PDA

View Full Version : NFL Refs are terrible.

Patrick76777
09-12-2006, 08:16 AM
Let’s face facts, the referees this week in the NFL were flat out terrible. Missed calls, phantom penalties and inexplicable whistles reigned supreme. These guys were not fit to call a peewee game at your local playground. It is blatantly obvious that the bad and missed calls clearly affected the outcome of several games this weekend.

But wait! Sometime in the past 10 years legions of sports fans and sports talk radio hosts decided that fans cannot under any circumstance blame the referee’s for a loss. It has somehow become unwritten rule numeral uno in sports conversation. It happens in every post game conversation, someone will place the blame on the refs and a score of onlookers will look on you with pity like your some wayward homer and explain that the refs cannot be blamed. It’s a load of garbage!

The talent in the NFL today is spread around so much that it’s very possible that the sixth seed in the playoffs could win the Superbowl. It happened last year. 5 years ago it would have been unheard of. 5 years ago, the 6th place team couldn’t win a single playoff game, and if they did manage to get past the first round they were usually dominated in round 2. The difference in talent from the best team in the league to the worst team in the league is marginal at best. Sure, other things like coaching, play calling, confidence, chemistry and momentum play a very big role in determining the outcome of a game but the fact remains that there are only 32 teams in the league and the 32nd ranked team can give the 1st ranked team fits.

This is a professional sport played at breakneck speeds at the highest level. Teams prepare for months for the season to begin. They practice in 100-degree summer heat perfecting their play. Then the season begins and in game one they fight and scratch and claw their way against another group of pros that worked just as hard just to have the referee make a call that baffles everyone in attendance and everyone watching on TV. Why is it that the referees can’t be blamed?

There were numerous examples over the weekend.

Sean Taylor getting a phantom pass interference call on Monday night.

The Giants getting called for a non-existent offensive pass interference call on the potentially game winning touchdown drive on Sunday night.

The Bills getting flagged numerous times in one game including 3 blocking in the back penalties in crunch time while the Patriots get flagged once despite running over the punter twice and holding all game. Infractions occur on every play in the NFL and the referees choose when to call them. It’s inexcusable to think that one squad could have 7 penalties and the other could play a perfectly clean game.

All that being said, whatever you do, don’t blame the referees! The sports fans Gestapo can’t wait to let you know how wrong you are. It doesn’t matter how close the games are or how bad the referees have screwed up, it has been ordained by a higher power that we can never blame the referees for a loss. I just don’t understand why.

Night Train
09-12-2006, 08:18 AM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=108024

RedEyE
09-12-2006, 08:19 AM
:bf1:

LtBillsFan66
09-12-2006, 08:22 AM

Pat is pumped!

THATHURMANATOR
09-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Holler Patrick!

mybills
09-12-2006, 08:49 AM
Go Patrick! :bf1:

Cntrygal
09-12-2006, 08:59 AM
:10:

5 Stars for you Patrick!

Tatonka
09-12-2006, 09:16 AM
that is one of the first posts of yours i have enjoyed in months.

THATHURMANATOR
09-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Are you a Patrick hater T?

Earthquake Enyart
09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Pat, I think they are having trouble adapting to the new unis.

I know Hockuli is pissed because the new stripes make him look fat.

Tatonka
09-12-2006, 10:54 AM
Are you a Patrick hater T?

i dont hate patrick.. i just think most of his posts this offseason suck.

Patrick76777
09-12-2006, 10:55 AM
i dont hate patrick.. i just think most of his posts this offseason suck.

That's only because I did the whole anti-JP thing. But I came around.

THATHURMANATOR
09-12-2006, 10:57 AM
everything has come full circle!!! GO BILLS!

Ickybaluky
09-12-2006, 02:03 PM
I agree. The worst infraction was missing the blatant facemask by Spikes on the Pats first offensive play. Instead of the Pats getting 15 yards and a first down, the Bills were spotted a 7 point lead to start the game. Completely changed the game.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/337/bradyspikesvv0.jpg

Devin
09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
yeeeeesh that looks like it hurts.

LtBillsFan66
09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
What kills me a ton more are the growing number of phantom calls. That tells me the refs are trigger happy. I'd rather see missed calls than see missed calls--especially ones that case a play dead (like not stepping out of bounds). Let the players play. And if there is something blatant, then make the call. If he's close to out of bounds, let replay decide and bring it back since you can't reverse a play that is called dead prematurely.

Gunzlingr
09-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree. The worst infraction was missing the blatant facemask by Spikes on the Pats first offensive play. Instead of the Pats getting 15 yards and a first down, the Bills were spotted a 7 point lead to start the game. Completely changed the game.

That is so obviously photoshopped.

;)

chernobylwraiths
09-12-2006, 04:29 PM

Hilarious! A NE fan *****ing about the refs.

Bert102176
09-12-2006, 08:31 PM
ty, these refs are ***** horrible and the refs on my flag football league are not any better damn asses

Turf
09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
The replacement college refs of a couple years ago were better than these bafoons. At least they tried to call a fair game. The refs of today are lining their pockets with cash, and to old to see or know any better.
The NFL officials are a disgrace to the game and league, and the number 1 thing wrong with the game of football.

ublinkwescore
09-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Let’s face facts, the referees this week in the NFL were flat out terrible. Missed calls, phantom penalties and inexplicable whistles reigned supreme. These guys were not fit to call a peewee game at your local playground. It is blatantly obvious that the bad and missed calls clearly affected the outcome of several games this weekend.

But wait! Sometime in the past 10 years legions of sports fans and sports talk radio hosts decided that fans cannot under any circumstance blame the referee’s for a loss. It has somehow become unwritten rule numeral uno in sports conversation. It happens in every post game conversation, someone will place the blame on the refs and a score of onlookers will look on you with pity like your some wayward homer and explain that the refs cannot be blamed. It’s a load of garbage!

The talent in the NFL today is spread around so much that it’s very possible that the sixth seed in the playoffs could win the Superbowl. It happened last year. 5 years ago it would have been unheard of. 5 years ago, the 6th place team couldn’t win a single playoff game, and if they did manage to get past the first round they were usually dominated in round 2. The difference in talent from the best team in the league to the worst team in the league is marginal at best. Sure, other things like coaching, play calling, confidence, chemistry and momentum play a very big role in determining the outcome of a game but the fact remains that there are only 32 teams in the league and the 32nd ranked team can give the 1st ranked team fits.

This is a professional sport played at breakneck speeds at the highest level. Teams prepare for months for the season to begin. They practice in 100-degree summer heat perfecting their play. Then the season begins and in game one they fight and scratch and claw their way against another group of pros that worked just as hard just to have the referee make a call that baffles everyone in attendance and everyone watching on TV. Why is it that the referees can’t be blamed?

The Giants getting called for a non-existent offensive pass interference call on the potentially game winning touchdown drive on Sunday night.

The Bills getting flagged numerous times in one game including 3 blocking in the back penalties in crunch time while the Patriots get flagged once despite running over the punter twice and holding all game. Infractions occur on every play in the NFL and the referees choose when to call them. It’s inexcusable to think that one squad could have 7 penalties and the other could play a perfectly clean game.

All that being said, whatever you do, don’t blame the referees! The sports fans Gestapo can’t wait to let you know how wrong you are. It doesn’t matter how close the games are or how bad the referees have screwed up, it has been ordained by a higher power that we can never blame the referees for a loss. I just don’t understand why.

I had to thank and posrep you for that post.

the sports fans gestapo are only that way when their team benefits from BS calls. When it's a BS call against their team, you know damn well that they vent just like we do.

I can honestly say that I'm not a member of this "Gestapo" - I would much rather be whining about my team's incompetence than my team doing enough to win, but having the game robbed from them because the refs are crooked. The only way I could ever be happy that a team has been screwed by the refs - would be that we meet the titans or the Patriots in the playoffs sometime, and a controvercial... no, scratch that - a blatantly blown call goes in our favor - just so these other fans can see how much it sucks. Let my team suck (for the sake of example) - a loss is much easier to swallow that way as opposed to my team being robbed on one single blown call by some old fart who is getting "special favors" from someone who's initials could be TB, BB, or RK.

ublinkwescore
09-12-2006, 11:30 PM
That is so obviously photoshopped.

;)

Is it just me, or does TKO look white in the face their?

Ickybaluky
09-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Here is the reverse angle, which appeared in the Herald. It shows Spikes hadn't yet leg go of the facemask, nearly twisting the helmet of Brady's head.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/images/patriots/fumble09112006.jpg

mybills
09-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Do you really think that THAT decided the game? :chuckle:

Patrick76777
09-13-2006, 07:38 AM

Sorry about that NE, the entire crowd was focused on the ball 30 feet in the air after Spikes destroyed your QB and missed the “facemask” that may or may not have occurred.

It’s starting to go down hill my friend. I hope you have some nice memories of those championships, because in 4 years when the Pats are 3-13, you’ll need them.

mybills
09-13-2006, 07:41 AM
lol, Pat. Why didn't Brady make a fuss about it?

RedEyE
09-13-2006, 07:46 AM
I know it's hypocritcal, but I rather enjoy that image of Brady getting his head unscrewed .

Patrick76777
09-13-2006, 07:46 AM
lol, Pat. Why didn't Brady make a fuss about it?
He was too busy looking for the license plate of the truck that just hit him.

mybills
09-13-2006, 07:56 AM
He was too busy looking for the license plate of the truck that just hit him.
:rofl:

DynaPaul
09-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Hilarious! A NE fan *****ing about the refs.

I know... WOW, the refs dared to miss one call that woulda helped the Pats. Don't worry NE39, they made up for that the rest of the game and especially in the 4th quarter.

Ickybaluky
09-13-2006, 09:54 AM
I know... WOW, the refs dared to miss one call that woulda helped the Pats. Don't worry NE39, they made up for that the rest of the game and especially in the 4th quarter.

I was just making a point that other plays are missed.

You guys all love to blame the refs, but in the end those things even out. It is always the losing teams that are looking for a reason to blame anyone but themselves.

Ickybaluky
09-13-2006, 09:56 AM
It’s starting to go down hill my friend. I hope you have some nice memories of those championships, because in 4 years when the Pats are 3-13, you’ll need them.

I disagree. I think the Pats are in a good position to continue to be a strong team for a while. They have drafted well and will have strong draft position next year. Their QB is in his prime. They are in good cap shape (better than most, actually).

I feel pretty good about the team myself. I realize you hate them, but wishing they were falling apart isn't going to get it done.

eyedog
09-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Wrong. The calls don't even out for New England and every fan in the league knows it.
But you are right the Pats will continue to be strong as long as they have Brady, Belicheck, and the refs. Thats a tough combo to beat.

Patrick76777
09-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I disagree. I think the Pats are in a good position to continue to be a strong team for a while. They have drafted well and will have strong draft position next year. Their QB is in his prime. They are in good cap shape (better than most, actually).

I feel pretty good about the team myself. I realize you hate them, but wishing they were falling apart isn't going to get it done.

Actually I have no hatred for the Pats. I actually pulled for them to win the first 2 superbowls.

I'm getting sick of there fans thinking that they have figured out the secret to being a good football team. They haven't. It all comes around and they will be bad again someday. It happens to every team.

Patrick76777
09-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I was just making a point that other plays are missed.

You guys all love to blame the refs, but in the end those things even out. It is always the losing teams that are looking for a reason to blame anyone but themselves.
But they don’t even out! They say holding and other infractions happen on every play. If that’s the case then it should never be 7-1 in penalties called. The refs are there to keep the game fair. It’s not fair to call one team on everything and let another team slide on everything.

Earthquake Enyart
09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Actually I have no hatred for the Pats. I actually pulled for them to win the first 2 superbowls.

I'm getting sick of there fans thinking that they have figured out the secret to being a good football team. They haven't. It all comes around and they will be bad again someday. It happens to every team.
I think they are on their way.

Ickybaluky
09-13-2006, 11:08 AM

Fans are fans. Buffalo fans remind me of Red Sox fans because they think everyone is out to get them and there is some grand conspiracy to keep them from winning.

I agree with your sentiment that what goes up must come down, but I just don't see the Pats headed there yet. They are weak at WR this year, and have some age at LB, but other than that they are in good shape talent-wise. Their cap position is very good. They have done a good job drafting and will have about a dozen picks next year (including comp picks) with 2 first rounders. Their QB is in his prime.

I just don't see them declining, unless Brady gets hurt. They are in good shape.

justasportsfan
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Fans are fans. Buffalo fans remind me of Red Sox fans because they think everyone is out to get them and there is some grand conspiracy to keep them from winning.

I agree with your sentiment that what goes up must come down, but I just don't see the Pats headed there yet. They are weak at WR this year, and have some age at LB, but other than that they are in good shape talent-wise. Their cap position is very good. They have done a good job drafting and will have about a dozen picks next year (including comp picks) with 2 first rounders. Their QB is in his prime.

I just don't see them declining, unless Brady gets hurt. They are in good shape.
I've hardly made a fuss about the refs. But that game was obviously decided by the refs. It's our fault for keeping the game close enough for them to do so.

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I've hardly made a fuss about the refs. But that game was obviously decided by the refs. It's our fault for keeping the game close enough for them to do so.

I have to strongly disagree with this post - it all came down to one simple BS whistle being blown when Whitner intercepted - that was the straw that broke the camel's back, and it was BS.

chernobylwraiths
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I have to strongly disagree with this post - it all came down to one simple BS whistle being blown when Whitner intercepted - that was the straw that broke the camel's back, and it was BS.

The whistle was irrevelant as they were already flagging us for illegal block in the back.

mysticsoto
09-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Won't be happening any time soon. The Pats have done a good job of getting good draft picks for their personnel, and quite frankly, I can't believe they got a 1st rounder next year for Branch. With two 1st rd picks next year, they can grab a highly rated WR and something else (highly rated LB maybe) and continue strong for years to come...

SABURZFAN
09-13-2006, 12:30 PM

i agree.these buffoons for refs,that the NFL has,needs to be training in the offseason.these players are bigger and quicker so the refs need to stay sharp and in shape.you might as well throw don vito out there with a striped shirt.he'd fit in with the rest of the buffoons.

bledslow
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
It all started with the very first play of the game when the refs missed tko hitting brady on the head and just watching buffalo roll in the end zone for a td instead of a roughing the passer penalty. absolutely ridiculous.

chernobylwraiths
09-13-2006, 05:39 PM
It all started with the very first play of the game when the refs missed tko hitting brady on the head and just watching buffalo roll in the end zone for a td instead of a roughing the passer penalty. absolutely ridiculous.

:cry:

mybills
09-14-2006, 07:35 AM
So I watched the game again on NFLN last night..
Another bad one was when Lee Evans caught the ball on the 30, got tackled, and two Pats were trying to rip the ball out of his hands...he was DOWN, but those bastards took an awfully long time to blow the whistle. It's like they were hoping Lee would let go. :mad:
Reminds me of the Colts game when they did the same thing, only the Colts player DID lose his grip.
That's just Fkd Up!

KUDOS TO EVANS! :bf1: