the infant until it can handle solid food.

ICE74129
09-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I want some of you to understand that the safety was not all Losman's fault. The Bills were backed deep in their territory but not too deep. The COACHES made the call for a 5 step drop. Losman saw that both Evans and Price had one on one coverage on opposite sides. This was to be a long pass downfield.

Losman did as instructed, and in order for that deep pass to develop, it requires more time than the OL gave him.

He took the snap, made the drop, avoided the first blitzing Patriot and came head on into another after coming out of the first missed tackle.

Bottom line is the OL didn't hold up their end of the bargain, and the coaching staff miscalculated when required a 5 yard step. With both Price and Evans in single coverage, Losman should have read the defense better and changed the quickness of the play.

I think Losman saw the Pats secondary exposed, got excited about the opportunity and thought the line could hold thier own. Everything broke down at one time on that play.

In retrospect, Losman should have instead called the audible or a TO. The situation should have been more thoroghly evaluated, but truth is if Losman gets 1.5 more seconds in the pocket, that might have been 7 pts Buffalo for a nasty burn downfield.

The mismatch was there, they just couldn't make it happen.

These types of things will happen with a young and inexperienced team. I guarantee this will be one play that the coaches will look at through and through, and Losman has already stated that he's eager to see the tape on the play.

This will be corrected and I bet we don't see this happen again this season.

Oustanding post brother.

ICE74129
09-11-2006, 12:07 PM
Here are the facts.

JP is the QB.

JP is the one getting the ball snaped to him.

JP was the one holding the ball when he got sacked.

What is so difficult here? He is responsible for the safety. He needed to know where he was and get the ball out of there plain and simple. Any other logic is just butt kissing. The kid screwed up...get over it.

More pure stupidity spewing.

YardRat
09-11-2006, 12:15 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around for everybody. Including JP.

evol4276
09-11-2006, 02:26 PM
ive only seen the clip once, since i couldnt actually watch the game yet, but from what I saw, it looked like the entire OL laid down on that play, because right off the snap there were DL in the backfield chasing towards JP. From that, I wouldn't call it JP's fault for the safety. He barely had time to do anything before swarmed.