PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Smith resigned with NE

BILLSROCK1212
09-12-2006, 09:27 PM
so what are your thoughts on this any1 still think it was for the playbook or is this a cover up? I think it may be because the Pats don't wanna guarantee the contract or because they dont expect Dog Gabriel to be playing for another week or 2.

Patriots | J. Smith signed
Tue, 12 Sep 2006 14:31:08 -0700
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com reports the New England Patriots (http://www.kffl.com/team/24/nfl) have signed WR Jonathan Smith (http://www.kffl.com/player/9367/nfl) (Patriots). Details of the contract were not disclosed.

Dozerdog
09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I figured this would happen.

I think they cut Smith to make a roster spot until the Dieon Branch trade. Once that was finalized, they scooped him up again

Ickybaluky
09-13-2006, 04:50 AM
I figured this would happen.

I think they cut Smith to make a roster spot until the Dieon Branch trade. Once that was finalized, they scooped him up again

Deion wasn't taking up a roster spot, he was on the Reserve-Did Not Report list (which made him roster exempt). Also, since Smith is not a 4-year vet he does not qualify to have his salary guaranteed from being on the roster after the first game (that is for 4-year or more vets only).

The reason was simply Doug Gabriel suffering a hamstring injury during the week of practice, and Chad Jackson not being ready after missing all of camp. With those two out, the Pats were faced with Smith being their 3rd WR despite just getting signed that week. Smith has been signed to return punts and play ST, but was not as ready to contribute at WR.

Childress was on the Pats all last year (16 weeks on PS, 1 active) and all of training camp this year. He was more ready to play WR, so they activated him and cut Smith, who was a luxury they couldn't afford on ST because they were so short at WR.

With Gabriel returning this week, and Jackson being another week returned from his hamstring injury and possibly ready to contribute, Smith was re-signed.

Nothing sinister, just some roster juggling due to their being shorthanded at a position.

mybills
09-13-2006, 06:51 AM
:lolpoint: Everyone who said Belichick only wanted info out of him the first time.
I never believed that. :shakeno:

DynaPaul
09-13-2006, 09:51 AM
:lolpoint: Everyone who said Belichick only wanted info out of him the first time.
I never believed that. :shakeno:

I don't know, he could be trying to save face now that there's some negative press out there in the media.

Ickybaluky
09-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't know, he could be trying to save face now that there's some negative press out there in the media.

Yeah, he has always been so concerned about how he is percieved in the press. He is always letting that effect his judgement.

TigerJ
09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm glad for Fast Freddie. No, really, I am.

pats-were-right
09-13-2006, 12:02 PM

Yeah, because that issue was really going to blossom into the next Watergate had he not done anything.

DynaPaul
09-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah, because that issue was really going to blossom into the next Watergate had he not done anything.

Nah, the NFL would cover it up for their golden boys.