PDA

View Full Version : clarification on vincent move

djjimkelly
09-13-2006, 05:41 PM
he was put on minor injured reserve which means bills must release him in next few weeks.

then he hits waiver wire.

where he wont be claimed making his 4 mil a year and his contract thru 2009

this means in 4-5 weeks he will be a FA that we or anyone can resign

L.A. Playa
09-13-2006, 05:45 PM
is this a new super secret IR list the NFL has ??? I am pretty sure the president of the NFLPA wouldnt go for taht move if it was even possible

The_Philster
09-13-2006, 05:52 PM
:link:

Bill Brasky
09-13-2006, 05:56 PM
can they trade him if he's on IR?

chernobylwraiths
09-13-2006, 05:56 PM
He said on GR that he could come back and play in 4-6 weeks. But he also said, not for the Bills. I think he will be released. I tell you what though, they interviewed him on GR and said it was a good move and that he had discussed it with management before they did it. The guy seems like pure class.

Bill Brasky
09-13-2006, 05:58 PM
He always has been... I'll be sad to see him go (if and when he does)

Albany,n.y.
09-13-2006, 06:03 PM
can they trade him if he's on IR?
No, he must be waived when healthy.

Typ0
09-13-2006, 06:35 PM
I think it sounds like a win win solution right from the outset. This may be the only way TV really gets a shot at playing again this season. It obviously was too hard a decision to cut TV but he doesn't really fit that well with our defense and he's getting older. If he rehabs it's may be tough for him to break our lineup unless these kids fail completely...and the coaching staff must think they are not going to fail. It's just too hard to have him here and not be playing. So do the guy a favor...reach a decent injury settlement with him and he's got some $$ on his contract...and then he can seek out a place to play some real football before he is too old to play at all.

Yasgur's Farm
09-13-2006, 06:38 PM
If a team picks him up off of waivers, they would be obliged to pay his $2.6M salary. If he clears waivers, he becomes a free agent and can negotiate a contract with any team.

That being said... I can't see any team claiming him and his salary.

ParanoidAndroid
09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
He should retire and start his coaching career.

The_Philster
09-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Adam S on NFL Network speculated on his possible retirement :idunno:

Typ0
09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
If a team picks him up off of waivers, they would be obliged to pay his $2.6M salary. If he clears waivers, he becomes a free agent and can negotiate a contract with any team.

That being said... I can't see any team claiming him and his salary.

I thought the injury settlement worked differently. Essentially we are buying out a portion of his contract and releasing him if we reach an injury settlement. I wish someone who knew more about this would chime in.

HHURRICANE
09-13-2006, 07:35 PM
He said on GR that he could come back and play in 4-6 weeks. But he also said, not for the Bills. I think he will be released. I tell you what though, they interviewed him on GR and said it was a good move and that he had discussed it with management before they did it. The guy seems like pure class.

This is where we need Clumpy. Do we have any Salary Cap hangover next year?! Was this the last year of his contract. I thought that once you made the 53 man roster and started that your salary was guaranteed?!

HHURRICANE
09-13-2006, 07:38 PM
One other point. Guaranteeing that we wouldn't franchise Clements must mean that we really thought he was overrated. Is YoBouty his replacement?!

chernobylwraiths
09-13-2006, 08:07 PM
This is where we need Clumpy. Do we have any Salary Cap hangover next year?! Was this the last year of his contract. I thought that once you made the 53 man roster and started that your salary was guaranteed?!

I heard that he is signed through 2009 at $3 mil. per.

Ickybaluky
09-13-2006, 09:03 PM
He was placed on IR as a procedural move. It is standard for a guy who is injured to be placed on IR until an injury settlement is worked out. He will remain on IR until and injury settlement is worked out, at which point he will be released. If an injury settlement can not be agreed upon in the next few weeks, he will be released, and can file a grievance to receive his money. This is a standard process that occurs all the time.

As a vet, Vincent is not subject to waivers. He is free to sign a new contract with any team once he is healthy. If his injury settlement is for 4 weeks, he can sign with another team at that point. If it is 6 weeks, that is how long he has to wait.

clumping platelets
09-13-2006, 09:11 PM
:movie:

Dr. Lecter
09-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Any veteran who is on an opening day roster is guarenteed his money for the season.

DMBcrew36
09-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Listen to Troy on wgr55.com. I could be wrong, but this is what I interpreted. He says minor IR means he can't come back for 4-6 weeks and wouldn't be able to come back unless it were for another team. He says he is just going to sit for the rest of the season and teach the younger guys like Ko and Whitner.

Typ0
09-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Any veteran who is on an opening day roster is guarenteed his money for the season.

that's not true.

clumping platelets
09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Any vested veteran IS guaranteed his salary if on opening day roster.....this is why Troy and the Bills must negotiate an injury settlement.

northernbillfan
09-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Clump???

Clarity needed.

northernbillfan
09-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Never mind, thanks cap master C.

billsburgh
09-13-2006, 11:57 PM
:bf1: Troy Vincent. How many other players would be willing to come in and help younger players prepare when they dont have anything to gain from it? I would bet that there aren't too many players who would do this.

Night Train
09-14-2006, 04:13 AM

That is correct. He will collect his 2.3 Mil salary for 2006.

I feel for the guy but this was his last season anyhow. He's a class act but he's lost his legs and is breaking down. He's done.

I realize how pissed Spikes is but that's pride talking. Vincent could only help us win by teaching the younger players what to do, since he himself is no longer able to do it.

Jan Reimers
09-14-2006, 06:52 AM
I wish we had cut him as a player earlier, named him an assistant to work with the young DBs, and kept Rashad Baker. The timing of this thing means we gave up a better player (Baker) for a lesser one (Leonhard).

I guess we were hoping that Vincent would hold up for a half season or so, to give Simpson some time to learn the position and take over as the starter.

X-Era
09-14-2006, 07:00 AM
That is correct. He will collect his 2.3 Mil salary for 2006.

I feel for the guy but this was his last season anyhow. He's a class act but he's lost his legs and is breaking down. He's done.

I realize how pissed Spikes is but that's pride talking. Vincent could only help us win by teaching the younger players what to do, since he himself is no longer able to do it.

Ohh crap, we needed that 2.3. Now we will only be under the cap by 11 million, dammit.

Spend some frikkin money please!

ddaryl
09-14-2006, 07:06 AM
He should retire and start his coaching career.

That would be an ace move for the Bills, he seems to be one heluva a great mentor.

Dr. Lecter
09-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Ohh crap, we needed that 2.3. Now we will only be under the cap by 11 million, dammit.

Spend some frikkin money please!

And whom should they spend the money on?

Ickybaluky
09-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Yes, if he were to stay on IR. However, then he couldn't play again this season.

Vincent has been put on minor IR. That means the Bills can release him once an injury settlement is reached, within 6 weeks. If they can't reach a settlement the Bills can still release him, but Vincent will have to file to get his money.

Basically, if Vincent does want to sit out the season he can get his full salary. If he wants to play again this year with another team, he can take the settlement and become a free agent. That is why he is considering retirement, because that means he would get his full salary.

However, if he thinks he can sign with another team and play, he will take his settlement and move on. This is common practice, it happens all the time.

HHURRICANE
09-14-2006, 08:01 AM
:movie:

Help!

Typ0
09-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Any vested veteran IS guaranteed his salary if on opening day roster.....this is why Troy and the Bills must negotiate an injury settlement.

why would he want to negotiate an injury settlement to get paid for a few weeks when he can get paid for the whole season?

Ickybaluky
09-14-2006, 09:56 AM
why would he want to negotiate an injury settlement to get paid for a few weeks when he can get paid for the whole season?

Because he wants to play.

The settlement might not be for a few weeks, it could be for a much larger amount. The point is, given his status the Bills are forced to release him in 6 weeks if he is healthy and wants to play elsewhere. Either they reach an agreement and he takes X amount of money and moves on, or he is released and that amount is settled in a grievance later on. Assuming he wants to play again, that is what will happen.

If he is happy sitting on IR all season he can do so and collect his entire salary. However, if he wants to play he will be released within 6 weeks so he can sign with another team. That is the way the process works.

BTW, if he does reach a settlement for less than his current salary, the Bills get cap relief for the difference. If the matter is grieved and a settlement is reached after the season that is less than his salary, then that cap relief will occur in the form of a credit on next year's cap.

Saratoga Slim
09-14-2006, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure I agree with Spikes. The move seemed to be predicated at least partially on the short-term goal of getting another safety active for the next 2-3 games. That sounds to me like Jauron wants to win those games, not that he's cutting Vincent as a rebuilding move. I mean its not like they cut Vincent to make room for Leonhard and get him developing. If that was the real reason for the move, it would have been made in preseason.

TigerJ
09-14-2006, 12:17 PM
WGR had a guest on from Pro Football Weekly (no not Pro Football Talk) who explained this minor injured reserve. He said it is not used often, but cted a case where another team used it last year. Vincent cannot come back to the Bills from this injured reserve designation, but djjimkelly is correct in that once he becomes a free agent he can sign with anyone.

NE39, I don't think with an injury like a hamstring pull that is expected to heal in a few weeks there will be an issue of a settlement. Vincent knows he's going to be physically able to play again this season, and will do so if he has the opportunity. The rules are different for this form of IR than the standard IR. I have not seen the rules that pertain to it, but guys who know more than me (i.e. guys who get paid to know this stuff) say he will be waived as soon as he's healthy as per the rules. You'll have to find a link to the rules before I believe otherwise.

The_Philster
09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
WGR had a guest on from Pro Football Weekly (no not Pro Football Talk) who explained this minor injured reserve. He said it is not used often, but cted a case where another team used it last year. Vincent cannot come back to the Bills from this injured reserve designation, but djjimkelly is correct in that once he becomes a free agent he can sign with anyone.

NE39, I don't think with an injury like a hamstring pull that is expected to heal in a few weeks there will be an issue of a settlement. Vincent knows he's going to be physically able to play again this season, and will do so if he has the opportunity. The rules are different for this form of IR than the standard IR. I have not seen the rules that pertain to it, but guys who know more than me (i.e. guys who get paid to know this stuff) say he will be waived as soon as he's healthy as per the rules. You'll have to find a link to the rules before I believe otherwise.
We used it on Steve Christie in 2001

L.A. Playa
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
I stand corrected who cares at this point anyway Vincent has lost a few steps and a pulled hammy would only make him that much slower, if he wants to help the younger guys then great if he doesnt then oh well thats why you have position coaches and Iam sure these guys are used to studying film by now

Stewie
09-14-2006, 07:36 PM
that's not true.

yes, it was true

and it was a boneheaded rookie mistake by our GM.

If there was even a 10% chance of this happening, it was Levy's responsibility to cut vincent before the season started.

Now we pay 2.6 million for a guy to play in one game. It's not like we're the redskins here...

Marv has no trouble wasting Ralphs money

Stewie
09-14-2006, 07:39 PM

He will get paid 2.6 million on top of whatever he negotiates with his new team.