PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo works out FB Troy Fleming

Ickybaluky
09-14-2006, 02:55 PM
I don't know if this is breaking news, but I figured I'd pass it along:

LINK (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section_id=7&screen=news&news_id=52116) (Bottom of article)

<b>TRYOUTS: Fullback Troy Fleming, released by Tennessee, had a tryout in Buffalo, while ex-Titans quarterback Matt Mauck visited the Detroit Lions.</b>

OpIv37
09-14-2006, 02:59 PM
That's what Shelton gets for whiffing on 3 blocks against the Pats.

Meathead
09-14-2006, 03:02 PM
lol well i dont think thats necessarily the reason, everybody has a bad game. but shelton sure did have a bad game hoo boy. his overall pattern has been excellent so unless the bills have seen someting otherwise i wouldnt make that connection right now

Kerr
09-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Would fleming be that much of an upgrade? How are his blocking skills?

Ickybaluky
09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Fleming spent the last 2 years with the Titans, after they drafted him in the 6th round of 2004. You can find his NFL.com profile HERE (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/492935).

Don't know much about him, but he played in college at Tennessee and is considered a RB/FB-tweener. He is big at 6-0, 245#, but is probably more an option as a big HB than a FB.

TigerJ
09-15-2006, 07:48 AM
We all know Buffalo is bringing in people for tryouts all the time. It's part of the whole process of building and maintaining a good team. You have to keep an up to date database on players who are available should they be needed at some point in time. I imagine that if Buffalo were to replace Shelton this year they might first look to Alan Ricard and Jon Goldsberry.

mysticsoto
09-15-2006, 08:17 AM
We all know Buffalo is bringing in people for tryouts all the time. It's part of the whole process of building and maintaining a good team. You have to keep an up to date database on players who are available should they be needed at some point in time. I imagine that if Buffalo were to replace Shelton this year they might first look to Alan Ricard and Jon Goldsberry.

Personally, I didn't think Ricard looked that bad. I was suprised that Shelton won over him. But if he continues to play like last Sunday, he will be replaced immediately!!!

Jan Reimers
09-15-2006, 08:24 AM
I know one thing. We love University of Tennessee players.

bigbub2352
09-15-2006, 09:50 AM
I am glad they are bringing guys in Shelton is over the hill and i think he is one of the main reasons why we had problems against NE, he wiffs on too many blocks, and if we can see it by watching the games, how can DJ and the coaches not see it when they break down game film, plus Shelton is a moron, we can definetly do better here

ParanoidAndroid
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
So why didn't Ricard stick?

BILLSROCK1212
09-15-2006, 04:34 PM
So why didn't Ricard stick?
idk but i deffinetly think he shud have i guess the coaching staff saw something that we didnt

HHURRICANE
09-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I was surpised that Ricard didn't beat out Shelton. But man did Shelton suck the big one this past weekend. Maybe he's peaked.

Goobylal
09-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Ricard got injured. Maybe if he heals-up they might re-sign him, unless someone else better comes along, which is doubtful.

BILLSROCK1212
09-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Ricard got injured. Maybe if he heals-up they might re-sign him, unless someone else better comes along, which is doubtful.

Oh my gosh! Fred Beasly anyone?

Goobylal
09-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Oh my gosh! Fred Beasly anyone?
I can only assume that if the Bills (or anyone else for that matter) haven't brought Beasley in, he's washed-up. I'm really tired of seeing Shelton in there.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-16-2006, 12:34 AM
Personally, I didn't think Ricard looked that bad. I was suprised that Shelton won over him. But if he continues to play like last Sunday, he will be replaced immediately!!!

The fact that they keep looking at people to replace Shelton tells me that they're not that happy with what they have seen from Shelton thus far. I think that Ricard might have had a real shot at beating Shelton out if he had not been injured so much.

As I recall, Dick Jauron made a brief, off-the-cuff, one-line comment during the preseason in a response to a question about Ricard during a press conference before Ricard got cut indicating that, while he thought Ricard had looked good, Ricard needed to be on the field more. It was almost as if Jauron's attitude was, "Yeah, the guy's pretty good, but that's not much help to the team if he's injured and can't get out there and play". That's why I wasn't that surprised or disappointed when Ricard was cut--I just figured that the coaching staff figured that they'd rather keep a guy who might not be quite as good but will be ready to play than a guy who might be a bit better but would be in and out of the lineup.

If that's the attitude that the coaches have, that could be an element in how they handled the Troy Vincent situation as well: "yeah, the guy can help mentor our young guys, but he's not worth spending a roster spot on if he's not going to be able to play and that hammy could act up again and keep him from being able to play again later in the season--if he was healthy it would be a different story but we need to get someone in here who is going to be able to play this week".