• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

Gregg Easterbrook: Week 1 special to ESPN

Two things TMQ learned from Week 1: There is a lot of bad coaching going on; and Monday Night Football lines the pockets of NFL players.

Adventures in Officiating: The Patriots were flagged for just one 5-yard infraction, although there were at least four plays on which a Patriots offensive lineman wrapped both arms around a Buffalo pass-rusher, and the Flying Elvii benefited from an extremely convenient inadvertent whistle that ended a play when a Buffalo runner had 50 yards of green grass between him and the end zone.

Meanwhile, the Bills were hit with seven penalties, including a ticky-tack nudge-in-the-back call that wiped out a fourth-quarter first down in New England territory and changed a scoring opportunity into a punt.

Come on Mike Pereira, supervisor of NFL officials, your guys are messing up week in and week out. Maybe the league needs new blood in this department: Pereira is no Jerry Seeman, that's for sure. And maybe NFL officials -- who work part-time, unlike the full-time officials of other pro sports -- simply are not up to the task as weekend warriors. The National Football League is the richest sport. Wouldn't some funding for full-time officials be worth a try?

Remember Gregg Easterbrook was on NFL.com until pressure from fans got ESPN to put his column back and he pulls no punches!
  • BuffaloBillsStampede
    • Aug 2005

Re: Gregg Easterbrook: Week 1 special to ESPN

Awesome article!
    SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• clumping platelets

He's also from Western NY

Comment

• lordofgun
        in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
        http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...erbrook/060912
        Adventures in Officiating: The Patriots were flagged for just one 5-yard infraction, although there were at least four plays on which a Patriots offensive lineman wrapped both arms around a Buffalo pass-rusher, and the Flying Elvii benefited from an extremely convenient inadvertent whistle that ended a play when a Buffalo runner had 50 yards of green grass between him and the end zone.

Meanwhile, the Bills were hit with seven penalties, including a ticky-tack nudge-in-the-back call that wiped out a fourth-quarter first down in New England territory and changed a scoring opportunity into a punt.

Come on Mike Pereira, supervisor of NFL officials, your guys are messing up week in and week out. Maybe the league needs new blood in this department: Pereira is no Jerry Seeman, that's for sure. And maybe NFL officials -- who work part-time, unlike the full-time officials of other pro sports -- simply are not up to the task as weekend warriors. The National Football League is the richest sport. Wouldn't some funding for full-time officials be worth a try?

Remember Gregg Easterbrook was on NFL.com until pressure from fans got ESPN to put his column back and he pulls no punches!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Scumbag College
          • Oct 2002

I'm glad we're not the only ones that think this. Schobel got held all game by their tackle.
          Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

Wow this is refreshing, although I wish he didn't have a WNY affiliation because that kind of puts the homer twist on it.

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

I am very curious, and have been for a long time, what the REAL reason is for the part-time ref crap...

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                • Sep 2004

That's what I call guts.
                The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• DynaPaul
                  • Sep 2003

The part-time excuse is there to hide the fact that the refs are biased. By making them part-time it makes them look they are rusty each week when in fact they aren't.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

He was born in Buffalo, but I think he's lived in MD for many years. He seems to have a lot of leaning toward the Skins. Either way, his article, as usual, is dead on.

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Jeff1220
                      He was born in Buffalo, but I think he's lived in MD for many years. He seems to have a lot of leaning toward the Skins. Either way, his article, as usual, is dead on.
                      Except, of course, the part where he indicates that Buffalo should have kicked on 4th down...
                      "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                        Sab and TD are insignificant
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by G. Host
                        http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...erbrook/060912

I will definitely be writing this guy to thank him for his input on something that is definitely wrong in the NFL.

In fact, I'm gonna provide a link to that story on my myspace site as well.
                        www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• dboston80
                          • Sep 2006

The ref's both College and Pro have looked pathetic!!!! These guys need the offseason and preseason as much as any player.....Its like they wait for the most crucial time to throw the flag....If u watched the OSU Texas game U would know..and the Pitt Miami game was ridiculous like 9 flags on Miami 1 on Pitt......kinda starnge IMO
                          ..by the powers that be at Finheaven..

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                            • May 2003

He's right. NFL officiating is totally incompetent, and last Sunday, we paid the price.
                            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                              Sab and TD are insignificant
                              • Sep 2002

Well, my myspace has been updated...

Now I'm going to write him to encourage him to keep criticizing the NFL Refs - especially when they're showing that much favoritism to a certain team that most of us on here hate.
                              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

Working...
                              X