PDA

View Full Version : Troy Vincent placed on I.R.

bernielivsey_1
09-13-2006, 12:31 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4131

Well, it looks like its up to the youngsters. And Coy. oh god oh god oh god

Troy Vincent's hamstring injury in Week One has brought an abrupt end to his 2006 season. The Bills starting free safety was placed on injured reserve as his injury left Buffalo with just three healthy safeties on their roster.

With Vincent's injury likely to keep him out three to four weeks it would have left the Bills with only Ko Simpson, Coy Wire and Donte Whitner available as veteran Matt Bowen is still on the mend. Bowen did not practice with the team Wednesday.

It's anticipated that Buffalo's rookie safeties, Whitner and Simpson will start Sunday at Miami.

Both played three quarters of last week's game together and didn't give up much to Tom Brady and the New England offense. Whitner finished with seven tackles and his first career interception. Simpson finished with six tackles.

For Vincent the injury could potentially signal the end to a fabulous career that began in Miami when he was taken by the Dolphins with the seventh overall pick in the 1992 NFL Draft.

Vincent went to the Pro Bowl five consecutive years from 2000-2004 as a cornerback. He's played in 199 NFL games in his career and entered the 2006 season as the NFL leader in interceptions among active players with 47. He tied for the team lead in interceptions in 2005 with four and set a career high with 102 tackles for Buffalo last season.

OpIv37
09-13-2006, 12:32 PM
PLEASE tell me no one signed Rashad Baker yet....

bernielivsey_1
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Vikings I think. Leonard should still be out there though.

Mr. Miyagi
09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
PLEASE tell me no one signed Rashad Baker yet....
Gone to the Vikes. :(

Mr. Miyagi
09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Vikings I think. Leonard should still be out there though.
Yes he is. :up:

G. Host
09-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Broken Link

Try this:
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4131

Devin
09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
While Im happy because I truly believe those two are gonna be monsters in the middle, its very unfortunate to have Vincent on the shelf. Because until Bowen gets back our only option is Coy "junior-varsity" Wire.

RedEyE
09-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Did Baker sign to just the Vikes Practice Squad?

bigbub2352
09-13-2006, 12:38 PM
time to start looking for a saftey this is why he should have been cut with the final ones, then we would have still had rashd baker bad move by DJ, i was a fan of staring Rashard and letting Ko learn under him, but he we are with another hole

ICE74129
Ok this smells fishy to me. he has a hammy...and goes on IR almost immediately? Hummmm.....

Maybe the two kids are to a point he can 'retire' and become a coach? I remember reading somewhere the bills approached him to be one?

Devin
Did Baker sign to just the Vikes Practice Squad?

Nah I believe hes on their active roster.

THATHURMANATOR
Why is he out for the year?

Do they have someone else in mind? Will Bowen be back soon.

G. Host
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Baker is on active roster:
http://www.nfl.com/teams/rosters/MIN

Minnesota Not Active
QB 9 B.Bollinger, WR 18 M.Mann, RB 22 A.Pinner, S 24 D.Smith, S 28 R.Baker, LB 50 M.Cooper, C 62 R.Cook, TE 83 J.Dugan

ICE74129
09-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Why is he out for the year?

Do they have someone else in mind? Will Bowen be back soon.

T, I really think this is a BS deal. And I don't mean in a bad way. He 'pulls a hammy' (wink wink) and the kids come in and do really well. Then with no mention of a MRI, no signifigant updates saying how bad off he was, no being carted off the field....he is just all of a sudden on IR? Ummmm...no :bandwagon

I bet he is a coach on our staff pretty soon.

THATHURMANATOR
09-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Yes but we are very thin now at safety. Why cut Baker?

RedEyE
09-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Do the Bills need to pull the trigger and trade for depth?

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Damn. That sucks. He is a class act and it would suck to see his career end while injured.

THATHURMANATOR
09-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Yep.

RedEyE
09-13-2006, 12:56 PM
T, I really think this is a BS deal. And I don't mean in a bad way. He 'pulls a hammy' (wink wink) and the kids come in and do really well. Then with no mention of a MRI, no signifigant updates saying how bad off he was, no being carted off the field....he is just all of a sudden on IR? Ummmm...no :bandwagon

I bet he is a coach on our staff pretty soon.

You may be right. As of yesterday the media was saying that both vincent and Spikes were expected to play. WTF happened there?

Maybe TV ruptured the hammy?

TigerJ
09-13-2006, 12:58 PM
Ok this smells fishy to me. he has a hammy...and goes on IR almost immediately? Hummmm.....

Maybe the two kids are to a point he can 'retire' and become a coach? I remember reading somewhere the bills approached him to be one?

On the Bills' website, it was indicated his injury would keep him out of action for at least 3 or 4 weeks. I think it is simply a question of the Bills not being willing to wait. If he's out for 4 weeks, that's four starts for promising rookie. Ko Simpson. You think after getting that much playing time as starter, Buffalo's going to want to tell him he's got to come back out so Methuselah can play. I don't think so. After Vincent heals up, I would expect to give him an injury settlement so he can sign with someone else if another team gets hard up for free safety help during the season. Otherwise, his career is done.

RedEyE
09-13-2006, 01:00 PM
On the Bills' website, it was indicated his injury would keep him out of action for at least 3 or 4 weeks. I think it is simply a question of the Bills not being willing to wait. If he's out for 4 weeks, that's four starts for promising rookie. Ko Simpson. You think after getting that much playing time as starter, Buffalo's going to want to tell him he's got to come back out so Methuselah can play. I don't think so. After Vincent heals up, I would expect to give him an injury settlement so he can sign with someone else if another team gets hard up for free safety help during the season. Otherwise, his career is done.

Here's the link with that:

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4131

ICE74129
09-13-2006, 01:00 PM

A 3-4 week injury with 16 more weeks left? No way, I think they have talked to him and the younger guys start, while he becomes a coach.

Kelly The Dog
09-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Wire simply cannot play FS, he can barely play SS. With Bowen hurt, and not playing this week and we don't know when he will be back, we would have to cut a player we don't want to cut if we don't IR TV. Plus, TV was really the careholder until Ko took his job, as soon as they realized that Ko was a player, which was the middle of the summer. With TV out 3-4 more weeks, there is not a great reason to then restart TV and ****** Ko's learning curve. He'll already be well into it, especially if game one was any indication.

They will likely sign Leonhard until Bowen is back. Bowen can play FS but Wire cannot. Then they can cut Leonhard or Wire when Bowen is healthy because we will no longer need five safeties.

DynaPaul
09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
I think we're in good hands with Simpson and Whitner. Sure, they'll make rookie mistakes but we gotta get these guys in there and get them primed as full time starters. Plus we'll have a lot more speed on the field.

T-Long
09-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Let's trade Wire for Baker and hope Bowen can return quickly.

L.A. Playa
09-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Let's trade Wire for Baker and hope Bowen can return quickly.

only Baker you would get for Wire is the corpse of Father Baker

Saratoga Slim
09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm OK with this. Ko gets playing time, and we aren't likely to make a playoff run anywy. I really do hope they keep Vincent around in a staff capacity at least for this year. I was not in favor of Vincent getting cut, b/c I think his all-world experience is a huge asset for Simpson and Whitner. Otherwise, our D played all right with 5 rookies on the field against NE at home, so might as well keep them on the field. If Bowen were healthy I'd feel even better.

Anyway, if this is it, thanks for a solid couple years in a Bills uni, Troy.

Earthquake Enyart
09-13-2006, 01:24 PM
They need to let the kids play for 16 games. Just like JP.

FlyingDutchman
09-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Its Ko time baby! Sucks for Vincent and I love the guy, but im really excited to watch Ko. I think this guy will end up being a pro bowler at some time in his career. He has all the tools, and now will get the experience early on. This guy is gonna be a beast, I know it!

Gunzlingr
09-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I think Ice has been hanging around Patti.

evol4276
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
this sucks because we're facing a little bit more of a recieving threat this week rather than last week. i hope we can get a lot of pressure on daunte because this might be scary from time to time. I do have confidence in our rookie safeties, especially whitner, but just not that early in the year yet. Here's to hopefully proving me wrong!!

ublinkwescore
09-13-2006, 01:35 PM
I hope we start Simpson - then we'll have a TKO and a KO on the field at the same time.

ICE74129
09-13-2006, 01:39 PM
I think Ice has been hanging around Patti.

Do what? The guy has a 3-4 week injury. It happened week 1 of the regular season. you do NOT put a guy on IR for that.

Jan Reimers
09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
I think that actually it may be well to have Ko Simpson start the entire season, particularly if Vincent hangs around as a de facto coach. That way, we get most of our bigtime D rookies battle hardened for next year.

But we still need a backup FS. The Bills' Depth Chart at FS now lists Simpson. Period. Bowen and Wire are Strong Safeties. With Baker gone, Leonhard may be a good choice.

BTW, I believe that Baker spent too many games on our active roster to be on anyone's PS.

Kerr
09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
It's bittersweet. The bad part is TV is out for the year, but the good part is KO is going to start getting more seasoning. I think it's another case of TV putting the team ahead of himself. I don't think dj and co. would put him or IR without his consent.

Kerr
09-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Also, I'd like to see leonhard brought back.

L.A. Playa
09-13-2006, 01:43 PM
It's bittersweet. The bad part is TV is out for the year, but the good part is KO is going to start getting more seasoning. I think it's another case of TV putting the team ahead of himself. I don't think dj and co. would put him or IR without his consent.

if they did TV could file a grivence with the head of the players union

CAbills
09-13-2006, 01:44 PM

Bowen played FS when he was on the Packers.

don137
09-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I think that actually it may be well to have Ko Simpson start the entire season, particularly if Vincent hangs around as a de facto coach. That way, we get most of our bigtime D rookies battle hardened for next year.

But we still need a backup FS. The Bills' Depth Chart at FS now lists Simpson. Period. Bowen and Wire are Strong Safeties. With Baker gone, Leonhard may be a good choice.

BTW, I believe that Baker spent too many games on our active roster to be on anyone's PS.

I was going to post the same thing...The Bills brass obviously feel they will be better off with Vincent coaching them and Simpson playing the next 15 games and freeing up a roster spot then having Simpson start only 3-4 weeks and start Vincent when healthy.
I just hope the Bills give Vincent a coaching job at the end of the year. He has earned it.

Meathead
09-13-2006, 01:57 PM
well i was incredulously impressed with simpsons play so early in his career. i kept checking the jersey and yep it was simpson again. either he played out of his head lucky or the dude just has a nose for the ball. so im quite eager to see if he can keep that level of play going

still i refuse to give up on the playoffs and would rather have vincents experience back there if i could. but gotta trust the coaches judgment, even if round one of their judgment was tarnished by the botched fourth and one call

mybills
09-13-2006, 01:58 PM
With TV out 3-4 more weeks, there is not a great reason to then restart TV and ****** Ko's learning curve.
:chuckle:

Kerr
09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Bowen played FS when he was on the Packers.

If i'm not mistaken, he played SS with the redskins.

X-Era
09-13-2006, 03:29 PM
I moust be honest, Troy's skills have dimished greatly since Philly. He can be a great teacher for Ko and Donte.

But, I think Ko Simpson has better speed and since this is a new scheme anyways, I cant even argue that Troy knows all the plays. Ko gives up alot as far as experience obviously. But, this was brought on by injury.

Having Ko get the full time play from day two means he will be developed just that much faster. He has shown he can play.

Id never wish an injury on anyone. But I think Ko was liable to be the starter mid season anyways. If I forget the injury, Im glad Ko is starting sooner rather than later; it will only help our long term outlook.

Gunzlingr
09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Where have you been the last 3 hrs.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=108208

X-Era
09-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Where have you been the last 3 hrs.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=108208

Uhh, I was right here and theres a HUGE difference between 4 weeks and out for the season.

That wasnt my point anyways and its a point you didnt address. The point of my post was that we benefit in the long run from Ko starting now, I think we are actually better for it.

My post is on Ko not Troy.

Michael82
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Bring Jim Leonhard back. :pray:

L.A. Playa
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Bring Jim Leonhard back. :pray:

reading is fundamental Mikey they already did

Michael82
09-13-2006, 09:45 PM
reading is fundamental Mikey they already did
I saw that. :up:

But I still say that they ****ed up when they didn't keep Baker. :sigh:

TigerJ
09-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Listening to WGR, they explained that there is actually a special designation the Bills used for Vincent's situation on IR. He has been put on a minor injury IR. The rules are a little different. As soon as his injury is healed, the Bills are required to waive Vincent. As per any other waiver situation, any other team can pick him up under his current 2 year contract. If he clears waivers, then he becomes a free agent. I think at that point Buffalo could offer him a new contract and he could come back and play for the Bills this season. I wouldn't expect that to happen though. If no one picks him up off of waivers or signs him as a free agent, it would not surprise me to see the Bills offer to make him an assistant secondary coach