PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Easterbrook: Week 1 special to ESPN

G. Host
09-13-2006, 12:52 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/060912
Adventures in Officiating: The Patriots were flagged for just one 5-yard infraction, although there were at least four plays on which a Patriots offensive lineman wrapped both arms around a Buffalo pass-rusher, and the Flying Elvii benefited from an extremely convenient inadvertent whistle that ended a play when a Buffalo runner had 50 yards of green grass between him and the end zone.

Meanwhile, the Bills were hit with seven penalties, including a ticky-tack nudge-in-the-back call that wiped out a fourth-quarter first down in New England territory and changed a scoring opportunity into a punt.

Come on Mike Pereira, supervisor of NFL officials, your guys are messing up week in and week out. Maybe the league needs new blood in this department: Pereira is no Jerry Seeman, that's for sure. And maybe NFL officials -- who work part-time, unlike the full-time officials of other pro sports -- simply are not up to the task as weekend warriors. The National Football League is the richest sport. Wouldn't some funding for full-time officials be worth a try?

Remember Gregg Easterbrook was on NFL.com until pressure from fans got ESPN to put his column back and he pulls no punches!

BuffaloBillsStampede
09-13-2006, 06:44 AM
Awesome article!

clumping platelets
09-13-2006, 07:53 AM
He's also from Western NY :ontome:

lordofgun
09-13-2006, 08:05 AM
Adventures in Officiating: The Patriots were flagged for just one 5-yard infraction, although there were at least four plays on which a Patriots offensive lineman wrapped both arms around a Buffalo pass-rusher, and the Flying Elvii benefited from an extremely convenient inadvertent whistle that ended a play when a Buffalo runner had 50 yards of green grass between him and the end zone.

Meanwhile, the Bills were hit with seven penalties, including a ticky-tack nudge-in-the-back call that wiped out a fourth-quarter first down in New England territory and changed a scoring opportunity into a punt.

Come on Mike Pereira, supervisor of NFL officials, your guys are messing up week in and week out. Maybe the league needs new blood in this department: Pereira is no Jerry Seeman, that's for sure. And maybe NFL officials -- who work part-time, unlike the full-time officials of other pro sports -- simply are not up to the task as weekend warriors. The National Football League is the richest sport. Wouldn't some funding for full-time officials be worth a try?

Remember Gregg Easterbrook was on NFL.com until pressure from fans got ESPN to put his column back and he pulls no punches!
:10:

Scumbag College
09-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm glad we're not the only ones that think this. Schobel got held all game by their tackle.

ddaryl
09-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Wow this is refreshing, although I wish he didn't have a WNY affiliation because that kind of puts the homer twist on it.

JJamezz
09-13-2006, 09:32 AM
I am very curious, and have been for a long time, what the REAL reason is for the part-time ref crap...

The last buffalo fan
09-13-2006, 09:34 AM
:bf1: That's what I call guts.

DynaPaul
09-13-2006, 09:37 AM
The part-time excuse is there to hide the fact that the refs are biased. By making them part-time it makes them look they are rusty each week when in fact they aren't.

Jeff1220
09-13-2006, 09:44 AM
He was born in Buffalo, but I think he's lived in MD for many years. He seems to have a lot of leaning toward the Skins. Either way, his article, as usual, is dead on.

MikeInRoch
09-13-2006, 10:15 AM
He was born in Buffalo, but I think he's lived in MD for many years. He seems to have a lot of leaning toward the Skins. Either way, his article, as usual, is dead on.

Except, of course, the part where he indicates that Buffalo should have kicked on 4th down...

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM

I will definitely be writing this guy to thank him for his input on something that is definitely wrong in the NFL.

In fact, I'm gonna provide a link to that story on my myspace site as well.

dboston80
09-13-2006, 10:48 AM
The ref's both College and Pro have looked pathetic!!!! These guys need the offseason and preseason as much as any player.....Its like they wait for the most crucial time to throw the flag....If u watched the OSU Texas game U would know..and the Pitt Miami game was ridiculous like 9 flags on Miami 1 on Pitt......kinda starnge IMO

Jan Reimers
09-13-2006, 11:03 AM
He's right. NFL officiating is totally incompetent, and last Sunday, we paid the price.

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, my myspace has been updated...

Now I'm going to write him to encourage him to keep criticizing the NFL Refs - especially when they're showing that much favoritism to a certain team that most of us on here hate.

Jan Reimers
09-13-2006, 11:19 AM
The part-time excuse is there to hide the fact that the refs are biased.
I don't want to believe that, I don't think I believe that, but the more I watch, the harder it is NOT to believe that.

I now find myself focusing as much or more on the officiating as I do on the game itself, looking for a flag after every play, and just waiting for the killer call that will take the game away from us. And it happens WAY too often.

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Bump

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Someone sticky this thread, and put the story on the main page if it's not already there...

G. Host
09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Easterbrook does a column every week - remember to read the entire column to read it in content. I do not always agree with him but he is a good writer unlike Jerry Sullivan. I lovr his team knicknames.

Jeff1220
09-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I enjoy Easterbrook's columns more than just about any sportswriter. They are usually smart and funny, while being pretty insightful and honest. I also enjoy Bill Simmons' humor, but it's hard to stomach his love for NE teams.

Mr. Miyagi
09-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Easterbrook does a column every week - remember to read the entire column to read it in content. I do not always agree with him but he is a good writer unlike Jerry Sullivan. I lovr his team knicknames.
And there's a special place in his heart (and articles) for cheerleaders as well. :up:

evol4276
09-13-2006, 03:53 PM
gee finally a non-PAT biased view on the game.. hmm great article here!

G. Host
09-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Whether I agree with him or not I enjoy his articles; I would how good he would be as a color man?

Statman
09-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Great piece!

Time for F/T refs.