I'm Concerned About Willis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

I'm Concerned About Willis.

Yesterday, Willis continued the ineffective play that he displayed for most of the second half of last season. He seems to lack the commitment to hitting the hole that the running plays are designed for, and the toughness to drag tacklers that extra yard or two.

He does a lot of east-west running and dancing behind the line, rather than pounding the ball up the field. I don't think we can live with 30 carries for 70 yards.

I guess he tweaked his ankle or something, but if he can't give us more production than he did yesterday, I think we'll need to upgrade the RB position next year.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: I'm Concerned About Willis.

Jan, he doesnt' give a **** about football. He just wants the money that comes from it. At the very least he doesn't care about BUFFALO and can't wait to get the hell outta here.

Now I don't have a 'link' but how numb must some people be (not you) to not see the facts in front of you. He would take a trade to jacksonville in a heartbeat and not even address the media on the way outta town

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

I hear ya ice, and i definately havent liked his attitude in recent years, however IMO he might be changing things. He was very displeased with the old regime and it made him not care in a way. He has a great deal of respect for the new coaches and i think (hope) he'll change his ways.

On a game note, I dont get why we stopped going to Willis in the second half

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        • May 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
        Jan, he doesnt' give a **** about football. He just wants the money that comes from it. At the very least he doesn't care about BUFFALO and can't wait to get the hell outta here.

Now I don't have a 'link' but how numb must some people be (not you) to not see the facts in front of you. He would take a trade to jacksonville in a heartbeat and not even address the media on the way outta town
        Oh, I agree. I hate his attitude. He's a selfish, greedy jerk. Kind of like a mini-TO, but without the productivity.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

yeah if the punk was as dominant as TO is then I wouldn't mind the crap so much.

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            Yesterday, Willis continued the ineffective play that he displayed for most of the second half of last season. He seems to lack the commitment to hitting the hole that the running plays are designed for, and the toughness to drag tacklers that extra yard or two.

He does a lot of east-west running and dancing behind the line, rather than pounding the ball up the field. I don't think we can live with 30 carries for 70 yards.

I guess he tweaked his ankle or something, but if he can't give us more production than he did yesterday, I think we'll need to upgrade the RB position next year.
            I saw several plays where he could have got 2-3 yards more than he did because he danced instead of hitting the holes.

I believe Willis is a FA after this year anyway.

I'd really like to see him back to his 04 form but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• CAbills
              • Jul 2004

Blame the runner all you want I mean we do have a DOMINATING offensive line.
              Lets Go Buffalo!
              Boiler Up!

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he was injured, but so far, he hasn't impressed me at all.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  • May 2003

Originally posted by CAbills
                  Blame the runner all you want I mean we do have a DOMINATING offensive line.
                  I understand our O line isn't that great. But the way Willis is hesitating behind the line of scrimmage and then going down without much effort when hit, tells me he's lacking more than a superior O line.

He simply seems to lack the competitive fire that I've seen in other great RBs.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by Billsology
                    I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he was injured, but so far, he hasn't impressed me at all.
                    Yeah, he folded up on the key fourth and one like a cheap suitcase.

Comment

• dplus47
                      • Sep 2005

i thought willis looked really good in the first half. as for the dancing, he has likely gotten used to having to dance around looking for somewhere to run, and he'll likely stop dancing once he gets used to having somewhere to run. there was a lot of penetration on that 4th down play where he's getting dissed for dancing; i'm not sure where he could have gone without dancing on that play. i think they should have run him a lot more in the second half.

Comment

• DBrown77
                        Watching the Bills suck since 1999
                        • Mar 2005

The positive i did see from him that i havent seen yet was an explosive 2nd gear when he got in the open field. It was that play where he caught the ball in the flat and had some open field

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                          • Jul 2002

Frankly, if I could package Takeo and Willis into a linebacker and a real left side offensive line, guard and tackle, I would pull the trigger.

I'm getting used to the thought that Takeo isn't part of the Marv-Dick team, though I really like the guy, and I've never thought that Willis will be a Bill in '07.

I'd take my chances on a running back in the draft.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                            • Aug 2003

look at what Edge did behind stellar line play, and they have a more legitimate passing game than the Bills do, give the guy a chance it was just one game against one of the better defenses in the league

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by L.A. Playa
                              look at what Edge did behind stellar line play, and they have a more legitimate passing game than the Bills do, give the guy a chance it was just one game against one of the better defenses in the league
                              My concern is that he's picking up right where he left off in the second half of last season - a mediocre, relatively non-productive back that rarely makes a big play.

But I think he was banged up a little yesterday, and I'm willing to give him the same benefit of the doubt that most of us would give to JP: Let's see how he does this year, but if he doesn't produce, let's upgrade the position.

Comment

Working...
                              X