• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly The Dog
    • Jul 2002

12 Stats

1. Most important stat: 0-1
    There are no moral victories. We lost a game we could've/should've won that would've taken us a long way in our resurgence.

2. Most revealing stat: 10 points.
    That is how much the defense gave up against Brady and co. on the road in new schemes with new players, an injured TK and Vincent and sometimes five rookies playing. Yes, they gave up 17 but they scored 7 completely by themselves in one play. The defense not only played well, they played very well. Yes, they couldn't stop the Pats when they needed to but it took diving TD receptions to do it. And you can't expect a shutout.

3. Most ridiculous stat: 1-5
    One penalty for five yards against a team in any game is almost impossible to believe. That doesn't even count the blatant holds, jumping offsides and other shenanigans that we can actually point to.

4. Weekly misleading stat: 86.1
    That's JP's quarterback rating, which is commonly a worthless stat. 86.1 is a pretty good rating and one we would likely be happy with any game and over the course of the season. He wasn't that good though. His plays and head were "relatively" good but he didn't get on the scoreboard through the air. He lacked chunkability. He had the fateful safety. He had trouble holding the ball on some snaps. Granted, it's a team game and a lot of that is not his fault but again the QB rating is misleading, as it usually will be.

5. TD Haters stat: 6-6
    If I'm not mistaken that is Ryan Lindell in his last 6 kicks over 50 yards counting this pre-season and last season. If I am mistake it's more like 7-7 or 8-8. This just in, he's a very good kicker and the most accurate in Bills history.

6. A rather remarkable stat: 4-51
    That's the total number of catches and yards the Patriots WRs had all day against our zone coverage secondary mostly with two raw rookie safeties. And you can add the 4-73 which are the numbers for the two TEs that were supposed to kill us had. Again, the defense played great under the circumstances.

7. The we need to do better stat: 2-25/2-24
    Catches and yards by Lee Evans and Willis. Yes, A-train pitched in for 2-16 which makes 4-40 out of the backfield which isn't horrible but is far from good. I thought Fairchild should have called more swing and flat passes to Willis. The Pats did a good job taking Evans out but we didn't even try to go deep to loosen them up. These are not the players stats that were bad as much as they were a combination of the players and plays and opponents and coaching. But we need to do much better.

8. The most amazing stat ever: 1-10
    That was the number of interceptions and yards returning for Donte Whitner, the first player in the history of the NFL to be called out of bounds after having FIVE FEET in bounds, two of his own and three of the field's.

9. The most telling stat in the difference between the teams: 0-1 and 2-2
    Those were the fourth down conversions and probably the difference in the game. The Bills missed their only shot, the Pats made both of theirs.

10. A stat that gives us hope: 3/23-2 3/27-7
    These are the sacks for and against. The Bills on the road with a suspect QB and OL against a great front were sacked three times for 23 yards and lost 2 points on a safety. The Pats at home with a great line and great QB against a suspect front were sacked three times for 27 yards and gave up seven points.

11. Most interesting stat: 9-1
    Those are the tackles and assists made by Terrence McGee. Considering that the WRs on the Pats only caught 4 passes total and one or two against Mcgee makes this more remarkable. Granted, a few of those were on running backs well past the first down marker but Terrence had a solid game in run support as well as pass coverage. This just in, he's as good as Clements.

12. The nice job stats: 4-4-8... 4-3-7
    Those are the tackle/assist stats of Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson in their first game ever with neither starting and neither getting beat like a drum in the passing game. Throw in the INT and we have ourselves some safeties.

Stats obviously tell very little in the long run and can be manipulated as we all know but they are also fun and often provide little windows.
  • Risin
    • Aug 2004

Re: 12 Stats

Great Post!!!

A little too hard on JP for my liking, but a great post.

Comment

• dplus47
      • Sep 2005

that's a good post. put pressure on brady and he becomes an average QB. there's a reason his career rating vs. miami is in the 70's. the bills did a nice job applying pressure.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Risin
        Great Post!!!

A little too hard on JP for my liking, but a great post.
        I am as big a JP fan and supporter as there is, but still try to look at him and his game objectively. That's why I put "relatively" in quotes. For how he has played previously, for his youth, for the position he was put in yesterday, you're right, he played a little better than I gave him credit for.

But I was thinking more along the lines of ANY quarterback that had that game versus JP Losman that had that game. And I don't think it was an 86.1 but more like a 75.9. We need to get the ball in the endzone. We need to get the ball downfield. We need to pick up some first downs in the fourth period that put the game away whether they are difficult or not. We need to protect the ball and the endzone a little more. We need to find ways to get the ball in our playmakers hands.

He didn't throw an INT, he didn't play dumb, he did a lot of things quite well. He was good for JP but not good for QB and I think we have to look at his play on parallel levels, not just the he's young and raw level.

Comment

• Risin
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
          I am as big a JP fan and supporter as there is, but still try to look at him and his game objectively. That's why I put "relatively" in quotes. For how he has played previously, for his youth, for the position he was put in yesterday, you're right, he played a little better than I gave him credit for.

But I was thinking more along the lines of ANY quarterback that had that game versus JP Losman that had that game. And I don't think it was an 86.1 but more like a 75.9. We need to get the ball in the endzone. We need to get the ball downfield. We need to pick up some first downs in the fourth period that put the game away whether they are difficult or not. We need to protect the ball and the endzone a little more. We need to find ways to get the ball in our playmakers hands.

He didn't throw an INT, he didn't play dumb, he did a lot of things quite well. He was good for JP but not good for QB and I think we have to look at his play on parallel levels, not just the he's young and raw level.

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't agree with you, but if you're a JP fan (which I know you are from another website ), you are certainly coming off extremly unbiased in this post.

To me, JP did much better then I expected, so that 86.1 was well earned.

He coulda/woulda/shoulda done some things differently, but I don't put the safety all on him, and also take into consideration his team folded along with him in the second half. (I remember run-run-pass-punt) An 86.1 rating is solid, which is exactly how I think JP played. It more then fit his performance, not great, not bad, but solid. 86.1

Also think of it in terms of, if he throws it away it could be a NE TD, which is worst case scenario. Worse yet, he coulda pulled a Bledsoe and coughed it up, so I'm willing to consider that worse case scenario didn't happen.

On top of that, if it's not for a dumb ass penalty on Royal, we might be talking about how JP led a 4th quarter comeback, even after giving up that safety.

Considering how poorly his cast around him played, JP did well to have that rating. As stated earlier, he almost had us in position to take the lead again, when a dumb penalty killed the drive. This isn't the first time, remember in the pre season JP was robbed on a few nice plays by dumb penalties.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Risin
            Thanks for the explanation.

I don't agree with you, but if you're a JP fan (which I know you are from another website ), you are certainly coming off extremly unbiased in this post.

To me, JP did much better then I expected, so that 86.1 was well earned.

He coulda/woulda/shoulda done some things differently, but I don't put the safety all on him, and also take into consideration his team folded along with him in the second half. (I remember run-run-pass-punt) An 86.1 rating is solid, which is exactly how I think JP played. It more then fit his performance, not great, not bad, but solid. 86.1

Also think of it in terms of, if he throws it away it could be a NE TD, which is worst case scenario. Worse yet, he coulda pulled a Bledsoe and coughed it up, so I'm willing to consider that worse case scenario didn't happen.

On top of that, if it's not for a dumb ass penalty on Royal, we might be talking about how JP led a 4th quarter comeback, even after giving up that safety.

Considering how poorly his cast around him played, JP did well to have that rating. As stated earlier, he almost had us in position to take the lead again, when a dumb penalty killed the drive. This isn't the first time, remember in the pre season JP was robbed on a few nice plays by dumb penalties.
            Fair enough. I guess to me when I look at a game like this I consider that it should have been a win. And a winning quarterback makes the plays or some plays he needs to make that win the game.

JP didnt blow many plays but he didn't make them either. Yes, he got screwed a couple times on penalties like when he converted that 3rd and 2 to Peerless, but you have to play the hand you're dealt and he had another third and 2 on the next play and got sacked. Yes, that was hardly his fault as they came fast but we needed him to make a play that got us a score or make the play we needed at the goalline or 3rd and 2 with 6;33 left. And he didn't. He surely didn't lose the game but for him to take the next step he has to make great plays, or scoring plays, or the one first down we need that wins or seals a win. On 3rd and 8 from the 14 just before the critical play he completes a tough 7 yard pass to Evans. One more yard and it's 1st and goal not 4th and 1. That was a nice pass but it was just a little short of what we needed to win and steal the game.

I think he is going to be a very good player in this league. I think he did well yesterday and looked a lot more poised to go to the next level. Now he has to get some scores and some wins.

Comment

Working...
            X