PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Review: My UPS and DOWNS

patmoran2006
09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I'm not gonna go back and analyze the game--its already been done plenty.... and I'll keep this more brief than normal.. But here are some things that I saw UNPARTIALLY this past Sunday.

POSITIVE

* I absolutely LOVE the way our defensive rookies look.. Whitner is going to be a great safety (at least I think).. I like SImpson just as much.. Kyle Williams was no preseason fluke, and even Ellison looks like he can make some plays. Didnt really see much of McCargo, but I think he'll continue to improve.

* I do NOT like Dick Jauron, but I actually thought he and the coordinators called a very good game.. I DID NOT disagree with going for it on 4th and 1.. its hearsay now, but if we take the opening drive in second half, convert that and go on to score a TD.. its 24-7 and GAME OVER.. To be honest, I was more impressed with Jauron and staff more than I expected to be--at least for this game.

* I thought JP played decent. Put it this way, I could live with that performance each week.. No picks.. He didnt throw 2 passes DIRECTLY into the opponents hands that get dropped like he does every other start. He had ups and downs and definitely needs to improve, but for the most part I think I liked what I saw.

* A-Train... I cant question Jauron anymore.. Now I know why he kept him and dumped Gates.. He's also faster than I thought-- He has plenty of ability to spell Wilis for short or long stretches.

* Josh Reed played well.. Get over it.

* Our DL did pretty well generating a pass rush.

* Our corners played well, but I cant get too pumped since NE has NO wide receivers.

* The OL for the most part gave JP some time to throw.

NEGATIVES

* The front four was and still is HORRID in stopping the run.. Its BRUTAL.. Ronnie Brown is licking his chops right now, I promise you that..

* Having the ball for THREE minutes in the fourth quarter is inexcusable.

* I said Kyle Williams WASNT a preseason fluke.. Well, Parrish is.. I dont like him already.

* The OL is VERY INCONSISTENT in run blocking..

* Please, never let Coy Wire step on the field again unless its a punt or kickoff.

* Let me emphasize point one again.. the DL is HORRID in stopping the run.. If they dont get better at that quickly, nothing else is going to matter.

* Robert Royal sucked.. He missed a few blocks.. Got a CRUCIAL penalty (weak call or not).. and he dropped a passed on 3rd down that would have kept the chains moving.. Is Kevin Everett still a BIll? Oh ya he is, he got a holding penalty.

* You people (not all but a lot) are so hypocritical... MIami losses a tough game on the road against SB champs and ONE game makes their season on here.. NOt so much when Buffalo drops their opener though, huh?

BOTTOM LINE: This team is YOUNG and STUPID.... They have to LEARN how to win.. Until that happens, its going to be the age-proven theory.. "good teams find ways to win, and bad teams find ways to lose."

I'm impressed with the talent on this team, I really am.. But this is going to be a LONG year.. We're gonna lose a ton of 3-7 point games because of inexperience and stupidity. I dont even care, as long as we learn from it, and our rookies and youngsters get plenty of game-day experience.. They NEED IT

I love the Bills future, especially if marv goes the route I think he's going next year.. But for this year;;;; get used to this exact same feeling..

"We could have won that game"

TigerJ
09-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I pretty much agree with everything you said, except that I think the Bills can win enough games that I won't be too down in the dumps. I am not among those fans who made derogatory comments about Miami losing their opener, but I don't feel the need to make derogatory comments about those who did. Otherwise, everything you said is right on.

Mitchy moo
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Another I think the game needed to be broken down again, looks OK from my standpoint except us winning. I think we'll do just fine the rest of the way.

Jeff1220
09-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't think I've responded to them before this (and I firmly believe in not judging a season on wk1), but on the Miami comparisons...it's a perspective of expectations. The fans and the media expect the Fins to be SB contenders this year. The fans of the Bills expect improvement over 5-11, while the media has them locked at 3-13. That's why I don't see the Miami criticisms as hypocritical.

BuffaloBillsStampede
09-11-2006, 10:11 PM
I didn't say anything about Miami at all, and I agree with everything you said except I like Dick Jauron a lot more than I thought I would. I loved the 4th and 1 call and would hope they do it again next time. This team needs to learn how to win and be agressive. They need to go for the throat when they get that opportunity. Good review though.

jmb1099
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Good post almost...
You make great points but then quickly call some people on this board hypocrites, its not necessary and ruins an otherwise very good post

I'm not gonna go back and analyze the game--its already been done plenty.... and I'll keep this more brief than normal.. But here are some things that I saw UNPARTIALLY this past Sunday.

POSITIVE

* I absolutely LOVE the way our defensive rookies look.. Whitner is going to be a great safety (at least I think).. I like SImpson just as much.. Kyle Williams was no preseason fluke, and even Ellison looks like he can make some plays. Didnt really see much of McCargo, but I think he'll continue to improve.

* I do NOT like Dick Jauron, but I actually thought he and the coordinators called a very good game.. I DID NOT disagree with going for it on 4th and 1.. its hearsay now, but if we take the opening drive in second half, convert that and go on to score a TD.. its 24-7 and GAME OVER.. To be honest, I was more impressed with Jauron and staff more than I expected to be--at least for this game.

* I thought JP played decent. Put it this way, I could live with that performance each week.. No picks.. He didnt throw 2 passes DIRECTLY into the opponents hands that get dropped like he does every other start. He had ups and downs and definitely needs to improve, but for the most part I think I liked what I saw.

* A-Train... I cant question Jauron anymore.. Now I know why he kept him and dumped Gates.. He's also faster than I thought-- He has plenty of ability to spell Wilis for short or long stretches.

* Josh Reed played well.. Get over it.

* Our DL did pretty well generating a pass rush.

* Our corners played well, but I cant get too pumped since NE has NO wide receivers.

* The OL for the most part gave JP some time to throw.

NEGATIVES

* The front four was and still is HORRID in stopping the run.. Its BRUTAL.. Ronnie Brown is licking his chops right now, I promise you that..

* Having the ball for THREE minutes in the fourth quarter is inexcusable.

* I said Kyle Williams WASNT a preseason fluke.. Well, Parrish is.. I dont like him already.

* The OL is VERY INCONSISTENT in run blocking..

* Please, never let Coy Wire step on the field again unless its a punt or kickoff.

* Let me emphasize point one again.. the DL is HORRID in stopping the run.. If they dont get better at that quickly, nothing else is going to matter.

* Robert Royal sucked.. He missed a few blocks.. Got a CRUCIAL penalty (weak call or not).. and he dropped a passed on 3rd down that would have kept the chains moving.. Is Kevin Everett still a BIll? Oh ya he is, he got a holding penalty.

* You people (not all but a lot) are so hypocritical... MIami losses a tough game on the road against SB champs and ONE game makes their season on here.. NOt so much when Buffalo drops their opener though, huh?

BOTTOM LINE: This team is YOUNG and STUPID.... They have to LEARN how to win.. Until that happens, its going to be the age-proven theory.. "good teams find ways to win, and bad teams find ways to lose."

I'm impressed with the talent on this team, I really am.. But this is going to be a LONG year.. We're gonna lose a ton of 3-7 point games because of inexperience and stupidity. I dont even care, as long as we learn from it, and our rookies and youngsters get plenty of game-day experience.. They NEED IT

I love the Bills future, especially if marv goes the route I think he's going next year.. But for this year;;;; get used to this exact same feeling..

"We could have won that game"

Devin
09-11-2006, 10:51 PM

The difference being all off-season long we heard how the Fins were all of a sudden contenders, and were so improved. Their biggest offseason pickup choked something fierce.

I am not naive enough to say the Fins are going to suck this year, but another year of beating the sucky teams and getting boned by better teams wouldnt shock me. You know.....just like they did last year.

We were expected to suck. The fact that we actually made it a game and played significantly better than expected does'nt make us hypocritical.